Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Tip trimming iron shaft advice

I'm building a set to my spec as well as a few demo clubs using a True Temper R/S steel shaft. If I follow the tip trim instructions on the page where I bought the shaft, my club length ends up a half inch longer than I'm going for (I'm going +1 inch over standard).  Do I take off that half inch off the butt end of the club or just take another half inch off the tip? Seems like the tip end makes it stiffer and the butt end would make it less stiff.  Any advice before i start cutting down the last pieces of the shafts?

7 hours ago, Pro-V-None said:

I'm building a set to my spec as well as a few demo clubs using a True Temper R/S steel shaft. If I follow the tip trim instructions on the page where I bought the shaft, my club length ends up a half inch longer than I'm going for (I'm going +1 inch over standard).  Do I take off that half inch off the butt end of the club or just take another half inch off the tip? Seems like the tip end makes it stiffer and the butt end would make it less stiff.  Any advice before i start cutting down the last pieces of the shafts?

Your instinct is correct, cut the tip for flex and finish trimming from the butt for length.  Have fun!

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter