New wegdes needed

MarcelK143

On 4/27/2022 at 10:04 AM, Kansas King said:

Honestly, are there any bad wedges?\

Wedges from any reputable golf company along with those from the likes of Sub70 and Maltby are all going to be good. It's mainly a matter of fit. I'm very partial to my Callaway PM grind wedges for my 56 and 60. I tend to prefer gap wedges that match my iron set as they tend to offer more consistent performance on more regular squared up swings. My current setup is Maltby MMB 17s down to gap which is 51*, then I have a PM Grind 56* and 60*. I've used Scor wedges in the past with much success. Scor now goes under the Eidolon brand now. 

All in all, you can't go wrong with whatever you choose for the most part. There are some more unique wedges out there that have different purposes like the Mizuno ES21, Cleveland CBX, and Callaway PM grinds. I really like the CBX wedges if you have any turf contact consistency issues. I don't know a lot about the ES21, but it's a very different looking wedge in person. If you're on a budget, you can't beat Maltby. However, it appears you're from SA which may make some manufacturers harder to buy from. 

This. You're going to get a great wedge from most of the reputable companies (including Tour Edge, Sub 70, etc). It just comes down to what your course conditions tend to be, your technique, and your confidence. 

Case in point, I was playing with my brother in law's set last week. Had never used his CBX2 wedges before and his lofts were slightly different than mine. But after 15 minutes on the practice green figuring out how they were different than mine (heavier heads, which actually turned out to be great on partial shots), had no problem working them. 

• Like 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

So many good options out there right now. I am partial to PING stuff so I have a fitting to try the Glide Forged Pros and Glide 4.0's in a few weeks (The 4.0's seem like a big hit on tour so far). Will also hit the SM9's (Flight Lines definitely have me interested), RTX Full-face, and whatever else the fitters recommend.

PING G425 LST 9* | VA Composites SLAY 65

PING G425 LST 3W 14.5* | Fujikura Atmos Blue

PING G425 3H 19* | Oban Devotion

PING i500 4-5, PING i59 6-PW | Nippon N.S. Pro 1150GH Tour

PING Glide Forged 50* | Nippon N.S. Pro 1150GH Tour

PING Glide Forged 55*, 60* | Nippon Modus 3 115 Wedge

PING PLD Milled Prime Tyne 4 Putter 35"

Titleist Pro V1x

5 hours ago, MNUte said:

This. You're going to get a great wedge from most of the reputable companies (including Tour Edge, Sub 70, etc). It just comes down to what your course conditions tend to be, your technique, and your confidence. 

Case in point, I was playing with my brother in law's set last week. Had never used his CBX2 wedges before and his lofts were slightly different than mine. But after 15 minutes on the practice green figuring out how they were different than mine (heavier heads, which actually turned out to be great on partial shots), had no problem working them. 

I really like the CBX line. However, I wasn't a fan of the stock shaft in the original CBX as it was too light for me. The heads are great though.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 2:19 PM, Kansas King said:

I really like the CBX line. However, I wasn't a fan of the stock shaft in the original CBX as it was too light for me. The heads are great though.

Me too. I have CBX irons and love them. Now after trying the CBX2 irons, I'm definitely keeping them in mind for future wedges. The heads did everythy I wanted, and I liked what I could do with heavier heads on partial shots.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

My brother was looking for new wedges. I like my CBX2s, so I suggested that he try them. He said he tried them, and he didn’t really like them. But then he demoed CBX Zipcores, and ordered some immediately. I don’t know what the difference is, though.

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  
HYBRIDS 
:ping-small: G410 19°, 22°  |  IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW 
WEDGES :cleveland-small: 
CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°  |  PUTTER KIRKLAND Signature KS1

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO SOFT +   :srixon-small: Z-URS   :callaway-small: SUPERSOFT, HX HOT BITE (old stock)
BAG :1590477705_SunMountain: 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART :Clicgear: ROVIC RV1S

• 2 weeks later...

Have you changed out your SM5 wedges yet? 
I'm like you, hard to let go of the wedges.  I had a 54 degree, but still have the 60 degree SM5 Wedges.  Finally broke down last month and replaced my 54 degree SM5 with a brand new SM8 54/12 D and it has made a difference.  Newer grooves for one!  Haven't replaced the SM5 60 yet, black head model.  Looking at PXG or Ping 60 degree. Interested in the Ping Glide, they really seem to fit the eye. 

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

PXG 0211 Driver 9.0 - set at 10.0 Draw bias - Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60g

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (21 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter:Odyssey 2Ball 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap: 1.0

6 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

Have you changed out your SM5 wedges yet? 
I'm like you, hard to let go of the wedges.  I had a 54 degree, but still have the 60 degree SM5 Wedges.  Finally broke down last month and replaced my 54 degree SM5 with a brand new SM8 54/12 D and it has made a difference.  Newer grooves for one!  Haven't replaced the SM5 60 yet, black head model.  Looking at PXG or Ping 60 degree. Interested in the Ping Glide, they really seem to fit the eye. 

Funny thing, is earlier tonight I had finished up on the range and hit the practice green to work on my short game, putting and chipping.  I was the only one there and had been there for about 30 minutes when I found a 60 degree Ping Glide on the far side drop off from the green that looked barely used.  Looked around for anyone that may have forgotten it and then took it to the pro shop where the kid behind the counter said thanks and dropped it in a box.  Someone somewhere is not happy tonight.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

Cool, you turned the wedge in! Nice! 
However, this may be another sign to go with Ping Glide 60 Degree! Just need all the affirmation I can get! LOL 😂🤣

• Haha 1

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

PXG 0211 Driver 9.0 - set at 10.0 Draw bias - Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60g

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (21 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter:Odyssey 2Ball 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap: 1.0