TESTERS WANTED! ×

All Quiet on the Teebox Front?

When I play, I hit my shot when ready. I don't wait for my playing partners to be quiet as a church mouse. If they are talking in the background, I don't care. Does not bother me. I believe the whole you-must-be-quiet-before-I-hit is garbage. MJ, Bird, and Kobe, can hit a clutch free throw and ignore the fans why can't my playing partner do the same? Get to your ball, ignore the surroundings, play your shot. Being quiet is overrated. #16 at the Phoenix Open is proof.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I actually prefer a little noise. The worst is when people are talking and then realize you are swinging and then shut up, and now your unconscious mind goes to the lack of noise. Either be quiet, or talk, but not both. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Talking and noise don't bother me.  There is a guy in our group who can hear the thunderous footsteps of a cockroach two fairways away.  He once hit a bad shot and started complaining about the noise birds were making.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

There is a big difference between background noise and clear chatter.

My home course is right next to a motorway, and it just blends into the background like wind through the trees, a waterfall or babbling brook would.  Even the odd siren etc doesn't usually affect me.  Nor do 'mumblings' from other people.

My playing partners and I always pause the banter for the swing though, but that is actual conversation which we are involved in, so will interfere with concentration.

I'm ok if it's constant chatter - it's when someone starts a loud conversation when I'm mid swing. And especially annoying when that happens as I'm putting. Virtually all of the guys either here at our Fl club or the one in Ohio tend to hold conversations during swings. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't expect total quiet, but I can't stand it when someone is being ignorant and loud. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I like chatter, background noise and can even handle a conversation starting when I'm mid swing. Honestly I'm not good enough to ****** about a bad swing and blame someone else, I can always stop my swing if I need.  The one thing that I hate is when my group is behind and decide to change positions or shuffle or walk to their bag. I'm talking within 5-10 yards in my peripheral vision. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I don't really care much about noise but greatly prefer stillness in my sight line.  I don't like when someone is talking to me when it's my turn to hit - I like to have a little reflective time to select my club and visualize the shot.  In the end though it really doesn't make that much difference, I'm still playing golf and it's a fun day.

As for the comment about NBA players and crowd noise, different sports, different expectations.  Those guys all grew up playing with lots of crowd noise, golfers don't and there's a different level and type of concentration needed to hit a 15 foot on a putt that is never exactly the same from the last time that one was hit and shooting a free throw that is basically always the same, no matter what.  Number 16 at Phoenix is loud but generally speaking the noise comes after the shot.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great topic. I just had a similar conversation with a guy that I was playing with yesterday afternoon.

There are three munis where I live and we were discussing the differences in scenery and noise. One is on the edge of town and feels like you are way out of town. Pretty quiet through most of the course. The second is within a residential neighborhood close to a hospital so it is really quiet aside from the occasional sirens. Definitely does not feel like I am in the middle of town while playing there. The third is adjacent to two four lane roads, one of them being a highway. This also seems to be to “go-to course” for a lot of people in town so it is usually busier and much noisier than the other two. It’s not that the noise is bothersome but, I definitely realize that it is not there at the other two courses.

As far as others talking while I am swinging goes, a group of four let us play through yesterday and they continued to have their conversation amongst themselves as we swung. I actually found it to be more relaxing because I didn’t feel like “all eyes are watching” 😂

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Most people I play with stop conversation when your about to swing. I can handle talking just not someone yelling. I've played courses right alongside highways, railroads and even international airports. Heck I even have a course I play a few times a year in Sevierville TN where they have a helicopter tour facility right across the street. They always fly in right over your head every 15 minutes and give tourists a golf course view right before landing. You just tune it out. 

Nothing gets to me more than a pro complain about a camera click or someone moving in the gallery. But you never see them complaining about the jerk who is sticking his head out 30 yards down the narrow path of his shot to see a pro hitting a ball almost directly toward him to get back to the fairway or an attempt to get to the green. News flash...... that ball can kill you.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I would prefer quiet, but I know that's not possible.  Constant noise is fine; we have a couple of holes along the interstate so it's noisy.  Conversation on the tee box is OK as long as it's steady; not talk, then quiet, then talk.  When that happens and I'm about to swing, the lull in conversation messes with me; I'm thinking about whether or not the conversation will start back up and not about the shot.  I will back off... it usually gets quiet then.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 4/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, scooterhd2 said:

I actually prefer a little noise. The worst is when people are talking and then realize you are swinging and then shut up, and now your unconscious mind goes to the lack of noise. Either be quiet, or talk, but not both. 

I agree either is fine sudden noise is the issue for me.  All quiet all of a sudden someone’s phone rings or they start talking.  Talking/not talking either is fine with me. 

Larry A. Merrick 

Back when I played in my 20's with a group of like minded individuals, we were more in the mode of laughing and talking while we were hitting, waiting to hit, or walking to the next shot.  Being quite was not in our repertoire, but for us that was the norm.  We would be quite if we waiting to tee up with others still teeing off, but once they were done and moving on we were back to being ourselves and enjoying what we were doing.  I miss those days now as the new groups I play with talk between the tee and green but are quiet otherwise.  I hate the quiet more than I would have ever figured.

As an add on, we were once reprimanded by a group in front of us because we were disturbing their rounds as they could hear us when they were teeing off or generally moving.  We made sure we had to yell fore on a couple of holes on the back nine but were quieter otherwise.  And no, we didn't actually hit into them, we just yelled fore.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

• 2 weeks later...

Steady noise I am good with, trains, road noise, a cart or group on another hole is acceptable to me. What I don't like is what a few others have said. About to hit your shot and someone will make noise, whisper or move as you're pulling the trigger. I had this happen to me over the weekend. Par 3 186ish yards, my ball comes up short, just didn't hit clean so now I have a really long 2nd shot 50ish feet, I putt it past the hole about 4'. Guy I'm playing with hits a decent shot and is about 15'. he putts his ball to about 5' tough read to be honest. He misses his par put and boogies the hole and is IRRATE at the course and is venting pretty. I wait till I think he's done, in the middle of my backswing he lets out more F bomb and I miss my putt. I may have missed it regardless but he did draw my attention away from my shot. I just looked at the other guys and was like WTF. Onto the next hole and try to make up that stroke that I feel was taken away from me. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I play with strangers often, so quiet is just one those I-don’t-know-you/you-don’t-know-me default modes. I think laughter at the tee box is nice when I’m in on the laughter myself, and not left wondering in the back of my mind, “What’s so funny with my golfmates?” But overall, like others here, sudden noises are the distracting ones to me.

What’s more distracting to me at the tee box is when someone is standing too close behind me. Standing three steps back behind the ball, I swing my club as I line up my shot, and I’ve almost hit a guy. Dude. Get away from me.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

• 2 weeks later...

As long as it's consistent, it doesn't bother me and most should be able to block it out

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

I prefer noise over quiet.  Not obnoxious noise... but I can deal with that better than church silence... I can tune out ambient (even standing next to me ambient) noise... but you hear EVERYTHING if it is quiet.  Also, when it is silent on the tee box, it feels more like everyone is watching your every waggle, setup, etc with a critical eye, which makes me start thinking about every little move in my setup and swing with an overly technical mind.  Every play in a horserace?  Perfect environment for me 🙂

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
On 5/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Most people I play with stop conversation when your about to swing. I can handle talking just not someone yelling. I've played courses right alongside highways, railroads and even international airports. Heck I even have a course I play a few times a year in Sevierville TN where they have a helicopter tour facility right across the street. They always fly in right over your head every 15 minutes and give tourists a golf course view right before landing. You just tune it out. 

Nothing gets to me more than a pro complain about a camera click or someone moving in the gallery. But you never see them complaining about the jerk who is sticking his head out 30 yards down the narrow path of his shot to see a pro hitting a ball almost directly toward him to get back to the fairway or an attempt to get to the green. News flash...... that ball can kill you.

I just moved from Fort Wayne. For years I played frequently at Brookwood Golf Club which is basically adjacent to an Air Force National Guard unit and the Fort Wayne International Airport. Routinely F-15's and now A-10's do touch-and-go drills. One of the paths takes the planes right over a couple of the tee boxes/greens. Several years ago I was on the 2nd tee addressing my ball and about ready to swing when an F-15 came in just over the tree-tops. It was truly 'wave at the pilot' low. The ground shook and air whipped and my ball fell off the tee. I don't have a problem with noise, but that was a bit distracting. Planes go over that course all day long, but that was the first time that I actually saw a plane low enough that a high wedge shot could have hit the plane! Gave us a good laugh, though!