TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tips for getting an accurate installation on a SuperStroke putting grip?

One of the things I "worry" about is getting what I'll call an "accurate" installation of a flat faced putter grip on a putter.

My definition of accurate is that there's a 90 degree, not 89 degree,  not 91 degree but perfectly perpendicular difference between the flat face of the grip and the face of the putter.

What tips/tricks/technique do you use to get the most accurate installation when you're replacing a putter grip?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, Bobbers said:

One of the things I "worry" about is getting what I'll call an "accurate" installation of a flat faced putter grip on a putter.

My definition of accurate is that there's a 90 degree, not 89 degree,  not 91 degree but perfectly perpendicular difference between the flat face of the grip and the face of the putter.

What tips/tricks/technique do you use to get the most accurate installation when you're replacing a putter grip?

To get that accuracy you probably don't have the tools available as it requires a fixed gripping station and lasers.    Some tricks that you can use to do your most accurate work is to use levels to clamp the putter into a vise and ensure that the face is straight up and down using a level.   You can then install the grip and use a level to ensure that the top is flat.   Another option that I have used successfully is to use a corner in your how with a 90 degree corner.  To do this the putter face goes against the wall and then raise the handle to meet the wall.   The flat part of the grip should be flush against the one wall and the putter face flush against the other wall.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

To get that accuracy you probably don't have the tools available as it requires a fixed gripping station and lasers.    Some tricks that you can use to do your most accurate work is to use levels to clamp the putter into a vise and ensure that the face is straight up and down using a level.   You can then install the grip and use a level to ensure that the top is flat.   Another option that I have used successfully is to use a corner in your how with a 90 degree corner.  To do this the putter face goes against the wall and then raise the handle to meet the wall.   The flat part of the grip should be flush against the one wall and the putter face flush against the other wall.  

I'm on it with the levels first thing tomorrow, excellent suggestion.  And given I don't have a lot of use for the type of lasers that would be necessary your level suggestion is a lot more affordable.  Thanks for the idea, it's great.  Sadly, once I do it I won't be able to wonder if the missed putt was due to an out of alignment grip...oh well.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

What I do is put a one of those rubber golf club vise adapters on the club. Put the club in the vise loose enough to twist it some. Then take a machinists square or a carpenters square to square the face up with the work bench ( make sure the work bench is level). Then tighten the shaft in the vise and re-check for squareness. Install the grip. Then I take a digital level placed on top of the grip and check it. Rotate as necessary. My digital level goes out to the 2nd decimal place. So when it zero it is good to go. After install any putting misses are due to the user. 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Funny this thread just started, my brother in law just asked if I could install a Superstroke for him. After your guys' recommendations I'll be giving the level/square strategy a shot!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

I do them by using a vise with a torpedo level rubber banded on the face to insure square and another to check the grip when Im done although I seldom do that.  After install I sit putter in to a square I made and mostly just "eye ball" it at that time.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

This brings up a good question. Does anyone know the tolerances the factory has to go by for putter grip installation? 

I was at a local golf shop and a guy wanted a new grip on his putter. The old one was cut off. New tape and slid the grip on. He set it on the floor looked down the shaft twisted a little and said here you go. Nobody's eyes that calibrated. I know I take things to the extreme but its because I can, and have all the tools from when I was a machinist many moons ago.

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This brings up a good question. Does anyone know the tolerances the factory has to go by for putter grip installation? 

I was at a local golf shop and a guy wanted a new grip on his putter. The old one was cut off. New tape and slid the grip on. He set it on the floor looked down the shaft twisted a little and said here you go. Nobody's eyes that calibrated. I know I take things to the extreme but its because I can, and have all the tools from when I was a machinist many moons ago.

I don't think there are any tolerances on factory installed grips.  During most wanted putter testing there are always one or two putters that has twisted grips.   

As for what you saw in the local shop,  that is probably how 95% of all installs are done.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don't think there are any tolerances on factory installed grips.  During most wanted putter testing there are always one or two putters that has twisted grips.   

As for what you saw in the local shop,  that is probably how 95% of all installs are done.  

Well at least I know I go the extra yard to make sure its done right. 

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I understand completely.  And given aging eyes the idea of "eyeballing" anything these days gets increasingly absurd.

And when you read items that say "if your putter is 1 degree open at impact you'll miss a ten foot putt" it only makes sense, to me at least, to shoot for the most accurate alignment of the flat faced putter grip that can be obtained.

I have, as an alternate, put round grips on a couple of putters I had sitting around just to eliminate the "square face/squared up grip panel" issue.  That way I simply have to focus on a square face and not be concerned about the grip as much. 

Time will tell.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have no problem “taking it too far” with a putter grip if it means that I know for a fact that it’s straight. That’s just good work on your part. Eyeballing it is probably really close for a person with a lot of experience but peace if mind is king. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

On 4/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Mostly the OEM would set up a jig of sorts to  ensure anyone putting on the grip would put on in the same fashion. I.E lock it in a clamp with the face resting on a fence of some sort and then ensure the grip is facing the proper position. Is it measured or lasered. I doubt it. Just making the rig for easy install.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Whenever I do them for people, I have them there with me. I put it in straight to my eye and then lay the flat part of the grip on a flat surface to check the angle. Everyone's eyes are different, so as long as the person likes the way it's set up, there's no complaints.

As far as manufacturing tolerances, I've seen more than a few grips come from the factory that were significantly off center.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

This is a prime example of "if you want something done right, do it yourself". However, this thread makes me wonder if it really would make any difference. Yes, the 1 degree open at impact will cause you to miss a 10' putt, but perhaps the grip that is not square could help some people bring the face square at impact. With all the different ways to grip and swing a putter, maybe grip angle is the next generation of putter fittings. Just a thought...

WITB:
pxg-small.jpg 0811 Prototype Driver: (10.5 / s-flex)
image.png.cb4b01bb138fdc7ddf4f5e9396a76d82.png   Sub 70 Pro Tour Fairway 3W (15 / s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0341 Prototype, 5W (18, s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0311, 4-PW, (+1/2" / +2 up) ProjX LZ 6.0
pxg-small.jpg 0311 wedges, 52, 56, 60 degree
TommyArmour.jpg.d3c9da7d74a401e95b625f92af834200.jpg Impact No.3, Putter 35"

Dexterity: Right-handed

On 4/2/2022 at 7:24 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What I do is put a one of those rubber golf club vise adapters on the club. Put the club in the vise loose enough to twist it some. Then take a machinists square or a carpenters square to square the face up with the work bench ( make sure the work bench is level). Then tighten the shaft in the vise and re-check for squareness. Install the grip. Then I take a digital level placed on top of the grip and check it. Rotate as necessary. My digital level goes out to the 2nd decimal place. So when it zero it is good to go. After install any putting misses are due to the user. 🤣

Great idea on using a  digital level. I don't have one  - but do have a (digital) level app on my phone. Now I've got a good use for it, 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

19 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Great idea on using a  digital level. I don't have one  - but do have a (digital) level app on my phone. Now I've got a good use for it, 

As a follow up - I eyeballed my SS Fatso 1.0 and it looks like it's at least 5* off  if  not more. Typically I install my grips up north at our Ohio condo but didn't pay attention to the putter grip  Since I don't have a vice and rubber clamp down here I stopped by a golf store to have it put on. I watched the guy do it and he eye balled it. I didn't pay much attention and assumed that it was spot on. Since I rest my thumbs on the flat portion of the grip -  any variance to the face of the putter matters.  

This morning  while putting I made a point of adjusting the face of the putter and hopefully I can get to properly fitting a new grip on shortly. Note: I was making putts today - so it does matter. 

@Tom the Golf Nut thanks again for raising the issue and the solution. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

As a follow up - I eyeballed my SS Fatso 1.0 and it looks like it's at least 5* off  if  not more. Typically I install my grips up north at our Ohio condo but didn't pay attention to the putter grip  Since I don't have a vice and rubber clamp down here I stopped by a golf store to have it put on. I watched the guy do it and he eye balled it. I didn't pay much attention and assumed that it was spot on. Since I rest my thumbs on the flat portion of the grip -  any variance to the face of the putter matters.  

This morning  while putting I made a point of adjusting the face of the putter and hopefully I can get to properly fitting a new grip on shortly. Note: I was making putts today - so it does matter. 

@Tom the Golf Nut thanks again for raising the issue and the solution. 

And now the data - just over 6*. 

IMG_8878.PNG.be540fe37320c088a63bee265044e7e3.PNG

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I just installed my Superstroke putting grip on my putter. It’s just a homemade setup, so you know …

157E3D71-11A3-41A1-A766-5B0B13F23C81.jpeg.83ba31857ccfc4f7ea5fa0b4c3651efd.jpeg

I set up my putter and leveled the putter head with a torpedo level and then installed the grip.

3F414392-DA56-49CE-AF7F-88A47DBB2408.jpeg.2108eb8fb9018e4b8847367acaafe78b.jpeg

Then I checked it the grip with the torpedo level.

9E79A361-113D-4807-97F6-1CE8CF14FC5B.jpeg.838d1a29fd1a8d1f7b021ef0fd1f0df5.jpeg

The thing is, the flat side of the Superstroke grip isn’t exactly flat. At best, it’s marginally flat. 

I used a digital level to check the head and the grip.

A09F8FA6-7334-44F3-B22F-4FD5F968F92A.jpeg.1ca1c5946fb735bfb21f3f354488b04c.jpeg70FD25F2-9B92-400A-BF6D-F61E29DC02F2.jpeg.c99cd88b54da17f5633c0a0c3140b5a0.jpeg

As you can see, because the head isn’t well supported, I’m somewhere in the ballpark of being level within one degree. So, is my grip square to the head?

758122D6-83DF-4F6C-B015-611140A1A9E7.jpeg.a99f69aaec28f8f80b037aec903dfe67.jpeg

I wanna say … yes? But I know if I move the digital level within a fraction of millimeter, it’ll be off by a full degree. You can see that even the end cap has a slight curve to it, which it I take it to mean that there’s a little bit of leeway in getting it right. 

Really, I can drive myself a little crazy trying to get it spot on. But then I’d remember whenever I’d get lost in trying to achieve perfection a guy I knew used to say to me, “It’s good enough for government work,” which in spirit I take to mean, am I doing anything right now that’ll make an improvement with tangible results?

I honestly say, no, not really. After buying one for my shop, I’ve become not-so-big-a-fan of digital levels. I feel like there’s no direct relation between a 0.1 degree reading and whatever it’s sitting on or up against. An analog level offers context. I’m all for machinist squares, calipers and 1-2-3 blocks. Just keep the decimal points out of it for me, please. Besides, I think the regripping turned out fine, and I’m still making six-footers on my putt-out.

77FADFA8-ED28-4988-BBAA-B5C789A8E62E.jpeg.87182fd54bb4a833c6c7aa2c8f4542a7.jpeg

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

2 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

Yesterday, I just installed my Superstroke putting grip on my putter. It’s just a homemade setup, so you know …

157E3D71-11A3-41A1-A766-5B0B13F23C81.jpeg.83ba31857ccfc4f7ea5fa0b4c3651efd.jpeg

I set up my putter and leveled the putter head with a torpedo level and then installed the grip.

3F414392-DA56-49CE-AF7F-88A47DBB2408.jpeg.2108eb8fb9018e4b8847367acaafe78b.jpeg

Then I checked it the grip with the torpedo level.

9E79A361-113D-4807-97F6-1CE8CF14FC5B.jpeg.838d1a29fd1a8d1f7b021ef0fd1f0df5.jpeg

The thing is, the flat side of the Superstroke grip isn’t exactly flat. At best, it’s marginally flat. 

I used a digital level to check the head and the grip.

A09F8FA6-7334-44F3-B22F-4FD5F968F92A.jpeg.1ca1c5946fb735bfb21f3f354488b04c.jpeg70FD25F2-9B92-400A-BF6D-F61E29DC02F2.jpeg.c99cd88b54da17f5633c0a0c3140b5a0.jpeg

As you can see, because the head isn’t well supported, I’m somewhere in the ballpark of being level within one degree. So, is my grip square to the head?

758122D6-83DF-4F6C-B015-611140A1A9E7.jpeg.a99f69aaec28f8f80b037aec903dfe67.jpeg

I wanna say … yes? But I know if I move the digital level within a fraction of millimeter, it’ll be off by a full degree. You can see that even the end cap has a slight curve to it, which it I take it to mean that there’s a little bit of leeway in getting it right. 

Really, I can drive myself a little crazy trying to get it spot on. But then I’d remember whenever I’d get lost in trying to achieve perfection a guy I knew used to say to me, “It’s good enough for government work,” which in spirit I take to mean, am I doing anything right now that’ll make an improvement with tangible results?

I honestly say, no, not really. After buying one for my shop, I’ve become not-so-big-a-fan of digital levels. I feel like there’s no direct relation between a 0.1 degree reading and whatever it’s sitting on or up against. An analog level offers context. I’m all for machinist squares calipers and 1-2-3 blocks. Just keep the decimal points out of it for me, please. Besides, I think the regripping turned out fine, and I’m still 8-footers on my putt-out.

77FADFA8-ED28-4988-BBAA-B5C789A8E62E.jpeg.87182fd54bb4a833c6c7aa2c8f4542a7.jpeg

Nice set=up. And yes you can drive yourself crazy trying to get that .5* correct. In my case I was several degrees off so when I get get to Ohio where I have my 'grip station' I'll correct it. BTW for those that don't have a digital level there is an app for that I use 'Level Pro' on my iPhone. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Nice set=up. And yes you can drive yourself crazy trying to get that .5* correct. In my case I was several degrees off so when I get get to Ohio where I have my 'grip station' I'll correct it. BTW for those that don't have a digital level there is an app for that I use 'Level Pro' on my iPhone. 

Right-o. the phone app isn’ t a bad one. My understanding is that they are based on the gyros inside your phone—the ones help power it on and off depending on how you hold your phone. So as long as the phone is in good condition and hasn’t been severely damaged, it should work fine.

Regarding your 5* issue—I’ve asked the golf shop to regrip a club on occasion. It’s been good, but I do my own mostly just because I have the space and tools to do so.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

4 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

Right-o. the phone app isn’ t a bad one. My understanding is that they are based on the gyros inside your phone—the ones help power it on and off depending on how you hold your phone. So as long as the phone is in good condition and hasn’t been severely damaged, it should work fine.

Regarding your 5* issue—I’ve asked the golf shop to regrip a club on occasion. It’s been good, but I do my own mostly just because I have the space and tools to do so.

I'm with you, if I'm gonna cuss I'd rather do it at myself...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, Tyler86 said:

This why I switched to round super strokes.

How are those designated/described/named?  I'd love to try them but will have to order either direct from them or an online reseller and I'd appreciate knowing what to call them.  Thanks in advance.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

8 hours ago, Bobbers said:

How are those designated/described/named?  I'd love to try them but will have to order either direct from them or an online reseller and I'd appreciate knowing what to call them.  Thanks in advance.

I use the Tour 3.0. The Tour line has a slight flat spot on the top but its very subtle. Not sure if its as subtle on the 1.0 and 2.0. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

On 4/2/2022 at 1:43 PM, Bobbers said:

Couple of things...

I have installed well over 5000 putter grips in my career in the golf business.  I have used multiple gripping stations and jigs in several different shops. I've worked with master club builders and club designers. I've been to the factories and on tour vans and watched the techs grip every type of club.

I've seen some stuff.

In my experience, with putters, I've had the most success installing the grip as square as possible, then hand it to the customer and ask them how it looks to them. It is shocking how often it needs to be adjusted. We make adjustments to the grip so that is "looks square" to the customer, and send it on its way.

We all see things differently. What looks square to me (and is because of installation technique) can look incredibly open or closed to someone else. The customer holding the putter has to see it is as square, even if it is not. 

I agree that there are ways to install a grip so that the flat part is 90° perpendicular to the face of the putter. If I aim perfectly, and always return the putter to impact in the same orientation, then perfectly square installation would be important.  I don't putt like this, and neither do 99% of players.

The putter that I putt best with has a 2.4° difference in face and grip angle. Directly from the factory. And the grip is slightly twisted.  I will never regrip it.  I know it is not square, and I still start the ball on the proper line most of the time.  

There is a lot of good information in this thread, so take what you will.  Just know that stressing over a degree or 2 in grip orientation might not be worth the effort.  Or maybe it is. 

My golden rule will always be, If it looks straight to you, then it is.

Play well this week!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

19 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Couple of things...

I have installed well over 5000 putter grips in my career in the golf business.  I have used multiple gripping stations and jigs in several different shops. I've worked with master club builders and club designers. I've been to the factories and on tour vans and watched the techs grip every type of club.

I've seen some stuff.

In my experience, with putters, I've had the most success installing the grip as square as possible, then hand it to the customer and ask them how it looks to them. It is shocking how often it needs to be adjusted. We make adjustments to the grip so that is "looks square" to the customer, and send it on its way.

We all see things differently. What looks square to me (and is because of installation technique) can look incredibly open or closed to someone else. The customer holding the putter has to see it is as square, even if it is not. 

I agree that there are ways to install a grip so that the flat part is 90° perpendicular to the face of the putter. If I aim perfectly, and always return the putter to impact in the same orientation, then perfectly square installation would be important.  I don't putt like this, and neither do 99% of players.

The putter that I putt best with has a 2.4° difference in face and grip angle. Directly from the factory. And the grip is slightly twisted.  I will never regrip it.  I know it is not square, and I still start the ball on the proper line most of the time.  

There is a lot of good information in this thread, so take what you will.  Just know that stressing over a degree or 2 in grip orientation might not be worth the effort.  Or maybe it is. 

Play well this week!

Thanks. I just had a reputable shop regrip my putter and they used a level on the face to mount my putter with the face straight up in the vice but they just carefully eyeballed it when they slid the grip on. It looks square to me, and I doubt players are able to grip exactly the same every single time anyway. I know I can slightly manipulate my grip on the putter to square the face at address too.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

4 hours ago, Tyler86 said:

I use the Tour 3.0. The Tour line has a slight flat spot on the top but its very subtle. Not sure if its as subtle on the 1.0 and 2.0. 

Thanks.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

34 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Couple of things...

I've seen some stuff.

Play well this week!

So much truth in this post. Why I havent installed 5000 putter grips, when I worked in a shop I took advantage of having the customer in the shop while I did putter grips so I could adjust to their eye as needed. Never had a  grip returned by using a simple torpedo level on head, eyeballing, and checking square at address using something square. Like my golf swing, I try not to over think it. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

It’s funny. Whenever I’ve replaced my other club grips, I’ve just eyeballed it, and I’ve never had a problem with them. Then the first time I install my putter grip, I decided to look up SuperStroke’s install vid for info, and they graphically placed an emphasis on making sure that the flat side of the grip is 90 degrees to the putter face.

But as @MmmmmmBuddy mentioned, I kinda wish I was a little off because how the grip currently feels in my hand. My right palm (I’m a lefty) wants the flat side to tilt a couple degrees in the right direction.

Ah well, lesson learned. 

WITB 2024