TESTERS WANTED! ×

Evenflow riptide anyone?

therod

I have several posts about my new driver and me shopping for a shaft. I'm probably going to take my Tensei white AV out for a few laps before I make my final decision. But because I am always looking...has anyone tried the Evenflow Riptide? The standard black is probably what I would try, but I have read a few reviews claiming the shaft played very soft to flex. That surprises me considering we're talking about a company that has been making shafts for decades, and especially when we're talking about the same company making the HZRDUS line. For that matter, I have also thought about trying the Smoke IM10 mid. Decisions, decisions...

46 minutes ago, therod said:

but I have read a few reviews claiming the shaft played very soft to flex. That surprises me considering we're talking about a company that has been making shafts for decades, and especially when we're talking about the same company making the HZRDUS line

You have to see what they are comparing it to. With no standard for flex any talk of it outside of the same shaft line in the same weight class doesn’t really mean much. If they are comparing to hzrdus line then yeah or could be soft to flex for alot of people. So context isn’t important.

The hzrdus line in it initial version was designed purely for performance and PX  didn’t consider feel in the design at all. When they designed the even flow like they still wanted to design for performance but also took into consideration feel. So it’s not a surprise someone would say that some evenflow shafts might feel soft to flex.

As for the riptide shaft itself it is a good shaft and in the few times I hit it, it seems to be a lighter softer version of the even flow blue.

Here are EI profile charts for both the riptide and blue. The black is similar to the blue with a stiffer tip.

If you are more of a fit for the evenflow black the riptide is going to be a bad fit.

965967A1-19FA-4B09-A2AA-471DA0DEDB50.jpeg

3894251F-C3C4-4EEB-A451-97ADE25AB0B4.jpeg

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When I demoed my TSI3, I hit a few balls with a standard black HZRDUS 6.0, and all I could hit were bananas. I also didn't really care for the feel of it. The Tensei white felt much better, and I wasn't hitting bananas. But I've always wanted to try an Evenflow, the Riptide might be an option, and I'm curious about the Smoke IM10 as well. We'll see. I'll probably get 1 shaft to play around with in the next month or so, and we'll see how it plays compared to the Tensei white. I also had a lower trajectory that I like with the Tensei. I know it's a high bend point shaft, and because I'm short, I also have a flat swing plane, so that doesn't help. But I would like to get a little more air under my tee balls. We'll see.

27 minutes ago, therod said:

When I demoed my TSI3, I hit a few balls with a standard black HZRDUS 6.0, and all I could hit were bananas. I also didn't really care for the feel of it. The Tensei white felt much better, and I wasn't hitting bananas. But I've always wanted to try an Evenflow, the Riptide might be an option, and I'm curious about the Smoke IM10 as well. We'll see. I'll probably get 1 shaft to play around with in the next month or so, and we'll see how it plays compared to the Tensei white. I also had a lower trajectory that I like with the Tensei. I know it's a high bend point shaft, and because I'm short, I also have a flat swing plane, so that doesn't help. But I would like to get a little more air under my tee balls. We'll see.

Not surprised that you were hitting slices with the hzrdus black and that it felt terrible. Pros had issues turning the black over. It’s a very boardy shaft with heft in then mid section.

The white assuming it’s the av raw white has a soft tip for a low low profile shaft.

If it’s the pro white it is built with a higher torque so feel is going to be a lot better in that compared to hzrdus.

I haven’t hit the im10 but for maybe 5 swings while warming up so have no thoughts on it. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Yes it's the raw white in my TSI3.  It felt good at the demo, and I was getting great #s on the launch monitor. I would just like a little higher trajectory, that's all. You have to give up something to get something, I would just like to see what a slightly higher ball flight would result in. To add to that, I bought some extra weights to play with, so maybe adding a little weight will help as well. We'll see.

Edited by therod
added info

37 minutes ago, therod said:

Yes it's the raw white in my TSI3.  It felt good at the demo, and I was getting great #s on the launch monitor. I would just like a little higher trajectory, that's all. You have to give up something to get something, I would just like to see what a slightly higher ball flight would result in. To add to that, I bought some extra weights to play with, so maybe adding a little weight will help as well. We'll see.

The raw blue would probably be a good option

Just for clarification...due to the way I load the shaft, and specifically my transition at the top of my backswing and how hard I pull down before I start my downswing, I'm probably a better fit for the Evenflow black than I am the blue. I have even considered a white Evenflow. I have also considered an original red HZRDUS. I just like hitting a higher ball vs a lower flighted ball. But a low bend point shaft to get the higher flight is also what makes me fight a hook. I haven't hit any of the Evenflow shafts. Without hitting them, my thoughts are the black would be a better and more consistent fit but the blue would be a more pleasing ball flight for me. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, therod said:

Just for clarification...due to the way I load the shaft, and specifically my transition at the top of my backswing and how hard I pull down before I start my downswing, I'm probably a better fit for the Evenflow black than I am the blue. I have even considered a white Evenflow. I have also considered an original red HZRDUS. I just like hitting a higher ball vs a lower flighted ball. But a low bend point shaft to get the higher flight is also what makes me fight a hook. I haven't hit any of the Evenflow shafts. Without hitting them, my thoughts are the black would be a better and more consistent fit but the blue would be a more pleasing ball flight for me. Just my opinion.

As mentioned the evenflow black is a stiffer tipped blue. Similar EI profile. Which is why if the black is your better fit the riptide is probably going to be a bad fit.

The hzrdus red is the same as the hzrdus black but with a softer tip. The pros were having trouble turning the ball over with the hzrdus black so PX softened the tip and called it red. To me the feel exactly the same and the ball flight was the same for me. I didn’t see higher launch or peak height with the red. 

The hzrdus yellow, smoke yellow (replacement for the original yellow) smoke blue(replacement for the smoke yellow), smoke green are all potential options.

As is the tensei av blue. Keeps you in similar style shaft but slightly “softer” to help with ball flight 

Ok thanks. If the ball flight doesn't change going from the HZRDUS black to the red for you, I'm probably not going to gain much myself either. I haven't hit any of the Evenflow shafts. I've always wanted to try one. And because of my transition at the top, I'm just guessing that the black would fit me better than the blue, but like I said, I haven't hit either so I can't be sure. The latest shafts I've used were the Wave, the black ProLaunch that Golfworks did with Grafalloy, and the ProLaunch blue. I've preferred to hit the ball a little higher but that runs the risk of me hitting some hooks. I've decided this season that I'm going to try going to a lower launching shaft to see if it helps my accuracy and scoring at a potential loss of distance. And maybe I hit the ball far enough that I wouldn't loss any yardage, I'll have to see. Having a new TSI3 also changes the game a little bit, so there's alot going on.

48 minutes ago, therod said:

Ok thanks. If the ball flight doesn't change going from the HZRDUS black to the red for you, I'm probably not going to gain much myself either. I haven't hit any of the Evenflow shafts. I've always wanted to try one. And because of my transition at the top, I'm just guessing that the black would fit me better than the blue, but like I said, I haven't hit either so I can't be sure. The latest shafts I've used were the Wave, the black ProLaunch that Golfworks did with Grafalloy, and the ProLaunch blue. I've preferred to hit the ball a little higher but that runs the risk of me hitting some hooks. I've decided this season that I'm going to try going to a lower launching shaft to see if it helps my accuracy and scoring at a potential loss of distance. And maybe I hit the ball far enough that I wouldn't loss any yardage, I'll have to see. Having a new TSI3 also changes the game a little bit, so there's alot going on.

The smoke black rdx could be an option. It’s a better feeling and slightly softer version of the smoke black which was a slightly softer version of the original black.

The evenflow shafts are nice shafts. I was lucky enough to test the blue before it hit the market. As someone who has the tendency to pull on the shaft it worked well and I had good ball flight and performance, my only complaint with the blue was I could feel the stiffness of the handle when i yanked on it and it would cause me to want to overswing. Some of the other guys I was with liked the blue but wanted a stiffer tip or a different feel. Another liked it as is. 

PX did a good job of designing the evenflow shafts based on feedback from golfers. 

My hunch is, without ever hitting any Evenflow shafts, is that the black would be a better fit than the blue. But I would be very tempted to try the blue first. I've been playing low bend, high launching shafts for years, knowing a big hook could just be moments away. Like I said, I would probably even be more tempted to try the blue before the black. I would probably prefer the feel of the blue over the black, and if there was any difference in trajectory, I would choose whichever shaft gave the higher flight, which I would guess would be the blue. I'm only about 5' 6", so I have shorter arms and legs, and I still play a 44" driver because that's what I'm comfortable with and like. So the short arms and legs is why I generally go to a higher launching shaft. My trajectory tends to be a little flatter. And I hit the driver 270-280. It's a low trajectory and it's a low spinner. I don't have spin numbers, but I know everything I hit is a lower spinning ball. I've never backed up a wedge in my life. They check quick enough, but I will never spin it back.

9 minutes ago, therod said:

My hunch is, without ever hitting any Evenflow shafts, is that the black would be a better fit than the blue. But I would be very tempted to try the blue first. I've been playing low bend, high launching shafts for years, knowing a big hook could just be moments away. Like I said, I would probably even be more tempted to try the blue before the black. I would probably prefer the feel of the blue over the black, and if there was any difference in trajectory, I would choose whichever shaft gave the higher flight, which I would guess would be the blue. I'm only about 5' 6", so I have shorter arms and legs, and I still play a 44" driver because that's what I'm comfortable with and like. So the short arms and legs is why I generally go to a higher launching shaft. My trajectory tends to be a little flatter. And I hit the driver 270-280. It's a low trajectory and it's a low spinner. I don't have spin numbers, but I know everything I hit is a lower spinning ball. I've never backed up a wedge in my life. They check quick enough, but I will never spin it back.

... We are all different and so are our swings but the EF Black is a pretty unique shaft imo. Yes, it launches a little lower with a little less spin than the Blue but not a big difference. For me at least the Black is just a stronger, stouter shaft compared to the Blue. The Black is surprisingly smooth feeling while the Blue is very smooth feeling. I found I was swinging harder than normal with the Black and it lead to some bad drives. The Blue matches my tempo better but I liked the flight and spin with the Black. Both are excellent shafts and the smoother your transition the more you would probably like the Blue while the more aggressive or those with a fast/strong swing would probably prefer the Black. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 4/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, therod said:

I have several posts about my new driver and me shopping for a shaft. I'm probably going to take my Tensei white AV out for a few laps before I make my final decision. But because I am always looking...has anyone tried the Evenflow Riptide? The standard black is probably what I would try, but I have read a few reviews claiming the shaft played very soft to flex. That surprises me considering we're talking about a company that has been making shafts for decades, and especially when we're talking about the same company making the HZRDUS line. For that matter, I have also thought about trying the Smoke IM10 mid. Decisions, decisions...

I have the riptide blue, which is regular flex, in my PXG 0211.  I had been gaming the tense ck blue in other drivers and really liked how it performed but the Riptide is a smooth shaft all thru the swing.  It took a couple rounds to get used to not having a “lag” but it really is smooth.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, therod said:

I would also be very tempted to try a Lin-Q. I would try either version, but would probably be better suited for the gunmetal. There are definately alot of options out there.

Lin-q gunmetal is a very stable driver and the new m40 versions i hear are a really good and have some success on tour already.

Yeah there are lots of options out there and for some the ei profiles are close. It’s what makes blind buying tough if one’s looking for a gamer shaft and not just tinkering to see what the latest and greatest shafts do. Also why good fittings can get the person setup for success and give them an idea of what types of shafts work or don’t work.

The fitting video i posted the other day of Ian from TXG is a good example of how shafts influence the swing dynamics and how that influences the ball flight characteristics 

Have not tried them.  Personally, huge fan of Fujikura Speeder shafts.  Currently have the Fujikura Speeder 661 tour rated stiff on my TSi3 driver.  At 75 it really helps me get the ball where I want it and way past guys my age with accuracy.  One of the guys in my senior league, asked me yesterday how I hit the ball so far and outdrive him when he is nine years younger than me.  Told him it is in the equipment.  He has been playing most of his life and I took up the game in 1984.  All the guys in the foursome I play with are much younger than I am and cannot come near that club.  I can keep up with most of them with my 16.5 fairway, which also has a Fujikura Speeder shaft.  My teaching pro turned me on to these shafts.  Tried them at a fitting and the rest is history.       

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

So back to the original topic of this thread. It was said earlier based on what I said, that I wouldn't be a good fit for the Riptide. I thought it was supposed to be a more stable shaft. So I'm curious why it might not be a good fit for me? And why an original Evenflow might be better? Is it just a better shaft?

10 hours ago, therod said:

So back to the original topic of this thread. It was said earlier based on what I said, that I wouldn't be a good fit for the Riptide. I thought it was supposed to be a more stable shaft. So I'm curious why it might not be a good fit for me? And why an original Evenflow might be better?

10 hours ago, therod said:

Is it just a better shaft?

Is it just a better shaft?

All shafts are stable. When most people say that about a shaft it means it holds up to their swing or that they feel like they can control the shot. Some shaft designs can feel loose to people because it’s a bad fit either from weight, profile, combo of that. This would indicate that particular shaft for them isn’t stable, but that’s only for their swing doesn’t mean it won’t be stable for them because the ball will probably go where they want sometimes and not other times.

Let’s compare evenflow riptide (not talking the CB, MX or LX versions) and the evenflow black which is what you say you think would be a good fit.

The riptide is 6 grams lighter uncut and has is .7* more torque. That much change in torque is going to feel different for most people. The riptide is a lighter softer shaft compared to the blue. Thats potentially a bad fit for a stronger or higher swing speed player that fits into the tensei white or even black, potentially blue (riptide is going to be lighter and softer than the blue, not as much as the black). 

Whether the riptide would work for your swing or not only you hitting it will determine that, but on paper it’s not the ideal shaft. If we look at the riptide and the tensei av raw white it’s a full degree softer (I say this even though it’s likely that Mitsubishi and PX measure torque differently and with different machines), but that’s still pretty significant amount. 

All shafts are good shafts and one isn’t better than another. One is only better for a golfer if it fits their swing and the  other doesn’t. Here’s the video I referred to about the driver fitting for Ian from TXG. He has aftermarket shafts, all good shafts but you can see that not all work for his swing. You can also see how they affect his delivery.

You are looking for a shaft to replace the one you were fit to. This isn’t an easy task doing blindly because of the numerous options and the various designs between each of them. It can also be expensive if you end up buying shafts that don’t work and have to keep trying different ones.

This is what fittings help us with. We get to see what works and what doesn’t work for our swing. Ian chose shafts he thought would help him achieve a certain result and of them including his gamer several were bad fits. There has to be shafts from your fitting that didn’t work. Look at those to when comparing shafts to eliminate options that are similar.

Keep in mind shafts in and of themselves aren’t going to spin or launch. They affect the swing dynamics. This is also talked about in txg video.

If you were just looking to tinker with shafts then it would be easy but can still get expensive if one wants to try a bunch of different shafts. But easier because one is just tinkering and it doesn’t matter if it works or not

@therodI could be wrong here, but it sounds like there's a lot of unknowns with what shaft would feel good and perform for you, especially with the new head. You've also listed off a pretty good number of different shafts, is your plan to buy a handful and try them each out? If not, it seems to me like finding a place to get a fitting would be a good next step. 

When it comes to shafts I, like you, tend to do a ton of research, and sometimes there's just too much unknown for me to sort through on my own. Other times I have a much better idea of what I'm looking for, so narrowing it down to one or two options is much easier.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

While I'm pretty confident that if I went with an Evenflow I should try the black, I would probably go with the blue just looking for a slightly higher trajectory. I know it won't be a significant difference but I would be happy with a little bit. 

39 minutes ago, therod said:

While I'm pretty confident that if I went with an Evenflow I should try the black, I would probably go with the blue just looking for a slightly higher trajectory. I know it won't be a significant difference but I would be happy with a little bit. 

While that may happen it’s not guarantee that profile or even the black works for you. The evenflow profile isn’t the same as the tensei. The tensei orange could be a better option as the tip is slightly softer than the white with a very similar ei profile.

Heres the tensei shafts and the evenflow blue and black

C05C8EC9-A280-4F4E-98C7-F45EFB72FB76.png

B117770A-B0FF-452C-8511-D8F787DC055A.gif

24 minutes ago, therod said:

I don't doubt that at all. But part of my decision making has to take $$$ into account. More than likely, I'll find a blue or camo Evenflow cheaper than I would a softer tipped Tensei.

The orange is between $100-120 and the blue last time I looked was anywhere from $60-115. Assuming you can find one with your desired length and tip. If you have to re tip then you are in the same range as the orange 

A simple option to try is adjust the driver to add loft. This will increase spin some and also close the face but it’s easy to see quickly the effects.

Out of curiosity did you tell your fitter at all that you would like to get more height on your ball than what the tensei white was providing?

28 minutes ago, therod said:

I did say something, yes. But he felt like I needed the higher bend point shaft to handle the load I put on the shaft at the top of my backswing. 

I would just add loft to your current setup and see if that produces the ball flight you want.

The topic of changing shafts, what shaft will work for my swing or how does shaft x compare to y, comes up a lot on forums, it seems like almost daily over on wrx there’s a thread on one of these. And the guys most trusted there always provide the same type of response. 

Changing thee shaft and/or feel of the setup can cause numerous things good or bad. More/less spin, higher/lower ball flight, better/worse dispersion or change in shot shape kind of like the hzrdus black causing a slice. Or no real change at all. Again that’s shown in the TXG video. 

I had the first version in one of my past drivers and I liked it.  

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

Just wanted to chime in and add …

Got fitted 3 years ago into the TS2 with the Tensei Blue shaft and it was the best fitting investment I’ve ever done.

From that, got Tensei Blue all thru my woods and hybrids … Cobra 3W and my two Titleist TS2 hybrids. 

Fast fwd to today, I coach a h/s golf team and one of my players has the blue Evenflow Riptide stiff on his PXG driver. Took a few cuts with it both out on the range and the course, and I very much liked it, a lot. Don’t know the exact specifics, but I’d say it has a very similar profile. 

And yes, I absolutely cannot stand the Hzrdus line of shafts … just way too boardy for my swing profile. Annoying that they’re the popular stock shaft on almost all new drivers that get released. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

On 4/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, fozcycle said:

I have the riptide blue, which is regular flex, in my PXG 0211.  I had been gaming the tense ck blue in other drivers and really liked how it performed but the Riptide is a smooth shaft all thru the swing.  It took a couple rounds to get used to not having a “lag” but it really is smooth.

I have the riptide blue as well and I will agree it is a smooth shaft.  I'm still getting use to it but I do like the feel.

PXG Gen 4 0811X 7.5 degree Evenflow CB 50g

PXG Gen 4 0841X 3 Wood Evenflow CB 60g

PXG Gen 4 0817XF Hybrid 22 degree Evenflow 80g

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 52

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 56

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Maxfli Tour Gloss White Golf Balls

Maxfli Tour X Gloss White Golf Balls