Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Looking for a new 3-wood

NJM

Any opinions on a new 3 wood (doesn't have to be the newest models out right now). I'm a former DI college player who played a few mini tour events but I quit for 12 years and I'm getting back into competitive play again. I hit 3 wood a lot off the tee. I currently use a Cobra f6 that I love with a Hzrdous smoke shaft but I feel like I need a slight upgrade. I'm currently only playing to a 5 handicap with a swing speed of about 108 right now if that helps. Just looking for suggestions. I love the look of the Srixon but I've never used their woods. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Mizino ST Driver, Cobra f6 3-wood, Honma Rose Proto irons 3-P, Cleveland Wedges, Cleveland Huntington Beach Putter. Tobacco Road is my happy place!

They are all good, I’m general you can’t go wrong with any of them.  Have to find one that looks good to you, has the right loft, length and shaft to go with your swing. 

Under rated options are pxg 0211, Mizuno, sub 70

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You have a lot of options depending on how much you want to commit financially. Here is the link for last years most wanted woods.  
https://mygolfspy.com/2021-most-wanted-fairway-wood/

If your looking to stay relatively cheaper you have the option of sub70 or pxg. I saw the previous year for pxg is really affordable right now. A few people have even ditched their woods for the super hybrids from callaway. What overall are you looking for with the new 3 wood?

20 minutes ago, NJM said:

Any opinions on a new 3 wood (doesn't have to be the newest models out right now). I'm a former DI college player who played a few mini tour events but I quit for 12 years and I'm getting back into competitive play again. I hit 3 wood a lot off the tee. I currently use a Cobra f6 that I love with a Hzrdous smoke shaft but I feel like I need a slight upgrade. I'm currently only playing to a 5 handicap with a swing speed of about 108 right now if that helps. Just looking for suggestions. I love the look of the Srixon but I've never used their woods. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

lol

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

What are you trying to get out of your 3 wood? You hit it a lot off the tee, so are you wanting more distance or more forgiveness out of it?

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Looking for a little more distance, I love how well I can move the Cobra both directions but I feel like some of the newer technology will still allow me to move it with added distance. I love the look of the Sub70 woods and the new Srixon, I hit the Stealth the other day but I didn't love the feel. 

Mizino ST Driver, Cobra f6 3-wood, Honma Rose Proto irons 3-P, Cleveland Wedges, Cleveland Huntington Beach Putter. Tobacco Road is my happy place!

8 minutes ago, NJM said:

Looking for a little more distance, I love how well I can move the Cobra both directions but I feel like some of the newer technology will still allow me to move it with added distance. I love the look of the Sub70 woods and the new Srixon, I hit the Stealth the other day but I didn't love the feel. 

This is what you are going to have to do. We can all tell you our thoughts on clubs and until you hit it you won’t know if you agree. In some cases a strong 4w/3hl could work, a strong 3w at 13* could be better fit than a 15*. We call all recommend our favorite shafts but again they may or may not work. 

Getting a fitting at a place that offers multiple brands may be the easiest/cheapest route

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’ve been tempted by fairway woods again. No idea what I should do. Stick with my super or get a true three wood. Fitter says my setup is fine. I have to learn to trust right?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

20 hours ago, NJM said:

Similar to you, was gaming a Sonartec SS-07 13° and like so many times the answer is just get fit. Can't really go wrong with a lot of the heads now days but matching the right head and right shaft means all there difference. I've tried several heads and different shaft combos and they all perform pretty well but depends on the gap and flight you're looking for, some hit too far, some too high, etc. 

Might check out the TSi fairways.  Would suggest the TSi2, which comes in a 13.5 and 15.0.  I have a 16.5 which I find has better distance than my 917F which I hit very well of the tee.  Titleist has come a long way with their divers and fairways this series.  Might try it with the Fujikura Speeder shafts.  Just one opinion.  My fitter did me right.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a month old, but if you're teeing off a lot with it I'd look into the Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour. I just got one and I'm consistently 3-5 yards behind my driver with it off the tee box and it hasn't missed a fairway yet. I absolutely love my driver but I'm finding it hard to pull it out of the bag the way this 3 wood is performing.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!