Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Pros playing fades

YourKillingMeSmalls

I’ve been watching the Valero Texas Open this morning and it seems like 3 out of 4 pros are playing a cut, why do you think this is so?

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue 5S
  • :Sub70: 3 & 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 5-W Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater

Spin loft. Generally a cut is done with more spin loft so it produces a more stable/controllable flight 

Generally an over-fade or slide will increase in spin from a standard fade, so while offline it is still controllable 

An over draw or hook will have a decrease in spin relative to a stock draw, so a hook is extremely menacing 

More details in this article 

https://www.golfwrx.com/565574/why-do-tour-players-prefer-fades-over-draws-from-the-tee-box/#:~:text=Spin loft is exemplified as,players opt for their fade.

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Spin loft. Generally a cut is done with more spin loft so it produces a more stable/controllable flight 

Generally an over-fade or slide will increase in spin from a standard fade, so while offline it is still controllable 

An over draw or hook will have a decrease in spin relative to a stock draw, so a hook is extremely menacing 

More details in this article 

https://www.golfwrx.com/565574/why-do-tour-players-prefer-fades-over-draws-from-the-tee-box/#:~:text=Spin loft is exemplified as,players opt for their fade.

Interesting article but I also read recently that driving accuracy of the pros has dropped the last 20 years but even with that scoring has gone down.

• EZ Go 4 seater

1 hour ago, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

Interesting article but I also read recently that driving accuracy of the pros has dropped the last 20 years but even with that scoring has gone down.

Could be lots of reasons for lower scores....better course strategy and understanding of strokes gained by younger players, better course agronomy,  players are just better.    Accuracy is also tied loosely to speed. Lets assume a player keeps his face within one degree of square;  the faster longer player will have a wider dispersion pattern than a slower player.  

As for fades,  why is a fade bad?   Playing strategies suggest that players should just pick a shape and always play that shape with the driver.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Could be lots of reasons for lower scores....better course strategy and understanding of strokes gained by younger players, better course agronomy,  players are just better.    Accuracy is also tied loosely to speed. Lets assume a player keeps his face within one degree of square;  the faster longer player will have a wider dispersion pattern than a slower player.  

As for fades,  why is a fade bad?   Playing strategies suggest that players should just pick a shape and always play that shape with the driver.  

Not trying to say a fade was bad, I guess I just never noticed what a high percentage it was being used, back in the day the pros would curve it according to the hole design.

• EZ Go 4 seater

4 minutes ago, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

Not trying to say a fade was bad, I guess I just never noticed what a high percentage it was being used, back in the day the pros would curve it according to the hole design.

That is one of the "complaints" about todays golf style.   Players today usually play a single ball flight off the tee with a driver.   There have been videos and interviews with players like Bubba and DJ and they were asked about when they hit a draw off the tee and their answer is basically never on purpose.   If you look at strategy systems like DECADE, the advice is the same, play a single ball flight with driver.  If you need to hit a draw,  find a different club that naturally draws.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

The newer ball and club designs makes curving the ball a little harder because they are being designed to have the ball fly straighter. As cnosil mentioned about strikes gained data hitting the ball further has shown to be better and that is more if what the pros go for and a predictable stock shot makes it easier. 

Pros are all about control whether it’s a flight window, distance control or direction. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The newer ball and club designs makes curving the ball a little harder because they are being designed to have the ball fly straighter. As cnosil mentioned about strikes gained data hitting the ball further has shown to be better and that is more if what the pros go for and a predictable stock shot makes it easier. 

Pros are all about control whether it’s a flight window, distance control or direction. 

I get wanting to hit it longer and coming into greens with gap wedges even from the rough = better tour scoring but the stats say it’s not more consistent, that’s why when they set up US Opens with high thick rough scores go up.

• EZ Go 4 seater

1 minute ago, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

I get wanting to hit it longer and coming into greens with gap wedges even from the rough = better tour scoring but the stats say it’s not more consistent, that’s why when they set up US Opens with high thick rough scores go up.

It’s not just the rough at the US Open but also green speeds. Yes the rough is more penalizing but it’s the addition of the green speeds that impact how the ball will hold on the greens.

Strategy changes at events like the US Open and even The Masters because of the green, same with The Open due to course design and weather.

Pros adapt to the course layout.

But when it comes to fade bs draw the fade is more predictable. A ball that’s over drawn is going to run out more and move more compared to a fade. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 hours ago, jlukes said:

... My natural ball flight is a draw. I spent one full year trying to change to a power fade. No doubt in my mind it is a more controllable tee shot and allows you to release the club with more speed because as you said, the miss is more manageable. But for me at least, fighting my natural tendency proved to be a problem because under pressure, occasionally my power fade turned into a slice. And it didn't take much, just holding on a fraction longer had disastrous results. So I went back to my natural shot shape. When swinging poorly (usually the result of a stiff back) my draw can become a low hook and here in the desert it can be a good thing or a really bad thing depending on the hole. But if I could just magically pick a ball flight it would definitely be a power fade. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

My natural ball flight is a fade and I'd love to be able to dial up a draw when wanted.  For some reason, I've never mastered doing so and the results are like the proverbial "box of chocolates". Unlike the pros, who have plenty of distance and can afford to give up a little with the fade, I'm giving up 10+ yards on average and that is pretty significant.  Having never played a draw ball flight, it sounds like most of you feel it less reliable/controllable... so maybe I should just be happy with what I got 🙂.

Some interesting points some of you have made in answer to the OP's question.  I always just assumed it was preference for the given shot - wind, slopes, green condition, etc.  It is cool watching how they are able to make so many shot types... a whole other level of play for sure.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm another one of those that has played a draw for basically ever. But spent the last 6 months of winter working to reshape that to a fade. It's definitely a control thing, driver for sure. But for me the biggest difference is on approach shots. 

The fade or even straight flight compared to a draw is just so much more consistent on distance. The over draw comes in low and hot. Which lands long and left, and bounds when it lands. Being long around most greens is usually bad. The over fade generally comes down  short right of target and stops pretty quick, that's just a safer miss most of the time. 

But that is my experience with the two shapes. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

My controlled ball flight is a fade.  I can do it instinctively Any club   High/low. More fade or less fade. adjusting stance and grip  posture without thinking about it 

Draw totally different story.  I snap hook   Only certain clubs don’t hook as much as other so I’m comfortable using those clubs only if the situation calls for it.  Pin tucked in the left  back / fairway severe right to left dogleg 

Past season I was working to learn draw the ball

Start with my wedges as only  club I felt could comfortably hit straightish/small draw

And tried to make swing through the bag   Really there was 2 days I could draw the ball as my first option using that swing and that swing didn’t last as felt unnatural  and hook came back plus I totally lost my ability to fade

I had to convert back. 

Edited by Haro

Pros will almost always play their natural shot shape, and as mentioned in multiple posts here, a fade that gets away from you is less penal than a draw that overcooks. So if the fade/cut is what comes best and easiest to them, that's what they're going to play for consistency. 

I know my natural shot shape with driver/woods/long irons is a fade and when I accepted that, my scoring and mindset got a lot better.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 4/2/2022 at 10:53 AM, cnosil said:

Scores are lower because modern equipment has led to substantial increases in distance. Players aren't better, the equipment is.

52 minutes ago, LICC said:

Scores are lower because modern equipment has led to substantial increases in distance. Players aren't better, the equipment is.

Agree, equipment is also a part of the equation, but I still say the pool,of players is better and improves over time.  

DJ worked on his wedge game and went from good to a multi major winner.

Morikawa is an elite ball striker and has Hines that craft.

that’s just a couple examples.

Pros spend more time working on their game than most people do their normal job every day. Thinking equipment has made the pros better is almost comical.

If equipment makes golfers better we wouldn’t see a bunch of high handicappers on the course or posting on golf forums. Everyone would be shaving strokes off their game with new equipment 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

DJ worked on his wedge game and went from good to a multi major winner.

Morikawa is an elite ball striker and has Hines that craft.

that’s just a couple examples.

Pros spend more time working on their game than most people do their normal job every day. Thinking equipment has made the pros better is almost comical.

If equipment makes golfers better we wouldn’t see a bunch of high handicappers on the course or posting on golf forums. Everyone would be shaving strokes off their game with new equipment 

DJ would be 20- 40 yards shorter with the equipment of 30 years ago, regardless of how much he practiced. Same with Morikawa or any other pro.

To think that equipment hasn't made the game easier for pros is ludicrous.

Edited by LICC

12 minutes ago, LICC said:

DJ would be 20- 40 yards shorter with the equipment of 30 years ago, regardless of how much he practiced. Same with Morikawa or any other pro.

Byron Nelson Winners

1980 — Lee Trevino, 69.73

2021 — Jon Rahm, 69.300

These seem pretty close to me. To think equipment made the difference is insane. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

24 minutes ago, LICC said:

DJ hit an I’ll fitted persimmon wood 300 yards. He changed his bag setup for kapalua to gap properly. The equipment didn’t matter. These guys are the best of the best because of the amount of time they have spent honing their craft. 

They can play with anything and still be the best at what they do. 

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

DJ hit an I’ll fitted persimmon wood 300 yards. He changed his bag setup for kapalua to gap properly. The equipment didn’t matter. These guys are the best of the best because of the amount of time they have spent honing their craft. 

They can play with anything and still be the best at what they do. 

He hit it 290, with a modern ball. With all modern equipment he easily hits it 320.

Sure, they are the best at what they do. That has nothing to do with advances in equipment making the game easier for them.

58 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Byron Nelson Winners

1980 — Lee Trevino, 69.73

2021 — Jon Rahm, 69.300

These seem pretty close to me. To think equipment made the difference is insane. 

This isn't even close to accurate. Not even in the same universe as reality. Tom Watson won the Byron Nelson in 1980 with a score of 274. Lee Kyoung-hoon won it in 2021 with a score of 263. In 1980 it was played at Preston Trails Golf Club, with the course under 7,100 yards. In 2021 it was played at TPC Craig Ranch at over 7400 yards. 

Okay, nope. The distance, equipment, scores debate that some love to argue can go into its own thread where i can have the pleasure of having to monitor and read through the same arguments back and forth. 

This thread is for shot shapes and the pros in terms of why some prefer cuts and so on.

Please stay on track with this as we don't need to infect another thread with that debate when a better conversation can be had on the related topic which the original poster intended to discuss. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 hours ago, LICC said:

This isn't even close to accurate. Not even in the same universe as reality. Tom Watson won the Byron Nelson in 1980 with a score of 274. Lee Kyoung-hoon won it in 2021 with a score of 263. In 1980 it was played at Preston Trails Golf Club, with the course under 7,100 yards. In 2021 it was played at TPC Craig Ranch at over 7400 yards. 

Just a point of clarity and not continuing the discussion.  He wasn't referring to the tournament but the award:  The PGA Tour presents its own Byron Nelson Award annually to the player with the lowest adjusted scoring average for the year.   

Because fades are better (opinion)… not to add to the equipment fire, but I specifically remember Rory, who is obviously a top shelf golfer, say he was going to play a cut off the tee a few years back or so because the new equipment lent itself better to it… if I can find the video or article I will link it.  Don’t yell at me just yet.

I am no pro, but I enjoy the fade ball shape because I don’t have to look over my shoulder for it, you get a pretty wide open view of the target.  Aim down the left, and everything to the right is visible.  Probably nothing to do with why they choose it.

Here is the link, I’m not going to post the whole article.  Read it for yourselves.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/05/08/rory-mcilroy-draw-driver-committed-fade/

Tiger at his best was hitting all 9 window shapes with irons   
I think the driver is a different story. The driver is not a club I want to have a two way miss   For me it’s a fade spin  for consistent The hook/draw spin does feel more powerful but from my experience more OB as well.   Other golfers they can draw with control much better than me should stick with it 

Edited by Haro

18 minutes ago, Haro said:

Tiger at his best was hitting all 9 window shapes with irons   
I think the driver is a different story. The driver is not a club I want to have a two way miss   For me it’s a fade spin  for consistent The hook/draw spin does feel more powerful but from my experience more OB as well.   Other golfers they can draw with control much better than me should stick with it 

I think the op is talking about stock shots. Pros can hit various types of shots when the situation calls for it.

ZJ is one of the few that always hits a draw no matter what.