Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Need some info on Savannah area courses

Bosox04

We are thinking of moving to the Savannah area. We are considering Savannah Quarters. I know there is a private course there, but it goes through the real estate development, and I’m concerned that it might be too spread out to walk. Also, any info on other private clubs in the area would be a big help.

I’ve never been to Savannah, but it’s very close to Hilton Head which has some awesome courses like Old South and Palmetto Dunes just to name a couple. 

Go Sox!!

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

The Club at Savannah Harbor is a great course, its ran thru Marriott Golf and at one point was a Troon Golf course.  There are a handful of great private clubs if you can find your way in.

The Ford Field and River Club is a Dye Course and I believe hosts an event from one of the smaller Tours each year.

The Landings is a nice course but pretty spread out, winding thru real estate developments.  Would be a tough walk.

Like the poster before said Hilton Head is close by with tons of offerings and St. Simmons is about an hour south with some good spots also.

I host a tournament for a big group of friends in a small fishing town about 30 minutes south of Savannah at a course called Sapelo Hammock, has some really neat marsh and intercoastal holes.  Dont forget to pack the bug spray!

Hope you enjoy Savannah!

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

On 4/29/2022 at 4:14 PM, DeBartola_B said:

The Club at Savannah Harbor is a great course, its ran thru Marriott Golf and at one point was a Troon Golf course.  There are a handful of great private clubs if you can find your way in.

The Ford Field and River Club is a Dye Course and I believe hosts an event from one of the smaller Tours each year.

The Landings is a nice course but pretty spread out, winding thru real estate developments.  Would be a tough walk.

Like the poster before said Hilton Head is close by with tons of offerings and St. Simmons is about an hour south with some good spots also.

I host a tournament for a big group of friends in a small fishing town about 30 minutes south of Savannah at a course called Sapelo Hammock, has some really neat marsh and intercoastal holes.  Dont forget to pack the bug spray!

Hope you enjoy Savannah!

Thanks

We toured Savannah Quarters in Pooler, Ga last Saturday. The course, clubhouse, and pool all looked good. The neighborhood was beautiful, and there were very nice houses at a lot of different price points. The town of Pooler was not very nice. It seemed to be all strip centers, franchise restaurants, and big box stores. The traffic at 1:30 Friday afternoon was terrible. It was suburban sprawl at it’s highest degree. 

13 hours ago, Bosox04 said:

We toured Savannah Quarters in Pooler, Ga last Saturday. The course, clubhouse, and pool all looked good. The neighborhood was beautiful, and there were very nice houses at a lot of different price points. The town of Pooler was not very nice. It seemed to be all strip centers, franchise restaurants, and big box stores. The traffic at 1:30 Friday afternoon was terrible. It was suburban sprawl at it’s highest degree. 

That is a fair assessment of Pooler.  Check out Richmond Hill or Wilmington Island, both older communities and not as commercialized.  Richmond Hill has 2 courses, Ford Field and River Club is extremely nice.  And Wilmington Island has Savannah CC which is more of your classic Southern country club, both socially and golf wise.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

On 5/3/2022 at 10:37 AM, DeBartola_B said:

That is a fair assessment of Pooler.  Check out Richmond Hill or Wilmington Island, both older communities and not as commercialized.  Richmond Hill has 2 courses, Ford Field and River Club is extremely nice.  And Wilmington Island has Savannah CC which is more of your classic Southern country club, both socially and golf wise.

We spent the day, yesterday, walking around Savannah. After leaving the riverfront area, we thought it was a beautiful city. That riverfront was one of the most touristy areas I’ve ever seen. It was pretty hot, and it’s only early May. I can’t imagine what it’s like in July and August. I believe we have eliminated the Savannah area as a retirement destination.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 9:02 PM, Bosox04 said:

We are thinking of moving to the Savannah area. We are considering Savannah Quarters. I know there is a private course there, but it goes through the real estate development, and I’m concerned that it might be too spread out to walk. Also, any info on other private clubs in the area would be a big help.

On 5/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, DeBartola_B said:

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 3:02 PM, Bosox04 said:

I grew up in Savannah but have not lived there in 40+ years.  As a teenager, I played mostly at Bacon Park Municipal Course. It has been renovated more recently and I would love to try it again.  It is a Donald Ross course but was not in the best shape when I used to play it many years ago.

The Landings is a beautiful place to live. I have cousins who live there and my sense it is the premier of these types of places in Savannah. The courses Ihave played there are very nice - I think they have 6 courses there.  I like them better than playing on the course next to the Savannah Harbor/Westin/Convention Center.

When I was growing up, Pooler was not considered that nice. I know there has been a lot of building out there, but my guess is living at the Landings will be nicer. 

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

On 5/6/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bosox04 said:

We spent the day, yesterday, walking around Savannah. After leaving the riverfront area, we thought it was a beautiful city. That riverfront was one of the most touristy areas I’ve ever seen. It was pretty hot, and it’s only early May. I can’t imagine what it’s like in July and August. I believe we have eliminated the Savannah area as a retirement destination.

Probably a good decision!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 5/6/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bosox04 said:

If you are looking for warmer in the winter but not too hot and humid in the summer, my guess is you are down to San Diego and Hawaii.  That said, I only visit Savannah in the summer if I have to do so.  

Edited by HAC
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat

On 6/9/2022 at 8:47 PM, HAC said:

I grew up in Savannah but have not lived there in 40+ years.  As a teenager, I played mostly at Bacon Park Municipal Course. It has been renovated more recently and I would love to try it again.  It is a Donald Ross course but was not in the best shape when I used to play it many years ago.

The Landings is a beautiful place to live. I have cousins who live there and my sense it is the premier of these types of places in Savannah. The courses Ihave played there are very nice - I think they have 6 courses there.  I like them better than playing on the course next to the Savannah Harbor/Westin/Convention Center.

When I was growing up, Pooler was not considered that nice. I know there has been a lot of building out there, but my guess is living at the Landings will be nicer. 

We considered The Landings, but the monthly dues were around $1200. That is too much to spend on golf. The real deal breaker was that the elevation at The Landings is 10 feet. The area is surrounded by water, and we felt it was too vulnerable to flooding. When I researched some of the properties, it gave a very high likelihood of damage due to flooding, along with high dollar estimates of damage. 

12 hours ago, Bosox04 said:

We considered The Landings, but the monthly dues were around $1200. That is too much to spend on golf. The real deal breaker was that the elevation at The Landings is 10 feet. The area is surrounded by water, and we felt it was too vulnerable to flooding. When I researched some of the properties, it gave a very high likelihood of damage due to flooding, along with high dollar estimates of damage. 

Understand. But, the reason it can flood is it is near the ocean, which probably makes it a good bit cooler than Pooler.