Golf Missive

Yeah, well OKI.  I am heading into another birthday; getting closer to retirement  As I age I do see a lessening of my golf skills.  I do not hit the drive as far as I once did, I do notice my putts are starting to really suck as well.  Realizing at some point in my future, I will probably have to stop golfing.  Not that I want to, but my body will give out.  As I edge closer and closer to that time, I wonder one thing.  What will I do with all that money I will  not be spending on golf!  LOLOLOL

Edited by Paul Hedrick
  • Like 6
  • Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges   635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Huntington Beach  soft 10.5 C

1 hour ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Yeah, well OKI.  I am heading into another birthday; getting closer to retirement  As I age I do see a lessening of my golf skills.  I do not hit the drive as far as I once did, I do notice my putts are starting to really suck as well.  Realizing at some point in my future, I will probably have to stop golfing.  Not that I want to, but my body will give out.  As I edge closer and closer to that time, I wonder one thing.  What will I do with all that money I will  not be spending on golf!  LOLOLOL

Bla bla bla… Come on man your dragging my spirit down. My birthday is right around the corner and I’m looking at 63 square in the eyes. My game is better than it ever was. No pitty party, get out and practice, work on your flexibility. I know an 80 year old golfer that can still break par most days and plays 3 times a week. 
But feel free to keep buying golf equipment to make you feel good. Just ship it to me! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I can see this happening to me at some point.  Physically I am going to run into things that limit my ability to play more and more as time goes by.  Not just normal aging but past injuries that are getting harder and harder to compensate for as time goes by.  I think I will get to a point where the frustration with my level of play will surpass the enjoyment and I will stop playing.  

Hmmm.... I wonder what will fill that space of time and energy that golf currently occupies?

• Like 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I’m 65 and always trying to improve - I’ve played with guys in their 80’s, why not me?

I do worry more about injuries now though as I realize that healing takes longer.

But my sense here is that the OP was being humorous, successfully I might add. 🙂

• Like 5

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

Well, I'll join in.  My birthday is right around the corner as well.  I will be 75.  I'm not hitting the ball as far as I used to either, but I'm still out there practicing and playing.  Move up a tee box or two.   Last year I shot my age... twice.  I'm hoping it will be easier with each passing year!  😂  

I have no idea what I would do if I didn't play golf.  I don't have any other interests or hobbies, and I just can't sit around and watch depressing TV programming; my dad did that.

My signature below says it all...

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will be 63 in September. I have definitely noticed a loss in distance across the board. It's time to check the ego and get the short game tuned up😄. My scores are climbing, and it p*sses me off!... lol. This is the year that I need to figure out how to continue scoring well with the loss of distance.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Retirement age - and stopping golf? Really? That's when you really start playing (150+ rounds/yr for me). OK so you won't be able to score well from the 'tips' so what. There are plenty of tee boxes in front of them. As @revkev mentioned, injuries can be a concern - I had one last year when I pulled a hamstring - took 7 months to recover. So more warming up is essential as you get older same with mobility and balance. I play with a bunch of guys in their late 70's and low 80's and I can outdrive them all, however, when they take out their wedges and putters, they beat the heck out of me. 

And as @Kenny B mentioned I don't know what I'd do if I didn't play golf (I'm 75). Also because I golf - I'm also working out to keep from losing strength and biking (for balance). So while using a cart may not contribute much to my physical wellbeing, the exercise program certainly does. Beats sitting in a rocker watching tv. 

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My Pepe one day called me to brag that he beat his age by 10 strokes. He was 88 at the time and shot a 78. That’s what I’m going to aspire to. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

I agree and I know how you all feel, I just turned 40 and I can feel my body beginning to give out.  I've probably only got a few seasons remaining if I'm lucky!

• Haha 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Tour Edge Exotics 3 wood and Bazooka 7 wood

Titleist 21° and Grand Hawk XR3 hybrids

Adams Idea 6-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and C3I 65° wedges

Ray Cook Silver Ray IV putter

... I played behind 2 groups of older players about 10 years ago in Asheville NC. Playin with my best friend I was giving him some help during the round so not playing fast and these old dudes were right on our tail. I could look back and see 4 chips all happening at the same time. We waited for them after 9 to let them play through but didn't wait long and one of them said "Thanks, but we only play 9 holes. We are a 90 and older league of 8 guys and we would have caught you without this f*****g rookie plumb bobbing his 4 putts" and they all laughed. The next group was not far behind and we moved to the 10th tee thinking if we were still playing past 90 and had 7 friends to join us still giving each other a hard time we would die happy. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec ... Steelfiber i80R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21