TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hybrid upgrade?

Hi,

I have some old hybrids (1 and 3) from back in the day when Nike made clubs.

Has hybrid technology changed enough over the last 10 years to warrant getting new ones? I’ve had mixed responses so curious to get everyone’s take. Thanks!

TS2

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

Minzuno OMOI #2

I'd lean towards hybrid tech being better nowadays, however if the clubs you have now get you the flight and distance that you need and work with the rest of the gapping in your bag, they may be worth holding onto.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Hybrids have improved some on the technology front but it's generally limited due to the smaller physical size of the hybrid head. The biggest changes have mostly been on the design front where you can get a hybrid in just about any shape or size you could imagine. With the correct head and shaft you can get whatever launch and spin characteristics you desire for about any given loft. Will a new hybrid lower your scores? It really depends on how well you're current hybrids fit your needs. If you have old Nike hybrids, they may fit you just fine and still perform okay. I think you could more than likely find something better today if you were able to get some time on a launch monitor at a golf shop or had a proper fitting. I know a bunch of people that still swear by their old Adams and Ben Hogan hybrids that are still in their bags. Again, it really depends on your needs. If you trying to fill specific yardage gaps and your Nike hybrids go those specific distances, then what you have may be sufficient unless you are looking for a different spin/launch profile. If you're needing a hybrid for max distance, then some the new stuff is much hotter and will give you some gains relative to the old Nike stuff.

To sum it all up, there have been quite a few technology improvements in golf since the early 2000s. However, most of that improvement has really been in drivers and woods. You could argue the real world scoring and performance improvements in everything below a fairway wood has been relatively questionable. The biggest improvement in the last two decades has been proper launch monitors for good fittings.

5 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I'd lean towards hybrid tech being better nowadays, however if the clubs you have now get you the flight and distance that you need and work with the rest of the gapping in your bag, they may be worth holding onto.

Thank you!  I may demo outdoors to get a feel. Finally warming up in Minnesota!

5 hours ago, Kansas King said:

Hybrids have improved some on the technology front but it's generally limited due to the smaller physical size of the hybrid head. The biggest changes have mostly been on the design front where you can get a hybrid in just about any shape or size you could imagine. With the correct head and shaft you can get whatever launch and spin characteristics you desire for about any given loft. Will a new hybrid lower your scores? It really depends on how well you're current hybrids fit your needs. If you have old Nike hybrids, they may fit you just fine and still perform okay. I think you could more than likely find something better today if you were able to get some time on a launch monitor at a golf shop or had a proper fitting. I know a bunch of people that still swear by their old Adams and Ben Hogan hybrids that are still in their bags. Again, it really depends on your needs. If you trying to fill specific yardage gaps and your Nike hybrids go those specific distances, then what you have may be sufficient unless you are looking for a different spin/launch profile. If you're needing a hybrid for max distance, then some the new stuff is much hotter and will give you some gains relative to the old Nike stuff.

To sum it all up, there have been quite a few technology improvements in golf since the early 2000s. However, most of that improvement has really been in drivers and woods. You could argue the real world scoring and performance improvements in everything below a fairway wood has been relatively questionable. The biggest improvement in the last two decades has been proper launch monitors for good fittings.

Thanks so much for detailed response. Appreciate all of your thoughts. 

TS2

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

Minzuno OMOI #2

20 minutes ago, Mbeckman03 said:

Thank you!  I may demo outdoors to get a feel. Finally warming up in Minnesota!

Thanks so much for detailed response. Appreciate all of your thoughts. 

Another approach is to take your hybrid to a golf store (with trackman or GC Quad) and compare performance to new ones. New doesn't always equate to better so always good to have data for comparison. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Another approach is to take your hybrid to a golf store (with trackman or GC Quad) and compare performance to new ones. New doesn't always equate to better so always good to have data for comparison. 

Great call. I have a golf Galaxy by me and can use their trackman

TS2

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

Minzuno OMOI #2

I would think that the shafts have upgraded in the past 10 years.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Not really. Its certainly possible that you find a modern hybrid that fits your game better at generates better turf interaction or launch conditions. Some of the Nike hybrids had more weight forward which reduces spin and can increase distance for someone with club head speed. But you might need a deeper COG to elevate the ball. Depends on your swing.

But in terms of tech, theres not a huge difference. Some of the Adams models are still the best hybrids out there. I think Callaway's best hybrid is the 2016 Apex. I like the 818 Titleist offerings just as much as the t series. Despite trying to replace it with newer offerings, I'm still gaming a Cobra F7 from 2016. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I have a Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid and a Apex 3 that with Jail Break. Honestly they are both brilliant and I find little difference between the two. However I have hit some older Hybrids and I did find them not as easy to hit and that did feel anywhere near as positive. 

For me the Epic is probably the best club in my bag. I hit is on average 200-210m (220-235yds) and it feels effortless.

My suggestion is go to a pro shop and hit some. 

Edited by Firebird
Spelling

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

11 hours ago, Firebird said:

I have a Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid and a Apex 3 that with Jail Break. Honestly they are both brilliant and I find little difference between the two. However I have hit some older Hybrids and I did find them not as easy to hit and that did feel anywhere near as positive. 

For me the Epic is probably the best club in my bag. I hit is on average 200-210m (220-235yds) and it feels effortless.

My suggestion is go to a pro shop and hit some. 

Thank you!  I went to golf galaxy this past weekend and tried a few clubs out. My result is that I first need to hit my hybrid a bit more consistent before I get a new club. Basically, I hit them all the same but I will say that the newer clubs gave me about 10-15 yards more than my current set. 

Once I feel more confident, I’ll go for the upgrade! 

TS2

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

Minzuno OMOI #2

22 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Not really. Its certainly possible that you find a modern hybrid that fits your game better at generates better turf interaction or launch conditions. Some of the Nike hybrids had more weight forward which reduces spin and can increase distance for someone with club head speed. But you might need a deeper COG to elevate the ball. Depends on your swing.

But in terms of tech, theres not a huge difference. Some of the Adams models are still the best hybrids out there. I think Callaway's best hybrid is the 2016 Apex. I like the 818 Titleist offerings just as much as the t series. Despite trying to replace it with newer offerings, I'm still gaming a Cobra F7 from 2016. 

Thank you!  

I plan to head back to Golf Galaxy and rest a few more after some more range work. Appreciate the thoughts!

TS2

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

Minzuno OMOI #2