Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Advice on a new 3-wood

JMcCann13

I'm 60 years old and play to a 16 index...and I am considering upgrading my 3 wood...I currently have the TaylorMade RBZ 15-degree loft. I hit the ball short...but fairly straight...most of the time, 210-225 yards

I'm considering the TaylorMade Sim2 15-degree, the Srixon ZX 15-degree, the Cobra RadSpeed 14.5-degree loft, and the Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5-degree.

Which one would you recommend for me? Or, is there a different one that I should be considering. I prefer to be straight and short, rather than gaining 10-20 yards and off the fairway.

Also, which shaft would you recommend. My swing speed is the low 90's with a senior flex.

I greatly appreciate any advice you better (or equal) players can provide.

Jamie

DBL BOGI

Reno, NV

:taylormade-small: SIM 2 Driver                     10.5

:taylormade-small: RBZ    3-wood                  15

:cobra-small: Baffler DFW 3+ hybrid    18

:mizuno-small: JPX 900  4 thru GW            21-50

:cleveland-small: CBX      SW and Lob         56 & 60

:odyssey-small: white hot pro 2            putter

:bridgestone-small:  white balls only       e6

What are you trying to accomplish?  you have a club that based on your description you hit it straight and decent distance so why the switch?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.  Sounds like the club is working fine.  I'm 70 and would love to hit my 3 wood that far. 🙂 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Swing speed and shaft flex don’t always go together and flex has no standard so rule out basing anything on flex or swing speed. 

You would actually probably be better of with a higher lofted wood help you hitter straighter an better due to easier to get the ball in the air.

Shaft should get you the feel and weight. Best bet is to go somewhere to demo clubs. Check different lofts, different brands and different shafts to see what you like from looks and feel and see how the ball flight looks

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're really in it for accuracy, you may want to try a 4 wood around 16*. However, you're going to really need to hit a few balls on some form of launch monitor just to make sure the shaft is close enough for you. If you're really serious about accuracy, you may want to heavily consider a custom fitting and getting a 3 wood and have the shaft shortened slightly by 0.5" to 1" depending on original factory length. If I recollect, the shafts in all the RBZ stuff were on the longer end for their time, so if you can hit it straight, shortening may not be necessary.

Overall, lots of options in this area. The optimal and boring answer is to get properly fit. If you don't want to go through a fitting, try and hit balls at a golf shop that at least has a SkyTrak to get some general numbers. I wouldn't expect to see massive differences between an RBZ and new FW today unless you are able to find yourself a lighter shaft that performs well. 

Going by your stated 210-225 3 wood distance, I'd have to recommend you try either a 4 wood or a 5 wood instead of another 3 wood. More loft would help you get more carry yardage and either a 4 or a 5 wood should be easier to hit and you could see more fairways in your future with either in your bag. I'd also recommend a good fairway wood shaft for your new wood, and I''d highly recommend you have the shaft Spine and FLO aligned so you know the shaft is playing as well as it can. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

If you can, go to a PXG fitter for a tryout.  They are now priced all the way from low to skigh high.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

A 60 year old with a 16 handicap has no use for a 3 wood, get yourself a 4 wood and you’ll hit it way better and probably farther. I recommend a 7 wood while you’re at it, it’s my favorite club in the bag. 

Edited by HK4Health

You should be swinging a regular with a 90mph swing.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

5 minutes ago, Kocher Clamp said:

You should be swinging a regular with a 90mph swing.

No he shouldn’t. There’s no standard for flex so how can one have a flex based on flex. Shafts provide weight and feel for the club and golfer. Finding the right shaft weight and the right profile for the golfer is more important. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I second the question "what are you looking to gain?"...

I would typically not recommend decreasing the loft of a 3-wood.  It would take a lot of on course testing to convince me that decreasing the loft would be a good idea.  What is the loft on your 5 Wood?  What is the yardage gap between the two clubs right now?

Infititi Driver

Wishon 4,7 woods

Wishon EQ1-NX 5I-LW

Your new 3w should actually be a 4w or even a 5w. Lofts, shafts, etc are all going to be dependent on your swing and transition. Are you looking for something primarily off the tee? Off the deck? Both? That can also play into things as well.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

#3 FWY. must look good in the playing position.  It also helps to play one with a shallow face with about 33 mm face height, also one with 455 Carpenters steel face and cup face construction (like a Integra 455) and look for a shaft that is 190 +/_  CPM and 55 grams in weight with a high launch/low spin.

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.

On 4/27/2022 at 5:26 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

No he shouldn’t. There’s no standard for flex so how can one have a flex based on flex. Shafts provide weight and feel for the club and golfer. Finding the right shaft weight and the right profile for the golfer is more important. 

You sound like your bitching at me 

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

I would only suggest that you go get properly fit if you want to change clubs. Everyone's swing is different and to properly get the best value, hit different brands and different shafts. Just because a shaft says stiff, regular, etc. you need to hit them using a monitor and get advice from a professional. I am 63 and just did this for a driver. It was a great learning experience and feel that I was properly fit.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, Kocher Clamp said:

You sound like your bitching at me 

I’m not bitching at you. I’m saying he shouldn’t just choose a regular flex based on his swing speed. Swing speed is one of the last things used to choose a shaft. There’s no standard for flex so how can one say that X speed should choose Y flex.

Even within a shaft company flexes aren’t the same.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:43 PM, JMcCann13 said:

I'm 60 years old and play to a 16 index...and I am considering upgrading my 3 wood...I currently have the TaylorMade RBZ 15-degree loft. I hit the ball short...but fairly straight...most of the time, 210-225 yards

I'm considering the TaylorMade Sim2 15-degree, the Srixon ZX 15-degree, the Cobra RadSpeed 14.5-degree loft, and the Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5-degree.

Which one would you recommend for me? Or, is there a different one that I should be considering. I prefer to be straight and short, rather than gaining 10-20 yards and off the fairway.

Also, which shaft would you recommend. My swing speed is the low 90's with a senior flex.

I greatly appreciate any advice you better (or equal) players can provide.

PXG makes a 16 degree 3 wood (The 341 XF) - Adjusts up and down 2 degrees. That's like a 4 wood that can adjust to 3 wood or 5 wood loft. 

BTW - Why play short and straight? Why not long and straight?

Hitting longer doesn't necessarily mean hitting it less straight, 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, Kansas King said:

If you're really in it for accuracy, you may want to try a 4 wood around 16*.

Totally agree with Kansas King and others and would take it a step further...5 wood or 7 wood. I swing a driver 104 mph and found I didn't like the launch conditions of a 3 or 4 wood and that a Sim Max 2 5 wood (18*) carries as far, on average, as my 4 wood and is more consistent. Unless you are playing in high high winds all the time, the launch conditions of a 5 wood or 7 wood are excellent. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 4/29/2022 at 4:52 PM, GaDawg said:

I would only suggest that you go get properly fit if you want to change clubs. Everyone's swing is different and to properly get the best value, hit different brands and different shafts. Just because a shaft says stiff, regular, etc. you need to hit them using a monitor and get advice from a professional. I am 63 and just did this for a driver. It was a great learning experience and feel that I was properly fit.

GaDawg is right on the money here. Take it from a guy that has tried to "buy his game" in the past and always getting the latest greatest. Go find a reputable fitter and have him help you. It could be that all you need is a new shaft in your existing club or perhaps a different stick all together. Point is, they can help, and show you what you need to accomplish your goal. Don't get stuck on one brand or the other. It may be something completely different from what you expect. My bag has 5 different brands represented for example. All because that is what worked for me. Best of luck!

I am brand agnostic. If it is in my bag it is because it works for me...