Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf Missive

Paul Hedrick

Yeah, well OKI.  I am heading into another birthday; getting closer to retirement  As I age I do see a lessening of my golf skills.  I do not hit the drive as far as I once did, I do notice my putts are starting to really suck as well.  Realizing at some point in my future, I will probably have to stop golfing.  Not that I want to, but my body will give out.  As I edge closer and closer to that time, I wonder one thing.  What will I do with all that money I will  not be spending on golf!  LOLOLOL

Edited by Paul Hedrick
  • Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

1 hour ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Yeah, well OKI.  I am heading into another birthday; getting closer to retirement  As I age I do see a lessening of my golf skills.  I do not hit the drive as far as I once did, I do notice my putts are starting to really suck as well.  Realizing at some point in my future, I will probably have to stop golfing.  Not that I want to, but my body will give out.  As I edge closer and closer to that time, I wonder one thing.  What will I do with all that money I will  not be spending on golf!  LOLOLOL

Bla bla bla… Come on man your dragging my spirit down. My birthday is right around the corner and I’m looking at 63 square in the eyes. My game is better than it ever was. No pitty party, get out and practice, work on your flexibility. I know an 80 year old golfer that can still break par most days and plays 3 times a week. 
But feel free to keep buying golf equipment to make you feel good. Just ship it to me! 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I can see this happening to me at some point.  Physically I am going to run into things that limit my ability to play more and more as time goes by.  Not just normal aging but past injuries that are getting harder and harder to compensate for as time goes by.  I think I will get to a point where the frustration with my level of play will surpass the enjoyment and I will stop playing.  

Hmmm.... I wonder what will fill that space of time and energy that golf currently occupies?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I’m 65 and always trying to improve - I’ve played with guys in their 80’s, why not me?

I do worry more about injuries now though as I realize that healing takes longer.

But my sense here is that the OP was being humorous, successfully I might add. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well, I'll join in.  My birthday is right around the corner as well.  I will be 75.  I'm not hitting the ball as far as I used to either, but I'm still out there practicing and playing.  Move up a tee box or two.   Last year I shot my age... twice.  I'm hoping it will be easier with each passing year!  😂  

I have no idea what I would do if I didn't play golf.  I don't have any other interests or hobbies, and I just can't sit around and watch depressing TV programming; my dad did that.

My signature below says it all...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will be 63 in September. I have definitely noticed a loss in distance across the board. It's time to check the ego and get the short game tuned up😄. My scores are climbing, and it p*sses me off!... lol. This is the year that I need to figure out how to continue scoring well with the loss of distance.

15 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Retirement age - and stopping golf? Really? That's when you really start playing (150+ rounds/yr for me). OK so you won't be able to score well from the 'tips' so what. There are plenty of tee boxes in front of them. As @revkev mentioned, injuries can be a concern - I had one last year when I pulled a hamstring - took 7 months to recover. So more warming up is essential as you get older same with mobility and balance. I play with a bunch of guys in their late 70's and low 80's and I can outdrive them all, however, when they take out their wedges and putters, they beat the heck out of me. 

And as @Kenny B mentioned I don't know what I'd do if I didn't play golf (I'm 75). Also because I golf - I'm also working out to keep from losing strength and biking (for balance). So while using a cart may not contribute much to my physical wellbeing, the exercise program certainly does. Beats sitting in a rocker watching tv. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My Pepe one day called me to brag that he beat his age by 10 strokes. He was 88 at the time and shot a 78. That’s what I’m going to aspire to. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I agree and I know how you all feel, I just turned 40 and I can feel my body beginning to give out.  I've probably only got a few seasons remaining if I'm lucky!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

... I played behind 2 groups of older players about 10 years ago in Asheville NC. Playin with my best friend I was giving him some help during the round so not playing fast and these old dudes were right on our tail. I could look back and see 4 chips all happening at the same time. We waited for them after 9 to let them play through but didn't wait long and one of them said "Thanks, but we only play 9 holes. We are a 90 and older league of 8 guys and we would have caught you without this f*****g rookie plumb bobbing his 4 putts" and they all laughed. The next group was not far behind and we moved to the 10th tee thinking if we were still playing past 90 and had 7 friends to join us still giving each other a hard time we would die happy. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x