TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG 0211DC Irons

PBH3

I'm thinking about getting a new set of game improvement irons and came across the PXG 0211DC and at $75 a club with the hero pricing they seem almost too good to be true.  Has anyone tried these?  What do you think they are comparable to?
Also, I noticed PXG charges $30/club to "upgrade" to GolfPride grips, which seems like a ripoff, but would just have them regripped when I received them.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

They are good irons. Several here have them and like them.

As for the upcharge of grips, it’s expected. Grips have been one of the items that have been on backorder for the last 1.5+ years. PXG is focused on getting orders out the door as fast as possible while other brands struggle. By pricing them at this price it one preserves their stock while pushing people to get the stock grip. PXG has their own grip so that’s another reason on top of the supply chain issues

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm in the process of testing them.  So far I've put them up against some Titleist AP1 716's.  The PXG 0211's were the clear winner.  I find them, at least to this point, forgiving, easy to hit, good launch and distance.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

I got the 0211s in the fall and they are fantastic. Much longer and also far more forgiving than the TMs they replaced. I've gone from 6 GIR to 10. They are particularly forgiving on thin shots, my standard miss. The PXG grips are actually lamkins... Perfectly good grips and no reason to replace them unless you are really attached to one type.

Agreed, the Lamkin grips they use are first rate.  I swap them because I prefer the Winn LT midsize grips but that's a personal preference, not a knock on the Lamkin product.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

15 hours ago, Riverboat said:

I got the 0211s in the fall and they are fantastic. Much longer and also far more forgiving than the TMs they replaced. I've gone from 6 GIR to 10. They are particularly forgiving on thin shots, my standard miss. The PXG grips are actually lamkins... Perfectly good grips and no reason to replace them unless you are really attached to one type.

Thanks!  Out of curiosity which model were your TM irons?

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

13 hours ago, Bobbers said:

Agreed, the Lamkin grips they use are first rate.  I swap them because I prefer the Winn LT midsize grips but that's a personal preference, not a knock on the Lamkin product.

If you are referring to the pxg logo’d grips I disagree. They are too slick and overall not good

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

They are great clubs, you will not be disappointed. I had the original 0211s and then got the current 0211DCs. Very forgiving and the best feeling cast club on the market. The PXG grips are good quality. 

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:56 AM, PBH3 said:

I'm thinking about getting a new set of game improvement irons and came across the PXG 0211DC and at $75 a club with the hero pricing they seem almost too good to be true.  Has anyone tried these?  What do you think they are comparable to?
Also, I noticed PXG charges $30/club to "upgrade" to GolfPride grips, which seems like a ripoff, but would just have them regripped when I received them.

Very good irons! I owned a set, but found them to be no better than Tour Edge Exotics C721/E721, New Level MODB-1 or Sub 70 699/699 Pro irons ( certainly comparable, but not “better”).  In addition, there are very few shaft choices (only Elevate 95 steel and Mitsubishi MMT70 shafts in R-flex and the MMTs were a significant up charge when I got mine in 2021, but that may have changed).

i personally find Sub 70 and Tour Edge to be MUCH more customer-friendly than PXG, as well.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I just ordered 0211DC's myself.  Still not able to get them out on the course here, but they feel great in my hitting bay.  The top line is surprisingly thin for an iron with so much forgiveness.  I love the way they sit behind the ball.  PXG did make a mistake on my build (wrong shaft flex on two irons).  They offered to correct the error free of charge, of course, but that would have required me sending the clubs back to be rebuilt rather than just building and shipping the correct configuration.  I was on the fence about having mixed flexes in the bag anyway, so I'm going to play them as built rather than give up 2 to 3 weeks of potential playing time to have them corrected.      

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow XS

TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver/2W 12.5*, Elements Chrome XS

Callaway Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila Rogue 95 MSI XS

Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrid 20*, KBS Tour Steel XS

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 5-SW, Project X LZ Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

My brother bought a set and he absolutely loves  them.  Is hitting them sweet.

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

Not sure if they still offer this or not, but at one point you could order from the local PXG store and have the clubs shipped there for pick-up instead of paying the $50 or whatever ridiculous shipping charge they have.  Worth looking into if you have a store nearby.

I recently ordered the PXG 211 st blades and I love them. I'm a senior with about an 18 handicap and have never played blades before. I went from Cobra fly-z xl 2* flat irons to the 211 st blades 2* flat and they are sweet! At $89 per iron, they are worth every penny!

Driver- Ping G425 SFT senior flex

3 wood - Ping G425 SFT senior flex

5 wood Ping G410 SFT senior flex

5 Ping G425 5 hybrid senior flex

6 - gap wedge - Ping G425 irons orange code senior flex

56* sand wedge- 60 lob wedge- Kirkland 

Putter- Odyssey  

Went with a buddy who just got fitted.  Ironic that PXG 0211 is now the "value" brand with no supply chain issues, they are filling a gap in the market.  The grips upgrade is known to the fitters.  The guy who fit my buddy told him to buy whatever he wanted put on them and he would install them for free.  Ended up with a sweet deal with some nice pure grips .

ROGUE ST MAX 9* - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65 Graphite stiff

GBB Epic Pro Tour 15* - Matrix Radix HD 7 stiff

Cleveland Mashie 20.5* - Miyazaki 5G Stiff

PXG O211 4-G - Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Callaway Mac Daddy CB 54* & 58* - KBS shafts.

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - PXG Multi-Material M16 Putter Shaft plumbers neck 

I pulled the trigger on the 0211's last Summer but upgraded the shafts to the Tour 105's and ordered the midsize PXG grips....absolutely love them and they are longer than the Ping irons they replaced....I would not pay $30 for Golf Pride grips, but WOULD pay $35 per club for the Tour 105 shafts...well worth the difference in my opinion....go for them!!!!!

Golf Gear Head

Why would you or anyone buy the same pair of shoes or pants I wear without getting properly fit for those shoes or pants?  Get properly it for your golf clubs or pay the consequences!  Millions are spent every year for clubs that have a brand name and built for no one.  Don't be that guy! 

I have 5-PW. TT 115 shaft (stock). This is far and away the best looking club from a top line perspective. Offset seems progressive. I love the center face contact feel of a hollow club with dampeners. Worth the money, all of it. They’re also very service minded and have made their direct model exceptional. 

2 minutes ago, Dax279 said:

Is there no way for you to get a fitting? PXG make great clubs and I would not overlook their standard Lamkin grip which is very good.  

The pxg logo grip is terrible. It’s slick and cheap. Only reason to get is to save the upgrade costs

Had a tough time choosing between the Tour Edge C721 irons and the 0211 DC, but at $75 a stick versus $130 for the C721 it seemed like an easy choice, and they haven’t disappointed. Much more forgiving than my previous irons (Ping i500’s with Steelfiber i70’s), and dare I say it, better feel. Despite the slightly wider soles I find the turf interaction around the greens to be excellent.

oh and the slick and cheap grips? keep them clean and I find them to feel very similar to the GP Tour Velvets I planned to replace them with. I’m not a huge fan of Lamkin grips but after 9 months they’re still fine.

What's currently in my 'ever-changing' bag:

Driver: Ping G410 LSTStock Alta shaft reg flex.

FW: PXG 0211 3 wood, Evenflow 50g reg flex.

Hybrids: Ping G400 4 & 5 reg flex Alta Shaft.

Irons: PXG 0211DC, TT Elevate 95 Reg Flex

Putter: Odyssey Tuttle

15 hours ago, Ike said:

Why would you or anyone buy the same pair of shoes or pants I wear without getting properly fit for those shoes or pants?  Get properly it for your golf clubs or pay the consequences!  Millions are spent every year for clubs that have a brand name and built for no one.  Don't be that guy! 

You get custom fit for pants and shoes?  Not me.  I know my sizes, so a fitting isn't necessary.  Same for my golf clubs -- I've been successfully fit recently.  I know my specs, and I know my game.  Sure, I could make a bad choice and get a shaft or head that isn't ideal.  But that's happened after formal fittings as well.  In fact, the only two times I bought irons that didn't work at all for me they were selected and built by a "fitting expert".  

Edited by Hacker Rod
Typo

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

On 4/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, PBH3 said:

Nice clubs for the money. The grips are not $30 up charge, should be $10-15/club depending on the grips you choose. There is a fee around $30+ for a shaft upgrade. If you choose the Mitsubishi Graphite they offer (a nice shaft) I had that put in my 0211, be aware the diameter is smaller that the steel shaft. I could tell by feel and they sent them back and put an extra layer of tape, to make the grip feel right. I had the Golfpride CP2 Wrap grips put on my clubs, paid $10 per grip. Good luck in your search/buying.

3 hours ago, Hacker Rod said:

I just ordered 0211DC's myself.  Still not able to get them out on the course here, but they feel great in my hitting bay.  The top line is surprisingly thin for an iron with so much forgiveness.  I love the way they sit behind the ball.  PXG did make a mistake on my build (wrong shaft flex on two irons).  They offered to correct the error free of charge, of course, but that would have required me sending the clubs back to be rebuilt rather than just building and shipping the correct configuration.  I was on the fence about having mixed flexes in the bag anyway, so I'm going to play them as built rather than give up 2 to 3 weeks of potential playing time to have them corrected.      

The thin top line is really a beveled edge. It is a visual thing that helps make the club look thinner from the top. Nice clubs and a good price. If it was me, I would have PXG re-shaft the two clubs (at their cost) so that your set matches up.

4 minutes ago, mark smith said:

Nice clubs for the money. The grips are not $30 up charge, should be $10-15/club depending on the grips you choose. There is a fee around $30+ for a shaft upgrade. If you choose the Mitsubishi Graphite they offer (a nice shaft) I had that put in my 0211, be aware the diameter is smaller that the steel shaft. I could tell by feel and they sent them back and put an extra layer of tape, to make the grip feel right. I had the Golfpride CP2 Wrap grips put on my clubs, paid $10 per grip. Good luck in your search/buying.

With the Mitsubishi graphite shaft, there is not an upcharge. The have a steel shaft or the Misubishi Graphite shaft as part of the normal price. 

4 minutes ago, mark smith said:

The thin top line is really a beveled edge. It is a visual thing that helps make the club look thinner from the top. Nice clubs and a good price. If it was me, I would have PXG re-shaft the two clubs (at their cost) so that your set matches up.

The set does match up - all irons have the Elevate Tour in the same flex.  I ordered the 5 & 6 irons in X flex because I've recently started using X flex in my driver, hybrids and driving iron with good results.  I ordered the remaining irons in S.  They built the entire set in S - an understandable mistake.  Having them all the same flex will make them easier to unload later when/if I decide to do so.  They will still correct the shafts free of charge, but I'd have to send them back to Arizona, so I'd be without them for a few weeks.  I also have the option to go to a PXG store to tweak the fitting if necessary.  And if they don't work out, I have 30 days to return them.  

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

I have a set of the 0211 DC Irons (5-SW). Ordered them with the Recoil Dart 75 R Shaft. Be wary of this shaft as the F3 R plays closer to a stiff shaft. So if you need a R shaft I would suggest ordering the F2 A flex will play  like an R shaft. I’ll either have this set re-shafted or sell them. 

I scheduled a PXG traveling fitting through their website (check out if that my an option for you) this past winter on a whim due to the value, and reviews I had read.  I had all ready scheduled a fitting at Golf Tec, and did them both within a couple days of each other.  I ended up getting the PXG's, and my customer service experiences with them have been wonderful. For what it's worth, the other fitting concluded Mizuno's, which I also really liked.  In a perfect world, I would have loved to hit them side by side, but obviously, that was not an option.

I got the 0211 DC's and so far, pretty pleased with them.  I ended up with the stock Elevate shafts, regular flex, but there are multiple upcharge options on the website also.  I also think the standard PXG grips are just fine.  Not slick at all.

I've mostly used them on simulators, with just two actual rounds on a real course.  Springtime in Wisconsin.  Clubs look great, feel very good, are pretty forgiving as well. Nearly every shot is dead straight, and distance is pretty consistent even on less than good contact.  With good contact, it feels awesome!!   Agree with other comments about the topline view too.  Really still getting used to them, but I believe I found a winner, but not quite there yet.  For the price, I would definitely recommend them.  Definitely a quality product.

PXG seems to promote them as Player Distance irons comparing them to the P790's, most reviews I've seen indicate they are game improvement.  I kind of think they sit on the fence between them, which is perfect for me.

:srixon-small:      ZX7 Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small:   3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small: C300 Hybrids 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

:taylormade-small:   Stealth 5- GW Ventus Red 6-R

(Sorry, no Edison logo as of yet)   Edison 49 and 55 degree wedges                                                               :cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

:EVNROLL:  ER5 CS 35 in putter

:ShotScope:  V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:OnCore:   OnCore Elixr

I tried the 0211DCs and was pleased with them.  Probably going to pull the trigger on them shortly.  Already have a 0211 driver and hybrid with the stock PXG grips with no complaints or issues.  

:PXG:PXG 0211 9 degree driver HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.0

:cobra-small:Cobra BioCell 5 wood @ 17 degrees Project X PXv stiff

:callaway-small:Callaway Apex UW 19 degree HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70 5.5

:PXG:PXG 0211 19 degree Hybrid HZRDUS smoke black 80 6.0

:Takomo:Takomo 101T 4 to PW KBS Tour regular

:wilson_staff_small:Wilson Staff 50 degree Gap

:vokey-small:Vokey SM9 54.12D Sand and all-around the green

:vokey-small:Vokey SM9 58.12D lob and sand

:nevercompromise-small: Voodoo

:maxfli:Maxfli TourX

Got the 0211s with Recoil Dart 75 stiff shafts about a month ago to try something different after playing Cobra one length irons for the last 5 years. Nice club for the money. Feel good and are pretty forgiving. Maybe a few yards longer than the Cobras but not crazy long like some people have experienced. The graphite shafts seem a little softer than my steel KBS, but hoping they will be easier on my hands and elbows. Stock grips are fine for now...if they get slick later I'll change them out for the cords I like.

Important tip: my lofts and lies were all over the map, same with two of my buddies so get them checked when you receive them! The pro that did it for me says that is common with PXG clubs.