Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

One Day of Golf In Edinburgh In July

Golf2Much

Friends are attending a wedding in London at the end of June and asked if my wife and I wanted to join them after to see London and to head to Edinburgh, Scotland.  Trying to pack everything into a week or so, we have allocated one day to rent clubs and play a course not too far from Edinburgh.  I know, heading to the Meca of golf and only one day to play! 

Our goal was to experience true link-style golf, to have fun and not to get beaten up by the course or conditions.  We are in our mid 60's with indexes of 11.5 and 20.5.  For those reasons, we've narrowed the list to Kilspindie and Gullane No. 2.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on these two courses or others that may make sense.  As a side note, we are spending a day plus in St. Andrews site seeing.  The Old Course (and most of the area) will be busy a week later with The Open Championship).

Thanks in advance.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

25 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

Friends are attending a wedding in London at the end of June and asked if my wife and I wanted to join them after to see London and to head to Edinburgh, Scotland.  Trying to pack everything into a week or so, we have allocated one day to rent clubs and play a course not too far from Edinburgh.  I know, heading to the Meca of golf and only one day to play! 

Our goal was to experience true link-style golf, to have fun and not to get beaten up by the course or conditions.  We are in our mid 60's with indexes of 11.5 and 20.5.  For those reasons, we've narrowed the list to Kilspindie and Gullane No. 2.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on these two courses or others that may make sense.  As a side note, we are spending a day plus in St. Andrews site seeing.  The Old Course (and most of the area) will be busy a week later with The Open Championship).

Thanks in advance.

Based on the information I have found, Kilspindie should be your choice.

https://www.yourgolftravel.com/best-golf-courses/edinburgh

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

We're playing Kilspindie in May - can give you an overview afterwards. If you take the train south, it'll go all the way to North Berwick. I've played it once and it is maybe the most fun golf course I've ever played and it's definitely a links course. YOu can walk from the train station to the golf course - it's about 5 minutes. The clubhouse is great - you can eat upstairs plus there are a bunch of great restaurants in the area. 

There are also several good parkland type courses right in Edinburgh. Played Prestonfield four years ago and enjoyed it very much.  And if you want a different experience, the Old Course at Mussellburgh is an adventure - the only 9 holer to have hosted 2 Opens. It's in the middle of a racetrack, and if you're so inclined you can rent a set of vintage hickory shafted clubs and go old school.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You'll enjoy either Gullane 2 and Kilspindie both links and within 5 miles of each other. The one bit of advice is check on availability of club hire and buggy. The coast there is about 20 miles of links Golf Courses from Prestonpans to Dunbar that cater to all levels of budget ranging from Winterfield to North Berwick. Some you won't get on without a member or luck i.e Muirfield, Archerfield and the Renaissance.   What dates were you thinking, because the Scottish Open is on the week before The Open (7th-10th) at the Renaissance which is a joint PGA and European Tour Event (The Genesis) so it will be pretty busy around Gullane and North Berwick? If you mind is set on East Lothian another couple of alternatives are The Glen in North Berwick which is a good course and won't break the budget or Dunbar which is a little more expensive but again a great layout and pure links hugging the coast.

On the other hand if you're driving the south coast of Fife is only an hour away and again is packed with good links courses. Specifically staying away from St Andrews then the pick of them are Dumbarnie which I think is the best fun I've had on a golf course and Lundin. Crail (Balcomie) and Ellie also get good reviews, I've played Crail and I was underwhelmed with it and haven't played Ellie. Lastly if on a budget Leven Links is always in good conditions and worth a play.

I'm 20 minutes outside Edinburgh but my home course is parkland. If you and your wife are looking for a game I could host you and I'm pretty sure I can drum up 2 decent sets of clubs and a buggy.

If you have any questions drop me a line and I'll try and help, I've played a lot of courses across Scotland.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

20 hours ago, Alf. S said:

You'll enjoy either Gullane 2 and Kilspindie both links and within 5 miles of each other. The one bit of advice is check on availability of club hire and buggy. The coast there is about 20 miles of links Golf Courses from Prestonpans to Dunbar that cater to all levels of budget ranging from Winterfield to North Berwick. Some you won't get on without a member or luck i.e Muirfield, Archerfield and the Renaissance.   What dates were you thinking, because the Scottish Open is on the week before The Open (7th-10th) at the Renaissance which is a joint PGA and European Tour Event (The Genesis) so it will be pretty busy around Gullane and North Berwick? If you mind is set on East Lothian another couple of alternatives are The Glen in North Berwick which is a good course and won't break the budget or Dunbar which is a little more expensive but again a great layout and pure links hugging the coast.

On the other hand if you're driving the south coast of Fife is only an hour away and again is packed with good links courses. Specifically staying away from St Andrews then the pick of them are Dumbarnie which I think is the best fun I've had on a golf course and Lundin. Crail (Balcomie) and Ellie also get good reviews, I've played Crail and I was underwhelmed with it and haven't played Ellie. Lastly if on a budget Leven Links is always in good conditions and worth a play.

I'm 20 minutes outside Edinburgh but my home course is parkland. If you and your wife are looking for a game I could host you and I'm pretty sure I can drum up 2 decent sets of clubs and a buggy.

If you have any questions drop me a line and I'll try and help, I've played a lot of courses across Scotland.

Alf S. thank you so much for the input and offer.   We're looking at July 1st for our golf date.  This is part of a whirlwind trip to London, Edinburgh and St. Andrews (only one night before flying back to London).  I've contacted both Gullane 2 and Kilspindie to get information on setting up tee times and booking both clubs and buggies.  The couple we are traveling with have us booked with other activities.  We'll be lucky to get one round in.  

My grandmother was from North Ronaldsay, Orkney Islands, Scotland.  I know Edinburgh is actually closer to London than the Orkney Island, but I think she would approve that I'm getting a chance at least to experience some of her heritage. 

I appreciate the offer of hosting.  If you ever make it to Key West, Florida, please let me know.  I'd like to have you experience the Southernmost golf course.  

Edited by Golf2Much
add more information
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Edinburgh is a great historic city with lots to see and do and so is St Andrews, I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience no matter where you go. Maybe not such a nice climate as Key West. Unlike the way Scotland is portrayed it doesn't always rain in the Summer but it is temperate so you can't predict the weather even a week in advance.  In July you'll have really long days it will be light until 10pm so don't be put off if offered a late tee time. 

The one bar/bistro I would recommend is the Devil's Advocate just off the Royal Mile, great whiskeys, food is OK, building is I think an old coach house. It is touristy without being too over the top in cost.

I definitely look you up if I'm over your way but like most European's the furthest we get in Florida is Orlando 😉  

One last tip, in terms of golf kit and souvenirs the Pro Shop in Gullane is a lot better than Kilspindie so if you play there be sure to visit it. It is across the road from Gullane 2 and 3's club house beside the 1st tee on Gullane 1

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag