Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Idiot golfer orders a set of blades

Hook DeLoft

I love my T200 Irons with MMT graphite shafts but, when I hit in the nets I use my old Nickent 7DX irons as I don't want to mark the T200 Irons lol. I'm actually hitting the 7DXs really well, just not as comfortable as T200 with hitting alot of balls.

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 4/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, NRJyzr said:

I feel I've done well, not responding to a blade thread until page 2.  LOL

I've never understood the ruckus that blades cause.  I feel like they may work for a greater segment of the golf populace than many think.  That said, I know there is a considerable group for whom they will *not* work.

My take is, if you're curious, try them.  And by that, I mean *really* try them, something more than just a few rounds over a couple of weeks.  If they don't work, then you'll know.  If they do, muy bueno, and off you go.

I don't see it as many do, that it's a "play what you like regardless of score" toggle switch.  For me, I play them because I get better results with them.  Including score.  Maybe you won't see this in your own use.  And, maybe you will.  Won't know unless you try.  <shrug>

So.... I feel like I'm on reddit...   definitely not an idiot.   🙂

I had to look up reddit because i thought it was a pharmaceutical of some kind....   🥴

Some swings are better suited to the narrower sole of a blade.  Don't forget about turf interaction when assessing how well a club works for you.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Not an idiot at all.  Have gone back and forth with irons.  I found that the more blade like irons taught me a lot.  I learned to hit the ball more consistently on the sweet spot and to feel the difference when I was off just a little.  I think you can get sloppy when hitting game improvement irons.  I have settled on the T100s irons.  For me they are the right combination of feel and forgiveness.  I don't hit it as far as my playing partners but distance isn't always the only goal.  

Reading through these makes me want to go and buy a set of blades and join the "idiot" club. I mean i kinda have blades? but not real blades.. so i feel like a 'idiot poser" ... giving me lots to think about... 

Twitter: @bobbyburdette

Instagram: bobbyburdette

For anyone reading through this thread with an "itch" for blades. It's relatively cheap to just buy one or two irons and give 'em a try. There are lots of decent and not exceedingly old blades out there that you can buy an individual iron of to give a try without having to spend a few hundred bucks on a used set. Buying used sets of blades will often yield some weird results as the golfers that use blades full-time generally have very specific fitting needs. You will find all sorts of weird crap when you take apart used blades such as excessive weight added to the bottom of the shaft in the hosel, lead tape, various levels of tape under the grips, and even some custom grinding on occasion. You typically don't find the weird stuff if you're buying irons being sold individually that may have just been a demo iron or was an extra. 

Grew up playing blades, cause before CB's, that's all there were. So I have quite a resume on MB's. 

Today's golfer has lots of choices,  but I  believe in order to understand MB's, one should play at least one set, and have some experience  with them.

You will either get along with them, or you won't. They are not magical, nor are they difficult. It is certainly not an idiot purchase, maybe more of a natural progression of your game.

Enjoy the journey, enjoy the clubs,

At some point, you will probably make another decision, regarding your equipment,  it is  all about choices.

Congratulations on your purchase

It's okay to play the blades. just hit them in the middle of the face. if not don't play for money. That and the people you play with will use a 9 iron and you'll need to use a 6 iron. I can it a ball on the toe and only be 10 yards short still straight , A blade will never ever do that. but it does feel good if you do hit it in the middle of the face.1 out of 6 times. 

On 3/28/2022 at 3:34 PM, chisag said:

... That said, I think everyone serious about golf should have a set or have at least played one set of MB's in their golfing life. I know some like to claim nirvana on a perfectly struck MB but I cannot tell the difference between a perfectly struck MB or a perfectly struck CB as long as they are both a soft carbon steel. MB's are just fun and remind you why you don't play them. 🤪

I think this is such an understated point.  Everyone goes through a stage and quite honestly, having blades as the control group gives some strong perspective on what works best for you and your game.

As a former 670 player, I loved loved loved those irons but know full well after the fact, I would have played much better golf had I played something more forgiving.  

But let's not overlook the fact that they look soooo pure when sitting in a stand bag on the first tee box 🙂

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 4/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, Kansas King said:

I currently play the Maltby MMB 17s which have the be the most forgiving "blade" in existence

Speaking of the MMB17s, I believe these are set to be their successor (The TS4s on the right) and Woo Buddy am I excited to try these out. 

842e77beca93290ecbe1919621113dd6acac9b51_4.jpeg

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

4 hours ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Speaking of the MMB17s, I believe these are set to be their successor (The TS4s on the right) and Woo Buddy am I excited to try these out. 

842e77beca93290ecbe1919621113dd6acac9b51_4.jpeg

I'm very much looking forward to TS3 variant. However, it sounds like were looking at late '23 into '24 before they are released. It sounds like they are really fighting the supply chain and everything is taking a long time. I'm going to be curious to see if the TS3 is going to be a good replacement for the TE. The TE has a very low COG and the TS3 looks like it has a lot of mass down low. It seems GolfWorks will make an iron until the day it stops selling, so I don't know that we will see the end of the TE/DBM anytime soon but the TS3 looks like it will have a lot of overlap. I really like how the TS4 is looking but if I can get a similar profile in the TS3, I'll take the extra forgiveness the wider sole and slightly higher MOI will provide. 

On 5/3/2022 at 5:58 PM, Kansas King said:

I'm very much looking forward to TS3 variant. However, it sounds like were looking at late '23 into '24 before they are released. It sounds like they are really fighting the supply chain and everything is taking a long time. I'm going to be curious to see if the TS3 is going to be a good replacement for the TE. The TE has a very low COG and the TS3 looks like it has a lot of mass down low. It seems GolfWorks will make an iron until the day it stops selling, so I don't know that we will see the end of the TE/DBM anytime soon but the TS3 looks like it will have a lot of overlap. I really like how the TS4 is looking but if I can get a similar profile in the TS3, I'll take the extra forgiveness the wider sole and slightly higher MOI will provide. 

The last update I saw said that the TS3 may be late '22 and the TS4 was still working out a design change and may be further into '23 (I may be wrong but I am hoping that its not pushed back further). And you are very right about GW selling until it no longer sells, for example they no longer make a 3i for the TE or DBM because the sales weren't justifying it (Man I wish I could've gotten one of the DBM 3i heads when they were on clearance)

I am personally interested in testing them both out and seeing how they perform for me, the TS3 is closer to what I currently play (TM r7TPs) but the TS4s are closer to my old set (Titleist 690MBs) and would love to play blades again. So, maybe I will be a future "idiot golfer orders a set of blades" LOL

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2022 at 1:25 AM, Kanoito said:

Have fun with those! And to clarify, we are all idiots... just in different areas 😄

I played Mizuno MP59 when I was still shooting 110 🥰

that is freakin cool though, don't matter what you shoot, just enjoy the game how you like with what you like

Driver: Taylormade M5 9* Graphite Design True Spec Stiff 

3W: Taylormade SIM Max 15* Graphite Design IZ Stiff

Hybrid: Mizuno JPZ EZ Graphite Design DI Stiff 

3 Iron: Srixon ZXU Graphite Design DI Stiff

4-PW: Srixon ZX7 MKII Modus 120 Stiff 

50/54/60: Titleist SM 8 Tour Chrome Modus 120 Stiff 

Putter: Odyssey OG Rossie S

Grips: GP TV 360 

Bag: PING Moonlite Tropic 

Ball: Pro V1x

On 3/26/2022 at 12:03 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

That right.  I ordered a set of PXG 0211 ST's, 6 thru gap.  Given my ball striking, the likelihood of me playing them more than a few times a year is slim but I just sold some stuff and couldn't resist.  I have an old set of Wilson FG17 Staff irons that I hit occasionally which are surprisingly forgiving for a blade but I need graphite.  I'm hoping the new irons will have that pure feel we all crave.

good for you bro.....blades should be played by everyone....real golfers anyway...lol

Golf is cool

Im lucky to play bogey golf but in my case as long as the blade isnt to short and I can stay away from the toe I could live with some blades nicely. I have purposely chose players irons to warm up with most of the time before trying new clubs or fitting because I tend to concentrate better on ball striking and less on the distance on the monitor screen. I chickened out but actually had great numbers on a set of Mizuno players forged iron but went with the Titlist T300 for the forgiveness .

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 6:03 AM, Fred Mitchell said:

Im lucky to play bogey golf but in my case as long as the blade isnt to short and I can stay away from the toe I could live with some blades nicely. I have purposely chose players irons to warm up with most of the time before trying new clubs or fitting because I tend to concentrate better on ball striking and less on the distance on the monitor screen. I chickened out but actually had great numbers on a set of Mizuno players forged iron but went with the Titlist T300 for the forgiveness .

Understand that as I had a Ping fitting and seriously could not miss with the G430 driver, toe heel kick hits ALL went straight but I simply can't afford $1200 NZ for one club. I did learn I need my iron to be 2deg flat and not STD lie anymore, good luck with the T300's....

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Blades…..are not what they used to be.  Some of the newer blades (ones I play included) have improvements over the ones I played previously.  I cannot stand the look of offset irons so, it would not matter if I needed the larger (gear effect) irons aiding in the closing of the face at impact and inducing higher flight.  I like the smaller face and clean top line.  Consistent distance was the goal.

When I decided to get fit again a year ago, I hit every available iron on the market.  I hit the new Callaway game improvement iron….first 7 iron I hit flew 192 yards…and a big draw.  About 30 yards longer than the swing should have gone.  Can’t play good golf hitting short irons over 200 yards without having about 6 wedges in the bag.  

BTW:  I ended up using the newer Steelfiber shafts which helps absorb some of the shock from off center and hard pan lies.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

When I got back into playing last year I picked up a set of 2021 T100s irons. Moving from a set of old TM 300's which I loved. I just wanted something newer. One of my playing partners still played his Titleist 690.mb's. While they are shafted with a shaft I don't care for when I hit a shot with them, they are like butter.  I've been toying with the idea of picking up the new 620 mb's in a shaft I like. 

Good for you. Play what you like. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

23 hours ago, RwsGolf1 said:

Blades…..are not what they used to be.  Some of the newer blades (ones I play included) have improvements over the ones I played previously.  I cannot stand the look of offset irons so, it would not matter if I needed the larger (gear effect) irons aiding in the closing of the face at impact and inducing higher flight.  I like the smaller face and clean top line.  Consistent distance was the goal.

When I decided to get fit again a year ago, I hit every available iron on the market.  I hit the new Callaway game improvement iron….first 7 iron I hit flew 192 yards…and a big draw.  About 30 yards longer than the swing should have gone.  Can’t play good golf hitting short irons over 200 yards without having about 6 wedges in the bag.  

BTW:  I ended up using the newer Steelfiber shafts which helps absorb some of the shock from off center and hard pan lies.

The extra length would be ok in theory if the gaps were good and descent angle and backspin would hold the greens on approach . The trade off in more wedges should be less need for utility irons/hybrids/fairway woods . This is not the opinion of an expert , its the opinion of an older banged up golfer who would kill to have to much distance as a problem lol. Seriously if the irons hold the green and gaps are good you get to use 13 clubs and a putter 4-PW set irons is 7 clubs driver and 1 FW is 9 that leaves either 4 specialty wedges besides the set wedge or 3 wedges besides the set wedge and room for 1 more FW/hybrid/driving or utility iron.  I am not talking about your game just the theory of it, guess I never really thought about how much versatility that much length would give you in club choices. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag