TESTERS WANTED! ×

MyGolfSpy Forum Face Lift by Themes

GolfSpy_APH

Have you tried any of the new MGS Themes?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried any of the new themes?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Themes are OPT IN now, should we make a new default and have them be OPT OUT?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. We may look at doing special edition defaults during Majors and other big events, would you be okay with this? Of course you can always easily change back to the regular theme at anytime.

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Do you prefer darker or lighter themes?

• Darker
    • Lighter
  5. 5. Should we keep the Master Theme permanently?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for those who request it (potential option with some work)

I'll try and keep this brief, but a few months back I got really bored with the look of the night and default theme (default truthfully I haven't used in years). So being in this position I was able to do some searching and get to work on creating some new themes for all of us to use. I'm sure many of you don't even know we have new themes. 

Along the way I learned a lot in the area of coding and my goodness how tricky these can be sometimes, however I managed to get 3 new Themes that I am really happy with.
- Mygolfspy 2022: which is a light and dark theme with a fresh look, new features with a slider for testing and blog content and more.
- Mygolfspy Alt Light: A basic theme with some more MGS like colors... nothing too special here but a theme that is easy on the eyes. 
- MGS Masters Theme: I think the title says it all. 
- Masters Special Edition MGS: This is the same as the Alternate Light, just with a Masters color overlay. 

So as I've been playing around with the various themes the beta group has tested many of them and provided very valuable feedback. Thank you to them! We are fortunate that there were several that were "free" to download and then just have to work to edit and get ready. 

My goal with these is to keep the forum fresh and give options to those that want to customize the look of the site to fit how they want to view the forum. 

Personally I would love to set the default to the Alt light or MGS 2022 and allow those who want to switch back to switch back. Then for Majors come Thursday morning set the default to our Special Edition themes which will stay for the course of the weekend and switch back on Monday or when the event finishes. 

For me I've been flipping back and forth constantly between all the themes and have enjoyed the fresh look for the forum. All the core functionalities are the same and work as they should, it is basically just a new color scheme that allows you to get a different look and therefore feel to the forum. 

So with that I'll open it up to questions and see what the polls come out as. 

Also for those wanting to try any of the new ones just scroll to the bottom of the page, select Theme and a list of different ones will come out. 

**We have two Masters Themes just this once, because I have tried two different templates and wanted to see which once ended up being more stable and functional** Going forward only 1 Special Edition Theme will be available.  

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Thanks for all your hard work on this Jamie!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

53 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'll try and keep this brief, but a few months back I got really bored with the look of the night and default theme (default truthfully I haven't used in years). So being in this position I was able to do some searching and get to work on creating some new themes for all of us to use. I'm sure many of you don't even know we have new themes. (This would be correct...)

Along the way I learned a lot in the area of coding and my goodness how tricky these can be sometimes, however I managed to get 3 new Themes that I am really happy with.
- Mygolfspy 2022: which is a light and dark theme with a fresh look, new features with a slider for testing and blog content and more.
- Mygolfspy Alt Light: A basic theme with some more MGS like colors... nothing too special here but a theme that is easy on the eyes.   (I'm a fan of this one!)
- MGS Masters Theme: I think the title says it all. 
- Masters Special Edition MGS: This is the same as the Alternate Light, just with a Masters color overlay. 

Also for those wanting to try any of the new ones just scroll to the bottom of the page, (this tidbit of info was important!) select Theme and a list of different ones will come out. 

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

8 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

I mean I have been promoting them everywhere that I can in various threads and pages, but often a lot of it gets missed so I'm glad that you've found this thread helpful!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I mean I have been promoting them everywhere that I can in various threads and pages, but often a lot of it gets missed so I'm glad that you've found this thread helpful!

I've been crazy busy; not YOUR fault I missed it...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Just now, MGoBlue100 said:

I've been crazy busy; not YOUR fault I missed it...

So many times these features fall through the cracks. We have had the Night Theme for years and years, but still many had no idea about it. 

Hopefully bringing more awareness to it will allow more users to find it and take advantage of them! 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So many times these features fall through the cracks. We have had the Night Theme for years and years, but still many had no idea about it. 

Hopefully bringing more awareness to it will allow more users to find it and take advantage of them! 

... As someone that is IT "challenged" I am not a fan of change when I am comfortable, if not fluent with the current set up. That said, having "opt in" options seems like a great idea. Clicking Themes at the bottom was easy and just confirmed my preference for the current format. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Great work on the themes, I’m definitely a fan. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

As some may have seen on Twitter the blog site is due for a big update sometime soon I believe and I would expect that we will see a bit of a change to the standard theme, even if it is just colors to help match and be more similar to the main site. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... As someone that is IT "challenged" I am not a fan of change when I am comfortable, if not fluent with the current set up. That said, having "opt in" options seems like a great idea. Clicking Themes at the bottom was easy and just confirmed my preference for the current format. 

I would personally love it too be opt out as new ppl and test sign up ppl would then see the newer updates, but more then understand how change can be harder and less comfortable for many. 

It's a tough balance and when trying to attract new members while keeping current members happy we will do our best to find what is the best way to proceed. 

More importantly the default standard theme that so many are use to will still stay and be there no matter what. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

It's a tough balance and when trying to attract me members while keeping current members happy we will do our best to find what is the best way to proceed. 

More importantly the default standard theme that so many are use to will still stay and be there no matter what.

... I have heard all my life that older folks don't like change. Of course change is the only constant so I vowed never to let change bother me OR  have a negative opinion of a younger generations choice of clothes or music. It takes diligence but it is obtainable. So giving my opinion about keeping things as they are is one thing, complaining IF it were to change is another. Like everything else in life, if change occurs at MGS I will adjust and learn to love it. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I more then understand that some changes will be loved and others well not loved, For me as a Mod on the site part of my goal is to continue to drive the Forum forward and make sure it continues to be a go to place for golf testing and community. 

Of course a big part that is important to me as well (as I hope membership has noticed) is to be as transparent as possible with changes and provide the necessary support and assistance for those who may be struggling with any of the changes. 

I figure the Opt In function will stay, that is just a safer way to go about it and allow all those who want to make the change in theme can and all those who are use to and prefer the standard default then there is no disruption to their experience. 

I still would LOVE to make the special themes default for events like the Majors... to me I think it is just a cool way to freshen things up and give users a fun new experience for a couple days. Not to mention I believe it separates us from other forums by doing that. However it does look like maybe we need a better more prominent way of showing users that there are other options for themes so they can more easily change back. 

All that being said I know that some themes ppl will love and others users will not enjoy. As Jlukes doesn't like the 2022 UI, for me it is my most used and I know a few others who really like it. Which is fine! Just like one driver or iron won't suit everyone, a single theme won't be loved by all. Hence why the default is well very safe with its blank color pallet. 

Appreciate all who are participating in the poles and hope we can all enjoy this more as we continue on this year! 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

I cycled through all of the themes and settled back on the default one. 

cannot stand the UI of the 2022 theme and the themes with colors are harsh on the eyes 

One thing that is often missed with the MGS 2022 theme is there is a switcher from dark to light. I'm a big dark user for almost everything, but recognize it isn't for all. Right by the notification there is a little paint can and it swaps to a lighter version. 

No idea if you already saw that or not, but worth mentioning. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

One thing that is often missed with the MGS 2022 theme is there is a switcher from dark to light. I'm a big dark user for almost everything, but recognize it isn't for all. Right by the notification there is a little paint can and it swaps to a lighter version. 

No idea if you already saw that or not, but worth mentioning. 

Yeah it’s not so much the colors with the 2022 theme that turn me off.  It’s the fonts, accents, sidebars and other things that just over complicate and clutter the screen

Thats my person preference/taste and nothing is wrong with options

Going go leave the default for the Masters as the votes were too close and too few to give me confidence in making any big change even for the weekend. 

That being said I have removed one of the Masters Themes (mod vote). We are happy with the single one. 

Nice to see the info on dark vs light themes and I believe we will keep the masters theme up... Simply because we can for now. 

Thanks for those who participated and we will keep the poll open for another little while. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I enjoyed cycling through. I'm a huge dark theme user on basically anything I regularly use, even my work computer. Appreciate all the work on this Jamie, it's fun having the options! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I'm glad many have enjoyed the themes. 

I'll leave the poll open for a while still, however the Masters Themes have been taken off. Sorry for those who really liked it, but the votes were not quite enough to keep it going full time. Stay tuned for the next Special Edition Theme around the next Major.

If you are a member and still desperately want to continue the use of the masters theme, let me know and I may be able to figure out something... maybe. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 1 month later...

PGA Championship Major Theme coming live in the next few minutes (I will admit it isn't perfect, but still has a nice look). This is a temp theme for the week of the PGA Championship! Following the end of the round it will be gone till next year!

Didn't know we had different themes? Scroll to the bottom of your page, select theme and see the variety of different looks we have for your personal preference! Spice up your experience and try out a theme or two and see if there is one you like more than others. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

image.jpeg.b4bc5d2b4b93b1e9209079d11b00ba3e.jpeg

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

17 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

PGA Championship Major Theme coming live in the next few minutes (I will admit it isn't perfect, but still has a nice look). This is a temp theme for the week of the PGA Championship! Following the end of the round it will be gone till next year!

Didn't know we had different themes? Scroll to the bottom of your page, select theme and see the variety of different looks we have for your personal preference! Spice up your experience and try out a theme or two and see if there is one you like more than others. 

I really like this one, you can just go ahead and leave it. 😁

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, 

As we get closer to the US Open I have made up another Major themed theme.... that wording is awful... anyway here is a preview and will be live when you read this. If there are any smaller bugs or colors missing please let me know and I'll do what I can to resolve them quickly. 

A side note for anyone in the beta testing group we are going to open up all Major themes to you to use. The Open theme is essentially done (thank you @Shankster for your assistance there) and with that we have a theme for all 4 majors. 

*** A known bug is the background going missing, if this happens please send me a PM and I can resolve it quickly ***

Enjoy and for those wanting into the beta please go 
HERE

As well here is a preview of the US Open SE Theme

Screenshot 2022-06-11 07.22.31.png

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 4 weeks later...

Small Update - The Open Theme is now live and available to all. @Shankster once again thanks for the hand with this one. 
- MGS Alternate Dark has been added as a companion to the Alt Light Theme, this has become my staple go to theme over the last while. 

Other Major Themes have been removed, except for beta users. If you wish to use any of the other major themese simply request the Beta Tag and we can get that for you. 

Finally unless I get bored and decide to do a FedEx Cup theme or Presidents Cup Theme that will be all until the Masters next year. Of course let me know of any bugs and I'll do what I can to adapt them. 

Enjoy for anyone who has been using them and hope the default one doesn't get too boring 😉

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Perhaps you could add “How to change themes (appearance of site)” to the FAQs. Themes as a tiny inconspicuous item at the bottom is hard to find and not intuitive. I’ve changed to the grey background, perhaps a description or screenshot of each theme could be in the FAQ post

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

18 minutes ago, Peaksy68 said:

Perhaps you could add “How to change themes (appearance of site)” to the FAQs. Themes as a tiny inconspicuous item at the bottom is hard to find and not intuitive. I’ve changed to the grey background, perhaps a description or screenshot of each theme could be in the FAQ post

I'll look into it. Could be a rainy sunday project... lets see how boring F1 is this afternoon. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

8 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Ask and you shall receive! Well at least for this... 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the latest forum update several theme colors/functions are broken. Over the next little while I'll work to get them back to as they were and with the appropriate colors. Apologies for this and hopefully future updates won't have these issues/consequences.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Themes - MGS 2022, Alt Light, Alt Dark have been updated and are running as intended. Please screenshot and send me any issues if you find any. I will also be tweaking a few of the colors of MGS 2022 with the text as it is a bit on the light side and a bit more contrast would be nice for everyones reading and easier on the eyes. 

Apologies for the down time with them and we hopefully have a plan in place to ensure any issues like this do not happen again. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

All of the themes function as they should, and all look great.

Just one may be more beneficial for a user than another due to their eyesight, and brightness of the room and screen they may be using.

Great job, and more times than not, those involved with website design and maintenance or IT work don't get enough recognition for their efforts.  👍 

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

• 2 months later...

Will be pairing down some of the themes and discontinuing a few/updating the main blog theme. Some more features will still be added, but please don't be surprised if you see some go away for a period of time. 

The staple themes will still be available with those being
Default MGS Theme
Night Mode (traditional dark mode which has been around forever)
MGS Blog (new default theme)

And for those who really want extra theme access please let me know as none will actually be deleted, but instead removed from normal access (much like the Major Themes). 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW