When do YOU upgrade?

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

With today's technology, look for tighter dispersion, from a better shaft, and not more yards on your perfect shots.

While I agree, easier said than done for many players. The difference in dispersion of the club alone is (much) smaller than the variation due to the players swing alone for a majority of players. Add randomness from groupings for comparison and it can be almost impossible, and most fitters aren’t qualified to sort it all out.

Don’t believe it? Go hit 20 balls on a launch monitor, and consider every 4 shots as a group. Compare the 5 groups. Are they all the same? Is there one that appears better than the other 4 groups? All with the same players, same club. Now imagine a fitting with #0 shots, only now with 5 different heads and/or shafts for each group of 4. Though one will undoubtedly seem to provide tighter dispersion, it may be random chance. That’s CC’s standard method…

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

With today's technology, look for tighter dispersion, from a better shaft, and not more yards on your perfect shots.

Unless a bad fit a shaft isn’t going to improve dispersion on its own. Shafts are going to provide weight in the club and give the golfer feel. It may be good, bad or indifference in feel from shaft to shaft. The weight and feel are going to affect the swing dynamics of a person and the combo of head and shaft that optimized ball fight characteristics for the golfer is going to give them a chance to reduce the I’ll affects of their bad shots while getting the most out of their good ones

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I upgrade / change equipment if what I have doesnt fit me anymore, I had a g410 SFT(anti slice) but I was no longer slicing the ball so I needed a change, went for the most forgiving club during my fitting, was trying to hit poorly to see the numbers and ended up with a G425 max, 2 game in, already saved 20$ in ball not lost, distance is "ok", dispersion is "decent", forgiveness is at "max". In the last showdown between the last 2 drivers, it was a choice between 10 yards longer but my miss would go hard left (25yards and more) or 10 yards shorter but my miss would stay within 20 yard of the center line.. I took the safest bet, might upgrade the shaft eventually if it doesn't perform as expected during the season.

Posted (edited)

I have gone into a fitting telling myself I will only buy exactly what the numbers tell me to & I've gotten the prettiest looking club off the rack.  And honestly I havent found that the results have been that much different.

Currently I have a shaft that I have found to fit me well and lucky for me it is only about $50-75 so I bought a few and put a couple different adapters on them so I can try different heads every now and then.  Pretty unscientific way to get fitted but I almost think its more about confidence in your club than anything else.

Edited by DeBartola_B
Incomplete Post

Driver - Cobra SZ 8* Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

3W - Cobra SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

3H - Tour Edge 21* 3H Tour AD DH-95x

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, tony@CIC said:

I'm going through the same decision making process. Do I need a new driver, a different shaft for the 410, lessons or just plain speed training - or all four. The current drive dispersion is ok, but I am concerned about spin numbers since they're in the high 3,000's and is that taking away from distance. So I'm headed for a fitting in May with my well worn 410 SFT. If I get more distance with new drivers (based on trackman data) then lessons and speed training is just frosting on the cake. 

I have a g410 SFT, and I love it. Spend a lot of time in the fairway. When I was being fitted, I could have gone with the TM Sim, as it was noticeably longer, but also with more dispersion. Also, could not get past the "bling" on top of the driver head. Never could see past anything but black on a driver head. Remember the TM driver that was white? Not for me! Ball color does not bother me,(yellow, green, red)but having a muted black driver is a must. My g410 was 20 yards shorter than the Sim, but only had a dispersion of 10 yards either way off center. My fitter said it was my ball, that was making me shorter, which was the Cally SS at that time. I was hitting both clubs with the same ball? Now, I'm playing the Top Flite Hammer Control, with good distance, and good manners around the greens. Not a tour ball guy...

• Like 1

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I usually start looking around every 2 years or so "just because". I don't expect much distance increase anymore but I always look for more draw bias to counteract my fade/slice tendencies.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unless a bad fit a shaft isn’t going to improve dispersion on its own. Shafts are going to provide weight in the club and give the golfer feel. It may be good, bad or indifference in feel from shaft to shaft. The weight and feel are going to affect the swing dynamics of a person and the combo of head and shaft that optimized ball fight characteristics for the golfer is going to give them a chance to reduce the I’ll affects of their bad shots while getting the most out of their good ones

So... you are saying that the shaft is not really all that important? I have always used a "stiff" shaft in any manufacturer's offering for irons and driver. I know that is widely flexible among shaft manufacturers.

I guess what I'm asking is: what is so important about getting fit for a particular shaft if it really isn't that important?... or is it... and I'm just not getting it?

Edited by silver & black

7 minutes ago, silver & black said:

So... you are saying that the shaft is not really all that important? I have always used a "stiff" shaft in any manufacturer's offering for irons and driver. I know that is widely flexible among shaft manufacturers.

I guess what I'm asking is: what is so important about getting fit for a particular shaft if it really isn't that important?... or is it... and I'm just not getting it?

It’s not as important as people think. People want a shaft to reduce or add spin or launch for them and shafts dont launch or spin. 

With irons one could probably shaft with shaft and then fit that into a head and be fine, but with woods and hybrids the head loft and for some face angle and cg placement will determine the launch characteristics and then the shaft is used to tweak the ball flight.

Shafts do two things. They provide weight and the feel of a club. If the balance of the club is off or the feel of the shaft isn’t something the golfer likes it will affect their swing. The fitter is going to find a shaft that feels good to the golfer and paired with the right head produces the best optimized ball flight and allow the golfer to not fight the clubs 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1