TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where to spend - Tech or clubs?

depan

I've been eyeing up an S62 but noticed it was released about 2 years ago. Considering the S60 was released around another 2 years prior, does it make sense to buy an S62 when an "S64" might be right around the corner? I've also been thinking about getting fitted for new irons/wedges and trying to do some mental calculus on where my money will be best spent. My irons and wedges are quite old since I stopped playing for a while and am now getting back into it. Overall I think they perform well but my ball flights might be too high with my irons.

Driver: :ping-small: G410 LST 9* +1 CB Alta Stiff

3 Wood: :titleist-small: TS2 15* +1.5 B3

5 Wood: :titleist-small: TS2 18* +1.5 B3

Irons: :ping-small: Rapture 5i-PW (4i M.I.A.)

GW: :titleist-small: Vokey Spin Milled 52/08

SW: :mizuno-small: MP-T 56/10

LW: :cleveland-small: CG12 60*
Putter: :taylormade-small:Rossa Monza Spider

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black

18 minutes ago, depan said:

I've been eyeing up an S62 but noticed it was released about 2 years ago. Considering the S60 was released around another 2 years prior, does it make sense to buy an S62 when an "S64" might be right around the corner? I've also been thinking about getting fitted for new irons/wedges and trying to do some mental calculus on where my money will be best spent. My irons and wedges are quite old since I stopped playing for a while and am now getting back into it. Overall I think they perform well but my ball flights might be too high with my irons.

My first question would be do you have a baseline numbers for your clubs? 

If you do, then I would edge towards fit.

Even if you don't, many different OEMs (cobra and Ping) have arccos installed as part of the club (optionally) so there you could get best of both worlds.

Personally I'd edge towards clubs, with the idea that arccos could come with them or many other systems are much cheaper then clubs itself and of your clubs are that old then nice to treat yourself.

Plus get involved on the forum, spend some time and never know if there is a testing opportunity that may suit you or have the chance to be selected for.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

My first question would be do you have a baseline numbers for your clubs? 

I'm not sure what you mean by baseline numbers? Like carry yardages? I know those roughly but nothing statistical or data based if that is what you mean (like from Arccos).

Just now, depan said:

I'm not sure what you mean by baseline numbers? Like carry yardages? I know those roughly but nothing statistical or data based if that is what you mean (like from Arccos).

Baseline bring yardage, spin rates and Launch. May also help knowing where you want to improve. Do you want to find more distance? More control/consistency or simply a little of everything.

I would think you should be able to get them from a local shop, or at the very worst go in for a fit and it could help tell you more if and where you can improve on your clubs or not? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

36 minutes ago, depan said:

What do you hope to from new tech? What does a new version of the S62 potentially provide that the current or older version doesn’t?  

What do you want to achieve with new clubs that your current one don’t do?  What does quite old mean?  Why do you think they are too high?  Have you been in a launch monitor to see if you could optimize your launch conditions?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What do you hope to from new tech? What does a new version of the S62 potentially provide that the current or older version doesn’t?  

What do you want to achieve with new clubs that your current one don’t do?  What does quite old mean?  Why do you think they are too high?  Have you been in a launch monitor to see if you could optimize your launch conditions?  

I like the shot tracking and caddie features of the S62, not sure if the S60 has that or not.

I have Ping Raptures that are 15+ years old. I think they are too high because I notice they will balloon up in a headwind and cause me to lose a lot of distance. Ball flight seems to high to me even without wind sometimes. Haven't been in launch monitor for my irons though so guess I could be wrong about the height. I was only around 16y/o when I got these clubs so I've definitely gained strength and clubhead speed so I think this could also be causing the higher ball flight. I do like and strike them well though, just feel like I am getting punished extra hard by even a 15-20mph wind or less.

30 minutes ago, depan said:

I like the shot tracking and caddie features of the S62, not sure if the S60 has that or not.

I have Ping Raptures that are 15+ years old. I think they are too high because I notice they will balloon up in a headwind and cause me to lose a lot of distance. Ball flight seems to high to me even without wind sometimes. Haven't been in launch monitor for my irons though so guess I could be wrong about the height. I was only around 16y/o when I got these clubs so I've definitely gained strength and clubhead speed so I think this could also be causing the higher ball flight. I do like and strike them well though, just feel like I am getting punished extra hard by even a 15-20mph wind or less.

If the s62 has what you want then no reason to worry about what might be in the next release. 

if we are generalizing, most people don’t hit the ball high enough.  15-20 MPH winds will have a significant impact on distance.  Here is a chart that show you potential impacts of wind, temp, and elevation.  Not saying this is 100% accurate but it will give you some information: https://peterfieldgolf.co.uk/what-effect-does-wind-temperature-and-elevation-have-on-my-approach-shot/   

Your best option is to go hit clubs and see if the perform any better than you current set   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

53 minutes ago, depan said:

This could easily be more of your swing than the clubs. If you present too much loft at address you are going to hit a higher ball and spin. Changing to a lower spin and lower launch ball could help.

But with no launch monitor numbers or a video of swing it’s just a guess

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, depan said:

My irons and wedges are quite old since I stopped playing for a while and am now getting back into it. Overall I think they perform well but my ball flights might be too high with my irons.

It could be many things as indicated.  I initially suggest playing the ball further back in you stance on windy days, and I would tend to think cnosil is on the right track.  Before I would attribute coming up short, to my swing, clubs, or balls, I would just make sure you are not underestimating the effect of wind.  If you are in doubt about if there is a 1 or two club headwind, I would suggest hit the less lofted 2 club wind club.  In these circumstance if I have any doubt about a 1 or 2 club wind, I always opt for 2 club (less lofted) choke down about 1/2 inch, and swing at about 85-90%, to keep the ball lower.  Guaging the wind can be very, very,  difficult. 

Trying to hit one club less lofted really, really hard may have it go even higher than the actual club, and therefore it will be even more affected by the wind.  Practice with 2 clubs less lofted in higher winds, and swing easier, and keep it lower.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I bought the S60 and three months later the S62 came out. I sold the S60 on eBay for a little less than what I paid for it and never looked back. Love the S62 it's my every day driver besides the data it gives and collects. I have 20 or so CT10 sensors I've picked up on eBay over the years. 

I had GameGolf Live and was constantly forgetting to tag before hitting. With the CT10 every once in a while I have an extra stroke I have to edit out but I'd rather do that than miss it entirely. 

After you hit the yardage is displayed when you walk to the ball. This is great if you know your yardages and don't see your ball. You can go to the yardage you hit that club and look around. I've found many of my balls this way. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER       cobra WideSport 35" 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

2 hours ago, depan said:

I'd recommend that you see if you can find a review or 2 on the S60 and S62 and see what the differences are. and see IF one sounds like a better fit for  you. If the reviews is that there is little or not enough difference between the 2 sets  then you know what is waht. If the only difference is Price, thwn buy what fits your wallet the best . That is pretty much what i did when I was looking at the AP2 irons. I ended up buying an older set with better  shafts then what came in the newer version, and I' glad I did what I did. NO good reason to buy newer if they are NOT any better and only cost you more. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

I have an S62. Prior to that I was using Fenix 5.  The S62 gives you nice features, most of which I don't think I use.  Both watches will track clubs, especially if you use the Approach C10 connect tags allowing the watch to track your clubs without doing anything extra. But those are another $300. You can skip the tags and just use the touch face when it asks for the club after each swing.

If you aren't going to invest in the tags, your phone can do just about everything an S62 can do with more detail.  Do you really want to spend close to grand? I did, but I may be addicted. I also wanted the O2 monitor. An S60 and tags may be about half that, if you don't want/need all the newest stuff.

One advantage of the S62, the Fenix, and probably the S60, is that you can install an app for swing training to work on your tempo. I find that very helpful.

Game Golf, Shot Scope, Arcos, and a dozen phone apps can give you all the same things with varying levels of manual input and combinations of club tags.

The biggest difference between the S60 and S62 for me is the extended battery life of the S62.  I seriously doubt that any new version will have another significant improvement in the battery.  I don't use the sensors so I don't know how they affect battery life, but I can get 5 maybe 6 rounds on a charge depending on how fast pace of play is.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I bought the S60 and returned it, had to pay the extra for S64 as the colour maps of each hole were totally different.  I suggest you look at the maps on the watch prior to purchase, you will end up with the S64.  Also battery is far better on the S64. 

I would strongly recommend against buying it I bought a new one and I’m very disappointed. Accuracy can be a big problem with it.  Example: I shoot the flag with my rangefinder and it says 202 yards. The watch says far side of green is 190. Laser isn’t lying but the watch is. Ox also isn’t accurate neither are the steps. I was $500