Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What's your injury story?

DechamBRO

So, I haven't been on here for a solid 6 months. About mid-October my dad was out to visit, and during a round, when hitting out of the rough (Bermuda) i felt a pop in my lower back (I have had lower back issues for a solid 15 years at this point). I thought it was just another pulled muscle or something, but turns out I ruptured my disk, which is now pushing on the L5/S1 nerve. This feels like stabbing in my left hip/glute area, down my leg, and on the outside of my left calf/left outer ankle. So far I have had steroid injections, followed by a 2 week steroid pill, followed by a nerve ablation....I am maybe 60-70% better as I can walk and such without much issue. But, going from sitting to standing causes a very sharp pain for a few second, and it feels like it is starting to get worse again. I am trying to golf again, but ughhh, the pain is huge on my follow through. I am kinda hoping it gets worse again fast, so taht I can just have surgery and be done with it, but I feel like another nerve ablation, closer to the L5/S1 might be next.....

So, looking for motivation/inspiration, what is your injury story? How long did it take for you to recover, what did you have to go through, and how long until you were back to full golfing form?

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

Soooooo, things just keep getting worse. Have an appointment tomorrow and hope I don’t have to fight too hard for surgery. Just want to golf again pain free.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, DechamBRO said:

So, I haven't been on here for a solid 6 months. About mid-October my dad was out to visit, and during a round, when hitting out of the rough (Bermuda) i felt a pop in my lower back (I have had lower back issues for a solid 15 years at this point). I thought it was just another pulled muscle or something, but turns out I ruptured my disk, which is now pushing on the L5/S1 nerve. This feels like stabbing in my left hip/glute area, down my leg, and on the outside of my left calf/left outer ankle. So far I have had steroid injections, followed by a 2 week steroid pill, followed by a nerve ablation....I am maybe 60-70% better as I can walk and such without much issue. But, going from sitting to standing causes a very sharp pain for a few second, and it feels like it is starting to get worse again. I am trying to golf again, but ughhh, the pain is huge on my follow through. I am kinda hoping it gets worse again fast, so taht I can just have surgery and be done with it, but I feel like another nerve ablation, closer to the L5/S1 might be next.....

So, looking for motivation/inspiration, what is your injury story? How long did it take for you to recover, what did you have to go through, and how long until you were back to full golfing form?

I have continuing issues at L4-5. In my case, I felt it pop when I simply leaned back to finish a drink while standing. It dropped me to my knees, and the next six weeks were agonizing.  I had an epidural about three weeks in (and I had to short circuit the insurance company to get that), and that let me sleep a bit (I had been averaging 2 hours of sleep per day beforehand). I was on cutches for that time, as I lost most control of my left leg. I had a hemilaminectomy at about six weeks, and I walked out damn near perfect. I was cleared for full activity right away. My issue is caused by arthritis of the spine, and I have had an additional epidural since (last December), and that doctor says he expects me back every 4-5 years for the rest of my life. I am aggressive on my back and core therapy (3x per week, about 20 minutes each session). I am generally pain free, but sitting for long periods gets to me (my recent flare up was after driving 8 hours). I am extremely active, and the doctors think that is a big factor in how well I've responded (I'm 62, btw). FWIW, since the surgery my handicap has dropped from 11.5 to 5.2, so you got that to look forward to! Good luck!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Oh wow, that’s awesome. I just got out of my appointment and we are going the surgery route, getting a copy of the Mri to take back to him. It is the L5/S1 disk pushing on the nerve, so they are going to open it up so that it is no longer pinching. I was told that I also have a good amount of arthritis in the lower back as well. We shall see. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

So, got my boo-boo, 2 inch incision, hard to see with the rest of the trap stamp they drew on me🤣🤣🤣 First Day and a half felt stiff, but good. 2nd and third day has allot of nerve pain/burning. 4th day feeling good again, back muscles starting to loosen up a little. Long ways from hitting a golf ball right now.

image.jpeg.5be7ebc6927a863c73c64511abbb0b01.jpeg

39 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

So, got my boo-boo, 2 inch incision, hard to see with the rest of the trap stamp they drew on me🤣🤣🤣 First Day and a half felt stiff, but good. 2nd and third day has allot of nerve pain/burning. 4th day feeling good again, back muscles starting to loosen up a little. Long ways from hitting a golf ball right now.

image.jpeg.5be7ebc6927a863c73c64511abbb0b01.jpeg

My wife has a similar scar from her L5/S1 fusion in 2008.  The surgery really helped her but she still has some pain that is manageable.  Good luck on your rehab, and take it easy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 hours ago, Kenny B said:

My wife has a similar scar from her L5/S1 fusion in 2008.  The surgery really helped her but she still has some pain that is manageable.  Good luck on your rehab, and take it easy.

Glad to hear she is doing well. My uncle also had a microsicectomy like I did, his got much better, though his right foot still goes numb now and then. I just want to be able to golf again with minimal pain.

1 hour ago, DechamBRO said:

Glad to hear she is doing well. My uncle also had a microsicectomy like I did, his got much better, though his right foot still goes numb now and then. I just want to be able to golf again with minimal pain.

My wife had spondylolisthesis since she was in her early 20's.  Surgery then was like stone age compared to now.  She finally had in done when a doctor in Seattle told her it was the only option for the pain.  My wife was on drugs for awhile, but eventually got off except for one 5/300 hydrocodone when she plays golf.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 months later...

Oh man oh man oh man!!! I hit a full bucket of balls at the range the other day.....no increase in pain.......this might be happening soon!!! Goooooooooooooolllllllllllfffff!!!!!!!!

Seems about the appropriate timeline from a rehab standpoint. Just keep it simple and enjoy the little things!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review