Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wedge flex v PX LZ 6.0

DStar

I've just been informed that the SM8 I've ordered has a PX LZ 6.0 shaft, instead of the 'wedge flex' they normally come with. Is there much difference between the 2?

I think the wedge flex is an S200 @ 128g compared to 120g for the LZ..

Thanks

Steve

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Yes. As you mention the wedge flex is typical s200 (which sometimes is on the label) the old ones were the heavier version however many wedges are coming with the dg120 shaft in s200.

The px lz has a softer middle aka loading zone. It has a different feel and flight characteristics than the s200

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes. As you mention the wedge flex is typical s200 (which sometimes is on the label) the old ones were the heavier version however many wedges are coming with the dg120 shaft in s200.

The px lz has a softer middle aka loading zone. It has a different feel and flight characteristics than the s200

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Higher trajectory & spin are the main differences from what I can tell - Both things I am looking for. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It really depended on what the club OEM requested. For example, Nike used to request s400 for the majority of their existence while Vokey always used s200. As previously mentioned, most of the OEMs that still use standard DGs today have settled on s200. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

36 minutes ago, DStar said:

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Higher trajectory & spin are the main differences from what I can tell - Both things I am looking for. 

By design yes but it’s also more about how the golfer reacts to the feel and weight of the club. Golfer who play a low launch low spin driver still hit the ball high and with plenty of spin while others play that same combo and hit it low or even unplayable.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

The 6.0 LZ is a somewhat stiff and mid/low launching shaft.  I just went through the process of putting a "beefy" KBS tour in two wedges with the idea I could produce optional low flight shots when desired.  Unfortunately it turned out I could only produce low flight shots and lost some "feel" at least in my opinion/mind. 

I pulled the shafts within 2 weeks and put conventional wedge shafts back in.  I wrote this one off to a failed experiment.  This being said the SM8's are tried and true wedges so the shaft has probably been well tested and fits a specific profile/player.  You may want to reach out to Titleist and ask about the player profile this shaft targets.  My "guess" is this is a preferred optional shaft that is targeting single digit higher swing speed players.  TOTAL GUESS but Titleist can let you know.

50 minutes ago, John S said:

The 6.0 LZ is a somewhat stiff and mid/low launching shaft.  I just went through the process of putting a "beefy" KBS tour in two wedges with the idea I could produce optional low flight shots when desired.  Unfortunately it turned out I could only produce low flight shots and lost some "feel" at least in my opinion/mind. 

I pulled the shafts within 2 weeks and put conventional wedge shafts back in.  I wrote this one off to a failed experiment.  This being said the SM8's are tried and true wedges so the shaft has probably been well tested and fits a specific profile/player.  You may want to reach out to Titleist and ask about the player profile this shaft targets.  My "guess" is this is a preferred optional shaft that is targeting single digit higher swing speed players.  TOTAL GUESS but Titleist can let you know.

The DG in of itself is a tried and true shaft. There’s a reason is stock in pretty much every brand. They lighter weight versions like the 120 and 105 are also good shafts for the golfers they fit.

If the shaft fits the golfer and the weight, balance and such are done right then a non “wedge flex” shaft will work. Even if the op called titleist and asked if the px lz targets the op it doesn’t mean it will work work for him in the shaft.

As for the shaft profile it fits lots of players. I have a buddy who has the 6.5 and he’s a strong golfer with high swing speed in his irons and they work for him.  I hit the 6.0 in my fitting and they were terrible for me.

Rafael Cabrera-bello has played PX LX 7.0 130  in irons and all his vokey wedges and as of last year had the 6.5 125 in all irons and vokey wedges.

Ian Poulter has the 7.0 in irons and 6.0 in his vokey 46,52