I have been carrying a yardage book for about 4 years, now.   I have mapped greens on several of the courses I play frequently.  I *did* purchase a commercial green book for my home course, but it only replaced one I had already made.   You can purchase a circular bubble level on Amazon (maybe $15)  that gives you the slope (1 to 3 degrees in .5 increments), and  shows you the fall line.  I started with just a reading every 3 or 4 paces across the green, and then filled in details or edited as I played and found more/better information.  I also carry a club distance chart -- 1/2, 3/4 and full shot distanced for LW up through 6 iron.   Its useful  to know how far you hit a 1/2 6 iron when you re punching out from under a tree and wondering if you will go front of green, middle, or over, for example.   I also recently started carrying a chipping matrix.   I have percentages of fly vs. roll for up to 40 paces away from the flag and for firm, regular, soft and extra soft greens.  I usually just test what club is 1/2 fly and 1/2 roll during warm up, and that gives me the best indication of the green firmness.   In play:  if you pace 27 steps from the flag to your ball, and assuming you have ample green to work with, this will give you guideline for how far to carry a PW, 9i or 8i on to the green for the appropriate roll out.   Obviously, I adjust for up and down hills (both lie and roll out).  But it's been pretty successful in the first couple of weeks of using it.  Disclosure:  I am 63 and play to around an 8 index.   I don't get that much use for the *fairway* mapping in the usual yardage books.  But then I carry a GPS watch and a laser range finder to cover that part.   

• Like 4

On 4/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, DaveP043 said:

That's just like the one that was recommended by my AimPoint instructor - have used mine on practice greens, not on the course (yet?).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver (Recoil ES 450/F3)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic Max 5W (PX Cypher 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZT9/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

On 4/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

And I pulled the trigger on the PuttView book

Interesting that they sell a book *without* the green slopes .. I mean, it's even in the name PuttView ... 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2022 at 2:24 PM, Lacassem said:

I was debating on doing this. Has anyone ordered printed yardage books from https://store.golflogix.com/collections/US_massachusetts?sort_by=title-ascending&utm_source=2021 Green Books Home Page - Slide 1 - Shop Now&utm_medium=2021 Green Books Home Page - Slide 1 - Shop Now&utm_campaign=2021 Green Books Home Page - Slide 1 - Shop Now

Was looking at doing this specifically for tournaments where I am not familiar with the course.

So I had bought a GolfLogix printed book last year - we'd joined a new course that has 3 x 9s and I felt like it helped me 'learn my way around', check distances off the tee and to hazards, etc. The greens side of the pages offer two views - both overlaid atop topo contours and using 5 yd gridlines - one's a heat map and the other is white with smaller, closer arrows to show you the direction of the slope at all points on the green. A lot of useful info but me being me used it less and less over time...

I'd also look at the PuttView books .. similar but a little different .. to see which presentation you prefer.

Oh, PS:
We're at a different course this year but didn't buy a book for it; have been looking at both Google Earth and provisualizer.com (thx @cnosil!) to look at lines and distances off the tee - but, of course, neither of those otherwise excellent tools has golf course green mappings.

• Like 3

I just received a Strakaline book for my home course yesterday. Played this morning using it and really liked the green details.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour