TESTERS WANTED! ×

Easier way to deal with two sided tape?

My last few regrips have been a pain because I'm having a lot of trouble with the double sided tape. I can't easily peel the plastic off one side of the tape. I have both the pre-cut strips and the roll of two sided tape and both give me problems. Is there an easy way to peel away that plastic away from the sticky part of the tape? 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, Pro-V-None said:

My last few regrips have been a pain because I'm having a lot of trouble with the double sided tape. I can't easily peel the plastic off one side of the tape. I have both the pre-cut strips and the roll of two sided tape and both give me problems. Is there an easy way to peel away that plastic away from the sticky part of the tape? 

I never had any issues getting the plastic off with just a fingernail.  How old is the tape and how is it stored?

Anyway... another reason, along with the messy solvent and trying to remove the old tape from the shaft, why I changed 7 years ago to putting grips on/off with an air compressor.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I never had any issues getting the plastic off with just a fingernail.  How old is the tape and how is it stored?

Anyway... another reason, along with the messy solvent and trying to remove the old tape from the shaft, why I changed 7 years ago to putting grips on/off with an air compressor.

I may be going that route soon enough. I have had the hardest time using my fingernail to get that piece of tape off the double side, to the point where it starts bending and crinkling.  The last 4 have taken way longer than it ever should because of the tape, and I have the strips and roll.

Since I keep my fingernails short,  I use my box cutter to peel back the tape. If Im off my game on a particular day, I will cut the corner Im peeling at a 45 degrees angle  with scissors to make the area Im picking at a bit stiffer.  

You can always start the peel before you put it on the shaft. 

Edited by pulledabill
Added info

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

https://www.golfworks.com/single-spool-tape-dispenser/p/sx2td/ here one that only has one side. if you are doing more than just your own these are worth the money. 

Ive had mine since 2000

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I've had a few issues with the double sided tape from Golfworks before.  It seems like some of the batches are different than others.  Some come off real easy, while others seem to stick & don't tear off completely.  It's just a matter of peeling it slowly once it's on the shaft.  I just did two clubs just yesterday with no issues 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot