TESTERS WANTED! ×

Changing putter weights?

DStar

For those of you who use different weighted putters (or change weights in your putters), how do you find it works best? Heavier for faster greens and lighter on slower ones or vice-versa?

With my new putter I can change the weight from 350 to 370g by replacing the weights so just trying to figure out which way around I should be using them. I know a bit of trial and error is needed but just trying to gauge some thoughts on it.

Thanks

Steve

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

5 hours ago, DStar said:

For those of you who use different weighted putters (or change weights in your putters), how do you find it works best? Heavier for faster greens and lighter on slower ones or vice-versa?

With my new putter I can change the weight from 350 to 370g by replacing the weights so just trying to figure out which way around I should be using them. I know a bit of trial and error is needed but just trying to gauge some thoughts on it.

Thanks

Steve

I'm sure this can go both ways as feel it's its own thing. But previously I have used a lighter putter on faster greens.  I can try to keep my stroke the same speed and the lighter weight head at the same speed stroke doesn't hit the ball as far. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I don’t really change putter or weight of a putter based on green speed. I rotated between 4 putters throughout the season just because I like to change things up. 

I try to spend 10-15 mins on the putting green before a round to get a feel for the speeds and then adjust as necessary on the course

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 hours ago, DStar said:

I have seen recommendations for both heavier and lighter on faster greens and the same for slower greens. The reasoning for heavier on faster is that it slows down the putter resulting in slower ball speeds.  The reasoning for heavier on slower is that more mass will increase ball speeds.   Switch the arguments around and you get the heavier on slow and lighter on fast.   Theory is that if you can find the right weight for the various green speed you can just make the same stroke and build one set of feels for distances.

I keep heads the same weight even if I can change since it reduces variables.  Head weight will influence rotation so you could struggle to square the putter resulting in more of a pull or push.  Weight could just change your feels and the theory not work out.  Basically you just need to try it it and see if it works for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've actually got what I call my Spring/Fall putter and my Summer putter...  I deploy a Scotty Futura X with extra weight in the Spring/Summer because the greens are slower and I want to make sure the ball gets to the hole, and I use my Evenroll which is lighter during the summer when they are running fast.   I find that works for me.  But I'd love to hear from those who want a heavier putter for faster greens.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I don't use the weights to adjust for green speed.  I use them to help compensate for a tendency to not come through square at impact.  I have a tendency to bring the toe through faster closing the face and launching everything to the left and can slow it down by making it heavier than the heel.  Once set I do not often change it but I do periodically check based on play and tweak it if I need to.

GPS111

Same story here. I don’t adjust based on green speed. I have the Kirkland KS1 with the weight kit. After some trials, I found the weight that feels best for me. It’s on the heavy side. Some of my buddies say it’s way too heavy - for them. I play the same course 75% of the time. 

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

I went to a Ping PLD custom fitting and one of the fitting parameters was weight. There were a few considerations that the fitter mentioned in regards to weight (to be considered together) as a starting point. As with anything in golf, still have to find works best for an individual, it may end up being the opposite.

• Tempo: Ping has some specific recommendations around tempo bands/thresholds. Slower tempo strokes generally work better with higher weights
  • Distance Control vs. Stability: Ping says there is some trade off between distance control and stability. The heavier the putter, generally will help to stabilize the stroke, whereas a lighter putter will generally help with distance control
  • Putter Length: To a certain extent considering increasing putter headweight for short putters. I think that one was a bit more specific to me and not the main bell curve, because i putt with a 31 to 31.5" putter and the fitter didn't want my putter to be too light

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in the same school of thought, weights for direction. I use a (350g) putter head weight but use heavier heel (10 g) and lighter weight (3.5g) in the toe. Helps me keep the toe from closing faster and creating a truer “square” impact. Using a consistent putter weight on all greens reduces variables and personally I control speed by using face location. 

Once I find the weight combination that produces the best impact stroke I don’t change the heel/toe weights. I think it’s important to use a putter head weight that produces consistent speed on the majority of your putts, then fine tune heel/toe weights for direction.

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

I started with the light weights for a few rounds and found I was lacking a little pace due to our greens being a bit faster now and me being scared of overhitting so I swapped to the heavier weights for a few holes last night and was way more consistent for pace.

Will track how my putts go (if I'm pulling or pushing) and, if I am, I'll try different weight combinations.

Thanks for all the input guys 👍

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

• 2 weeks later...

Double post

Edited by Motoboss

Still “tinkering “ with movable weights and trying to determine the best weight location(toe-v-heel) and actual weight with 5g increments I ran across this article. Interesting information, especially about toe weighting and “hook spin”.

Movable Weighting

On 4/24/2022 at 10:26 PM, Motoboss said:

I’m in the same school of thought, weights for direction. I use a (350g) putter head weight but use heavier heel (10 g) and lighter weight (3.5g) in the toe. Helps me keep the toe from closing faster and creating a truer “square” impact. Using a consistent putter weight on all greens reduces variables and personally I control speed by using face location. 

Once I find the weight combination that produces the best impact stroke I don’t change the heel/toe weights. I think it’s important to use a putter head weight that produces consistent speed on the majority of your putts, then fine tune heel/toe weights for direction.

Motoboss,

Was this your experience?  When you put a lighter weight in the toe and it helped you stop the toe from closing?

I ask, because years ago I had two putters, a big mallet and an Anser-style, from Mentor Sports with several moveable weights designed by Chin Bae. You could make substantial weight changes because the cylinders he used were made from aluminum, steel and tungsten.

For the Anser-style putter, you could move weights around the heel and toe.  When we tested putter weights for right-handers, our experience was the ball followed the weight.  Heavier weights in the heel?  The ball moved to the left because the toe was moving faster.  Heavier in the toe? The ball moved to the right, which was great for left misses, since the heel was moving faster.

That said, I prefer to listen to the player and wondered what your results were.

For me, if I had too much weight in the toe, I shut the face going back and blocked the putt short and right.  Weight in the heel helped me release the toe and moved the ball to the left. Those results mirror those found in the article you posted.  

Other fitters have told and shown me they see the same thing with lie angle.  Too upright, toe in the air, puts hook spin on the ball and causes left misses; too flat, heel off the ground, puts slice spin and short right misses.

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K

@Clemsonfan my findings are the same as yours and the article. Yes lighter toe weight the slower the face closed.

I tended to pull short putts left but finally, finally settled on even weight. Go figure! I believe my biggest issue was creating hook spin in my stroke as I found it got worse or lessened with changing the toe weighting but still remained. I switched to as little weight as a I have, 3.5grams both toe and heel which effectively lowered the overall putter weight. I also changed from a Super Stroke 2.0 to a Ping 58 mid cord grip. With the lighter weight evenly distributed and the smaller grip I found much better feel for the putterhead. Consequently my line and distance control has immensely improved. The 18+ foot lags and the midrange 3-7 footer makes have improved tremendously . Additionally the 2-3 footers are just about automatic.

Now these results are after garage matt putting and two rounds but I’ve quickly gained at least 4 strokes putting on the course.
I can only hope it improves 😉 

Edited by Motoboss

On 5/14/2022 at 4:33 PM, Motoboss said:

@Clemsonfan my findings are the same as yours and the article. Yes lighter toe weight the slower the face closed.

I tended to pull short putts left but finally, finally settled on even weight. Go figure! I believe my biggest issue was creating hook spin in my stroke as I found it got worse or lessened with changing the toe weighting but still remained. I switched to as little weight as a I have, 3.5grams both toe and heel which effectively lowered the overall putter weight. I also changed from a Super Stroke 2.0 to a Ping 58 mid cord grip. With the lighter weight evenly distributed and the smaller grip I found much better feel for the putterhead. Consequently my line and distance control has immensely improved. The 18+ foot lags and the midrange 3-7 footer makes have improved tremendously . Additionally the 2-3 footers are just about automatic.

Now these results are after garage matt putting and two rounds but I’ve quickly gained at least 4 strokes putting on the course.
I can only hope it improves 😉 

That is great news!  Sounds like you have found the setup that works for you!  I am still searching.  

Good luck going forward.

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K

I just went ahead and ordered weights for my phantom x 6, wanted to see if I liked the heavier feel, worst case I am out like $15

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

56 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

I just went ahead and ordered weights for my phantom x 6, wanted to see if I liked the heavier feel, worst case I am out like $15

It’s worth experimenting with different combinations. Please post your findings.