TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sliding wedges under ball help

Why does this happen? On an occasion when hitting various wedges, I will flat out slide my wedges under the ball resulting  in the ball going maybe 20 yards if Im lucky. 

Ball too far forward? Open club face? A little flat which is not really likely with my swing? 

Thoughts or suggestions? 

Edited by pulledabill

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

If you release the club too early, the club will pass the hands at impact adding loft; ball hits too high on the club face.  Maintain shaft lean as you rotate through... compress the ball, then release.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good point and that is one my faults at times. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

You are adding loft at or before impact.

Could be ball position, could be your swing in general. But yes open face and too much loft.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Why does this happen? On an occasion when hitting various wedges, I will flat out slide my wedges under the ball resulting  in the ball going maybe 20 years if Im lucky. 

Ball too far forward? Open club face? A little flat which is not really likely with my swing? 

Thoughts or suggestions? 

I mean...not for nothing, but from the sounds of it, the key to time-travel lays within your hands.  Literally, in your wedges. 

20 YEARS? 

I've sent mine to a watery grave, to a beach party, sometimes to a dance-party, but never through time. 

Maybe clean your grooves? 😉

-Swanson

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

I mean...not for nothing, but from the sounds of it, the key to time-travel lays within your hands.  Literally, in your wedges. 

20 YEARS? 

I've sent mine to a watery grave, to a beach party, sometimes to a dance-party, but never through time. 

Maybe clean your grooves? 😉

-Swanson

Ha ha...thanks. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Are you seeing these shots from the fairway or from the rough?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Could be your posture at address and where your weight is in your feet. IF you have too much weight on your toes, you could be getting pulled "downward" when you swing your wedges due to centrifugal force pulling your shoulder down and that would explain your wedge being too low and going under the ball, Check to see IF your weight is on your toes, or more toward the "Ball" of your foot. That might be all if is in this case. Check it out and see. I used to do this, having my weight on my toes, until someond pointed it out to me and once I corrected my weight issue hitting fat or sliding the head under the ball was no longer an issue. That was about 10 years ago. and it has not come back since. Good luck with this. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

Lie is probably the top consideration when playing wedges (if not all non Tee shots). Any fluffy lie requires a different shot than a normal fairway lie or tight lie.  Sometimes really posh fairways can even make the ball sit up more.  

1. Check the lie to see that the ball is lying on solid ground.

2. If this is a persistent issue, choose a lower loft and play a less steep shot. (also do this for fluffy lies).

3. Practice your striking to ensure that you're maintaining some wrist angle through impact and launching the ball lower.  If you're making no divot, try to create at least a shallow divot.

OP posted same thread on wrx and Monte is offering free feedback on the swing but op hasn’t posted a video yet

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 5/1/2022 at 10:12 PM, pulledabill said:

Why does this happen? On an occasion when hitting various wedges, I will flat out slide my wedges under the ball resulting  in the ball going maybe 20 yards if Im lucky. 

Thoughts or suggestions? 

I go through the same funk once in a while although my shot isn't as severe as only going 20 yards.  I usually end up about 10 - 15 yards short and right of the target.  In my case my weight shift gets stuck on my back foot and I drop my back shoulder.  I lose the shaft lean and as suggested already I add loft and open the face by doing that.  

To get out of the funk, I exaggerate the weight on my front foot and don't shift to the back foot as much during the swing.  For me that promotes my hands staying ahead of the ball at impact and a good feel of compressing the ball.  Once I get that feel going again I don't need to exaggerate the weight shift.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

OP posted same thread on wrx and Monte is offering free feedback on the swing but op hasn’t posted a video yet

Didnt see where he said "show me". 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

6 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I go through the same funk once in a while although my shot isn't as severe as only going 20 yards.  I usually end up about 10 - 15 yards short and right of the target.  In my case my weight shift gets stuck on my back foot and I drop my back shoulder.  I lose the shaft lean and as suggested already I add loft and open the face by doing that.  

To get out of the funk, I exaggerate the weight on my front foot and don't shift to the back foot as much during the swing.  For me that promotes my hands staying ahead of the ball at impact and a good feel of compressing the ball.  Once I get that feel going again I don't need to exaggerate the weight shift.

Last range session I dedicated most of the session to wedges and basically flight control with my 50, 54, and 60 which are the clubs that this fault comes out on. 

Playing ball back in stance a bit certainly helped me. I think the ball got a bit forward and play for high ball flight was part of it. Placed ball back a bit and kept follow lower and that worked great. 

Played 18 last night and hit a few flight controlled 50s and 54s and things were TONS better. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

18 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

Didnt see where he said "show me". 

He said it was a major swing issue but he cant say without seeing the swing. That’s basically him saying to post the swing and he will tell you his thoughts. He does something similar in every thread when someone doesn’t post a swing 

On 5/5/2022 at 11:56 AM, pulledabill said:

Last range session I dedicated most of the session to wedges and basically flight control with my 50, 54, and 60 which are the clubs that this fault comes out on. 

Playing ball back in stance a bit certainly helped me. I think the ball got a bit forward and play for high ball flight was part of it. Placed ball back a bit and kept follow lower and that worked great. 

Played 18 last night and hit a few flight controlled 50s and 54s and things were TONS better. 

... Sounds like you are hitting it better so good for you! Just keep in mind it is very rare to take a full swing with a wedge and by "full swing" I mean a longer to parallel swing like you do with your other irons. Taking 1/2 and at most 3/4 length swings allow you to hit the ball the same distance but with a lower trajectory, which is what you normally see on tour. So many Ams take a full length swing and hit their wedges sky high making distance control difficult, especially if there is any wind. One of the keys is always accelerate and make sure your grip is leading through impact producing a crisply hit, lower flighted trajectory. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I get this sometimes too, I don’t know what to do with my hands… Cupped wrist does this for me.  It’s great for certain types of shots, just not full ones.

My swing through the bag suffers from this occasionally. For me, I have to feel like the club face is pointed at the ground for the entire backswing.  Now, I just have to remember that. 

I read this and my first instinct was you’re hitting it far too high on the face. 

It sounds like you’ve got an effective plan, stick with it and keep us posted. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/