Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Clear golf

Anyone tried any of these Clear Golf balls, I see Charl Schwartzel is sporting their hat? Balls are $58 a dozen!

https://cleargolf.com/pages/golf

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue 5S
  • :Sub70: 3 & 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 5-W Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater

Surprisingly he plays their ball and has been since 2020.

I wonder who manufactures the balls for Clear. To me, that's most important with DTC.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

Seems like it would be hard to see... I'll let myself out....

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

I was thinking this same thing, seeing Schwartzel with their hat on all day Saturday. I checked their website about the "Clear Team" and it's just him LOL. At $58 I wouldn't even consider buying this ball, but I am curious to hear the opinions of any Spies who have tried them.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I see zero reason why someone would play these other than they have money to burn and want to get attention.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I thought some more about it...I think it shows that a DTC ball can hang on tour. I wonder what quality control work goes into his balls versus the ones we would buy online.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

I might have to take the plunge and buy a dozen and do an unofficial review when it warms up and stops raining here in Indiana.

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue 5S
  • :Sub70: 3 & 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 5-W Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater

• 1 month later...

So has anyone taken the plunge and have a review on these balls?

Looked like Schwartzel was using the "Clear Green" but not certain about that. Might have been the "Black". Would love to try them out but doubt that I will ever find one in the rough - and that is the only way I would have of getting one to try.

Maybe MGS will include them in next years testing? It would be nice to be able to say that the Maxfli Tour, Snell MTB X or the Vice Pro plays as good or better than a $58 dollar ball (in lieu of a $48 ball) for a change.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

I don't think 10 bucks a dozen is a game-changer.  I tried the ball and there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.  Plays like most premium balls in that it is consistent and the spin characteristics rival Pro V 1's   TP 5's etc.  The best question I saw in this string was the question of what plant makes these???  The plant is key to quality control and consistency.  I do not see this as an "EGO" ball, more of a preference play in my opinion.  Not a status thing.   For the record, Ivan Lendl has become a solid player and he plays this ball.  I do not think one of the world's best tennis players bases his ego on the premise that he can pay ten bucks more per dozen for this ball.  More likely he just prefers it.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, John S said:

I don't think 10 bucks a dozen is a game-changer.  I tried the ball and there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.  Plays like most premium balls in that it is consistent and the spin characteristics rival Pro V 1's   TP 5's etc.  The best question I saw in this string was the question of what plant makes these???  The plant is key to quality control and consistency.  I do not see this as an "EGO" ball, more of a preference play in my opinion.  Not a status thing.   For the record, Ivan Lendl has become a solid player and he plays this ball.  I do not think one of the world's best tennis players bases his ego on the premise that he can pay ten bucks more per dozen for this ball.  More likely he just prefers it.

and Mr. Lendl has a few more dollars to burn than many of us on this forum... not to mention... Clear has a line of tennis frames and shafts... so I can do that math in my head.

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 9:44 AM, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

Anyone tried any of these Clear Golf balls, I see Charl Schwartzel is sporting their hat? Balls are $58 a dozen!

Funny thing is.  I looked at the link you posted.  Their golf balls  they have priced 8 dollars more a dozen than the "mostly accepted" best and most expensive "premium" ball on the market.  Ironically the two Tennis racquet frames they have listed, would be considered mediocre at best(based on pricing).  Yonex, Vokl, and others have tennis frames listed at $259, $270, and $280 dollars.  So their golf ball is "the best", but we could only produce a so-so tennis racquet frame.   I just find that kinda funny.  I will not being paying 58 dollars a dozen.

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Cost per dozen is probably high due to increased manufacturing costs where they don't make as many balls per batch as major brands and they are using (supposedly) advanced/expensive materials for their cores. They may potentially be cheaper if they were making the same volume of balls as brands like Taylormade and Titleist, but i can't see them reaching that level anytime soon, if at all.

Got to say, I was a little disappointed the ball wasn't actually clear and that it was just a brand name.😪

:wilson_staff_small:Wilson Staff M3 Driver, Fairway Wood and 4-PW Irons. :cleveland-small:Cleveland 58° 588 wedge, :rife-putters-1:Rife Barbados Islands Putter. :titleist-small:Titleist TruFeel balls, Titleist 14 Cart Bag and a Bag Boy Nitron Buggy

• 1 year later...

reviving this as I am seeing Sub70 now selling their balls (they were once partnered with snell instead). Interesting and the clear balls are still $58 a dozen

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review