Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ball Striking Inconsistencies - Help Please

The past few year, I've been able to drive my handicap down from 15+ to 5.6. I find that having a home sim setup allows me to keep warm in the winter which has been really nice. I really do want to get down to a scratch level of golf. I've never broken par on an 18-hole round. The issue I've been finding to be holding me back the most is ball striking consistency. Here's the situation:

1. My mental game has been excellent and allowed me to keep scores under 80 by maximizing scoring opportunities and playing smart golf.
  2. The worst part of my game is actually approaching the green. I was fit for irons and am thrilled with my current setup. The real issue is ball striking.
  3. Day-to-day, I find I strike the ball from the toe one day, the heel the next, thin another day and occasionally fat.

What's the best drill you've used to get more consistent? I've tried a few things, but I won't list them here in case someone else stumbles upon this thread looking for even the most basic drills.

• Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M
  • My Putter: image.png.dce9f23e6ed6368fab8361d0c072c157.png B.2, LA Golf Shaft
  • Ball: image.png.0ca81de9028caab738d4428af820440f.png AVX
  • 5.3 Handicapped; Right Hander; from Salt Lake City, Utah

I don't have a drill per say, but one thing my instructor has mentioned is to just simplify things when stuff starts going awry. If you're hitting the toe, try hitting the heel, etc. 

That being said, I'm in a very similar situation, having gone from 20+ to ~7 to ~9 depending on if I string a few rounds together. I don't know if scratch is in my future because of where I play (both region - weather - and course - weak rating and slope), but I'd love to get to a five this season. To do so I'd need to shoot +3 or better 8/20 rounds at my home course after only doing that four times last season in total.

I've come to terms that there is never going to be a moment where I'm not needing to make some change in a feel or focus to play my best. I had always hoped I'd get to a point where the swing would just be "natural," and I'd just go out and play, but for me I need to be very conscious of things or else it falls apart very quickly. Now, a lot of that is just making sure the fundamentals are good, but I'm never without some sort of thought. Some days are more autopilot than others, but there's always a thought.

Not sure if that helps, but I definitely feel as though I'm in the same boat.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I have similar issues and approach is my weakness due to old age lack of distance.  This past winter I spent a lot of time in my hitting bay working on better ball striking.  It was not one day it's this and the next day it's that, but I could hit 20 balls of this and then 20 more balls of that.  On course, I would play well for a while then hit a horrible shot; I didn't know which shot would show up at any given moment.  However, I will say that overall I'm better now than I was last year at this time. 

The difference for me is a coach who pointed out some setup and swing issues.  I spent more time on these all winter (more time than actual playing); hitting half shots with 7i and PW trying to groove my backswing and transition feels.  I also have to  give credit to the Tour Striker PlaneMate which helped change impact position.  I eliminated the heel shots which always frustrated me more than anything else.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’ll reference Adam Young for my response.   Adam advocates working to be able to hit the ball off the toe, heel, and center of the face.  I tried to do a quick search but couldn’t find his video but you work at intentionally hitting balls of those locations which helps you understand how to adjust your swing if you on the course and start experiencing heel ,or toe strikes and how to hit the center more consistently 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Best drill is having a qualified instructor look at your swing and let them identify what you need. On a basic level you lose control of the face. You need to identify what’s causing it.

Something as simple as working on the swing with an alignment stick connected to/inserted into the club and placed on trail hit and working on takeaway, wrist set, backswing. 

It could be that you have out of sequenced swing and your compensations vary from day to day.

The honest truth is what drill works for one won’t for someone else

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

First, Obligatory certified golf instructor knows best. Find an instructor that is very knowledgeable but in my opinion more importantly find an instructor that explains the issue he or she identifies as well as how to correct the issue in a way that you understand.

Now for what has always helped me with ball striking:

I don't remember where I saw or heard this but it has stuck. Have a simple image in your head of your iron hitting the ball, specifically of the leading edge acting as a wedge (the tool, not the club) between the ball and the ground at impact. This can be used at the range without concern for where the ball goes to work on strike and also utilized during your round as a regular swing thought.

As for the heel to toe strike issue, recently I heard of this tip:

At setup, place your club face with the ball in the center. Then move the club forward (Ball at the heel/hosel) and try to remember how that feels. Then pull the club back and set the ball up at the toe and do the same. Re-center and get comfortable to swing.

I hope this helps

Edited by MyWifesSwingCoach
Clarification

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

I always think lessons are good. But you could try hitting 40 yard pitches with a 3/4 swing so you can feel the club head without speed getting in the way. You want to hit those with 2 balls in play, one a club head ahead of the other along the target line. This is a great drill. You should be able to hit both in the center of the club face about the same distance but they will have a slightly different trajectory. Should be able to pick out the problem pretty quickly if it is a path issue. You have an indoor sim, you can hit a lot of these. Good luck.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 4/18/2022 at 9:15 AM, thechrisgibbs said:

The past few year, I've been able to drive my handicap down from 15+ to 5.6. I find that having a home sim setup allows me to keep warm in the winter which has been really nice. I really do want to get down to a scratch level of golf. I've never broken par on an 18-hole round. The issue I've been finding to be holding me back the most is ball striking consistency. Here's the situation:

1. My mental game has been excellent and allowed me to keep scores under 80 by maximizing scoring opportunities and playing smart golf.
  2. The worst part of my game is actually approaching the green. I was fit for irons and am thrilled with my current setup. The real issue is ball striking.
  3. Day-to-day, I find I strike the ball from the toe one day, the heel the next, thin another day and occasionally fat.

What's the best drill you've used to get more consistent? I've tried a few things, but I won't list them here in case someone else stumbles upon this thread looking for even the most basic drills.

I quit reading the post after the "...handicap down from 15+ to 5.6". 😝 I don't have any specific tips other than what has been posted but just wanted to show my support to your plight by saying you're not alone.  Also, I am finding that getting closer to that consistent ball striking and putting perfection thingy follows an asymptotic curve.  😆

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with many that lessons are in order, however with home sim data you may be able to figure out some of your issues.   Depending on your sim you may be able to get face angle and angle of attack for each shot.  Essentially with irons you should be hitting down on the ball and with driver opposite.  Good luck.                    

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago