Jump to content

Snell Limiting to 2 dozen again


PBH3
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Or some companies are less popular/move less volume than others. 

Perhaps, also worth noting that the Vice stock and the Snell stock likely do come from two different factories based on assumed dimple patterns. Vice is seemingly from that Foremost plant with most of their balls having that 318 dimple pattern, Snell looks to be from somewhere else with the 360 dimple pattern, unless Dean's leveraging his old R&D and patents which wouldn't be a surprise.

  • Like 3

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

 :mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Project X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe Raw 48* (bent from 50*), 53* (bent from 54*), and 58*, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

 SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never heard of Snell.

Are they a ball used widely in the USA?

What sort of balls are they?

Where can I find information about them.

What is a typical equivalent make that they can be compared too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 11:55 AM, PBH3 said:

I just went to order some balls for the season and I see Snell is back to capping orders to 2 dozen per order citing raw material shortages.  Is Taylor Made squeezing them out of the factory they just bought? 

Snell is the only company allowed to use those molds in the manufacturing of their balls in that plant.  Like many have noted, all manufacturers are experiencing shortages of golf balls this year.  Saw on the news today that there are 500 ships in the harbor at Shanghai.  WE ae just going to have to grin, bear it and buy them at whatever costs we can find them.  I have been looking for Titleist Prov1 left dots and have friend who owns a golf shop and told them when they come in to hold them for me.  He is my fitter and does all my repair work.  They might get three dozen a month.  Really surprised that lower priced balls are putting limits, but guess being they are getting their from overseas, only makes sense.  

 

  • Like 1

Titleist

DRIVER - TSI3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S  

FAIRWAY - TSI2 16.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300,  SM7 - 58.12D N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER - 2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2                                                    * GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red and Black Cart 14 

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY - StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove

SHOES/APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

RANGEFINDER -  BUSHNELL - Pro XE

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Perhaps, also worth noting that the Vice stock and the Snell stock likely do come from two different factories based on assumed dimple patterns. Vice is seemingly from that Foremost plant with most of their balls having that 318 dimple pattern, Snell looks to be from somewhere else with the 360 dimple pattern, unless Dean's leveraging his old R&D and patents which wouldn't be a surprise.

There is definitely a difference in supplier.  I think Snell is from the plant that TM bought, Vice is not.  Could be that TM is utilizing the production capacity early in the year or something along those lines as well.  It's almost like international supply chain economics and logistics are really complicated 😉 

  • Like 1

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, ChuckZ said:

Snell is the only company allowed to use those molds in the manufacturing of their balls in that plant.  Like many have noted, all manufacturers are experiencing shortages of golf balls this year.  Saw on the news today that there are 500 ships in the harbor at Shanghai.  WE ae just going to have to grin, bear it and buy them at whatever costs we can find them.  I have been looking for Titleist Prov1 left dots and have friend who owns a golf shop and told them when they come in to hold them for me.  He is my fitter and does all my repair work.  They might get three dozen a month.  Really surprised that lower priced balls are putting limits, but guess being they are getting their from overseas, only makes sense.  

 

The availability of left dot balls is completely unrelated to anything with supply chain or factory capacity etc.  Left dots are special limited quantity item from Titleist and were available only at that one release back in September if I recall correctly.  Titleist doesn't offer them as a regularly stocked product and they aren't available at regular retail stores because they don't think the ball is a good fit for most golfers.  Whether or not that opinion will change after seeing them sell out instantly and then prices on the secondary market hitting $150/dozen is another question.  

They are a similar concept to left dash except even more niche and hence why they are not part of the regular line-up.  We'll have to see if that changes in 2022 or not, My guess is not because Titleist probably doesn't care if a bunch of people that shouldn't be playing that ball can't get it and they also aren't concerned that some people are willing to pay crazy prices to get them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do Snell’s rate compared to Maxfli? I have some Maxfli straight’s but have always been curious on Snell. 

  • Like 1

TS2

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

Minzuno OMOI #2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, Middler said:

Really sad to see this happen to Snell, hope they come out in good shape when/if supply chain gets better. Used to be my go to ball, but between rationing, stockouts and price/shipping increases, I have 4 dozen MaxFli Tours that'll keep me flush for quite a while. Snell was the only ball I played for several years.

I, too, am a Snell golfer. Ordered 5 dz before the limit took effect. After hearing/reading about the new Maxfli Tour balls so much I decided to order 2 dz of each Tour ball and I'll have to say I'm VERY impressed with each Maxfli Tour ball after just 2 rds.  Curious how you find/found the Maxfli vs Snell.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go to OnCore and order-these actually are a better choice-I have played both (plius Vice) and attest these beat them all.

Golf Gear Head

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, YamYam said:

Never heard of Snell.

Are they a ball used widely in the USA?

What sort of balls are they?

Where can I find information about them.

What is a typical equivalent make that they can be compared too?

Dean Snell of Snell Golf worked for both Titleist and TaylorMade Golf for many years and his name is on the patents for several TaylorMade ball models (TP Red, TP Black, Penta and Lethal), as well as the Titleist ProV1 balls.

Snell MTB and MTB-X golf balls are three and four-piece premium balls was cast thermoset Urethane covers and have been very highly rated in a variety of golf ball tests over the last several years.  Just do a search and you will find plenty of reviews, test data and articles about Snell golf balls.

Edited by funkyjudge
  • Like 4

 

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love Snell MTB-X ball's, but now they're short on supply, I've moved to OnCore ELIXR (buy 3/get 1 free), or buy Maxfli Tour, Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide locally at Golf Galaxy/PGA Tour Superstore.  Without the buy in bulk pricing/free shipping from Snell - I found suitable alternatives.

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Max Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: M6 irons (4-GW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:Snell: "MTB-X" Golf Ball / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png Launch Monitor


Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

Dean Snell of Snell Golf worked for both Titleist and TaylorMade Golf for many years and his name is on the patents for several TaylorMade ball models (TP Red, TP Black, Penta and Lethal), as well as the Titleist ProV1 balls.

Snell MTB and MTB-X golf balls are three and four-piece premium balls was cast thermoset Urethane covers and have been very highly rated in a variety of golf ball tests over the last several years.  Just do a search and you will find plenty of reviews, test data and articles about Snell golf balls.

#YamYam -- You've been a member of MGS since 2017 and never heard of Snell?!?  Guess you don't follow the golf ball tests?

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Max Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: M6 irons (4-GW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:Snell: "MTB-X" Golf Ball / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png Launch Monitor


Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Peejer said:

#YamYam -- You've been a member of MGS since 2017 and never heard of Snell?!?  Guess you don't follow the golf ball tests?

Take another look at his signature which shows @YamYam joined April 2021 and 11 posts. There are lots of golfers, including low handicappers that never heard of Snell. I run across that every time I golf in league. Guys will pull up to my ball and have a quizzical look on their face when they try to identify the ball. Some will even have a tough time pronouncing the name - their common variation is SCH nel 

  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mbeckman03 said:

How do Snell’s rate compared to Maxfli? I have some Maxfli straight’s but have always been curious on Snell. 

Depends on which model you're looking at. The Snell Get Sum is the appropriate comparison to the Maxfli StraightFli, but if you move up to the Snell MTB line, then you'd need to compare to the Maxfli Tour models. The Tour CG is reasonably comparable to the MTB Black (the Maxfli should be a touch less spin), but I would argue that the MTB-X and Tour CG X aren't especially comparable. The MTB-X is a 3-piece, high-compression offering while the Maxfli X ball is a 4-piece ball. In my testing at least, the Maxfli X ball is higher-spinning than the MTB-X on full shots.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
Fun driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 9.5* with 47" Tensei CK White 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 54* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s, :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago

Ball: Maxfli Tour, ProV1, or TP5x
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed: and Fit for Golf 

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, greggarner said:

Depends on which model you're looking at. The Snell Get Sum is the appropriate comparison to the Maxfli StraightFli, but if you move up to the Snell MTB line, then you'd need to compare to the Maxfli Tour models. The Tour CG is reasonably comparable to the MTB Black (the Maxfli should be a touch less spin), but I would argue that the MTB-X and Tour CG X aren't especially comparable. The MTB-X is a 3-piece, high-compression offering while the Maxfli X ball is a 4-piece ball. In my testing at least, the Maxfli X ball is higher-spinning than the MTB-X on full shots.

Thank you!  Appreciate the insight!

  • Like 1

TS2

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

Minzuno OMOI #2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What would everyone consider the closest performing ball on the market to the MTB-X?

 

  • Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-PW
  • Wedges-  Taylormade Hi Toe 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Bag- 2021 Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like there is a little loophole... it will let me order 2 of the MTB- Black or MTB-X then 2 more of the same in High Numbers... didn't take it all the way to checkout but it let me add to cart anyway so it seems like you can order 4 dozen at least

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2022 at 2:21 PM, russtopherb said:

So yes they are limiting to 2 doz per order (however you can place as many orders as you like). 

4 hours ago, Clutch said:

Seems like there is a little loophole... it will let me order 2 of the MTB- Black or MTB-X then 2 more of the same in High Numbers... didn't take it all the way to checkout but it let me add to cart anyway so it seems like you can order 4 dozen at least

I'm surprised they haven't taken steps to prevent these "loopholes" if they need to ration supplies. No matter as I have about 4 dozen MaxFli Tours and 2 dozen ProV1s to lose use. Regrettably I may not go back to Snell Blacks anyway...

  • Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 7:43 PM, PBH3 said:

What would everyone consider the closest performing ball on the market to the MTB-X?

I personally haven't played it, but on the spec sheet, the Srixon Z-Star Diamond should be reasonably comparable. There aren't many high-compression, 3-piece urethane balls on the market, but I find a significant difference in 3-piece and 4-piece balls, especially off the irons. Most X balls are 4-piece, which may be a little tougher for some (like me) to fully compress on slower swings. In terms of performance profile, there are several firm, mid-trajectory, mid/high-spin balls and you can dig into the 2021 Ball Test results if you really want to go down the rabbit hole 🙂 

  • Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
Fun driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 9.5* with 47" Tensei CK White 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 54* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s, :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago

Ball: Maxfli Tour, ProV1, or TP5x
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed: and Fit for Golf 

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...