TESTERS WANTED! ×

Switching from Pro V1X - Tour B X, Z Star XV?

I'm strongly considering a switch from the Pro V1X, largely because it's spinning too much for me on approaches and greenside.  I hit a couple approaches last night with PW and GW that landed at or near pin-high but then spun back, in one case off the green.  I like some good check obviously, but I'm getting too much.  Greenside, I hit several chips right where I wanted and got almost no release, or at least not as much as I wanted.

For the hell of it, I tried out a Tour B X (the Bryson ball) for my last couple holes and liked it; it definitely released a little more, and off the driver it felt good and was certainly as long as the Titleist.  And, I'm convinced the Bridgestone cover is more durable than the Titleist.  (I played the B XS a bit last year and the cover holds up well.)

A couple questions for the community...see any flaws in my logic or anything I'm not thinking about?  Anyone gaming the Bryson ball and have any feedback?  And, should I be checking out the Z Star XV in your opinion?  I played it a bit a couple years ago and was kind of "meh" about it.  Of course I've combed through the MGS ball test write-ups but I'm also interested in anyone elses feedback.

My playing speed with driver is around 107-110.

Thanks.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have played the Tour B X some last year and as you noted it is a quality ball. I find it still has some good spin, but is not meant to be the low low  spin option like CSX LS or Left Dash more mid, or at least it has not been in my experience. It sounds like the standard ProV1 would also be an option as its Mid/Mid. Have not gotten to try the Srixon lately though I do think the XV is supposed to have less green side spin, but its firmer and a lot of the softer balls are showing that they should spin less in the MSG testing. Sounds like multiple sleeves should be testing soon.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

5 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I have played the Tour B X some last year and as you noted it is a quality ball. I find it still has some good spin, but is not meant to be the low low  spin option like CSX LS or Left Dash more mid, or at least it has not been in my experience. It sounds like the standard ProV1 would also be an option as its Mid/Mid. Have not gotten to try the Srixon lately though I do think the XV is supposed to have less green side spin, but its firmer and a lot of the softer balls are showing that they should spin less in the MSG testing. Sounds like multiple sleeves should be testing soon.

Thanks!

I thought about the Pro V1 but MGS has them at a lower compression than the Pro V1X or Tour B X, and I'd rather not give up the distance.  (I know we're not talkng that many yards, but every one of them matters!)  The Tour B X is appealing because of the high compression number but the lower spin.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

There are going to be balls that perform better in some areas than others for each person. 

The person has to decide where they are willing to give up one aspect for another. If you find a ball that gives you want you need,want, expect around the green and don’t lose much of anything thru the rest of the bag then it’s a good move.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have no doubt that the Bridgestone ball is great - there also the Pro VIx left dash that is supposed to spin less.  Just because the regular Pro VI i shorter for some doesn't mean that it will be for you - I seem to recall you have a faster clubhead speed - assuming that's the case soft my still go for you. Worth a try just in case.  

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

43 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks!

I thought about the Pro V1 but MGS has them at a lower compression than the Pro V1X or Tour B X, and I'd rather not give up the distance.  (I know we're not talkng that many yards, but every one of them matters!)  The Tour B X is appealing because of the high compression number but the lower spin.

I get that not wanting to give up the speed, in that case I would agree with @revkev the Left Dash and CSX LS are the better option there for those respective companies. Both of those should be lower than the BX in what I have seen, and actually I would say Left Dash is the lowest with CSX LS in the middle in the for what its worth column. Otherwise yes probably going to need to go lower compression and maybe give up a little speed to reduce the spin.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Why not go MTB-X. hard ball with nice but not too much spin. Same with Vero X1. I tried left dash last year. was great for the driver but i could not get it to stop at all with irons or wedges.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Right on cue here is a new youtube video for the 2022 BX,

Have you thought about trying any of the non "X" balls. While the X balls are designed to be low spin off the driver, they are also the highest spinning off wedges, which could be some of the check up problem you have. 

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

5 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Have you thought about trying any of the non "X" balls. While the X balls are designed to be low spin off the driver, they are also the highest spinning off wedges, which could be some of the check up problem you have. 

Not all non Xs are equal. The TP5 is a higher spinning ball than the TP5X

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

35 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I hear you, but I still want some spin and check, just not as much as I'm getting from the Pro V1X.

Is the cover and it's durability just not a factor for everyone, or am I alone in that assessment?  It just seems to me Titleist cover gets scabbed up pretty easily compared to the Bridgestone, and it annoys me to have to change out a ball when I haven't hit any trees, cart paths, or anything that (to my mind) would justify the scabs and cuts.

Don't get me wrong, if a Titleist ball is best for me then it's what I'll game.  Just something I've noticed.

I'll definitely have to kick tires on Left Dash.  The CSX LS...I don't know.  Right or wrong I'm still leery of Callaway balls.

8 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I hear you, but I still want some spin and check, just not as much as I'm getting from the Pro V1X.

Is the cover and it's durability just not a factor for everyone, or am I alone in that assessment?  It just seems to me Titleist cover gets scabbed up pretty easily compared to the Bridgestone, and it annoys me to have to change out a ball when I haven't hit any trees, cart paths, or anything that (to my mind) would justify the scabs and cuts.

Don't get me wrong, if a Titleist ball is best for me then it's what I'll game.  Just something I've noticed.

I'll definitely have to kick tires on Left Dash.  The CSX LS...I don't know.  Right or wrong I'm still leery of Callaway balls.

ProV1. gives me check but not a ton

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Not sure if you've tried it or not yet but the ball fitting that Ping offers is pretty interesting and can provide a fantastic comparison of the balls you play vs. other options that might fit you better.

https://ballfitting.com/

I did the fitting and it put me in the new Callaway Chrome Soft X ('22) which I had never tried or considered.  I purchased some and have been playing them now for a few weeks and have to say they are absolutely fantastic.  I tell people it's the most 'boring' ball ever which is exactly what I want.  It does everything I need for it to do with zero surprises.  It's as reliable on the course as an old pair of worn in boots.  It gave me some extra spin around the green and a little more ballspeed off of the driver.

I'd be interested in hearing what you find it puts you into.

My bag is a revolving door!

4 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Not sure if you've tried it or not yet but the ball fitting that Ping offers is pretty interesting and can provide a fantastic comparison of the balls you play vs. other options that might fit you better.

https://ballfitting.com/

I did the fitting and it put me in the new Callaway Chrome Soft X ('22) which I had never tried or considered.  I purchased some and have been playing them now for a few weeks and have to say they are absolutely fantastic.  I tell people it's the most 'boring' ball ever which is exactly what I want.  It does everything I need for it to do with zero surprises.  It's as reliable on the course as an old pair of worn in boots.  It gave me some extra spin around the green and a little more ballspeed off of the driver.

I'd be interested in hearing what you find it puts you into.

I gave that a look but the site wants $40.  If I'm going to pay for a fitting I'd rather get on a quad and actually hit balls than rely on a website.

Glad to see it's worked out for you though.

3 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Why not go MTB-X. hard ball with nice but not too much spin. Same with Vero X1.

Seconded. The Vero X1 is a bomber off the driver, mostly because it's crazy low spin (105 swing speed nets ~2100 rpm for a ProV1 for me and the Vero was closer to 1600 for me. Which is too low for me.) The CSX LS might be an intriguing option. It is by no means a low-spin ball. It's a lower-spinning version of the CSX. The regular CS is going to be lower-spinning than the LS... This is what happens when the marketing team and engineering team don't talk to one another....

I think the Bridgestone BX should give you a great blend of performance, though I suspect you might really like the ProV1 Left Dot 😉 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I have zero issues with Titleist covers. Prov1 is going to give you less spin around the greens ime. Left dash that was mentioned earlier gives you prov1x performance while dropping spin.

I haven’t tried the newest release of the Bridgestone balls but haven’t liked any of their releases when they changes to the tour B line from the b330 line.

22 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I find Bridgestone covers to be the most resilient of premium balls with extensive tree and cart path testing under my belt. Srixons seem good but have the raised seem appear which puts me off. But I haven't tried Snell or Callaway.

I feel the B'stone dimples perform best in the wind (V1 left dot likely best). I just switched from the B XS to the V1X to see if there is a gain in launch and ball speed. My game improvement Ping shovels are low spin, so a mid-high spin ball works best for me. The regular Z Star is notably lower spin on GC Quad which lead to some low hooks on driver which is the miss I can't have as someone aiming for a fade. This crept up with the BX in the past since I deliver driver around 4 deg up and seek to hit it high on the face. I will give the Z Star XV another shot as it worked well in the past and my swing is better than 2-3 years ago when I last played it. 

I always stray away from the B XS looking for something better (100-105 driver speed, ball speed in the low - mid 150s) and then begin shooting lower scores when I put it back in play. With your speed, the BX makes sense but the only way to decide is play them all multiple rounds and see what you notice. Anecdotally, the Bridgestones and Srixons seemed straighter when I hit it poorly compared to Titleist. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I switched from V1x to V1 and then to BX. Both Titleist balls would occasionally zip off the green. I want a ball that hits and stops. The BX is really good all around and unless its a tight lie with with a wedge I don't spin it off greens.  It does what I want off tee and irons. Around the green I like the V1 better however the new iteration has closed the gap some. As far as covers go IMO the BX is a little more durable. That being said, it is completely normal for me to shave ANY ball with just one wedge swing, so for me the longevity of each ball is about the same. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

21 hours ago, greggarner said:

The CSX LS might be an intriguing option. It is by no means a low-spin ball. It's a lower-spinning version of the CSX. The regular CS is going to be lower-spinning than the LS... This is what happens when the marketing team and engineering team don't talk to one another....

This is very true not to derail or side track but I have seen this and many of the reviews online have seen the same thing. If compression was not as big a concern CS is indeed the lowest spinning option. Confusing for sure.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm strongly considering a switch from the Pro V1X, largely because it's spinning too much for me on approaches and greenside.  I hit a couple approaches last night with PW and GW that landed at or near pin-high but then spun back, in one case off the green.  I like some good check obviously, but I'm getting too much.  Greenside, I hit several chips right where I wanted and got almost no release, or at least not as much as I wanted.

For the hell of it, I tried out a Tour B X (the Bryson ball) for my last couple holes and liked it; it definitely released a little more, and off the driver it felt good and was certainly as long as the Titleist.  And, I'm convinced the Bridgestone cover is more durable than the Titleist.  (I played the B XS a bit last year and the cover holds up well.)

A couple questions for the community...see any flaws in my logic or anything I'm not thinking about?  Anyone gaming the Bryson ball and have any feedback?  And, should I be checking out the Z Star XV in your opinion?  I played it a bit a couple years ago and was kind of "meh" about it.  Of course I've combed through the MGS ball test write-ups but I'm also interested in anyone elses feedback.

My playing speed with driver is around 107-110.

Thanks.

I would recommend the Titleist AVX.  Good distance and control with less spin.  It is a premium ball but an Alternate to the ProV1 and the Prov1X.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions.  I’m planning to give the BX a trial run but will also try the XV, and maybe Left Dash. At the end of the day, I’m after less spin but not low spin, but still a high compression (which I think knocks AVX out right?).  Again, the Callaway stuff…just don’t know that I trust the consistency ball to ball.

I'd recommend the 2019 TP5X if you haven't tried it.  I'm stocking up on this ball, for me it does everything I need, high bombs off the driver, boring flight into wind and doesn't' spin like crazy on softer/wet greens.  

I tried the Srixon ZX found it way too clicky.  The < -prov1x > is a close second but for me the '19 tp5x is longer.   The 2021 TP5X feels like a prov1 to me, kinda like the Penta back in the day...too soft and spinny...

Driver:  Taylormade SIM2 10.5 OG Motore F3 70x with TP 1.5*  tip - 1 notch to lower

3W: Srixon ZX 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Black HandCrafted 6.0 

5W: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 18* TC serial, HZRDUS Yellow  70g

4i: Srixon ZU85 23*, Recoil F4 95S

5i: Srixon ZU85 26*, Recoil F4 95X

6-PW:  Callaway Apex MB 2021, Project X IO 6.0

Wedges: Vokey SM8 Blk 50-08F, SM8 56-08M (55*), Vokey SM8 WedgeWorks 60 T (61*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5, Pistolini Grip

Ball: 2019 Taylormade TP5X (sometimes Pro-V1x left dash)

Bag:  Titleist Players 4 Stadry

It is not an absolute that the compression difference in tour quality balls translate to shorter distances with not as high compression. You’d need to go through a ball fitting to find the best ball for you. Besides the comparable Z-Star balls, there is now a lower spin ZX ball analogous to the left dash Pro-V1x. There are enough tour pros with swing speeds over 110 using either the V or the X to not say the compression difference is a key factor in distance. 

May the best ball win. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

I 100% understand where you're coming from.  I get aggravated by the same thing; i can't control my spin well enough to know when it's going to "zip" and when it's not.  But i do usually put loads of spin on it.  Here's what i did:  i tried some balls, specifically the non-urethane balls.  The Titleist Trufeel is a fine ball that fits exactly what you're talking about.  No, it's not going to do a "one hop and stop" from a chip off the side of the green, but it NEVER spins backwards, sometimes it stops where it lands, and usually it rolls out forward a couple of yards at the most (except for chips, it'll roll out further depending on trajectory).  The REAL plus side to them, besides the reliability of knowing what they'll do when they hit the green, is their durability (i suppose the fact that they're only half as expensive is a major deal too).  You can play several rounds with one of these, but your Pro VI won't make it through 18 holes due to cover abrasions (and those cover abrasions on the Pro V's seem to affect it WAY MORE than cover abrasions on the Trufeel's).  Just my two cents; and i'm a 4 handicap for what that's worth.

I'm finding my -V1X are less spinney around the greens, long off the tee though. 

I'm readjusting my approach shots to allow for it as I do like the feel of the ball. They do stop quickly, just not as quick as a V1X or V1 in my experience. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

15 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

I would recommend the Titleist AVX.  Good distance and control with less spin.  It is a premium ball but an Alternate to the ProV1 and the Prov1X.  

14 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions.  I’m planning to give the BX a trial run but will also try the XV, and maybe Left Dash. At the end of the day, I’m after less spin but not low spin, but still a high compression (which I think knocks AVX out right?).  Again, the Callaway stuff…just don’t know that I trust the consistency ball to ball.

I was going to quote the above post about the downside of the avx and that form what you posted you weren’t trying to lower ball flight which is what the avx would do along with reducing spin. So yes that would knock the avx out for you.

Remember for the most part while it will vary between golfer we aren’t talking a lot of spin difference between balls. Most iirc from the ball study is 200-500rpm

On 4/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

You and I are on the same search! Literally. So far this year Ive tried Left Dash, new BX, XV, Z Star, Z Star Diamond, and I have a new dozen TP5X waiting on me that hasn’t been opened yet. BX is the leader in the clubhouse. Overall feel, distance, spin on approach/around the green, and durability are all very good. It performs exactly how I want my ball to perform. I’m going to give the newest TP5X a shot since I have access to them at a lower cost, but if I’m picking today, BX is my choice this year. Like you, I can’t do Callaway… Left Dash is WAY too low spin for me off driver, too many low hooks, and it’s too hard. I do not like it at all!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

You and I are on the same search! Literally. So far this year Ive tried Left Dash, new BX, XV, Z Star, Z Star Diamond, and I have a new dozen TP5X waiting on me that hasn’t been opened yet. BX is the leader in the clubhouse. Overall feel, distance, spin on approach/around the green, and durability are all very good. It performs exactly how I want my ball to perform. I’m going to give the newest TP5X a shot since I have access to them at a lower cost, but if I’m picking today, BX is my choice this year. Like you, I can’t do Callaway… Left Dash is WAY too low spin for me off driver, too many low hooks, and it’s too hard. I do not like it at all!

Interesting.  What did you find lacking with XV and Diamond?

I use the BX all last year primarily. I found the cover to get scuffed more so than the Titleist pro v1x. I switched to using the pro v1x late in the season and found it to be more resistant to scuffs from irons than the Bridgestone ball. It seemed like I was taking the BX ball out of rotation quicker because of the scuffs than I thought I should be compared to how long I could play a pro v1x. Maybe I need a little more research on that though. The pro v1x definitely has more zip off the green but I'm also looking for a little more spin with chipping so I may have to hit long to protect myself. This all being said, I may still look into the 2022 version of the BX and give it a shot.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Referring back to the OG poster, I have found exactly the same thing with the ProV1x and ProV1.  Excess spin on wedge approach shots and no release on greenside shots.  I guess if I played courses set up like the pro tour I would need this much spin but I am really questioning whether it's necessary for us amateurs.  The Snell MTB and MTB-X seem like a good options to try as well as the Bridgestone.  

:titelist-small: 913D (8.5), 913Fd (15), 913h (19) Diamana shafts

:taylormade-small:  P790 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 

:benhogan-small:TK-15 52,56,60 KBS Tour Wedge

:odyssey-small: O-Works Versa #2

Pro V1x, Vice Pro Plus