TESTERS WANTED! ×

Phil marks return at Southern Hills and commits to the LIV golf league

TCUfrog

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

Do you watch those tours?

Yes, along with the Champions, Korn Ferry, Collegiate, and LPGA.  The quality of golfers and shot making on all of them are rarified air and, while the PGA Tour is great, I don't find watching the other venues to be a letdown in the least.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That's correct. Entire field gets paid. Which i can see being attractive. Still all of these guys are done lucky to be playing golf for their profession. A spot many of us would swap to do even if it was just PGA events. I'm sure many know how lucky they are as well. I don't fault them for wanting to make more money. I think most wouldn't mind getting extra to assist us. However RMac said it pretty good. He is happy, has a good going, ankle to sort his family, has clothing and living a good life all because he is good at a sport he loves.

And he has a net worth in excess of 100 million. At that level - how much more money do you need. For him it's about being the best - winning majors. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

And he has a net worth in excess of 100 million. At that level - how much more money do you need. For him it's about being the best - winning majors. 

Why does it matter how much a person has or is worth and weather they want more of it? People get caught up in concerning themselves too much with the the amount of money or possessions people have and ignore the effort they put into that getting too where they are at.

We all should be trying to make as much as possible. I want what many call F U money and I don’t think that’s being greedy at all.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The money aspect of it is what gets me at the moment.  Most of the guys on the tour who would cause a stir by jumping to the LIV are not hurting for money, but with the amounts of money that are being talked about for everyone that even participates it would make sense to jump.  Think about the fact that the fields will be smaller and the difference between the say top 20 players there and everyone else would be a chasm as opposed to the gradual decline you see in the PGA (don't hold that number as true, but at some point there would be a cliff in level of play). So anyone who says they want to go play against the best in the world is kidding themselves and worse they are trying to make you believe them.  Now for the those players not in that elite group why wouldn't you make the jump?  Easy/guaranteed money, a chance to play on the last day as a contender with a few of the top players in the world, increased visibility for your sponsors, the ability to get sponsors (at least ones not concerned with being associated with the tour), and any other perks that might not be afforded to them in the PGA.  So from a money aspect it really is all about the money and not about playing against the best to be the best.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Totally in agreement and especially Sergio after his last rules blow-up. 

I think the blow up was the PGA Rules officials making a mistake.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

I think the blow up was the PGA Rules officials making a mistake.

It was actually a referee. According to the rules he could have played a second ball until a rules official made the final determination which they ultimately did but couldn't change the score. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I wonder how long the LIV money will last? There’s reason to believe the PGA will be around in 10 years, I can’t imagine the Saudis will want to throw ridiculous amounts of money at LIV forever - the money isn’t going to make everyone forget about their atrocities, which is their actual goal. IOW LIV might not be the most lucrative long term, especially if they scale back money or fold up their tents in 10 years or less. Make sense for older players with low probability of winning on the PGA like Sergio and Phil, but not for todays real PGA contenders - they draw audiences.

Headlines like this won’t help - ”Greg Norman Shrugs Off Khashoggi Murder While Promoting Saudi-Backed Golf Tour: ‘We All Make Mistakes’” https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/golf-legend-greg-norman-ceo-161043390.html

Norman has lost any moral authority he ever had…he’s a $ wh__e now.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Phil is out of the PGA Championship. Will he ever play in a PGA event again?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

That's unfortunate and I hope he does at some point.  The next question is whether he plays the Shark Tour?

3 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Upsetting for sure. And I can’t help but think that he withdrew for what would likely have been a massive distraction that he’d bring to the Championship. ☹️ 

Every question from reporters would be about the LIV and his previous comments. 

Hopefully Tiger’s presence will be more of a focus from the press. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

14 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I wonder if he was suspended from playing this week, which would have made playing in the PGA less distracting. This is getting to be too much. Phil said stupid  and obnoxious things and deserved criticism but not to be cancelled from playing majors. 

7 minutes ago, LICC said:

I wonder if he was suspended from playing this week, which would have made playing in the PGA less distracting. This is getting to be too much. Phil said stupid  and obnoxious things and deserved criticism but not to be cancelled from playing majors. 

My understanding is that he withdrew himself. 

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

11 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

Upsetting for sure. And I can’t help but think that he withdrew for what would likely have been a massive distraction that he’d bring to the Championship

Whenever Phil plays again he's going to be the primary focus of the media, and he's going to get grilled endlessly, and he going to be a distraction to the event.  In my view, it might just be best for him to "rip the bandage off" and get that part over with.  I really thought that the PGA might be the most logical place to do that, based on his win last year, and the fact that the PGA Championship isn't run by the entity (PGA Tour) that he slammed so hard in his conversation with Shipnuck.  He's just extending the slow drip of torture by withdrawing this week.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

36 minutes ago, berkeleybob said:

Exactly. He pulled out himself and not any action from the pga tour or the pga organization.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Whenever Phil plays again he's going to be the primary focus of the media, and he's going to get grilled endlessly, and he going to be a distraction to the event.  In my view, it might just be best for him to "rip the bandage off" and get that part over with.  I really thought that the PGA might be the most logical place to do that, based on his win last year, and the fact that the PGA Championship isn't run by the entity (PGA Tour) that he slammed so hard in his conversation with Shipnuck.  He's just extending the slow drip of torture by withdrawing this week.

I understand this comment and agree to a point.  What if he's showing respect for the game and wanting to be the spectacle at a non-major rather than raining on everyone's parade at the PGA?  Perhaps we will see him in an event between now and the US Open so the bandage gets ripped off and we are able to move forward.  

IMO this entire thing has been bizarre.  I'm unusual in that I'm not a big Phil fan - not a hatter but just not a huge Phil guy.  He comes across to me as a bit plastic (to me - it's the way I feel and feelings are hard to change - my daughter loves him as to so many others).  I'm ready for the side show to end but very happy that it won't be at the PGA where it would then be forced to have all Phil, all the time.  Give me Tiger any day. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Honestly, it's a big to do about nothing. Name past winning golfers going for big money, that will not stay afloat for any real amount of time. It's all about the money, regardless of which tour they play. For the real playing fans of the game, there's only 4 tournaments that mean anything in the world of golf and we all know what they are. For those players that willingly give up the chance to compete in those, for the sake of the almighty dollar, just boggles the mind. 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

5 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

I know. But if he played this week (the Byron Nelson) he would have gotten the initial circus over with and could have been less a distraction at the PGA. Unless he wasn’t allowed to play this week. 

23 hours ago, revkev said:

I understand this comment and agree to a point.  What if he's showing respect for the game and wanting to be the spectacle at a non-major rather than raining on everyone's parade at the PGA?  Perhaps we will see him in an event between now and the US Open so the bandage gets ripped off and we are able to move forward.  

IMO this entire thing has been bizarre.  I'm unusual in that I'm not a big Phil fan - not a hatter but just not a huge Phil guy.  He comes across to me as a bit plastic (to me - it's the way I feel and feelings are hard to change - my daughter loves him as to so many others).  I'm ready for the side show to end but very happy that it won't be at the PGA where it would then be forced to have all Phil, all the time.  Give me Tiger any day. 

That's the interesting thing about your final comment as there are so many parallels between the two yet completely different standards in the court of public opinion. 

I too was really hoping he would "rip the band aid off" and get the media frenzy over with (well, maybe not 100%, but most anyway) but he chose not to and, at least thus far, we don't know why.  Now, presuming he wants a chance at completing the grand slam, one would think he's faced with a tough decision on whether to simply make Brookline CC the place the event within the event will happen or a non-major event. And of course, if he plays the Shark Tour events, he may not be allowed to play a regular event (or may have to Monday qualify). Like Tiger, they both are up against Father Time and the grade up the hill increases at a faster rate as the years go by... cannot afford to let opportunities slip by.

While I'm not a fan of what's going on the LIV tour, I do miss seeing Phil perform magic with his wedges. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 5/11/2022 at 8:09 AM, Middler said:

+1. I couldn’t care less if I see Phil (or Sergio) play again, but I realize he still has fans. I have no interest in players who defect to a tour backed by “scary mother….”

As much as I would like to see them both play again, it really wont affect me either way. I do not feel i will show support for the new tour. 

Dsweet the hack