TESTERS WANTED! ×

"New" Titleist Velocity Golf Ball?

RoverRick

In the summer of 2010, I signed up with "Team Titleist". That is a forum simular to this except it is on Titleist.com and everyone there has to drink the Titleist Koolaid, which I proudly do. See what is in my bag. I was able to participate in a golf ball testing program. The 2011 Pro V1's were to come out the next February and I thought I was getting to participate in testing that.

In September, I recieved a sleeve of 3 golf balls, and testing instructions. The balls were in a plain white sleeve and had TEST on the AIM line. I decided to create my own test sheet as the Titleist instructions did not take in as much data as I wanted.

My plan was to go out and make as perfect a swing as I could everytime and keep detailed notes of the distance the ball traveled with each club and how far I was from the hole after each shot both in terms of distance and direction. That was with all of the clubs from the driver to putter. I only had three golf balls so I also wanted to not lose any. Right away I knew that this was a different golf ball. It traveled, I promise, 9 to 15 yards further with the driver and a half of club more on the irons. However, it did run out 10-15 feet more on the greens than a Pro V1, but it seemed to putt better than a Pro V1 also.

I went out the next two days and did it again. I played with the same ball 35 holes before washing it in the lake, forever. On the third day, I went out and shot the lowest score of my life including a hole out for eagle on with a 155 yard iron shot. The girl's golf team was standing under a tree letting me play through and I eagled. Anyway, after the third day I had accumulated enough data so that I could draw a conclusion on the ball. But when I total my score for the third day I had a 67.

My conclusion was it was a very very nice golf ball, distance and accuracy were the best I have ever used. The feel of the golf ball was nice and soft, both of the full shots and the putter. The durability of the ball was also nice. I still have two of these balls one still new, and one with 19 holes on it. The 19 holer is still in excellent playable condition. My only complaint was the partial shot spin. At the time, I was a "fly it to the hole and stop" player so this was a deal breaker for me. Now, I could play that ball just fine. I told Titleist that if this was a replacement for the Pro V1x I would be playing Bridgestone or Nike because I like my spin, Pro V1x spins better for me than Pro V1. But if this was a replacement for the NXT or something I might play that.

I just got an email from Titleist and by comparing the dimple paterns and other information on the ball, I now know that I tested the Titleist Velocity. Or at least a variant of it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything on the market that you would compare it to? What did you like/dislike the most about it? Being in Ohio, I usually switch between balls depending on the time of year. Ex: Srix AD333 in the spring and fall and then ZStarXV during the middle of the season once it gets warmer. Would this be a better choice in the early part of the year?

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I thought it was a really hot version of the NXT. It did everything well but spin on the green. It was much like the Callaway Diablo. I understand they may have several of those out now, but it did not spin like a Pro V1. Since I thought I was testing a Pro V1 variation, I did not like it. I said that to Titleist and of course they knew what they had sent, but if it were a NXT or something that you know will not spin, I loved it. But if it were the new Pro V1, I hated it. I now know it was neither. But I did like it.

I play on a course where the greens are very small. Five greens are less than 40 feet in diameter. The others are maybe 40 x 60. So it does not take much to be short sided. I want a lot of spin.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I play on a course where the greens are very small. Five greens are less than 40 feet in diameter. The others are maybe 40 x 60. So it does not take much to be short sided. I want a lot of spin.

Same thing around here, which is why I play a "tour" ball. I was very intrigued by the Velocity when I saw it in the newest Golfsmith magazine. I will definitely try it out in the spring; it might be a good wet conditions ball.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see these are in, I plan to give them a try after reading a couple positive reviews. I don't spin the ball much anyway and am tired of losing distance so it might be time to switch!

At my facility we have had these for sale for quite some time now and I've asked people who have purchased them what they have thought of the ball. Not one has said that it is their new favorite. I've actually had some players say they've lost distance. Others said they're garbage around the greens. One guy said it reminded him of the HX Hot Bite ball from Callaway. Take it for what you will. Also remember, people won't come in after the round and thank you for anything, so that could be why I didn't have anyone come in and say, "Wow! That new velocity is fantastic!" Ya know what I mean?

i havent sold any of these since they came in. another of my co workers say these are good if u like hitting rocks. i dont knw how true is that. i dont mind a couple extra yards so taht i can join the 300 yard club but not at the cost of having more 20footers to deal with

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I bought a sleeve this weekend and managed to get in a whopping seven holes before getting rained (lightning'd) out. Thought it performed quite well, although I made some swing changes that may have influenced things. I plan to give it more of a workout, maybe side-by-side with my usual ball the E6, at some point.

Archived