TESTERS WANTED! ×

When do YOU upgrade?

JubJub2020

I'm looking around for a new driver and it got me thinking what type of distance gain do you personally have to have to justify the purchase?

Thanks!

Titleist 917 D2 8.5*/Diamana Whiteboard 70S

Titleist 913D 15*/Diamana 72S

TM TP Rescue 19* TP Shaft S /TM GAPR 24* KBS Hybrid 80S 

Callaway X-Forged 2013 4-W/PX Flighted 6.0 

SM7  52*/PX 6.0

Callaway MD 56*/TT S200

SM7 60*/PX 6.0

Odyssey OG #1 

12 minutes ago, JubJub2020 said:

I'm looking around for a new driver and it got me thinking what type of distance gain do you personally have to have to justify the purchase?

Thanks!

Honestly it isn't so much distance but consistency. I have found newer drivers are simply more consistent in providing my average numbers and better on poor strikes. As a whole that's what I look for vs pure distance. 

Also spin consistency. That is huge for me because I've noticed there are several that dramatically increase in spin in certain spots which kills my distance.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, JubJub2020 said:

Thanks!

I'm going through the same decision making process. Do I need a new driver, a different shaft for the 410, lessons or just plain speed training - or all four. The current drive dispersion is ok, but I am concerned about spin numbers since they're in the high 3,000's and is that taking away from distance. So I'm headed for a fitting in May with my well worn 410 SFT. If I get more distance with new drivers (based on trackman data) then lessons and speed training is just frosting on the cake. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Honestly it isn't so much distance but consistency. I have found newer drivers are simply more consistent in providing my average numbers and better on poor strikes. As a whole that's what I look for vs pure distance. 

Also spin consistency. That is huge for me because I've noticed there are several that dramatically increase in spin in certain spots which kills my distance.

I must agree with you; for me consistency is of prime importance.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I just purchased new irons, and my first brand new golf equipment in over 10 years. I've consistently purchased used mainly because I haven't been in a place financially to buy new. After last season I knew I wanted to get custom fit for irons so I saved throughout the year. So for me it was a money thing. I was pretty sure I could upgrade anything in my bag and see some sort of gain if I went with new custom fit, but if the money wasn't there I just didn't do it. That said I did gain about a club of distance throughout the set. So that was nice. 

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

When I got my new driver last year the distance gains were nominal, but the consistency and dispersion were a a significant improvement over the 7 year old technology of my old driver.   

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I'm with @Kenny B ... I have no specific criteria.  It's more of a "I think it's time...." 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Whenever I have the itch for something new or something different.

It’s most just about distance but how is that distance being achieved. And it’s not total distance I look at because the varies too much from course to course and weather. I look at carry distance because that travels to every course.

Am I getting more launch and less spin. If so is the spin too low thus possibly being unplayable on The course or i mishit the ball. 

Is spin and launch causing the ball to fly lower and shorter but giving me more roll out. As mentioned above that’s going to be a no go.

Is it coming from more ball speed while spin, launch and other characteristics are remaining relatively the same. 

If I’m getting a couple miles more ball speed and not affecting launch characteristics and the driver both looks and sounds good then it’s an easy buy.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For an upgrade, I’m not just looking at distance. For me the most important aspect is dispersion and helping me lower scores. The forgiveness on the current driver I. Playing, rogue triple diamond, was significantly more forgiving across the face than the original sim max driver I was playing prior. I have found more fairways or been right off the fairway and my strokes gained in arccos for driving has gone up. I think my max distance is very similar with my previous sim max but I am hitting consistently more good drives with this new head. Same shaft in both for me. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

On 4/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, JubJub2020 said:

Thanks!

I just replaced a 10 year old Nike VR Pro.  For me it was as many have stated "just time".  In 10 years the technology has improved.  I have gained some yards, and it has a better feel.  That being said I personally don't believe all the hype of driver "technology" year to year.  I will likely hit this one for another 7-10 years until I decide that perhaps the technology "really" may have improved, and at that time I will do what I did this time, purchase a 1-2 year old model for half the price of this years model.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 4/17/2022 at 6:29 AM, JubJub2020 said:

Thanks!

For me: 20 yards, no change in dispersion.  I have a standing offer... when I try out a new driver at a demo day or otherwise I've always said, "If this driver out-distances my current driver by 20 yards, consistently, I'll buy it, no matter the cost."

Last year I bought 5 driver heads and 6 driver shafts... tried all the combos.  I did 3 demo days with 3 major brands.  Still nothing beats my 12 year old driver.  When I bought it for $400 it gave me an extra 25 yards.  First club I've ever bought that lived up to the hype.  It's still in the bag.

DRIVER:     Rogue 10.5 degree

3 WOOD:     Mavrik Max 15.0 degree

21 DEGREE HYBRID:     Titleist 909H

IRONS:     Callaway XR Pros  5 - PW

GAP WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  48 degree

SAND WEDGE:   Titleist Vokey  54 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  56 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  60 degree

PUTTER:     Odyssey Black #7

BALL:       Titleist Pro V1  

Like some others, I buy when I want a change, probably about 5-7 years. I’d like more consistency but it’s not the club that’s causing inconsistency. More distance wouldn’t push me to buy a new driver, and I’d think a 20 yard improvement isn’t in the cards for 90% of players. Only those with really old equipment/tech and/or somehow grossly misfit are going to see 20 yards. My current set is from 2017, and I’m waiting to see the next Gen of Titleist drivers this Fall - we’ll see. I haven’t liked my Rogue driver for quite a while, but I’m in no hurry. New clubs won’t make much if any difference in my scores.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Driver & Woods Try for every 4 yrs. Irons every 5 yrs. Wedges every 3 yrs. , Putter lasts longer than Wife!!

Probably, should cut a year off each. Kind of got Mindset to keep around as long as Buddies whine!!

But, know requires a year to Warm-up, another to play Good & by 3rd year have stopped listening.!!

For some guys it's putters, others wedges, others irons - for me it's drivers - when I feel like it which is about twice a year.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

One recent anecdote.  Went to fitting that compared 2017 GBB Epic to 2022 Rogue. Trackman Carry and Distance same, slight spin differences. Worse contact on 2022 gave nearly same carry and distance, not so for 2017.  Tough to justify personal error as only difference - in past would have purchased new club.                      

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

I am also in to consistency. I have been golfing since 1981. I started with wood woods and tommy armour irons. I am 69 and still hit my clubs the same distance. I have never really had a distance gain but each new iteration that I try gets the ball out to about the same spot on the courses I have been playing the last 20 years. Just somewhat straighter each time. So I guess if I suddenly drop off 10 or 15 yards I am going to go get fit.

BTW, never really believed in the "20" yard gain as I have never seen it happen. However, I replaced my wife's senior shaft Ping 400 with a regular shaft Epic speed driver and bingo, easily 20 more yards. I was astounded. She is a happy camper. 

If I could just do that...

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

26 minutes ago, Beakbryce said:

BTW, never really believed in the "20" yard gain as I have never seen it happen. However, I replaced my wife's senior shaft Ping 400 with a regular shaft Epic speed driver and bingo, easily 20 more yards. I was astounded. She is a happy camper. 

+1. I’ve only seen a 20 yard driver gain once. Guy I play with regularly sold his 20-30 year old PING set and bought a full set of Mavriks. He definitely picked up 20 yards with his driver. He also gained distance with his Mavrik Max irons, but the lofts were 2-3 clubs stronger, so he probably didn’t really gain distance with his irons. He wasn’t fit for either set. And his scores haven’t improved at all…but he’s happier hitting longer drives. He kept his way old PING beryllium wedge, probably has no working grooves at all.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I have been a serial club changer since I started playing again last year, trying to find the best club for me. Some worked some didn't but as my game has improved I've been able to figure out what I actually want each club to do.

Most of my purchases have been off eBay as there isn't much available to try in LH local to me - my thinking was that if I buy used I could sell on for the same if it didn't work out. 

I found a good 15-20 yards (possibly close to 30-40 on a perfect hit) going from a Cobra F6 to a new RadSpeed.

Not necessarily due to the head performing better but the RS 'looks' better to my eye and that gives me more confidence over the ball so I feel like I swing it better. Had a driver lesson with our pro and tweaked the settings which also improved launch & spin numbers.

Edited by DStar

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

With today's technology, look for tighter dispersion, from a better shaft, and not more yards on your perfect shots.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

With today's technology, look for tighter dispersion, from a better shaft, and not more yards on your perfect shots.

While I agree, easier said than done for many players. The difference in dispersion of the club alone is (much) smaller than the variation due to the players swing alone for a majority of players. Add randomness from groupings for comparison and it can be almost impossible, and most fitters aren’t qualified to sort it all out.

Don’t believe it? Go hit 20 balls on a launch monitor, and consider every 4 shots as a group. Compare the 5 groups. Are they all the same? Is there one that appears better than the other 4 groups? All with the same players, same club. Now imagine a fitting with #0 shots, only now with 5 different heads and/or shafts for each group of 4. Though one will undoubtedly seem to provide tighter dispersion, it may be random chance. That’s CC’s standard method…

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Unless a bad fit a shaft isn’t going to improve dispersion on its own. Shafts are going to provide weight in the club and give the golfer feel. It may be good, bad or indifference in feel from shaft to shaft. The weight and feel are going to affect the swing dynamics of a person and the combo of head and shaft that optimized ball fight characteristics for the golfer is going to give them a chance to reduce the I’ll affects of their bad shots while getting the most out of their good ones

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I upgrade / change equipment if what I have doesnt fit me anymore, I had a g410 SFT(anti slice) but I was no longer slicing the ball so I needed a change, went for the most forgiving club during my fitting, was trying to hit poorly to see the numbers and ended up with a G425 max, 2 game in, already saved 20$ in ball not lost, distance is "ok", dispersion is "decent", forgiveness is at "max". In the last showdown between the last 2 drivers, it was a choice between 10 yards longer but my miss would go hard left (25yards and more) or 10 yards shorter but my miss would stay within 20 yard of the center line.. I took the safest bet, might upgrade the shaft eventually if it doesn't perform as expected during the season.

I have gone into a fitting telling myself I will only buy exactly what the numbers tell me to & I've gotten the prettiest looking club off the rack.  And honestly I havent found that the results have been that much different.

Currently I have a shaft that I have found to fit me well and lucky for me it is only about $50-75 so I bought a few and put a couple different adapters on them so I can try different heads every now and then.  Pretty unscientific way to get fitted but I almost think its more about confidence in your club than anything else.

Edited by DeBartola_B
Incomplete Post

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, tony@CIC said:

I'm going through the same decision making process. Do I need a new driver, a different shaft for the 410, lessons or just plain speed training - or all four. The current drive dispersion is ok, but I am concerned about spin numbers since they're in the high 3,000's and is that taking away from distance. So I'm headed for a fitting in May with my well worn 410 SFT. If I get more distance with new drivers (based on trackman data) then lessons and speed training is just frosting on the cake. 

I have a g410 SFT, and I love it. Spend a lot of time in the fairway. When I was being fitted, I could have gone with the TM Sim, as it was noticeably longer, but also with more dispersion. Also, could not get past the "bling" on top of the driver head. Never could see past anything but black on a driver head. Remember the TM driver that was white? Not for me! Ball color does not bother me,(yellow, green, red)but having a muted black driver is a must. My g410 was 20 yards shorter than the Sim, but only had a dispersion of 10 yards either way off center. My fitter said it was my ball, that was making me shorter, which was the Cally SS at that time. I was hitting both clubs with the same ball? Now, I'm playing the Top Flite Hammer Control, with good distance, and good manners around the greens. Not a tour ball guy...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I usually start looking around every 2 years or so "just because". I don't expect much distance increase anymore but I always look for more draw bias to counteract my fade/slice tendencies.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

On 4/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unless a bad fit a shaft isn’t going to improve dispersion on its own. Shafts are going to provide weight in the club and give the golfer feel. It may be good, bad or indifference in feel from shaft to shaft. The weight and feel are going to affect the swing dynamics of a person and the combo of head and shaft that optimized ball fight characteristics for the golfer is going to give them a chance to reduce the I’ll affects of their bad shots while getting the most out of their good ones

So... you are saying that the shaft is not really all that important? I have always used a "stiff" shaft in any manufacturer's offering for irons and driver. I know that is widely flexible among shaft manufacturers.

I guess what I'm asking is: what is so important about getting fit for a particular shaft if it really isn't that important?... or is it... and I'm just not getting it?

Edited by silver & black

7 minutes ago, silver & black said:

So... you are saying that the shaft is not really all that important? I have always used a "stiff" shaft in any manufacturer's offering for irons and driver. I know that is widely flexible among shaft manufacturers.

I guess what I'm asking is: what is so important about getting fit for a particular shaft if it really isn't that important?... or is it... and I'm just not getting it?

It’s not as important as people think. People want a shaft to reduce or add spin or launch for them and shafts dont launch or spin. 

With irons one could probably shaft with shaft and then fit that into a head and be fine, but with woods and hybrids the head loft and for some face angle and cg placement will determine the launch characteristics and then the shaft is used to tweak the ball flight.

Shafts do two things. They provide weight and the feel of a club. If the balance of the club is off or the feel of the shaft isn’t something the golfer likes it will affect their swing. The fitter is going to find a shaft that feels good to the golfer and paired with the right head produces the best optimized ball flight and allow the golfer to not fight the clubs