Do you have a putter with adjustable weights? Do you ever change the weights?

Siamese Moose

Posted (edited)

I have been using a new PING Vault 2 Anser Dale putter, total 350g with removable 10g head weights and Ping 58 Midsize Cord grip.

Moved from an original 1968 Anser as I felt the need for more weight in the putter head and wanted to try some newer technology.

After a few rounds I love the new putter but now have gone down the rabbit hole of “preferred” or “precise” weighting for my stroke. Trying to eliminate pushes or pulls to gain a consistent head location in a repeating stroke. I found a lighter toe weight diminishes left pull bias and after more investigation I found lighter head weight for better speed control, but seems to be counter intuitive but working.

Still “tinkering “ with changeable weights trying to determine the best weight location (toe-v-heel) and actual weight in 3.5g, 5g, 10g and 20g increments. I am now at 3.5g toe and heel for an overall lighter weight. Looking for compatible head weight with excellent stroke feel.

I ran across this article. Interesting information.

Comparing Putter Weighting

Edited by Motoboss

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB 

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Vault Anser 2 Dale / 1968 Anser / SeeMore Si3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx

So I do now have the new phantom X 5.5 with 20G weights.  This is the standard since I was fit into the 33" (I'm only 5'8") which helps get my eyes more over the ball.  I've had weighted putters but not ones that were interchangeable before (very old scotty studio style newport, odyssey jailbird mini).  So, I've made use of high density lead tape which definitely helped.  I'm just getting started with the phantom but I won't be shocked if I end up getting the 30g weights at some points since I mostly play public courses which are a bit slower green speeds and I would like to not have to feel like I'm swinging it so far back and through to get the ball there.  Plus, the weights are easier and cleaner than sullying a scotty with lead tape.  Happy to answer any questions. 

Epic Flash 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with X-stiff hzrdus yellow

Epic Flash 3W with stiff Tensei Blue.

Apex 19 3 hybrid with catalyst 6.0

Apex 19 4 hybrid with TT tour elevate stiff steel (my favorite creation) 

Apex Pro irons 5-PW with TT tour elevate stiff steel

Jaws MD5 50 S grind S200

Jaws MD5 54 W grind tour elevate stiff (great for the soft Missouri turf; this is my dart throwing club)

PM Grind 60 KBS tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2022 (Went through SAM lab fitting and this nailed it; replaced the O-Works Jailbird-mini red)

I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 which came with 2 - 10 gram weights. Been testing 15gram & 20gram weights as well.  Then tested putting different weights in heel & toe side of putter. 

Finally settled on - 15gram weight on the toe and 10gram weight on the heel.  Really like the feel.  15gram on toe feels like it keeps me from closing face at impact. Tend to have a strong right hand. not a fan of lead tape.  But for now found a good feel.   Fun to experiment. 

• Like 1

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

Callaway EPIC 9.0 Subzero - set at 10.0 Draw bias - 6.0 Stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (21 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM5 - 54 (M Grind) wedge flex; SM5 60 (S grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap 0.6

1 hour ago, tdroma98 said:

I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 which came with 2 - 10 gram weights. Been testing 15gram & 20gram weights as well.  Then tested putting different weights in heel & toe side of putter. 

Finally settled on - 15gram weight on the toe and 10gram weight on the heel.  Really like the feel.  15gram on toe feels like it keeps me from closing face at impact. Tend to have a strong right hand. not a fan of lead tape.  But for now found a good feel.   Fun to experiment. 

Great experiment.
In the article I linked it states a “reduction of hook spin” with more toe weight but a slower closing toe. I have always associated slower toe closure to a more even, straighter stroke.  I’ve been using 10g in the heel and a. 3.5g in the toe and recently found in my last round I was missing several short’ish putts, to the left, not really a pull but just missing left. I now wonder if it is due to “hook spin”?
My next experiment will be with a heavier toe weight to ruduce the “hook spin” but fear “pulling “ the putt.

• Like 1

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB 

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Vault Anser 2 Dale / 1968 Anser / SeeMore Si3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx

With putters, the ball tends to follow the weight.  With more weight in the heel, that will move the ball to the left, for a right handed golfer.  If you are missing left, you should see improvement by using a heavier weight in the toe and it should move the ball to the right.

• Like 1

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K

14 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Great experiment.
In the article I linked it states a “reduction of hook spin” with more toe weight but a slower closing toe. I have always associated slower toe closure to a more even, straighter stroke.  I’ve been using 10g in the heel and a. 3.5g in the toe and recently found in my last round I was missing several short’ish putts, to the left, not really a pull but just missing left. I now wonder if it is due to “hook spin”?
My next experiment will be with a heavier toe weight to ruduce the “hook spin” but fear “pulling “ the putt.

The first time I got fit for a putter (2007, I think) the fitter (Dana Upshaw) proved to me that I wasn't pulling putts, I was hooking them. The conventional wisdon was that you couldn't put enough side spin on the ball with a putter, but the camera doesn't lie. My new putter ended up 4° flatter.

• Like 1

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

My Mizuno MCraft V came with a weight kit.....i put the heavier weights in it when i got it, just because i like the heavier feel....haven't messed with it since

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Fairway: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 5w

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :mizuno-small:M Craft Type V

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

On 5/10/2022 at 5:42 PM, Motoboss said:

Great experiment.

I think you will be surprised and not pull putts, as you may think. For me the heavier weight in the toe quieted my right hand and don't feel like I'm rotating to my left, creating that hook, consequently pulling putts. Especially the short putts.  Good luck experimenting and hope it works!

• Like 1

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

Callaway EPIC 9.0 Subzero - set at 10.0 Draw bias - 6.0 Stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (21 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM5 - 54 (M Grind) wedge flex; SM5 60 (S grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap 0.6

• 1 month later...

this is incredibly long and convoluted in places but I'm bored. 

Back in october I woke up one day and said you know what, I'm going to go get a scotty cameron, or bettinardi blade, or something on the high end of the spectrum in a blade. Maybe it would be that I get something custom. It was just after having been to vegas to play golf and I golfed with a guy who had the same putter for 20+ years and he just would changed the grip and occasionally "touch it up". For whatever reason I wanted to be that guy as well. I've always been a mallet guy outside of when I first started golfing when I was 8. After doing zero research, hitting the local shops, rolling several putters I finally found that blades suck and I'm a mallet guy for life. But I wanted something new so I picked up a SC phantom x5. I didn't like the grip and decided so did a lot of research and decided on the superstroke flatso 1.0. Felt great and after I added the counter core weight, no idea what gram weight I went with right now the putter felt even better but felt like about 5-10 grams too heavy. So I went onto the cameron website too purchase some official weights. none were stock and had already purchased the tour red weight tool when I was researching grips. It felt completely stupid to pay $154 for a weight set when I already had the two and would only be using one of the weights. So I emailed seeing if I could just purchased the one weight, which was met with basically just a scoff email. So I said screw it, bought blacked out 10g weights form some amazon retailer. During this time I had watched the hank haney video on how to six your slice. One of the tips was to adjust your weights to the heal to close the club face easier. Was an interesting thought that I thought I'd try in the putter. Kept a 15g in the heel and changed the 15g to a 10g in the toe. For whatever reason it feels perfect now.  Really helped decrease the toe flow and its great. I then  had to purhcase blacked out 15g weights to match. Also fun fact both the original 15g weights that came in the putter actually weighed 14grams. 

Edited by scratchnurse

Driver -  :titelist-small: TSi2 10* - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

Fairway -  :titelist-small: TSi3 15* Mitsubishi Tensei White

Irons -  :cobra-small: Speed zone 4/5/6/7/8/9/P with KBS v tour steel stiff shafts

Wedges -   :taylormade-small: 48/54/58 - Tour V wedge shafts 

Putter -  :scotty-small: 2021 Phantom X 5 - 34" w/ superstroke flatso 1.0

Ball -  :titelist-small: Prov 1 optic yellow

Bag - :titleist-small: Players 4 plus stand bag - lagoon/black/charcoal