TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Hunting WITB 22

Driver: Currently testing all of the new drivers of 2022. Still waiting on the STZ-220 and New Cobra. Thoughts or suggestions?

5W: 915D Diamana S 70+

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3 iron

Irons: 5-GW Mizuno 921 Forged; Nipon Modus 120 Shafts,

Wedges: Vokey SM52/8, Vokey SM6 56/10. 

Putter: Mizuno MCraft IV Blue Ion 

1 hour ago, Dware said:

Driver: Currently testing all of the new drivers of 2022. Still waiting on the STZ-220 and New Cobra. Thoughts or suggestions?

5W: 915D Diamana S 70+

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3 iron

Irons: 5-GW Mizuno 921 Forged; Nipon Modus 120 Shafts,

Wedges: Vokey SM52/8, Vokey SM6 56/10. 

Putter: Mizuno MCraft IV Blue Ion 

Have you tried any of the Titleist TSi's? I recently got a TSi3 and I'm loving it so far. Looks great and sounds even better. I am just starting to unlock the performance capabilities of it and am really liking what I see so far. 

As much as I like my TSi2 3w, I am assuming that I would be equally impressed by the driver version of that head.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the other two head options in the TSi lineup but after looking at your profile, and from what Titleist says on their site, it looks like the  TSi1 might be a better fit for you...

TSi1 DRIVER

ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT DISTANCE.

For players with moderate swing speeds seeking an ultra-lightweight configuration to help maximize distance. Features super-lightweight components and a deep, face-centered CG for increased launch and exceptional ball speed.

Titleist Driver | Titleist TSi1 Driver | Titleist Golf Clubs

Good luck with the search...👍

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

I have tried the TSi3 the last 2 weeks and I hit a few good shots but I wasn’t consistent enough to play it as intended.  It was a 9deg with a Tour AD shaft. Felt great just continued my terrible slice. Not the clubs fault but previously I owned the 915D3 and TS2 just sold them both.  Feed back on the TSI3 was phenomenal and would recommend it for a better player. TSi1 may be the model best suited for me due to my tendency to lead my swing with my shoulders. Trying to break that habit. 

Over the last 3 months I have played multiple rounds 2 weeks at a time with the Steath, Rouge ST Max, Ping 425 Max, Mizuno STG. COBRA LTDX is on the way. 

Currently the Stealth is my favorite but after hitting the STZ220 today I am going to give that shot too hopefully. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did a fitting yesterday (first time for me and what an experience !)

I am currently using a wilson from the X31 series which is not that great regarding the data I had during the fitting. 

So I tried :

stealth : like the feeling, it feels like the head is on a track and "correct" the swing trajectory. Sound very good but the price is a big big con regarding my level and the time I spend using my clubs.

sim2 : a bit under the stealth. The look is a bit less aggressive but still a very good driver and quite the same sensation with the swing than the stealth and half the price (demo driver)

Srixon zx7: interesting but nothing  special compared to the other 3. Much more a feeling of stronger inertia created by the head but soft feeling at the impact

Cobra LTDx : my favorite regarding the look with the 2 lines on the top. I managed to hit 2 wonferful swings and the feeling was soooooo rewarding ! Did both on the driver and 5w. Also the one with the best smash factor and less spread regarding my fitting. I feel like I had a raw driver with a "true feedback" : if it was a bad shot it would make me feel it was one and if it was a great one, it's just wow

Driver : :wilson-small: X31 

3 Woods : :wilson-small: X31

Hybrid : :wilson-small: X31

Irons : :callaway-small: Steelhead X16

Wedges : :titleist-small: SM7 58°

Putter : :taylormade-small: Spider X Hydroblast 34"

I play the TSi3 and love it. I have a fast swing and can find the middle of the face pretty consistently. Definitely a good option! 

• Driver-:titelist-small: TSi 3 9*( Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65)
  • 3W- :cobra-small:Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14*
  • 3H-:cobra-small: Speedzone (UST Recoil 480 ESX (F4)
  • 5-A-:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • 56*-:taylormade-small: MG3
  • 60*-:vokey-small: SM8
  • Putter-:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"
  • Ball- ProV1X :titelist-small: or :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS
  • Range Finder- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack
  • Bags-:titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag or :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 in red, white, and blue
  • Spikes-:nike-small:,:footjoy-small:,:cobra-small:

I bought a Callaway Epic Max at the end of last year and love it.  

I bought a Stealth this spring and was disappointed.  Epic is much more forgiving.

Traded the Stealth for a new bag and wedge.  Hitting the snot out of the Epic.  

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

The search continues...

After testing each of these drivers for 2 Weeks at a Time (At least 3-4 rounds each) the Stealth, Rouge ST Max LS, Mizuno STX-220, Mizuno STZ-220, Ping 425Max, Cobra LTDx Max, and TSi3.

I have a few thoughts and assessments to make. Now these thoughts are all based on my personal experiences and also how I was playing during that 2 week stretch when I had the club. These clubs were all brand new and I was the first person to play with the club...not that it made a difference I just wanted to clarify.

(TLDR: I really Enjoyed the Stealth and Ping 425 Max.)

This quest started the week that TaylorMade launched the new Stealth line and has continued ever since. During that 2 week period when I got the Stealth I decided to try and change my swing to get as much power out of my driver as possible. I was tired of hitting it about 255 off the tee with less than 50% FIR. Grip it and Rip it was my strategy. After about 150 practice swings with the Stealth it felt as if I was wielding Excalibur. I had the upmost confidence in the club and even my miss hits didn't slice OB as they previously did with my 915D3 Driver. I played multiple amazing rounds with the club and even took it to the local pop-stroke simulator to see how far I was hitting the club with my friends. I was averaging around 265-295 yards(with roll) depending on how much I dialed it up but at the end of the day didn't pull the trigger due to the price point and wanting to try out more clubs. This lead me to the Callaway Rouge ST Max LS

This Club was different compared to the Stealth. The sound was similar but the head felt much lighter during the swing. I noticed instantly a loss in about 10-15 yards compared to the Stealth that I was hitting just days prior. This was a little frustrating to me so I started really trying to turn up the swing speed and that lead to my massive left to right slice showing back up. Ultimately starting the demise of my swing to its current state. (Side Note...I am not a great golfer. Personal best round was a 82 and I will get to that in a minute). Back to the Driver. I really liked the clubs sound and I think I would of been better off testing out a lower flighted model (Yes, I did try to adjust the loft. Just didn't feel right). I was really getting some height on the Driver and with the SE Florida winds I was getting little to no carry/roll out. Either way I was a huge fan of the club and thought it was an upgrade from the Epic Speed I tried out the previous season. Not quite as good as the Stealth.

Next on the list was the Ping 425 Max. I personally did not thing in a million years that I would like a ping driver. I have never been a fan of their clubs and ya know what? Shame on me. I saw that this Club won best driver of 2022 on this very website and figured what the Hell lets give it a shot as well. I was not a fan of the acoustic sound that it made when striking the ball but I got over that really fast when I shot a personal best 82. The club had great feel and was long off the Tee Box. Forgiveness was everything and more you could ask for. I found myself in more fairways and consistently longer than my playing partners. Was a real confidence boost knowing that when I pulled that club out of the bag it was going to find the short grass. Testing this club and playing so well with it has made it really difficult to make my final decision on a driver. Hands down was not expecting such great results from the 425 Max. I called it my large Tuna Can but I got over the sound issue really easily. If you are a fan of Ping Drivers and have not given this club an opportunity. I would highly recommend it. 

TSi3........I have played a Titleist driver for the past 8 years and thought that I would instantly fall in love with this club. I was deeply mistaken. It wasn't the club it was my swing. After I shot the 82 my swing fell apart and has not recovered since. Ugly uncontrollable slice. Not Throwing my weight, rolling my hands over...the game is just in a bad spot currently and I played my worst with this club. Except there was a stretch of holes from 9-18 where I scored Par on 9, Doubled 10, and Par'd 11-18. Shot a 38 on the back 9 to follow up my 52 on the front. I hit the club well then and it is everything you would expect from a Titleist. Sounds pure, fells good during the swing, and isn't anything too flashy when it comes to design and looks. Just your proto-typical Titleist Driver. The Club has great pop but I hated this club the most so far out of all the clubs I tested. I think this is due to how poorly I played the other 5 rounds with it. Im sure its a great club but just not right for me. Would not recommend it. (Side Note..Last week I did a fitting and the recommendation was for a TSi2. Still pondering this decision).

Mizuno STZ-220: I am a Mizuno irons guy. I don't know for how much longer due to the fact that I cant get the ball in the air and may need to revert back to player improvement irons. Maybe even super game improvement irons. This club I was only able to test out for 3 rounds. I hit the ball well with it just not as long as the TM, Rogue, Ping. Which was a little disappointing and it was not as forgiving as I would of assumed based on the review that I read. Felt great, sounded great, but just didn't really do anything to stand out to me. I was hoping that I would hit it once and it would be a match made in heaven but that just didn't happen. I continued down my path of Left to right Sliced drive after sliced Drive. Don't get me wrong its not the club its 100% me! (*Disclaimer: Always blame the equipment). Just didn't really get a big enough sample size with this driver to give any feed back. I liked the club and am contemplating buying it due to its fair pricing and its a Mizuno. 

Cobra LTDxMax: Still testing this club currently. I would put it in the category right there with the Rogue ST Max LS. Club has some serious pop to it and feels very balanced. I was surprised with how well I hit the club and I really like the design and moveable weights. After the adjustments were made I noticed a real change in ball flight and distance. I am not leaning towards this club simply because I feel that there are better alternatives out there. TM and Ping which I felt more comfortable with, but between this and the Rogue its a hard tie for 3rd. Club has some serious distance when you catch it pure and is easier to control vs the TSi3 and Mizuno. Sending it back tomorrow but still wish I played my Saturday and Sunday round with it just so I could be sure. Still a solid option. 

Last is the STX-220. I have played 2 rounds with this driver. I do not have an update on anything other than the shaft option that it came with was 50g S flex and it feels like orange whip during the swing. Need to see more shots with this club but when hit Pure it has a great sounds and fly's a mile. After 36 Holes with this Club I know that it isn't for me but if I was able to keep the head and get a stiffer shaft to help keep the flight down I think it would be right there with distance vs the Ping and Stealth. I am trying to purchase a driver within the next 2 weeks but am still up in the air on what I want to purchase. 

Thanks for coming to my uninformative TED talk. 

If you have already fit your ball to your irons as recommended by the knowledgeable folks at MGS & TXG, then take a couple of sleeves of that ball to your driver fitting.
-- Many driver heads have loft & weight adjustability & most brands have good selection of shafts for “tweaking” ball flight parameters to your ball.  You can also pay a modest / major shaft “upcharge” for minimal gain (law of diminishing returns)

—  don’t expect huge distance gains unless you have a rather old driver as max distance has been controlled by USGA/R&A via driver face COR specs (based on robot testing)

— you CAN expect less loss of distance from mis-hits as brands have expanded “sweet spot” in driver but still not exceeded COR limits

There of plenty of driver tests & reviews at MGS (multiple category winners) & TXG (Mizuno & Tour Edge were 2021 bracket finalists.)  

Besides objective testing & ball flight data, you may want the “look” at your set- up to provide confidence and the sound / feel at impact to be satisfying.

Good luck in your testing & fitting !

Remember it’s hard to duplicate on-course playing conditions for objective testing/comparison as temp, wind, humidity, your swing feels, etc. can vary day to day & week to week.  The sound at impact will be realistic vs indoor/launch monitor testing in my opinion.  I’ve read that expert club builders can tune sound by adding “hot melt” through driver hosel…..

Assuming you’re not playing from tips & 150 yd & in game is basically sound, then 80’s scores indicate to me a couple more fairways & bit of mid/long iron help could get you to upper 70’s (my $.02)

As for your iron woes, you could consider 1) a higher spinning ball or      2) a combo set (or both)

Spending more money, a shaft change is an option (softer, lower kick point, softer tip, etc)
828F1B1F-65A7-49EB-8B71-4D698BD13AAA.jpeg.6f69d1b700ce56e939b0b7d958a2b2ed.jpeg
FB354672-5F36-4B93-9EB5-DAF6147CF3F2.jpeg.3d77c8abed894f2a4b52544a5224ebf1.jpeg

Good luck !

If you can, try a fitting with PXG.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

5 hours ago, Dware said:

TSi3........I have played a Titleist driver for the past 8 years and thought that I would instantly fall in love with this club. I was deeply mistaken. It wasn't the club it was my swing. After I shot the 82 my swing fell apart and has not recovered since. Ugly uncontrollable slice. Not Throwing my weight, rolling my hands over...the game is just in a bad spot currently and I played my worst with this club. Except there was a stretch of holes from 9-18 where I scored Par on 9, Doubled 10, and Par'd 11-18. Shot a 38 on the back 9 to follow up my 52 on the front. I hit the club well then and it is everything you would expect from a Titleist. Sounds pure, fells good during the swing, and isn't anything too flashy when it comes to design and looks. Just your proto-typical Titleist Driver. The Club has great pop but I hated this club the most so far out of all the clubs I tested. I think this is due to how poorly I played the other 5 rounds with it. Im sure its a great club but just not right for me. Would not recommend it. (Side Note..Last week I did a fitting and the recommendation was for a TSi2. Still pondering this decision).

TSi2s are a solid driver. I messed around with both that and a TSi3 in a simulator back before thanksgiving and was impressed with both. I wound up choosing the TSi3 for my driver because i figured that with it's combination of weight/hosel settings, i could find something that would work for me if i didn't mesh with it early on.(ironically, it actually works best for me in the neutral weight setting, LOL). Plus i wanted the lower ball flight that i was getting in the sim compared to the TSi2... 

Before i had ordered my driver, i was at a local shop and was basically forced into buying a very lightly used TSi2 3w because of the price they offered it to me at. I didn't get to play for a week plus after i got it because of bad weather and ordered my TSi3 in that downtime. When i finally did get to play again, i instantly fell in love with the 3w and i spent the next 9wks worrying that i ordered the wrong driver. Luckily though, it wasn't an issue as i really like the TSi3 driver.

So, considering your fitting recommendation combined with the way i hit the TSi2 3w and my short but good sim session with the driver version i would recommend at least doing another sim session with a TSi2 before making a final decision.

Edited by brutal brutus

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Just went in for a fitting, and tbh, I was only really looking at the Stealth and the Rogue ST... But I've ordered the Cobra LTDxLS with X-stiff Tensei AV raw white.  Its long, forgiving, low-spinning and confidence inspiring!  Definitely worth a look if you're going for a fitting 👍

Thank you to everyone for the responses and I have finally made my decision on where I will be taking my abysmal driving talents. 

It will be with the Taylormade Stealth. After looking back over my rounds and my FIR%, Acoustic, and Feel. I think that overall it gives me the most confidence and great results in regards to Length and Forgiveness. It was a fun process to give every new Driver in the class of 2022 a test drive. (Every Major Brand) 

Looking back on it I wish I would have kept a journal or started a review channel on YT. I spent $25 on each Demo from Globalgolf great site if anyone else ever wanted to test a club their U-Try program is great. Stumbled upon it a few years back and it has helped me save $$ on not randomly buying clubs or going for fittings. In total I spent $175 on all of my testing and got a great understanding of what I enjoyed and what I didn't. Currently shooting in the mid to high 90's. Lets see if I can get back to mid 80's this summer. 

On 5/3/2022 at 1:16 AM, Golfist said:

Remember it’s hard to duplicate on-course playing conditions for objective testing/comparison as temp, wind, humidity, your swing feels, etc. can vary day to day & week to week.  The sound at impact will be realistic vs indoor/launch monitor testing in my opinion.  I’ve read that expert club builders can tune sound by adding “hot melt” through driver hosel…..

Assuming you’re not playing from tips & 150 yd & in game is basically sound, then 80’s scores indicate to me a couple more fairways & bit of mid/long iron help could get you to upper 70’s (my $.02)

As for your iron woes, you could consider 1) a higher spinning ball or      2) a combo set (or both)

Spending more money, a shaft change is an option (softer, lower kick point, softer tip, etc)
828F1B1F-65A7-49EB-8B71-4D698BD13AAA.jpeg.6f69d1b700ce56e939b0b7d958a2b2ed.jpeg
FB354672-5F36-4B93-9EB5-DAF6147CF3F2.jpeg.3d77c8abed894f2a4b52544a5224ebf1.jpeg

Good luck !

Thank you for the Table examples. So you are suggesting that I add a few different clubs in my bag to add some distance due to most of my shots being longer Iron approaches into the green? 

Thanks, 

I got a Ping G425 LST, it's been a wonderful club.  Long and forgiving, but also gets a lot of roll on our high desert fairways in Utah.  I got the Rouge White shaft and really love it.  Highly recommended. 

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

Interesting trial method. Sounds like you are a 15+ hcp. A little deeper selection and you might have looked at the TSi-2 instead of the -3. The clue would be how well you hit the 425 Max. The Stealth is a good choice (hard for a Titleist guy to say..) but at that price looking at a PXG gen 5 would be comparable. The 0211 is a good value option.  The downside to your method is not optimizing the shaft. I’m sure Miz would agree. 
Remember when PXG was an outrageous price??

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

The Ping g425 Max is a complete savior of me getting back into the game after a 20 year family layoff.  MY wife bought me a complete Cobra FLY XL set for my birthday so that she can get me out of the house and out of her hair.  The driver that came with the set felt like trying to swing a al dente noodle with a Christmas ornament attached to it (now to be fair I have read and watched plenty of other reviews that say the driver is good for beginning golfers and helps with their confidence).  For my swing and my game it caused me a lot of grief.  After a trip to Dick's and trying out the Ping, Cobra LTDx, TM Stealth, and Rouge ST Max - man they have really changed after my last driver, the TM Burner Bubble - it came down to aesthetics, consistency, and feedback.  I like the look of the Ping at address, it doesn't intimidate or cause other thoughts about the look as I stand over it - the flat black head with the "wings" pointing to where to center the ball was.  The consistency of my shots was good as they miss hits didn't venture too far off center and in most cases I would probably be happy with the results.  The feedback on toe hits (a little pingy - pardon the pun) and heal hits (kind of clunky) let me know how I missed but didn't lose too much of the line. I will say that the distance of the TM Stealth was tempting (about 15 yards longer on the good shots) but the amount of off center hits was higher and traveled farther off line.  ANd honestly nothing against the Cobra or the Callaway, but for the money I just spent I think I will have a club that stays in my bag for more seasons without wondering what if in regards to the others I tried or have me chasing a new one next year.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

On 5/2/2022 at 8:57 PM, Dware said:

The search continues...

After testing each of these drivers for 2 Weeks at a Time (At least 3-4 rounds each) the Stealth, Rouge ST Max LS, Mizuno STX-220, Mizuno STZ-220, Ping 425Max, Cobra LTDx Max, and TSi3.

I have a few thoughts and assessments to make. Now these thoughts are all based on my personal experiences and also how I was playing during that 2 week stretch when I had the club. These clubs were all brand new and I was the first person to play with the club...not that it made a difference I just wanted to clarify.

(TLDR: I really Enjoyed the Stealth and Ping 425 Max.)

This quest started the week that TaylorMade launched the new Stealth line and has continued ever since. During that 2 week period when I got the Stealth I decided to try and change my swing to get as much power out of my driver as possible. I was tired of hitting it about 255 off the tee with less than 50% FIR. Grip it and Rip it was my strategy. After about 150 practice swings with the Stealth it felt as if I was wielding Excalibur. I had the upmost confidence in the club and even my miss hits didn't slice OB as they previously did with my 915D3 Driver. I played multiple amazing rounds with the club and even took it to the local pop-stroke simulator to see how far I was hitting the club with my friends. I was averaging around 265-295 yards(with roll) depending on how much I dialed it up but at the end of the day didn't pull the trigger due to the price point and wanting to try out more clubs. This lead me to the Callaway Rouge ST Max LS

This Club was different compared to the Stealth. The sound was similar but the head felt much lighter during the swing. I noticed instantly a loss in about 10-15 yards compared to the Stealth that I was hitting just days prior. This was a little frustrating to me so I started really trying to turn up the swing speed and that lead to my massive left to right slice showing back up. Ultimately starting the demise of my swing to its current state. (Side Note...I am not a great golfer. Personal best round was a 82 and I will get to that in a minute). Back to the Driver. I really liked the clubs sound and I think I would of been better off testing out a lower flighted model (Yes, I did try to adjust the loft. Just didn't feel right). I was really getting some height on the Driver and with the SE Florida winds I was getting little to no carry/roll out. Either way I was a huge fan of the club and thought it was an upgrade from the Epic Speed I tried out the previous season. Not quite as good as the Stealth.

Next on the list was the Ping 425 Max. I personally did not thing in a million years that I would like a ping driver. I have never been a fan of their clubs and ya know what? Shame on me. I saw that this Club won best driver of 2022 on this very website and figured what the Hell lets give it a shot as well. I was not a fan of the acoustic sound that it made when striking the ball but I got over that really fast when I shot a personal best 82. The club had great feel and was long off the Tee Box. Forgiveness was everything and more you could ask for. I found myself in more fairways and consistently longer than my playing partners. Was a real confidence boost knowing that when I pulled that club out of the bag it was going to find the short grass. Testing this club and playing so well with it has made it really difficult to make my final decision on a driver. Hands down was not expecting such great results from the 425 Max. I called it my large Tuna Can but I got over the sound issue really easily. If you are a fan of Ping Drivers and have not given this club an opportunity. I would highly recommend it. 

Mizuno STZ-220: I am a Mizuno irons guy. I don't know for how much longer due to the fact that I cant get the ball in the air and may need to revert back to player improvement irons. Maybe even super game improvement irons. This club I was only able to test out for 3 rounds. I hit the ball well with it just not as long as the TM, Rogue, Ping. Which was a little disappointing and it was not as forgiving as I would of assumed based on the review that I read. Felt great, sounded great, but just didn't really do anything to stand out to me. I was hoping that I would hit it once and it would be a match made in heaven but that just didn't happen. I continued down my path of Left to right Sliced drive after sliced Drive. Don't get me wrong its not the club its 100% me! (*Disclaimer: Always blame the equipment). Just didn't really get a big enough sample size with this driver to give any feed back. I liked the club and am contemplating buying it due to its fair pricing and its a Mizuno. 

Cobra LTDxMax: Still testing this club currently. I would put it in the category right there with the Rogue ST Max LS. Club has some serious pop to it and feels very balanced. I was surprised with how well I hit the club and I really like the design and moveable weights. After the adjustments were made I noticed a real change in ball flight and distance. I am not leaning towards this club simply because I feel that there are better alternatives out there. TM and Ping which I felt more comfortable with, but between this and the Rogue its a hard tie for 3rd. Club has some serious distance when you catch it pure and is easier to control vs the TSi3 and Mizuno. Sending it back tomorrow but still wish I played my Saturday and Sunday round with it just so I could be sure. Still a solid option. 

Last is the STX-220. I have played 2 rounds with this driver. I do not have an update on anything other than the shaft option that it came with was 50g S flex and it feels like orange whip during the swing. Need to see more shots with this club but when hit Pure it has a great sounds and fly's a mile. After 36 Holes with this Club I know that it isn't for me but if I was able to keep the head and get a stiffer shaft to help keep the flight down I think it would be right there with distance vs the Ping and Stealth. I am trying to purchase a driver within the next 2 weeks but am still up in the air on what I want to purchase. 

I would only suggest that you make sure you are getting the best shaft possible (for you) for whatever driver you pick. The correct combination of driver head and shaft is the only way to go.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I would only suggest that you make sure you are getting the best shaft possible (for you) for whatever driver you pick. The correct combination of driver head and shaft is the only way to go.

I was thinking after some time with the new driver and really figuring out my swing. Should I go and get a fitting for an after market shaft that better fits my needs.  I purchased the model with the Aldila 60g shaft. Still haven’t hit it yet. 

4 hours ago, WiTerp50 said:

Interesting trial method. Sounds like you are a 15+ hcp. A little deeper selection and you might have looked at the TSi-2 instead of the -3. The clue would be how well you hit the 425 Max. The Stealth is a good choice (hard for a Titleist guy to say..) but at that price looking at a PXG gen 5 would be comparable. The 0211 is a good value option.  The downside to your method is not optimizing the shaft. I’m sure Miz would agree. 
Remember when PXG was an outrageous price??

The logic behind the TSI3 vs the 2 is that I had purchased a TS2 Driver Last summer second hand with a HZRD 60g shaft. Really didn’t enjoy it so I sold it to my friend for $200 went back to my 915D3. Figured the TSI3 would be something I felt comfortable with. 

Didn’t hit it well during that 2 week period. Handicap has been gradually moving up from a 12 I’m up to a 16 now and only getting higher by the round. Unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I got a Ping G425 LST, it's been a wonderful club.  Long and forgiving, but also gets a lot of roll on our high desert fairways in Utah.  I got the Rouge White shaft and really love it.  Highly recommended. 

It was a tough choice between the TM and the Ping. 

I bought Taylormade Stealth 12* loft head only off eBay brand new, cost delivered to New Zealand $392 plus import duty $62 so total USA dollars $454. That's nearly $700 NZ, I bought head only because I have 5-6 Taylormade shafts already. Shipping is very slow getting out of the USA as it seems to go cross country as you guys only ship international from 3 States lol... adventuring to me soon I hope...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

The Cobra LTDx has been incredible.  I thought I would be in the LS for sure, but the X was low-enough spin (in line with my SIM).  Relative to SIM, the best way to describe it is that there has literally been shots where I've looked away thinking they were gone, only to end up perfectly playable.  Misses go an extra 20-30 yards beyond the same swings with SIM.  I almost feel guilty with some of the swings that I've gotten away with.

Driver: Cobra LTDx @ 8* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo Tour Spec

3w: Taylormade SLDR TS 14* w/ Speeder 757

3hy: Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* w/ KBS Hybrid 

Irons (4-P): ZX5/ZX7 combo w/Modus 120

Wedge: Vokey SM8 50-08F, 54-10S, 58-08M w/ DG S200

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B-XS

On 5/6/2022 at 12:08 PM, Azgolftech said:

Check out the Mizuno ST-Z200 or the Ping G425 LST

you will be pleasantly surprised. Distance and forgiveness

Neither the longest or most forgiving but beats all overall in performance and consistency. 
Both have no charge shaft options to dial your new driver in.

I hit the LST at my fitting and I tried the STZ, currently have the STX which I will send back next week. Just felt comfortable with the Stealth. I really enjoyed the looks and price point of the Mizuno. I play Miz irons and putter. 

On 5/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, Dware said:

Thank you to everyone for the responses and I have finally made my decision on where I will be taking my abysmal driving talents. 

It will be with the Taylormade Stealth. After looking back over my rounds and my FIR%, Acoustic, and Feel. I think that overall it gives me the most confidence and great results in regards to Length and Forgiveness. It was a fun process to give every new Driver in the class of 2022 a test drive. (Every Major Brand) 

Looking back on it I wish I would have kept a journal or started a review channel on YT. I spent $25 on each Demo from Globalgolf great site if anyone else ever wanted to test a club their U-Try program is great. Stumbled upon it a few years back and it has helped me save $$ on not randomly buying clubs or going for fittings. In total I spent $175 on all of my testing and got a great understanding of what I enjoyed and what I didn't. Currently shooting in the mid to high 90's. Lets see if I can get back to mid 80's this summer. 

The try it for $25 program sounds pretty cool. Particularly if you have or have access too a higher end LM. This also explains why I see so many eBay listings from Global Golf 🙂. The $175 is about what you'd have spent at a driver fitting but that comes with the expertise of someone helping with shaft selections.  On the other hand, being able to put candidates into play on the course is of value. I'm currently in a "3 Wood Hunting" mode and will check this out.  I'm curious to know what would have been your second choice to the Stealth?  Have fun with the new boomer 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/8/2022 at 9:31 AM, fixyurdivot said:

The try it for $25 program sounds pretty cool. Particularly if you have or have access too a higher end LM. This also explains why I see so many eBay listings from Global Golf 🙂. The $175 is about what you'd have spent at a driver fitting but that comes with the expertise of someone helping with shaft selections.  On the other hand, being able to put candidates into play on the course is of value. I'm currently in a "3 Wood Hunting" mode and will check this out.  I'm curious to know what would have been your second choice to the Stealth?  Have fun with the new boomer 👍.

I wish you the best of luck with the 3W hunt. I will need one of those soon so let me know what you find. As for the shaft combinations I was able to get fit with shaft options but unfortunately didn’t swing well that day I don’t think I hit center of the club face 1 time. I was told for lower ball flight and spin I would need something 70grams or more in weight. My second choice would of probably been the Ping 425 Max. That driver absolutely crushed the ball and found a ton of fair ways. I wish I gave the STZ-220 more time but I have played 1 round with the Stealth so far and hit it great. Happy with the purchase. 

On 5/9/2022 at 1:31 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Yeah I bought my 12*stealth head from global golf cost $392 USA , didn’t see any $175 listed or is that just for locals?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

2 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Yeah I bought my 12*stealth head from global golf cost $392 USA , didn’t see any $175 listed or is that just for locals?

I was referring to what you would have paid for a driver/fw's fitting.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I was referring to what you would have paid for a driver/fw's fitting.

Oh sorry didn't see that, I'm going for a fitting soon at a Golf course because there a Titleist agent and I want my T200 Irons checked for loft and lie.