Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

UST Recoil Dart 75 R Flex v.s. Steel Fiber i70 A flex v.s. USS MMT 60g A Flex

azstu324

I'm building a set of clubs for my dad and am currently sourcing some shafts to by while waiting for the heads to be released for public sale.  I'll be setting him up with Maltby's new KE4 MAX SGI heads. Currently he plays a 75g R flex graphite shaft made by Maltby. The flex plays a hair softer than stated and is a mid to high launch profile. Basically he's been used to playing a firm A to soft R for the past year and he really likes the feel. 

I've "got a guy" who has a bunch of shaft pull sets and the 3 listed in the title are what I am guessing will best suite my pops. He's 71 and has an avg. driver head speed between 85-90 MPH. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with any of them. I'm leaning toward the Recoils or MMT's but don't want to rule out the Steelfibers. 

If anybody can drop some knowledge on any of these or even possible comparison opinions that would be greatly appreciated! 

BTW, these are the heads that should be released in the next month or so. They have an interchangeable toe weight for SW adjustment. At $30/head and $100 for the shafts, this should shape up to be a really solid build for a hell of a price! 

image.png.edc9377865adf555e40c0c0ee0bc3b4c.png

image.png.dc1ff64653b980e1c964de7681a29149.png image.png.375e5c183cf8ef3835dcd6e2d8d22332.png

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Well it just so happens....... I'm 66, very average recreational player (but taking lessons and practicing and exercising and working to improve!) with what I guess is an average swing speed - don't know the SS number but driver goes anywhere from 200 (thin hit) to 235 (more solid hit) and trying to bump that up with improving technique. My 7i is my approx 150ish club depending on the day 😉

And in irons... I've played Recoils in the past and actually have them now in my hybrids, and also in a B21 driver. My current irons are 0211s with the MMT 60g A flex in them. My previous irons were also 0211s with MMT 70g Regular but - even though I'm in very good shape for my age - I felt like I was working a little harder than I needed to in order to swing them nicely, so I ordered a new set with the shafts tipped 1/4" (on the recommendation of the PXG customer service "fitter" over the phone).

Well I am very happy with this combo. For me, the shaft feels smooth yet responsive at the same time and with just a bit of a kick at impact. I get a nice high launch with what I *think* (no LM) are appropriate spin numbers. My guess is that the overall profile of the MMT vs the Recoil - *IN GENERAL* - are pretty close.

But as you know, depending on your father's tempo, clubhead delivery, blah blah blah the 70g/R could be a better fit .. but again, in my experience, the 60g/A is just easier to handle and to hit with multiple times per round.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've got PXG hybrids with the MMT 60 A flex shafts and built my PXG 0211 irons with, you guessed it, Recoil shafts.  I suspect  your dad and I would have a similar profile in terms of swing speed, etc. 

I honestly can't discern a great deal of distance between the feel and performance of the two shafts.  If it were me building the set for someone I'd feel very comfortable with either of those two shafts.

I've played around with the Steelfiber shafts in the past and prefer the MMT and Recoil shafts hands down.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

On 4/15/2022 at 4:42 AM, Bobbers said:

I've played around with the Steelfiber shafts in the past and prefer the MMT and Recoil shafts hands down.

I'm not in the "senior swing speed" (yet) and was recently fitted for and playing the MMT80R on my ZX5's.  So, while not apples to apples for your Dad's swing speed, I just wanted to say that I found the comparable SF's quite cue stick like - and I tested them twice at two fittings months apart.  A very close second to the MMT's were the Recoil Smacwrap ES780.  From everything I've read, the SF's tend to fall more into the love or hate them category than most other offerings... just my .02 cents.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My driver swing speed is in the mid to high 80s and 7 iron is 75 to 78.  I have a set of PXGs with the senior flex MMT and find them to be a good fit. I tried the Darts in a senior flex and also liked them. Very similar feel. I would be happy with either one. Unless he has a hard transition or very fast tempo, I would think either one in senior flex would work. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Word on the street is the Steel Fibers play stiffer than expected/stated. I am looking at a set of Maltby DBM Forged heads with the Recoil shaft.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

51 minutes ago, Titleist87 said:

Word on the street is the Steel Fibers play stiffer than expected/stated. I am looking at a set of Maltby DBM Forged heads with the Recoil shaft.

That's what I've been reading. I think for that reason, I'm going to steer clear of the SF's. I'm just not sure if he has the consistency that the SF's might require. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Thank you all for your responses/help. I just learned from my guy that the MMT's are 1" shorter than standard (whatever standard really is) but that's not going to work for him. I'm not in a major hurry so I'm going to wait to see if he gets in any more MMT's or others in the Recoil line but I think those 2 are going to be what I'm leaning toward in A flex. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 minute ago, azstu324 said:

That's what I've been reading. I think for that reason, I'm going to steer clear of the SF's. I'm just not sure if he has the consistency that the SF's might require. 

I think that's wise. My TrueSpec fitter told me the SF's seem to fit best with players having higher swing speeds and coming from heavier steel shafts. He said their niche is being about as close to steel shafts as the current industry offerings get. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm 71 and hit Ping i500's with UST Recoil 780 F3 shafts. Max distance on a 7 iron is 155yds and driver swing speed is low to mid 80's with 230yds max distance. I play with 70 yr old's who are 30 yds behind me with a driver and use a 5H for a 130 yd shot! Others who are 10-15 yds longer than me. Get your dad fit and with some base numbers so you get the correct shaft and heads to fit his game.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

For what it is worth> Is he seriously bent on Golf or does enjoy getting out with his Buds??

Since I'm just over his age & know within 2-3 yrs I'll have to look at SR.  Flex & I have just moved to R Graphite Shafts as per Fitter's recommendation.

Also, playing Back Tees are in the past; now. & but still think I'm a "Jock". [Too Funny!!]

24 minutes ago, billybogey said:

For what it is worth> Is he seriously bent on Golf or does enjoy getting out with his Buds??

Since I'm just over his age & know within 2-3 yrs I'll have to look at SR.  Flex & I have just moved to R Graphite Shafts as per Fitter's recommendation.

Also, playing Back Tees are in the past; now. & but still think I'm a "Jock". [Too Funny!!]

So the single answer to these questions is "YES" 😛. So my dad's situation is like this, I'm really his 1 golf buddy. Luckily, we're making up for a LOT of time that we didn't get to spend when I was a teen and he was traveling for work. We golf almost weekly and it's always been the 1 thing that we've been able to connect on and it's bringing us together more now then ever. He's trying to convince himself that a better life waits on the other side of retirement which I hope is soon (he owns his own company) and he plans to play as much as he can but just wants to improve as much as possible before that time comes. I'm playing at around a 6 hdcp and he just wants to keep up with me for as long as he can and I'm doing everything that I know to keep him enjoying the game. Note: I won't let him play from the tips. As much as his pride wants to, I'm the boss on the golf course and just won't allow it. I play the tips with my buddies or by myself but he just doesn't have the stamina and unfortunately I have to remind him of that. I've become his coach/mentor in golf and he's serious about getting better but he's not mental about it like I am. We go to the range and I help him with his varying skills like a coach would and then we take it all to the course. It's an interesting role reversal that we have going on here 😜 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Something to think about; if your dad is strategically “old school”.  Nippon Zelos 6 is a steel shaft at 68g.  Zelos 7 averages 74g. I have tested both of them and dispersement is much better than most graphite I have recently tested.  One big check mark why I haven’t invested in new irons.  Only OEM that offers them even as an upgrade is Taylormade.  I am waiting and talking with Cobra on the release of Tec-x iron set.  Whatever you choose am sure your pops will be ecstatic with new clubs built strictly for him.  

My $0.02.  I've played the MMT 70R shafts in my PXG Gen 3 T irons for the last year.  A friend of mine lent me his Gen 4 ST irons with the Recoil dart 75 F3 flex.  I like them both.  I like the feel of the ST's better, but I cannot tell if this is due to the club head or the shaft.  I spoke with a Club Champion filler and he had no hesitation is saying the MMT is a better shaft.  He said it is much more "stable" --  which I take to men it has lower torque.  He also said he thinks the QC is better with the MMT.  My cousin played the the Recoil Dart 75 F3 and he traded out for the Project X Cypher 60 R.  He likes the Cypher much better.  He feels he is hitting it higher and farther.  At any rate, in a couple weeks I will be hitting the Recoil Dart 75 R, MMT 70 R and Cypher 60 R side be side in the same club head (PXG ST).  It seems like you may have all the info you need to make the decision, but if you want me to come back and post my thoughts just let me know.   At the end of the day, I don't think you can make a bad choice.  I agree with passing on the SF.   By the way, I am 63 and my Dad is 90.  We play a lot of golf together - twice a month.  He still plays 3-4 times a week.  A few years ago, I bought him an XXIO 5 wood (he uses it off the tee) and he still loves it.  Great to mix golf in with our parents, if we can, as we go through the role reversal you mention. 

WITB:  

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 Project X 6.0 55G

PXG 3W 16 degree set to 15 or 5W 18 Riptide CB 5.5 60G

PXG 19 and 22 degree hybrids MMT 70R

PXG 5-W Gen 4 ST irons Recoil Dart 75 F3

PXG 50, 54 MMT 70R and 60 MMT 60A SD wedges

Black Jack putter Stability Tour 

1 hour ago, JFS2 said:

but if you want me to come back and post my thoughts just let me know

That would be awesome! We're probably not going to pull the trigger for a month or so as the heads just in the pre-order phase right now. 

1 hour ago, JFS2 said:

By the way, I am 63 and my Dad is 90.  We play a lot of golf together - twice a month.  He still plays 3-4 times a week.  A few years ago, I bought him an XXIO 5 wood (he uses it off the tee) and he still loves it.  Great to mix golf in with our parents, if we can, as we go through the role reversal you mention. 

In my case, it's interesting how I'm now the one telling him to "cool it", "It's not the clubs fault, so throwing/slamming it just makes you look like a fool", "if you're gonna throw your club, then I'll take it home with me where it will be appreciated", "leave your frustration at your last shot or the rest of your round will suffer and you might as well go home", "look at where you're aiming", etc, etc, etc, etc.. 🤣.. all things that he used to say to me when I was a kid.  

That's awesome that your father is still playing at 90! I played quite a bit with my grandfather on the course where he lived up until he could barely swing a club just a few years before he passed. He taught me some of the greatest lessons I've learned on the course... and possibly some of the worst (like offering to buy me lunch if I hit over his group of buddies that were playing too slow in front of us.. AND dropping a shot on the green while they were putting (will neither confirm or deny doing such things)).. but the stories and memories are there forever!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 4/18/2022 at 8:57 PM, JRSD said:

Something to think about; if your dad is strategically “old school”.  Nippon Zelos 6 is a steel shaft at 68g.  Zelos 7 averages 74g. I have tested both of them and dispersement is much better than most graphite I have recently tested.  One big check mark why I haven’t invested in new irons.  Only OEM that offers them even as an upgrade is Taylormade.  I am waiting and talking with Cobra on the release of Tec-x iron set.  Whatever you choose am sure your pops will be ecstatic with new clubs built strictly for him.  

the big thing at "our" age is the shock absorption qualities of graphite. That was my reason to switch having arthritis in the hands and fingers

I like Recoils in my irons, earlier Nike Vapor Fly, now Ping I 500.  Old fart, 67.  Reg flex up to about 41 inch shaft, then switch to A flex for 3 wood and driver.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃