Looking for a new 3-wood

NJM

Any opinions on a new 3 wood (doesn't have to be the newest models out right now). I'm a former DI college player who played a few mini tour events but I quit for 12 years and I'm getting back into competitive play again. I hit 3 wood a lot off the tee. I currently use a Cobra f6 that I love with a Hzrdous smoke shaft but I feel like I need a slight upgrade. I'm currently only playing to a 5 handicap with a swing speed of about 108 right now if that helps. Just looking for suggestions. I love the look of the Srixon but I've never used their woods. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Mizino ST Driver, Cobra f6 3-wood, Honma Rose Proto irons 3-P, Cleveland Wedges, Cleveland Huntington Beach Putter. Tobacco Road is my happy place!

They are all good, I’m general you can’t go wrong with any of them.  Have to find one that looks good to you, has the right loft, length and shaft to go with your swing. 

Under rated options are pxg 0211, Mizuno, sub 70

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You have a lot of options depending on how much you want to commit financially. Here is the link for last years most wanted woods.  
https://mygolfspy.com/2021-most-wanted-fairway-wood/

If your looking to stay relatively cheaper you have the option of sub70 or pxg. I saw the previous year for pxg is really affordable right now. A few people have even ditched their woods for the super hybrids from callaway. What overall are you looking for with the new 3 wood?

20 minutes ago, NJM said:

Any opinions on a new 3 wood (doesn't have to be the newest models out right now). I'm a former DI college player who played a few mini tour events but I quit for 12 years and I'm getting back into competitive play again. I hit 3 wood a lot off the tee. I currently use a Cobra f6 that I love with a Hzrdous smoke shaft but I feel like I need a slight upgrade. I'm currently only playing to a 5 handicap with a swing speed of about 108 right now if that helps. Just looking for suggestions. I love the look of the Srixon but I've never used their woods. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

lol

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

What are you trying to get out of your 3 wood? You hit it a lot off the tee, so are you wanting more distance or more forgiveness out of it?

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Looking for a little more distance, I love how well I can move the Cobra both directions but I feel like some of the newer technology will still allow me to move it with added distance. I love the look of the Sub70 woods and the new Srixon, I hit the Stealth the other day but I didn't love the feel. 

Mizino ST Driver, Cobra f6 3-wood, Honma Rose Proto irons 3-P, Cleveland Wedges, Cleveland Huntington Beach Putter. Tobacco Road is my happy place!

8 minutes ago, NJM said:

Looking for a little more distance, I love how well I can move the Cobra both directions but I feel like some of the newer technology will still allow me to move it with added distance. I love the look of the Sub70 woods and the new Srixon, I hit the Stealth the other day but I didn't love the feel. 

This is what you are going to have to do. We can all tell you our thoughts on clubs and until you hit it you won’t know if you agree. In some cases a strong 4w/3hl could work, a strong 3w at 13* could be better fit than a 15*. We call all recommend our favorite shafts but again they may or may not work. 

Getting a fitting at a place that offers multiple brands may be the easiest/cheapest route

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’ve been tempted by fairway woods again. No idea what I should do. Stick with my super or get a true three wood. Fitter says my setup is fine. I have to learn to trust right?

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

20 hours ago, NJM said:

Similar to you, was gaming a Sonartec SS-07 13° and like so many times the answer is just get fit. Can't really go wrong with a lot of the heads now days but matching the right head and right shaft means all there difference. I've tried several heads and different shaft combos and they all perform pretty well but depends on the gap and flight you're looking for, some hit too far, some too high, etc. 

Keep the shaft.  Maybe upgrade to the Cobra F8 3-4 combo wood or an F9.  Won't have to change the adapter.

• Like 1

GPS111

I was fitted for the Ping G425 and love it!  Consistently straight which I prefer versus distance.  Good luck!

Zgolfen

Might check out the TSi fairways.  Would suggest the TSi2, which comes in a 13.5 and 15.0.  I have a 16.5 which I find has better distance than my 917F which I hit very well of the tee.  Titleist has come a long way with their divers and fairways this series.  Might try it with the Fujikura Speeder shafts.  Just one opinion.  My fitter did me right.  

• Like 1

Titleist

DRIVER - TSi3 11.50* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S   

FAIRWAY - TSI2 15.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300,  SM7 - 58.12D N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER -  + 2022 PING PLD  - 35" Anser Milled Black Matte   * Ping Midsize Grip

++  2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2   *GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red and Black Cart 14 

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY - StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove

SHOES - FOOTJOY - Premieres, Traditions, Tradition MyJoys, Pro/SLs, Flex, Flex XP, DryJoy Tour MyJoys, Icon MyJoys, Rain Boots. 

APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

RANGEFINDER -  BUSHNELL - Pro XE

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a month old, but if you're teeing off a lot with it I'd look into the Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour. I just got one and I'm consistently 3-5 yards behind my driver with it off the tee box and it hasn't missed a fairway yet. I absolutely love my driver but I'm finding it hard to pull it out of the bag the way this 3 wood is performing.

• Hmmm 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone Big Tour 13.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition (:srixon-small: ZX5/ZX7 combo set on the way!)
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: Maxfli TourX (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)