Jump to content

Life in the B-Flight (Not quite the middle of the pack)


Recommended Posts

Here we go again Spy-verse. Getting ready to start another season on The Tampa Tour. If you followed along last season, I made the jump from the Middle of the Pack to a 2nd place overall finish. Hence, I've changed the title for the thread this year.

To give a rundown of the league setup. It's a full handicap stroke play league, with each event divided into A/B flights, split at the median of that event's players' handicaps. Even though I managed to trend my number down to 11-12, the league added yet a couple more low single digit players, so chances are I'll be playing B-Flight again at most events. We are playing a 14 event schedule this year, and there are two standings brackets. The Overall standings count all events played and factor into qualifying/selections for the end of season Team Cup event. The other standings are the 'Top 6', which apply each players best 6 finishes to qualify for the League Invitational tournament. That event includes the Top 20 players from the Top 6 leaderboard and determines the league champion for the season.

My goal this year is again to qualify for both post season events. I almost couldn't ask to finish better than I did last season. I was fortunate that I played pretty steady all year, and had only three 'bad' rounds out of 14. I managed to win the Invitational event with a net 70, which was similar to my regular season wins. All I really did was play on my number most weeks, and a few times that was all it took to win. So this year, I'm just trying to keep up the consistent play, play relaxed and enjoy being out playing golf with the bros. I am starting out at a bit behind the curve because a family event kept me out of the season opener.

I've included the link to last year's thread. The event schedule is posted in Florida League Course Reviews 2022 Season. Hope you all follow along and send good vibes.

 

 

  • Like 4

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the season started this weekend at Southern Dunes. A fantastic track in Haines City FL (review pending). Let's just say, near Tour-like conditions for now, especially the greens.

I tried not to have expectations going into the round, but after finishing last season near the top. I also had a couple of swing feel/thought keys hit during practice this week, and on the range warming up so I was feeling pretty confident with my swing getting started. Even with that, I still had some jitters over the first two or three holes, but that finally settled out as we got going.

I had one of the best driving rounds I can remember. Dunes is pretty forgiving off the tees, but even with that I was 10/14 in the short grass, and 12/14 FIR by my close enough to count grading 😲. From there though, I was only able to manage 5 GIR for the round ☹️. I will take that stat with a grain of salt considering our round was played on Master's Sunday and they had pins placed in some really tight and challenging spots. I know, I know, at a 12 hcp I shouldn't be targeting pins, but that only really cost me on one hole this round. Southern Dunes has a good mix of large vs small greens, but they all have A LOT of slope and undulation. Some of the greens are designed to trick your eyes on the slope. And for this round they were rolling at between 11 and 12 on the stimp. That makes getting up and down a challenge, and 3 putting a real possibility if you get yourself on the wrong portion of the green.

Even with the jitters on the first few holes, I had an early run of pars with a couple of good up and downs and made the turn at +5. The back nine was going well enough, just wasn't quite sharp enough on the approaches to make as many pars. But, I was still staying away from the big numbers on the scorecard. I was at +5 through 15, then turned in my only big number of the day. Remember when we said I shouldn't be targeting pins? That needs to apply even when at perfect yardage for a 3/4 sand wedge. There I was at my perfect number for that shot and I chose to go after the pin tucked into the back corner of a green protected by a steep faced bunker. Yup, carry was about 2 yards shy of perfect, and gave me a half sunken lie right in the middle of that bunker's steep face. Attempt 1 failed and rolled back into the bunker a little further down the face. Attempt 2 landed on the top, but dropped back in and rolled to the bottom of the bunker this time. Attempt 3 was bloody brilliant (soft hands in the bunker dummy!) and I thought I was going to escape with only a double. Then the 3 footer rolled over the edge 🤬. I thought I took a deep enough breath to get over that, but pull hooked my approach on 17 and left myself on the wrong side of the slope for a 30 yard pitch shot. I thought I hit it perfect, but it landed on the fringe and rolled all the way down/across the green and into another bunker. I got out of that one well enough to two putt for 6. Then there was a 🤬-worthy 3-putt on 18 after my approach nearly rolled into the hole, but a subtle break and a frustrating lip-out meant 41 -48 for 89 and a net 76.

That was good enough to be top 15 for the day so a decent showing for my first round of the season. I'll work a little more on sharpening up the iron play this week before we play again on Saturday. If I can play as well tee to green at Juliette Falls, I think I'll be in good shape.

Cheers all, hope you enjoy following along.

  • Like 7

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So my 2nd event is in the books. And it was a very frustrating round. At least it was at a great course - Juliette Falls in Dunellon FL.

I was a little off warming up, and couldn't really get a feel for the driver swing. That unfortunately carried over onto the golf course. The front 9 especially, wildness with the driver netted me two penalty strokes and had me playing recovery golf for most of the first 9. So, even starting with two pars, I posted 52 for the front 🤮. At least I made up for the wild tee shots by not putting very well.

I rallied a little bit, and was able to at least get away with the driver misses on the back 9. I made it around the back with nothing worse than bogey. I never really did dial in the feel of the greens though, and it seemed like I couldn't get a putt to fall even if I asked nicely. 

It wasn't all terrible. I just wasn't able to capitalize when I did hit good shots. With my bad tee shots I was scrambling for bogeys. And I made awful shots following up my good tee shots. I had approach shots for GIR from 110, 90, and 60 yards that all turned into double bogey or worse results. It was just that kind of a day.

I know it's still early in the season, but at 3 events in I've got point totals of 0, 1, and 26. I'm going to need to put up a lot more scores like that 3rd one the rest of the way if I'm going to qualify for post season play. The next event is a Major so it is worth more standings points. The challenge for me at this point is to remember to relax and have fun, not step up to the first tee each week telling myself I need to shoot 80.

  • Like 4

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the first of three 'Major' tournaments coming up next week, I asked my coach for a tune-up lesson earlier this week.

That went okay, but you can never discount what a second set of eyes might see. The 'deputy' coach watched me hit a couple and made a tiny little tweak to my grip and BAM! Things were going much better.

I took that out on the course yesterday, and on a windy day I managed a front-9 40 which included 3 penalty strokes. One for an OB, and another for a hazard. I only played 5 holes of the back-9 with all bogeys. I had a couple of bigger misses on those holes, but got things back in line on my last hole of the practice round. 

I've got another week to dial this swing change in. But so far, I'm encouraged, and looking forward to the next one.

  • Like 4

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So I didn't fare well in the first major last week. I played decent enough from tee to green, but my putting totally let me down. It got in my head early, and I never really found the feel of the greens. 41 putts later, I was in the lower 1/3 of the pack for the day. I did earn some points, but I left a lot of shots and points out there on the greens.

About to head out for this week's event. Felling a little better after a practice round yesterday. I just need to remember to relax and have fun, but at this point I know I'm going to need a couple of really good finishes to make up for poor rounds early in the season. I also expect to have to miss at least one more event so that will be another zero in the points to overcome.

  • Like 2

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude! Just found this thread - super digging what you're doing here; not just the league play (super jealous), but the write-ups as well. 

Awesome stuff, and I'll be following along!!

  • Like 2

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g (two grams lead tape in heel)
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a little bit of a break in the action so just wanted to chime in with an update.

I needed to skip this past weekend's league event for family events. We had a double graduation day where Kiddo1 graduated from college, and Kiddo2 from high school, and of course they were on the same day. 😲 Fortunately we didn't have to choose a favorite or divide and conquer, the timing of the two ceremonies allowed everyone to attend both. Although, that was a mad scramble to make it all happen.

We also have the holiday weekend coming up, so there's no league event scheduled. 

I'll be honest. Mentally, I think I needed the break. I try not to focus on the competitive nature of being in the league, and try to emphasize the social side of being out there playing golf with friends. It's harder than you think, and usually only lasts until the first double-bogey+ hits the scorecard. Words of the day "Relax, and have fun". I need to get that imprinted on a dozen balls I think.

The next league round is going to be at Orange County National in Orlando. A great track that we've played before. That will be followed up by our annual 2-man event. Look for the course reviews in that thread.

Having missed two event and posted two bad rounds already is going to make qualifying for the post season events a challenge. If I can remember to Relax and Have Fun, maybe I can make something happen.

Stay tuned.

  • Like 2

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GregB135 said:

. Words of the day "Relax, and have fun". I need to get that imprinted on a dozen balls I think.

Congrats on the 2x graduates!! We'll be (theoretically, anyway) dealing with a similar thing in about 16 years, so... Not sure "looking forward to," is the right phrase, but... 😜

I love your ball-imprint idea. I mean, it works on so many levels. Not only does it help you mid-round, but THINK of how much it'll mean to some random golfer when they happen upon it in the woods (after you've given up on finding it, and have naturally pulled another from your bag, reminding yourself in the process to Relax & Have Fun) - it will be like a sign from the Golf God (Geoff, for what it's worth. His name is Geoff), literally telling him to Relax & Have Fun. 

I think there's a business model here. "It's a Game: Enjoy It," "Enjoy the Walk," "Smile, You're Being Recorded" - I mean, the possibilities are endless. "I Saw What You Did On 7th Fairway", etc. 

Psychological Warfare via golfball. 

PsyOps Golf: if you're going to lose your ball, help someone else lose their mind. 

(I realize this went off the rails, but I can't help laughing at some poor guy (me) traipsing through the woods and thinking "ah HA!" and then reading the message on the ball and freaking out - I would legit watch this "hidden camera" show, for real. 

Good luck on the next event - once you find your groove, I'm sure you'll post some awesome scores. 

  • Like 2

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g (two grams lead tape in heel)
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GregB135 said:

I've had a little bit of a break in the action so just wanted to chime in with an update.

I needed to skip this past weekend's league event for family events. We had a double graduation day where Kiddo1 graduated from college, and Kiddo2 from high school, and of course they were on the same day. 😲 Fortunately we didn't have to choose a favorite or divide and conquer, the timing of the two ceremonies allowed everyone to attend both. Although, that was a mad scramble to make it all happen.

We also have the holiday weekend coming up, so there's no league event scheduled. 

I'll be honest. Mentally, I think I needed the break. I try not to focus on the competitive nature of being in the league, and try to emphasize the social side of being out there playing golf with friends. It's harder than you think, and usually only lasts until the first double-bogey+ hits the scorecard. Words of the day "Relax, and have fun". I need to get that imprinted on a dozen balls I think.

The next league round is going to be at Orange County National in Orlando. A great track that we've played before. That will be followed up by our annual 2-man event. Look for the course reviews in that thread.

Having missed two event and posted two bad rounds already is going to make qualifying for the post season events a challenge. If I can remember to Relax and Have Fun, maybe I can make something happen.

Stay tuned.

Congrats on the graduates! iGood luck the rest of the season!

 

MDGolfHacker

  • Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Stars

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The last couple of league rounds were kind of 'meh'...

88 two weeks in a row for. One of those earned a top-10 finish for the week. The other one was a frustrating, lower middle.

The top-10 round was in the wind with a little bit of rain as the 'Potential Tropical Depression' (almost tropical storm for non-Floridians) passed by just south of the course. I didn't do anything really spectacular, just struggled a bit less than most. I guess four years living in North Dakota where 10-15 mph winds were the norm payed of with learning how to punch the ball low into the wind. I also made two birdies for skins and had one par-3 CTP. Okay, the CTP was almost spectacular.. 😜

This week's round was a really frustrating 88. Wet conditions all around after heavy rain before our start time, with the threat of more looming all day. 5, yes FIVE, GIR on the first nine.... and four three-putt greens later I can only manage 44. Greens were still recovering from aeration, but I just didn't get the feel for speed on the front 9. Honest self assessment, I was a little too aggressive with some first putts, and I was leaving myself 6 feet for second putts, and those weren't going in. In truth, all day I only felt like I hit one 'bad' putt, which for me means I missed both line and speed. The second nine was equally frustrating, because even with 5 pars, I couldn't manage better than 44. One misplayed fairway bunker shot, and two penalties (one tee ball missed left, one hybrid approach missed right) overcame recovering with the putter with one 3-putt coming on the last hole where my first putt was 30+ feet above the hole and I just hit it a bit too hard and the ball rolled by to about 6 feet again. 

The other thing about the second round was something the committee did to us during the round. Our site was a private club with three rotating nine hole layouts. One was closed for aeration, and the heavy rain prior to our start closed down another. So, at our tee time, we were told to play the same 9 holes twice, and they adjusted us to a shotgun start. We finished 9 holes, and had played two holes of our second nine, when one of the committee members calls and says - the other 9 holes has been opened, stop where you are and make the turn to the other nine, and any holes you played on the other second nine are discarded. I was the only one in my group where that made a real negative impact, as I had made a par and a birdie on those two holes. Other groups had played one or two holes on their second nine as well, so we weren't alone. What would your reaction be to this situation? I was a little mad about it, and it took me a couple of holes to shake it off.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GregB135 said:

What would your reaction be to this situation? I was a little mad about it, and it took me a couple of holes to shake it off.

This feels like an undue penalty on you. I'm surprised they didn't give you the option of taking the better score of the two holes, although maybe that would have also been unfair to the players behind you, but... That's a bummer of a ruling. 

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g (two grams lead tape in heel)
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GregB135 said:

The last couple of league rounds were kind of 'meh'...

88 two weeks in a row for. One of those earned a top-10 finish for the week. The other one was a frustrating, lower middle.

The top-10 round was in the wind with a little bit of rain as the 'Potential Tropical Depression' (almost tropical storm for non-Floridians) passed by just south of the course. I didn't do anything really spectacular, just struggled a bit less than most. I guess four years living in North Dakota where 10-15 mph winds were the norm payed of with learning how to punch the ball low into the wind. I also made two birdies for skins and had one par-3 CTP. Okay, the CTP was almost spectacular.. 😜

This week's round was a really frustrating 88. Wet conditions all around after heavy rain before our start time, with the threat of more looming all day. 5, yes FIVE, GIR on the first nine.... and four three-putt greens later I can only manage 44. Greens were still recovering from aeration, but I just didn't get the feel for speed on the front 9. Honest self assessment, I was a little too aggressive with some first putts, and I was leaving myself 6 feet for second putts, and those weren't going in. In truth, all day I only felt like I hit one 'bad' putt, which for me means I missed both line and speed. The second nine was equally frustrating, because even with 5 pars, I couldn't manage better than 44. One misplayed fairway bunker shot, and two penalties (one tee ball missed left, one hybrid approach missed right) overcame recovering with the putter with one 3-putt coming on the last hole where my first putt was 30+ feet above the hole and I just hit it a bit too hard and the ball rolled by to about 6 feet again. 

The other thing about the second round was something the committee did to us during the round. Our site was a private club with three rotating nine hole layouts. One was closed for aeration, and the heavy rain prior to our start closed down another. So, at our tee time, we were told to play the same 9 holes twice, and they adjusted us to a shotgun start. We finished 9 holes, and had played two holes of our second nine, when one of the committee members calls and says - the other 9 holes has been opened, stop where you are and make the turn to the other nine, and any holes you played on the other second nine are discarded. I was the only one in my group where that made a real negative impact, as I had made a par and a birdie on those two holes. Other groups had played one or two holes on their second nine as well, so we weren't alone. What would your reaction be to this situation? I was a little mad about it, and it took me a couple of holes to shake it off.

So, where in North Dakota? My wife grew up in New Salem, just west of Bismarck.  It’s the home is Salem Sue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.pngPXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.pngPXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*/54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts 

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

July is  a busy month for the league. The committe wound up making some changes to the schedule, and we had a couple of venue changes. We had this week's event at Eaglebrooke, we have our two-day major at Bay Hill, then due to some good committee work we will go to Southern Hills Plantation to finish out July. It's a run of tough courses.

One of those was for our 2-man event, that switched to Eastlake Woodlands. It was a Chapman format - Each player tees off. Each player plays a second shot from their partner's tee shot. From that point the hole is finished as scramble. Par 3s played as scramble. It was a really fun format. My partner and I ham-and-egged very well, and we were lucky that we never both had a bad miss off the same tee. We also had at least one GIR on 16 holes. After a birdie on the first though, we never quite got the perfect feel for the greens. I tend to be a die-at-the hole putter, and he putts with a bit more pace. We had a bunch of greens where I missed just low, and he missed just high. Four greens for certain putts tracking hole center stopped just short. End of the day we had a gross 72 for net 64 and a third place finish. That moved me up a few spots on the leaderboards.

We took a break for July 4th (Yay 'Merica) 🇺🇸 🎆 Then this week at Eaglebrooke. I had a good lesson and some good practice sessions, so I went into the week feeling pretty confident. Eaglebrooke is a great track in Lakeland that we have played before. Some very challenging holes and a fun layout. Even though I felt like I only had a few bad misses in the round, those misses were all VERY costly. A mosltly consistent front nine got me 44. Just not making putts and I had one penalty induced double bogey. Two blow up holes after bad misses and penalties derailed my back 9, even though the other seven holes on the back were pretty good. The 44-49: 93 wasn't enough though and I had a bottom third finish on the day. Not was I was hoping for, but I didn't leave the round feeling terrible about it. A little frustrated witht he number of penalty strokes in the round, but that's life in the B-flight.

  • Like 3

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2022 at 5:44 AM, GregB135 said:

July is  a busy month for the league. The committe wound up making some changes to the schedule, and we had a couple of venue changes. We had this week's event at Eaglebrooke, we have our two-day major at Bay Hill, then due to some good committee work we will go to Southern Hills Plantation to finish out July. It's a run of tough courses.

One of those was for our 2-man event, that switched to Eastlake Woodlands. It was a Chapman format - Each player tees off. Each player plays a second shot from their partner's tee shot. From that point the hole is finished as scramble. Par 3s played as scramble. It was a really fun format. My partner and I ham-and-egged very well, and we were lucky that we never both had a bad miss off the same tee. We also had at least one GIR on 16 holes. After a birdie on the first though, we never quite got the perfect feel for the greens. I tend to be a die-at-the hole putter, and he putts with a bit more pace. We had a bunch of greens where I missed just low, and he missed just high. Four greens for certain putts tracking hole center stopped just short. End of the day we had a gross 72 for net 64 and a third place finish. That moved me up a few spots on the leaderboards.

We took a break for July 4th (Yay 'Merica) 🇺🇸 🎆 Then this week at Eaglebrooke. I had a good lesson and some good practice sessions, so I went into the week feeling pretty confident. Eaglebrooke is a great track in Lakeland that we have played before. Some very challenging holes and a fun layout. Even though I felt like I only had a few bad misses in the round, those misses were all VERY costly. A mosltly consistent front nine got me 44. Just not making putts and I had one penalty induced double bogey. Two blow up holes after bad misses and penalties derailed my back 9, even though the other seven holes on the back were pretty good. The 44-49: 93 wasn't enough though and I had a bottom third finish on the day. Not was I was hoping for, but I didn't leave the round feeling terrible about it. A little frustrated witht he number of penalty strokes in the round, but that's life in the B-flight.

I'm so insanely jealous that there's a league like this where you live - love all the different formats and opportunities to play.  Keep up the updates - love them!

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g (two grams lead tape in heel)
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, fozcycle said:

So, where in North Dakota? My wife grew up in New Salem, just west of Bismarck.  It’s the home is Salem Sue.

Four years (four winters according to SWMBO) at Grand Forks AFB. Still refer to North Dakota as 'the only state with a middle name'.

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SO, the two-day event was last weekend at Bay Hill. We had a great time, but golf-wise for me, it was a whole weekend of, meh.

Saturday's round was okay, but it took me a while to get going. Blew up on the 6th hole with two penalty balls off the tee. From there, every time I got something going, I'd throw in a penalty stroke (5 total of those during the round). Then I got on a run early in the back nine, played my best tee-to-green hole of the day, and with a 7 foot birdie putt on the 15th green, the thunderstorms hit and we had to leave the course. (Bay HIll takes that seriously and sends rangers out to retrieve everyone).

Sunday wasn't much better. I never really got the swing back in the same groove, though I did birdie the first hole (our tenth). Another round with 5 penalties, and another double penalty day on the 6th meant I wasn't destined for great things for the weekend. We did go back and complete the Saturday round after finishing in the morning. Replaying the 15th to bogey made me reconsider not finishing the hole in the downpour on Saturday when we had the chance. Totals for the weekend 91 and 95. Not great scores, but apparently I wasn't the only one to struggle, as that finished me middle of the pack (T11 of 38).

  • Like 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the 2-day, and some frustrating practice, I went to the swing coach. He put me through a nice little sequencing drill to get my hip turn, shoulder turn synched up, and it was like taking the red pill. We finished the lesson session, and there was time to play som sim golf. I chose the Innisbrook Copperhead course since it is simlar to the course we would play next. Staying focused on the drill work, I went around 18 holes at a net -1. Things felt dialed in on the second nine, so I queued the course up again, and made it around the front nine at net -4. And I left feeling really comfortable with the change, and confident for Saturday.

Saturday at Southern Hills Plantation was the great round that could have been. I played 12 holes of really great golf. Made the turn at 40, and parred the first two holes on the back nine. Sometimes it's funny (not really) how one shot can affect a round. I hit a perfect tee shot off the par 5 13th. Then hit a good layup just off the fairway at about 110 yards. I thought I made a decent swing, but didn't really commit to the new move... AAAND.. shanked my wedge across the fariway and gave myself an awkward stance at the edge of a bunker. Put what felt like a good 75 yard swing, on a 78 yard shot but pulled it a little, it carried a little long, hit the back slope of the green and bounced into a penalty area. Chip and two putts, and I had my big number for the day, a triple bogey. That got in my head and had me rattled for the next two holes and I had another two big misses. Throw in one bad luck bounce, and one bunker with extra firm sand, and I had a string of double bogeys on the back nine to card 87 for another middle of the pack finish.

Lots of positives to take from this round though. 10/14 fairways with both driver and 3 wood and only 1 big tee shot miss. A bunch of quality iron shots - one for a par 3 CTP and another two or three really good birdie looks (none converted sadly) It was really difficult to get back in the groove after that run, but at least I got a big order of simple reminders from Vice (we discussed this earlier)

ball.jpg.9f9a49b72fcfd9f0a9e4edf27a057a45.jpg

  • Like 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...