Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno OMOI Putters

null

Anyone have a chance to roll these yet?

I had the opportunity yesterday and I came away confused.

The positives:

The sound/feel is extremely premium - what you'd expect from Mizuno

The mixed bag:

The alignment aide - man it is thick.  It really distracts me and while I am sure some will like it, I think it takes away from the overall aesthetic of the putter

The negative:

The grip.  The only thing that the golfer touches on the putter and I feel that this is a huge miss on Mizuno's part.  It felt extremely cheap.  The seem on the underside of the grip was very pronounced and uncomfortable and the rest of the grip has an awkward texture.  Will some like it? Sure.  But I can see a large majority of people picking up this putter in their local golf shop, rolling a few putts, and putting it back because of the grip.

I have been fitted for an OMOI #1, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I'm playing with it on the practice green when I go to the range for a couple more times before I decide. (My fitter says my current La Jolla still fits me extremely well, but it's VERY heavy, and I struggle with distance control on faster greens.) In the few times I've rolled it outside I am very pleased with the improvement in distance on longer lags. Considering that the demo club they have is too long and 5° too upright it's surprisingly good on direction for me. The alignment aid is almost exactly the same as my current putter, so I'm fine with it. I considered the blue finish, but with the alignment aid in black there isn't enough contrast for my eyes, and I think changing it to white would look awful, so it will be silver for me if I do it. I didn't notice any issue with the grip. It's an ultralight grip (as well as an ultralight shaft) that apparently is important to the weight balance of the putter. I don't like the feel of light grips for swing clubs, but it doesn't bother me on the putter, and I like the size and shape of the grip.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe in black the alignment aid is not such a deterrent? 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I’ve been really intrigued about these putters, I really want to try the #1 in black. I’ve worked on my putting stroke, and two big things have changed. One a mallet no longer suits me, I just struggle with the shorts putts, I switched to an older ping anser and I’ve been draining the short putts. The second is I no longer use a line on the ball, so the black version with not a distinct line makes me think it will work. I like the Ping PLD, but I like the Mizuno is cheaper and has weights that I can work with to get the feel dialed. The hard part is finding one to try out. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

On 5/1/2022 at 7:20 AM, cjeffs12 said:

I’ve been really intrigued about these putters, I really want to try the #1 in black. I’ve worked on my putting stroke, and two big things have changed. One a mallet no longer suits me, I just struggle with the shorts putts, I switched to an older ping anser and I’ve been draining the short putts. The second is I no longer use a line on the ball, so the black version with not a distinct line makes me think it will work. I like the Ping PLD, but I like the Mizuno is cheaper and has weights that I can work with to get the feel dialed. The hard part is finding one to try out. 

I bought one in blue last week, and they have a black one in stock waiting for you to try it. Of course, you have to come to Cincinnati. 🙁 

19 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

I bought one in blue last week, and they have a black one in stock waiting for you to try it. Of course, you have to come to Cincinnati. 🙁 

Honestly it feels like that might be the closest one to try lol

On 4/11/2022 at 10:27 AM, Siamese Moose said:

I have been fitted for an OMOI #1, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I'm playing with it on the practice green when I go to the range for a couple more times before I decide. (My fitter says my current La Jolla still fits me extremely well, but it's VERY heavy, and I struggle with distance control on faster greens.) In the few times I've rolled it outside I am very pleased with the improvement in distance on longer lags. Considering that the demo club they have is too long and 5° too upright it's surprisingly good on direction for me. The alignment aid is almost exactly the same as my current putter, so I'm fine with it. I considered the blue finish, but with the alignment aid in black there isn't enough contrast for my eyes, and I think changing it to white would look awful, so it will be silver for me if I do it. I didn't notice any issue with the grip. It's an ultralight grip (as well as an ultralight shaft) that apparently is important to the weight balance of the putter. I don't like the feel of light grips for swing clubs, but it doesn't bother me on the putter, and I like the size and shape of the grip.

Honestly, don't wait if you don't have to. Mizuno is really struggling to get shafts for putters and while they have them in now...they may not in the near future. My M-Craft has been pushed back for months and was pushed back "at least" another month due to shaft shortage.

WITB:

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 XStiff
3W: Ping G425 w/ Ping Tour 75S

7W: Callaway Epic Flash 21°
5i-PW: Srixon ZX5
48°: Cleveland CBX 2
52° & 56°: Cleveland RTX 4 Tour Raw
Putter: Mizuno M-Craft VI

2 hours ago, OssiansFolly said:

Honestly, don't wait if you don't have to. Mizuno is really struggling to get shafts for putters and while they have them in now...they may not in the near future. My M-Craft has been pushed back for months and was pushed back "at least" another month due to shaft shortage.

That post was almost a month ago, and I took delivery about 10 days ago. My range had it in stock in a longer length, and cut and bent it to my spec (Mizuno won't customize putters! WTF!), and even repainted the alignment line from black (too dark for me on this blue model) to white. The original grip couldn't be saved. ("This ultralight grip is just soaking up the solvent." Apparently the interior is porous.) That's no real loss, as I had them put on my preferred Lamkin midsize pistol grip. I'm still evaluating what weights I want to use. I'm used to a quite heavy putter, and thought I might use the 13g weights, but to my surprise it's between the 3 and 8g weights now. I'll probably stick with the 8, but I want to try it on a different green before I make a final decision.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:04 PM, Siamese Moose said:

That post was almost a month ago, and I took delivery about 10 days ago. My range had it in stock in a longer length, and cut and bent it to my spec (Mizuno won't customize putters! WTF!), and even repainted the alignment line from black (too dark for me on this blue model) to white. The original grip couldn't be saved. ("This ultralight grip is just soaking up the solvent." Apparently the interior is porous.) That's no real loss, as I had them put on my preferred Lamkin midsize pistol grip. I'm still evaluating what weights I want to use. I'm used to a quite heavy putter, and thought I might use the 13g weights, but to my surprise it's between the 3 and 8g weights now. I'll probably stick with the 8, but I want to try it on a different green before I make a final decision.

That's awesome. I'm happy I went to a fitter because mine called and offered to let me use the labs putter until mine comes in "hopefully" next month. Its been 3 months and pushed back another month, so at this point I'm not hopeful that I get my putter until end of summer.

WITB:

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 XStiff
3W: Ping G425 w/ Ping Tour 75S

7W: Callaway Epic Flash 21°
5i-PW: Srixon ZX5
48°: Cleveland CBX 2
52° & 56°: Cleveland RTX 4 Tour Raw
Putter: Mizuno M-Craft VI

• 3 weeks later...

I am loving my OMOI 2. I found the blacked out version, and it looks sweet. I have played with the weights, more of the standard and the 3g, and for now I think I will stick with the standard 8. It helps with my lag putting better, and now that I am getting comfortable with the heavier weight, I am starting to have better speed and making putts.