Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How many balls do you lose per round

Old golf joke: This course was so tough I lost 3 balls in the ball washers. Only a person who loses lots of balls appreciates that old joke.

When I get home from a round my wife doesn’t ask me how I did. Instead she asks, “how many balls did you lose.” That’s no joke, she does.

I played a tournament when I was a young man with a wicked banana slice, and I lost 6 balls in the third flight of the final round. At the end of that round the guy I was playing against said to me, “The way you dress, I thought you were a much better golfer.”

I hardly hit the banana ball anymore, but what aggravates me more is losing a ball in the rough. I can accept hitting it deep in the woods or in the water, but knowing it’s right there, somewhere in the tall grass, really gets to me. And in the fall, when the sun is low, leaves are on the ground, and the grounds crew has slowed their mowing schedule, I tend to lose more balls per round … but I also find more, too, Last year I tied my old 6 lost balls in a round record, but I found 7 balls as well. Of course, I never find balls as desirable to me as the ones I lose.

So that’s my record: 6 lost / 7 found, in the same round. Although I also had a day last year with 5 lost / 4 found. She was still pissed.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

When I started out - even up to a few years ago, I lost so many during a round that I would only buy Slazengers which were 2 doz for $25. Today, I can play a couple of rounds and not lose any or like yesterday I lost 2 ( both in thick bushes). 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't count anymore. If I find more than I lose, I consider it a good round.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Likewise, I can go a few rounds losing none, but typically lose one every other 9- ish. 

my first round of the year this year was a disaster on that front though. New to me executive course and I lost 4 balls in 12 holes. 3 drives went missing that were (I assumed) right where I wanted them, only to never figure out where they went. Hate that. Naturally I blamed the kids in front of us. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

When I first started playing I probably lost 3-6 per round so I was always happy to find others while searching for mine. Today it’s not uncommon for me to lose 1 or 2 each round but, as of late I have been pretty good about keeping all of mine. Probably just jinxed myself for the next round…..

I have to agree with previous statements that losing them in the water or OB is part of the game but, losing one in the rough when you know that it’s right there is frustrating. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Heck, I've lost a few in the fairway before.  Last year as a beginner I lost upwards of a dozen balls on several occasions.  I was also a big fan of the "thrill of the hunt" and would play whatever I could find if I couldn't find mine.

I've lost 8-10 on an early round this season but recently it's been between 1 and 5.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

6 minutes ago, ParFore74x said:

I have to agree with previous statements that losing them in the water or OB is part of the game but, losing one in the rough when you know that it’s right there is frustrating. 

And depending on where you play - you may not want to get too close to either to retrieve them. 

IMG_8812.jpg.4a956185a927c3189c89491bf4bbba8d.jpg

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I used to lose 2-3 per round on average, with a worst of 5 balls a few times. I have backed off my swing, am hitting more fairways, and losing about 1 on average. I've played a few 18 hole rounds lately without losing a ball at all (that was unheard of for me a year ago), even went 38 holes before losing one last week. I may never run out of golf balls at my current lost ball pace. 😀

Teeing up a brand new ball and blasting it off into the woods/weeds never to be found on the first shot is one of life's notable irritations... 😟

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I lose an average of 0.33 balls per round.  I will play a ball for 3 rounds before I lose it or take it out of play.  OB is not in play for me at my course (never done it), and we have no woods that collect balls.  Very rarely is a ball lost in the rough (sometimes when leaves start falling); losses are mostly from a poor shots over water.  I minimize the cost by playing a ball that I have used for at least one round on holes with water; for me that's #3 (two opportunities to hit the water), #9, #12 (really bad shot to hit water but I've done it), #14 (if I shank it), and #15 (if I chunk it).  Haven't lost a ball on #14 and 15 this year (now I probably will this weekend).

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I loose 1.4 per round. The course usually plays the biggest factor. Slope of 125 or less, probably not gonna loose one. Slope closer to 145, especially water heavy, odds are im gonna loose a couple 2-5. My group of guys live on opposite corners of town so we bounce around a lot.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

3 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

We had a Dr who used to spend way too much time looking for balls at every creek & pond on the course. His buddies got him back during their yearly golf trip to Myrtle Beach. They saved cut surlyn golf balls all year, then the front group at Myrtle seeded every waterway with cut balls. Thrilled to find a ball then pissed to discover it was cut, they said he cussed his head off the entire trip. No one ever told him.

One of my golfing friends is a ball hawker. Whenever he gets close to a pond he immediate takes out his extended (16'?) ball retriever and pulls out every ball he can find  - no matter how bad it is. . I keep yelling at him - "we need to move along" since there's generally a 4some behind us. Then he'll use one of those ratty, water logged balls to hit over the water and of course it goes in - keep telling him it's a 'self-fulling prophecy' . FYI he can afford new golf balls. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I discard more balls than I lose.  I occasionally lose one every few rounds, but typically the ball will get scuffed or worn out and I'll take it out of play.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

i've lost a ball in the middle of the fairway 🤣

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I've done that before too.  I remember playing a course in Summerville SC and it was in less than desirable shape.  I striped a ball right down the middle of the fairway and the fairway was so bad that I couldn't locate the ball!  Never played that course again, either!  LOL

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I’m about 1.5 a round. Goal is to make it through a combined 18 w one

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I’m about 1.5 a round. Goal is to make it through a combined 18 w one

I made it today with only 1 pro v1. Technically, it did roll into the water by one foot on a hole, but i picked it out of the water. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

11 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I don't count anymore. If I find more than I lose, I consider it a good round.

This is the same for me. I tend to be a net positive after a round. And playing Kirkland Sig V2s, almost every ball I find is more "valuable" than mine! 🤣🤣🤣

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

It depends on the course. Some with thick rough, deep woods, and lots of water (a couple I used to play in WA) were routine ball eaters... as in never to be found.  Amongst the 10 courses I play in MT and AZ, I'd guess one "never to be found" ball every couple of rounds.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I’ve seen that a couple times in the Fall when there are leaves everywhere.

Most of the guys I play with use (pristine) found balls only, they’d never buy new. Fortunately they don’t slow play looking for found balls, only one guy I can think of - ridiculous. The only time I find balls is while looking for balls for my own foursome, and I don’t keep 80% of what I find- I toss them in the fairway for someone else to “find.” A couple of the regulars I play with only use ProV1’s they’ve found, they sell or give away all other brands/models - needless to say they spend hours a week looking for lost balls, often when not playing.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I don't really keep track of my lost ball count. If I had to guess, I lose one every 6th or 7th round. I probably find two or three a round and I'm not a hunter.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I'll join the club and say I have done it a few times. The last one I can remember was at Brown Acres Golf Club in Chattanooga. One of the worst feelings you can get out on the course. 

As far as balls lost during the round, I can play and lose one or two, but the last round I played I lost eight. 🤦‍♂️

Don't even have to think about it.  Since becoming mediocre at the game  7 lost balls, into water in one round.  River Hills CC in South Carolina.  This course seemed to have water, precisely where my balls were destined to come down on EVERY hole (and for clarification this was not the courses fault). Most of my balls came down in locations, which could best be described as resulting from "less than stellar club swings".  Maybe it wasn't every one, but I think it had water in play on like 12-15 holes or something.  On any given "normal" round its about 1 per round.

And while not exactly, on topic, (of looking while you play).  I lived on the E. Branch of the Chagrin River here in northeast Ohio.  Ok admittedly I was probably technically trespassing, but I was like 10-14 years of age. My brother and I would go fishing in the river, and the Kirtland Country Club, has 4 holes on the back nine that the tee shot is across the river.  Our record was 74 in one day.  We never really kept track, but we likely found in excess of 600 balls in the water, during any given summer.

Oh and maybe "its and Ohio thing", my wife also asks me how many balls I lose, like filing for bankruptcy hangs in the balance.  She really doesn't care I know but it is kind of odd.

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

The last set of rounds I played I lost five balls the first game, three the second game, and one ball the third. However, I have noticed—the cheaper the ball, the fewer I lose.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

normally I can go a couple rounds without losing a ball.  But on a bad day, it can be a couple lost.  Our 2 courses have lots of trouble areas so errant shots can get you into trouble quickly.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I usually lose ~2, but never finished a round with the same ball. Played a couple of months ago and hadn't lost one through 14 or 15 and said something about it to my group. Next hole was near a park and I hit one directly in the middle of the fairway. 2 middle school age kids ran from the park into the fairway, grabbed my ball, and took off on bikes. Nothing you can do but laugh.

I told the marshal when he came around just to let him know the kids were around and he offered me a free box of balls if I stopped at the club house after the round. Didn't even take him up on it for some reason lol. 

JK

Driver: Callaway Rogue

3W: Callaway Rogue

Hybrid: Callaway Apex

Irons: Callaway APEX 21

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore

Putter: PXG Hercules 

I think I've done it all.  When I first started golfing, it wasn't unusual to lose 6 or 7 balls. After a few years I thought my swing was getting better so I told a buddy that I just picked up 10 dozen Nike Platinum balls and these will last me a few years! Cue the shanks...couldn't get off the tee with a driver, fairway wood or iron. No swing was safe! One of the most frustrating months I had.  Let's just say those 10 dozen didn't last the month🤦‍♂️ (I played quite a bit more back then compared to now and I think that was also the time we went on a guys weekend away and played some courses that had a lot of water too).  Regardless, that stigma of potentially losing a ball like I did back then had me always carrying two dozen balls for years until recently.  Now I only carry a dozen as the swing has gotten better.  Now I may lose 1-2 balls a round.  I've also had the lost ball in the fairway happen to me as well. Stripped down the middle and couldn't find it (Patuxent Greens Golf Course).  There's a City course I used to play call Carroll Park Golf Course that has a blind tee shot on one of the holes. The kids would run out and grab your ball then try to sell it back to you when you go looking for it🤦‍♂️ Needless to say I haven't played that course in quite a few years.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder