TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's a good driver spin "target" for slower swing speeds?

Bobbers

Playing conditions do matter.  I live in the MId-West (Ohio).   Through about end of April, it is typically cold and wet and windy.   More carry is beneficial.  But once it warms up and dries out a bit, I have much better luck with a LOWER loft on my driver.  I have a Ping G410 (10.5).   I typically have it set -.6 or even -1 all summer.   The difference  is 10 - 15 yards or more.   I see the same thing on my SkyTrak launch monitor, too.  The idea that more loft is automatically better for slower swing speeds does not really pan out, in my experience.   I got fitted into a 12 degree Ping driver a few years ago.   I am much longer at 9 degrees than at 12.    For context, I am 63 years old (8 -10 HDCP), and my driver swing speed is around 90 (plus or minus 5 mph on any given day).    My drivers are commonly 205 - 225 (cold and wet) -- and maybe up to 250 on a warm, dry day.  I would just say to experiment (or keep experimenting) and see what is optimal for you.   I agree that something under 3000 rpm is a good objective.  

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

Mornin Bobbers, I'm your age (72) and play the same driver (for now) with A flex, similar length (around 200 total yards) and live in Waukesha, so generally the same conditions.  I went to an indoor golf center the other day to check my head speed and was registering between 83 and 88 mph.  Having said all of this, I find that my search for a driver (really any) shaft is grounded in basically 3 parameters, 1. ball control, 2. total distance and 3. feel and I can't really tell you which is most important TO ME.  I seek distance but feel plays a big role for me and that can't be measured on a monitor.  I like a soft feel upon impact but tend to find that if I get too much kick at the bottom of the shaft, although it feels good, the ball goes too high and just falls out of the sky with little to no role.  I'll be interested to see which shaft you settle on and what the characteristics of the shaft are.  I have a bad back problem (need to have fusion surgery but putting it off) and have been thinking of going to an L flex shaft to see if I can get more pop out of that.  Good luck on your search.

FWIW I will take two drivers out to a course when it isn’t busy. I’ll hit exact same ball with both drivers over several holes and compare the results with a laser. This is a real world comparison and how I compared the two flash models. CPO makes this easier with Callaway 1-2 year old models and then I return or trade in the loser. Drivers change very little year to year. 

18 hours ago, 70445 said:

All very interesting info, us seniors  are sometimes overlooked!  More about the big hitters.  Anyway I’m 76, and have played for 5 or 6 decades!  Been losing distance for a few years, so my current equipment isn’t getting the job done.  It couldn’t be me.  I currently hit a Ping G400 10.5 driver, Reg Alta shaft.  Not getting much distance 170 carry😟.  I demoed a Cally Rouge ST draw sr shaft, numbers were better 12° loft.!  But $600 is way too much.  Just wondering what others are looking at or using.  Really don’t have access to a launch monitor, so I’m kind stuck on junk luck in finding the correct combo. 

There’s always the option to pay $75 to get fit, starting with your current setup so you know if a better combo or even a small swing tweak will help. Then, you can find a new combo that works and walk away. In 2 years the price will come down and buy it used. I’m. Titleist guy, and yes, not cheap. Other choices are Tour Edge, Cleveland, and the PXG 0211 series. All closer to $400 than $600. Just don’t go near “the rack”. Seniors are not the average player. Even lofts can vary, let alone shafts, so - get fit with a launch monitor. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

The lineup of shafts that I'll be putting to the test, in no order of importance, include:

Fujikura Atmos 5

UST Helium

Attas ISA 1000

Aldila Synergy

Pro Launch 45

Aldila Quaranta

Paderson Kinetix

EvenFlow Riptide Blue CB

Rogue 95MSI 60 gram

EvenFlow Red Max Carry

Accra 152I

Air Speeder 40

All of those are in "senior" flex, be it r2/lite/senior/etc.

Also have a Bassara 43 gram in Regular flex that I'll be testing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

59 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

The lineup of shafts that I'll be putting to the test, in no order of importance, include:

Fujikura Atmos 5

UST Helium

Attas ISA 1000

Aldila Synergy

Pro Launch 45

Aldila Quaranta

Paderson Kinetix

EvenFlow Riptide Blue CB

Rogue 95MSI 60 gram

EvenFlow Red Max Carry

Accra 152I

Air Speeder 40

Good luck,   
a couple of those shafts I have Demoed so interested in your take.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Great thread @Bobbers lots of good discussion and information from many similar specs golfers.  As someone is younger than most thst posted 62, but the same swing speed 85, I can relate to a lot of the info shared. 

You sound like a real pleasure to play with.  I hope you find the magic wand and comp to gain those ever elusive few more yards. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great thread @Bobbers lots of good discussion and information from many similar specs golfers.  As someone is younger than most thst posted 62, but the same swing speed 85, I can relate to a lot of the info shared. 

You sound like a real pleasure to play with.  I hope you find the magic wand and comp to gain those ever elusive few more yards. 

Is interesting thread especially when Seniors can get involved.  
Yes Rob the TSi2 is still entrenched in my bag and not going anywhere.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

29 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As they say, "from your lips to God's ear"...thanks for the encouragement.  Been at this game for over 55 years, still fascinates and frustrates with the occasional moments of pure joy and exultation.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 4/1/2022 at 11:48 AM, chisag said:

Just keep in mind where you live and play also makes a big difference. Most midwest courses are soft and carry is king. Phoenix is very firm and I see seniors hit low trajectories off the tee that roll up to 100 yds, especially level or uphill.

Also at what time of day you play. I live and play in the greater Phoenix area on the west side. We play early in the morning all year and the fairways are always soaked, so carry is still king. In the summer, we do play in the afternoon, and we do get the roll, which is enlightening. Who wouldn't play in 100 degree "dry" heat for $15 and the roll off the tee as a bonus?

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

23 hours ago, 70445 said:

I demoed a Cally Rouge ST draw sr shaft, numbers were better 12° loft.!  But $600 is way too much.  Just wondering what others are looking at or using.  Really don’t have access to a launch monitor, so I’m kind stuck on junk luck in finding the correct combo. 

Start hawking the Callaway pre-owned sight. Have bought my clubs there for years. Couple of year old version that was maybe a demo can be had for half price. I only buy like new and the condition is always as advertised. If you call and get one of the sales people with the order number of a specific club you found online, they will often give free shipping even though it isn't advertised. Just bought my wife a Epic Speed driver to replace her G400 and while this has never happened for me, she literally is hitting it 20 yards farther. Also purchased Mavrik 7&5 hybrids for her which she loves. If you join the mailing list, they send deals nearly every day. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

2 hours ago, Bobbers said:

Fujikura Atmos 5

UST Helium

Attas ISA 1000

Aldila Synergy

Pro Launch 45

Aldila Quaranta

Paderson Kinetix

EvenFlow Riptide Blue CB

Rogue 95MSI 60 gram

EvenFlow Red Max Carry

Accra 152I

Air Speeder 40

OK, you have to tell us how you acquired all those shafts!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

25 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

OK, you have to tell us how you acquired all those shafts!!

I think the polite euphemism is that I'm a shaft "ho"?  And curious, and frustrated at times, and enjoy tinkering, and the list sort of goes on.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

13 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I think the polite euphemism is that I'm a shaft "ho"?  And curious, and frustrated at times, and enjoy tinkering, and the list sort of goes on.

Just curious - you only have one R flex listed. As many have indicated flex varies a lot between manufacturers, any reason you're sticking with senior flex? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

12 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Just curios - you only have one R flex listed. As many have indicated flex varies a lot between manufacturers, any reason you're sticking with senior flex? 

Perhaps a desperate belief that I can handle senior flex and don't need to start playing around with "L" flex and find a way to obliterate the "L" marking?  😉

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

18 hours ago, Bobbers said:

... Below are just my driver shafts. Fairway woods, hybrids and irons shafts would not all fit in a picture. 🤪  I always imagine the Psychologist in The Natural replacing Losing with Ho'ing: "Ho'ing is a disease" ...  

1205507442_Drivershafts.JPG.0635760cdf72bf83ea06b7ede7f352a4.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Below are just my driver shafts. Fairway woods, hybrids and irons shafts would not all fit in a picture. 🤪  I always imagine the Psychologist in The Natural replacing Losing with Ho'ing: "Ho'ing is a disease" ...  

I applaud your selection.  I'll see if my wife has a wide angle lens for her collection and try to grab a shot of my personal hell, er I mean shaft group...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

6 hours ago, chisag said:

Don't feel bad, that's about how many Scotty Cameron putters I have.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x