TESTERS WANTED! ×

Clubs for. My 11 year old son

My son Tyler, 11, 5'2" 115lbs is starting to really enjoy hitting balls at range. He has had a few lessons and I am planning to schedule weekly lessons as soon as it Warms up a bit. 

In mean time, I want to build him a set. Fro. A I read he only needs and 1" shorter. 

Currently I have following  heads:

Ping eye 2 + 

Mizuno mx23

I also have a set of fake. Mp20 mmc, someone sold. Them to me on ebay, I got. My money back so they are just hanging on the WA looking pretty. They are a very good fake, nice neo950 shafts. 

I was thinking of cutting them down for Tyler, I figure if he canearn to hit hit those. Blades he can hit anything. 

Charts on sizing clubs all show just 1" shorter then std, that seams to long to me. I feel. Like he would be better with shorter shafts.... 

Also I was gonn put some dynamic gold lite r400 I have laying around, or I could use the neo950gh reg flex steel or I have some old reg flex graphite shaft pulls. From some pings. Was so tgi king just giving him irons and maybe a hybrid. 

Cbfodalo

Mizuno fan boy. 

Driver Mizuno st-z 220

Mavrik sz 3 wood

Jpx flihi  4 5hy

Jpx921 forged 5-gw

T22 55/9, 60/6

13 hours ago, Mizuno fan boy said:

I was thinking of cutting them down for Tyler, I figure if he canearn to hit hit those. Blades he can hit anything. 

This is the biggest club myth out there when it comes to juniors. My son's pro has seen more kids quit the game because of parents who cut down adult blades (or any adult clubs in general) and think that's the right way to go. Build him clubs that make it EASIER to play golf, not harder. Let him have fun. Better yet, talk to the pro when he starts lessons to see what he recommends, not what you think he needs. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Appreciate the input. Like I said I have three sets to choose from right now. All of whick are probable better choice then those crap junio sets sold. 

I will build him a set of irons probable the mx23 and the mp20 and let him decide which one he wants to play. The way he hits now with some serious crappy old  junior clubs that are clearly too small. I have every confidence in his ability to develope and enjoy the game. 

Cbfodalo

Mizuno fan boy. 

Driver Mizuno st-z 220

Mavrik sz 3 wood

Jpx flihi  4 5hy

Jpx921 forged 5-gw

T22 55/9, 60/6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 10:18 PM, Mizuno fan boy said:

Appreciate the input. Like I said I have three sets to choose from right now. All of whick are probable better choice then those crap junio sets sold. 

I will build him a set of irons probable the mx23 and the mp20 and let him decide which one he wants to play. The way he hits now with some serious crappy old  junior clubs that are clearly too small. I have every confidence in his ability to develope and enjoy the game. 

I honestly don't think some of the junior sets are that bad. Obviously worse than the top of the line equipment but other than the driver I liked the USKG Tour Series set that I played as recently as 5 years ago. The Cobra Jr driver worked well for me to replace the USKG driver, and I just put a regular flex shaft in it when the jr shaft became too whippy. I still think the irons and wedges from USKG are really good for the price, and have light enough shafts and swing weights.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

11 hours ago, RobbyT said:

I honestly don't think some of the junior sets are that bad. Obviously worse than the top of the line equipment but other than the driver I liked the USKG Tour Series set that I played as recently as 5 years ago. The Cobra Jr driver worked well for me to replace the USKG driver, and I just put a regular flex shaft in it when the jr shaft became too whippy. I still think the irons and wedges from USKG are really good for the price, and have light enough shafts and swing weights.

Absolutely correct. The US Kids clubs are top notch, as are the Cobras, Callaways, Tour Edge, etc. Lots of great clubs out there that are far better options for young golfers learning the game than cut down blades or musclebacks. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 weeks later...

I used sizing charts found online and it said since he is 5'2" to only shorten shafts an 1" so I pulled the modus neo960 50gh reg shafts out of the mp 20's cut  down some old Mizuno super light weight graphite shafts, I think they are ladies flex or senior flex cannot remeber, and gave him a 7i to try and compare  the US kids clubs he had from last year. 

He asked me to cut them down some more so. Cut off an additional 2". Put on ladies grips as his he said grips where too big. 

So he is playing some  mp20, hmb irons 3-pw, a jpx 900 sand wedge,  jpx flihi 4 and 5 hibred and a ping g2 10 deg driver, odessey white hot #7 putter. 

All cut down 3* except putter. 

Lessons start up again this coming weekend. 

He is some damn flexible he turns like a wet nooe. He was really stroking the drive out to like 125-150,hitting the hybrid probable the straightest and was using the 3i to hit low Liners at a trash can target on range we go to. 

You all might be right, but I don't think so. Those kids clubs are garbage. I put super light ladies flex shafts till his swing speed improves. I have at least 5 sets of shafts and 3 sets of heads to play with for him. So far he likes the mp20 hmb. He is 11 years old 5'2 and an athletic 120lbs.  I have him a choice between 4 sets of irons. 

Mizuno Mx23 forged cb

Ping Eye2 

Mizuno mp20 hmb

And a cheap kids set of old cobra irons. 

Cbfodalo

Mizuno fan boy. 

Driver Mizuno st-z 220

Mavrik sz 3 wood

Jpx flihi  4 5hy

Jpx921 forged 5-gw

T22 55/9, 60/6