TESTERS WANTED! ×

The upcoming TM p770/p790 combo thread with bonus MG3 wedge coverage

Sluggo42

Played yesterday, shot pretty good. Shots I liked were

1) 140 yd 8 iron that pretty well dropped and stopped, but missed the birdie

2) 165 yd 6 iron that soared very high 

3) 175 yd 5 iron same

short irons are pretty consistent and just slightly longer than my Hogans, and the 5 and 6 p790’s are very easy to hit. The gapping is really good too. And I’m really loving the Ventus shafts. 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Forgot to mention these clubs are quite forgiving. Todays ballstriking was marginal, but the results were still acceptable. The Hogans wouldn’t have been so kind

I too, have ordered a mixed set of these irons, but different makeup.  8,9,P P770 standard lofts, 4,5,6,7 P790 and I followed the TaylorMade adjustment chart:  6 & 7 2.0 Deg Weak, 5 1.5 Deg Weak and 4 1 Deg Weak. 
I got the P790s, the P770s are a bit delayed, another two weeks until shipping.

Can't wait to hit them all.

EDIT: These are replacing 20+ year old Ping i3 O-Size green dot irons.

Edited by zstokes

Driver:  :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 9* | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

On 5/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, zstokes said:

I too, have ordered a mixed set of these irons, but different makeup.  8,9,P P770 standard lofts, 4,5,6,7 P790 and I followed the TaylorMade adjustment chart:  6 & 7 2.0 Deg Weak, 5 1.5 Deg Weak and 4 1 Deg Weak. 
I got the P790s, the P770s are a bit delayed, another two weeks until shipping.

Can't wait to hit them all.

EDIT: These are replacing 20+ year old Ping i3 O-Size green dot irons.

What shafts did you get?

On 4/16/2022 at 12:54 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I also think a professional fitting has merit, and can certainly put you into a good set, but my personal feeling is that they must also be taken with a grain of salt. I believe there is bias and favoritism even when they say they aren’t. Hopefully you can ind a guy like Ian who understands shaft properties, etc.. But again, that’s my personal opinion…

It's impossible for a fitter not to be BIAS. Some get discount, trip, free clubs from OEM. Also they have information about some OEM that you don't, like customer service, delay, error in the order for their customers. Some OEM offer 1 or 2 no upcharge shaft, others offer 5-6 different shaft, in the end they will tell you it's "X" head with "Y" shaft that seems the best. But "Y" head  is almost as good today as the "X" head. If you go back tomorrow, maybe "Y" head with "X" shaft will be better.

Then it come down to WHAT you want. I know that I need high launch High spin shaft. Every fitter will see it after 5 shot in the bay, they all gonna offer me Game improvement irons with high launch shaft... Which brand the fitter will offer me first... There is the Bias I think. He will go with what he fitted the most similar player to me before...

14 hours ago, Pouetvl11 said:

thanks for the info on the ventus red, think im gonna give them a try eventually

I am really liking them

I am planning on switching to graphite on my next set, not sure when. I have G425 with TT elevate 95 (stiff). Those shaft produce less pain on my left elbow than other heavier shaft when I miss hit the ball. Next step is graphite even if I am under 45 years old. Will get my swing back to more consistency and go try them in the hitting bay with taylormade stealth I think.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:57 PM, Sluggo42 said:

What shafts did you get?

I went True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5 inches longer - I'm 6'2", 1 degree up.  These are the S300 stiffness....I don't have a super high club head speed.
I hope to hit them this evening.

Edited by zstokes

Driver:  :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 9* | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t posted for a few rounds, but thought I’d post again. I am liking these irons more and more, the more I play them. They just feel good, are very accurate, and consistency in distance is very good. They are still forgiving.

Turf interaction is really good too, not sticky at all. Grips are also sweet. I think they are perfect for that 3-10 index, and would suggest a full set of p790’s for the next bracket of index. The p770’s are a smaller head that suits my eye very well, but still gives the benefits of the hollow tech head.

Do you notice much of a difference in feel between the 7i and the 8i where they remove the tungsten and the "power slot" or whatever that is called? I go from 770 7i to P7MC 8i so I couldn't say, but do notice a real difference between my 7 & 8 so was curious.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 5/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, hartrick11 said:

Do you notice much of a difference in feel between the 7i and the 8i where they remove the tungsten and the "power slot" or whatever that is called? I go from 770 7i to P7MC 8i so I couldn't say, but do notice a real difference between my 7 & 8 so was curious.

No, I wasn’t aware they remove the tungsten, I thought it was just the “power slot”. I don’t really even notice the change from the p770, to the p790 at the 6 iron. We are kinda opposite sides of the fence, and you’re in the PtxPro makeup going to the icons like I used to use, although the p7mc isn’t the blade- but… still the same concept-

I think my set up is basically one step easier to hit, and maybe I should say one step more forgiving to hit. But being on the steep side of my 60’s, the more prudent clubs to hit

I believe on the P770s there is a "Tungsten" written on the back of the club head up through the 7i and then it is not on 8-AW. Interesting that you didn't notice a difference in feel - that is a good sign!

Part of why I did MCs in 8-P was launch angle. I was launching the 770s a bit on the high side (not crazy or unplayable, but higher than ideal) even though the shaft was a perfect fit otherwise, and the MC brought it down into the right window. The fitter actually suggested I break the combo to include the 7i in MC from a launch perspective (and on the simulator I tend to look much more like a 4 handicap than my actual 8 😁), but being "prudent" as you say, I wanted the extra forgiveness in that one since it does have the tungsten helping, and can live with the occasional shot that goes a bit too high into a wind when I am getting more forgiveness on the vast majority of shots.

I reckon the difference in forgiveness between 770 and MC in 8i and up (down?) is still noticeable due to size & construction differences, but a lot less than the difference in the longer clubs that have up to 46g of tungsten. Obviously every iron decision has trade offs, but for me, in my scoring clubs the launch and feel won out.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H