Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Steel spikes vs plastic spikes

As I'm playing golf last weekend I noticed the greens aren't in good shape with scuff marks on them, similar to the days of steel spikes. Of course we can't use the steel ones now and I believe the original reason for changing to plastic spikes was to reduce the damage on the greens. Presuming I am correct in my understanding while and staring at greens with drag marks why can't the USGA drop the plastic and go to the steel spikes once again?

44 minutes ago, magician2 said:

why can't the USGA drop the plastic and go to the steel spikes once again?

It isn't the USGA and there is nothing in the rules of golf related to steel vs softspikes;   many professionals continue to wear steel spikes.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I sometimes see scuffs from people dragging their feet.  I think it is most often people with physical problems such as stroke survivors.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I think a lot of the early discussions when the steel versus plastic spikes first was debated was less about the impacts on the greens and more about the impact steel spikes (and heavy feet) had on club houses, asphalt walkways, wooden bridges and other infrastructure elements.  Green spike mark will naturally and eventually repair themselves.  Damaged carpets, wood and stone will not, leading courses to reoccurring expenses to properly maintain.  

In the end, I believe clubs desire to move away from metal and to plastic spikes was more of an ongoing maintenance and financial decision than greens quality decision.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Back in the day, there is nothing like following a group of golfers that wore steel spikes. The majority could not pick their feet up when walking or were just clumsy.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

There is a certain amount of nostalgia I have for the sound of steel spikes walking across the parking lot or cart path (probably from my days playing baseball with steel cleats and the reminders I have as scars on my lower legs and ankles) - but I don't really miss them on the course.  But then, I don't generate enough speed in my swing these days to fall off my spikeless shoes 😆.  I agree with G2M above... the switch seems to have been driven by damage to infrastructure of the club, more than the spike marks on the greens.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

The elimination of steel spikes were at the discretion of the golf clubs which everyone gleefully jumped onboard with as well as shoe manufacturer’s. As stated it was due to turf, clubhouse and infrastructure damage. The cost of maintenance in and around clubhouse has been greatly reduced if not eliminated all together due to spike damage.

The idea of eliminating soft spikes won’t happen, at least in the next 25 years. Making everyone wear (worn down) spikeless or tennis shoes would result in ongoing never ending litigation due to personal injury. The first time someone falls down a dew covered tee box and breaks a wrist, dislocates an elbow or shreds a knee the clubs would forever be in court. Not to say the change can’t happen but it would be a slow, voluntary shift, as was the move to spikeless.

I do miss the click clack of the steel spikes and never had a better “push” move with my back foot!

Now if they’d just outlaw those short, ankle hugging sweat pants Justin Thomas is wearing we would return to some sort of decorum. It’s embarrassing.

Edited by Motoboss

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

15 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Now if they’d just outlaw those short, ankle hugging sweat pants Justin Thomas is wearing we would return to some sort of decorum. It’s embarrassing.

+1   

Arnie is rolling over in his grave.  While we are at it... when did a mock turtleneck become a collared shirt?  Oh yeah... when Tiger started wearing them. 

I operate under one word... Tradition. 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Man there's a whole lotta this in here...

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Hoodies are awesome. 

Joggers are comfy. 

Music on the course is fun. 

Wear what you want as long as you play quickly and replace your divots. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Man there's a whole lotta this in here...

giphy.gif

Touché .

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I just look at steel spikes as helping aerate the greens, but hey I am no turf professional.

Add me to @bens197thought process, I don't wear some of that because I enjoy quarter zips, but not sure how you can be offended by clothes...Is it ok to piss by the tee box still?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

Hoodies are awesome. 

Joggers are comfy. 

Music on the course is fun. 

Wear what you want as long as you play quickly and replace your divots. 

Fair comments.  My 13 year old son has a drawer full of them.  🤣

I see your inflammatory comments and raise you....

I bet LIV Golf's dress code is shorts and tees.  🤣

I digress.  I don't care what people wear on the course...One could say that Plus Fours are just really short joggers ;).  I choose to follow my own dress code which is rooted in traditional wear.  Same reason I don't own "athletic shoe" style golf shoes, and back on thread topic...  metal spikes cause unneeded damage... so I'm good with soft or spikeless on my traditional dress golf shoes.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I just look at steel spikes as helping aerate the greens, but hey I am no turf professional.

Add me to @bens197thought process, I don't wear some of that because I enjoy quarter zips, but not sure how you can be offended by clothes...Is it ok to piss by the tee box still?

Clothes are clothes, as long as I am not seeing what you are packing, wear what you want.  AND in my opinion as an old man yelling at clouds - IT WAS NEVER OK TO PISS BY THE TEE BOX, GO FIND A TREE THAT IS OB

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

Just now, CWR said:

Clothes are clothes, as long as I am not seeing what you are packing, wear what you want.  AND in my opinion as an old man yelling at clouds - IT WAS NEVER OK TO PISS BY THE TEE BOX, GO FIND A TREE THAT IS OB

The tree is near the tee box*

I sometimes enjoy showing off what I got 🤣

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

The tree is near the tee box*

I sometimes enjoy showing off what I got 🤣

Yeah, just be careful where you point that thing, don't want any unwarranted divots near me.🤣

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip

- Harvey Penick

1 minute ago, CWR said:

Yeah, just be careful where you point that thing, don't want any unwarranted divots near me.🤣

I cant wear tight my thighs and rear are catcheresque.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

10 minutes ago, CWR said:

As long as it’s OB on the left. I tend to find myself OB right. 😂

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

44 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Fair comments.  My 13 year old son has a drawer full of them.  🤣

I see your inflammatory comments and raise you....

I bet LIV Golf's dress code is shorts and tees.  🤣

I digress.  I don't care what people wear on the course...One could say that Plus Fours are just really short joggers ;).  I choose to follow my own dress code which is rooted in traditional wear.  Same reason I don't own "athletic shoe" style golf shoes, and back on thread topic...  metal spikes cause unneeded damage... so I'm good with soft or spikeless on my traditional dress golf shoes.

This one certainly has traditionalists vs progressives. 

I’m a subscriber to the world is changing and we should change with it. As far as LIV goes, I’m not sold either way because it’s super complicated. 

You may be onto something though…I could totally see shorts as a thing. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I tried following this thread... without much success. 😆  Regarding the spikes question, I just picked up a pair of these on clearance which will be my first experience with soft spikes.  My other shoes are all the non remove/replace nubby style. If I don't like theses plastic spikes, I might try removing them and just use the nubs.

image.png.fc5468598c6d40d2c8d93496a7b04f11.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

22 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I used to work at a course and our superintendent said metal spikes did a great job of spreading disease around the green and from green to green, but were way too shallow to do anything like aeration. He says the switch to plastic was the best thing that ever happened to those in his profession.

I was being sarcastic in that TBH. Plastic does 0 damage unless you drag your feet. Metal damages the root system.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

13 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I was being sarcastic in that TBH. Plastic does 0 damage unless you drag your feet. Metal damages the root system.

Yah, and how many times in the metal spike days did you see spike drag marks near the hole from some one who decided they were too tired to pick up their feet or looked like they tried to kick the ball that just missed on the low side of the hole.😡

- Harvey Penick

4 minutes ago, CWR said:

Yah, and how many times in the metal spike days did you see spike drag marks near the hole from some one who decided they were too tired to pick up their feet or looked like they tried to kick the ball that just missed on the low side of the hole.😡

Might be showing my age but metal was fairly out of the picture when I started to golf. I had a pair from my uncle (yes used shoes) and I wore those until the bottoms fell off (was on Admiral Baker Golf Course in San Diego) on the 16th hole. I played 3 holes with no shoes. Plastic is much better.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Might be showing my age but metal was fairly out of the picture when I started to golf. I had a pair from my uncle (yes used shoes) and I wore those until the bottoms fell off (was on Admiral Baker Golf Course in San Diego) on the 16th hole. I played 3 holes with no shoes. Plastic is much better.

Dag nab it, these young uns and their new fangled thing-a-ma-hickeys.  I didn't realize metal spikes was showing age.  I feel old now, guess I better take a nap. 👴😴

- Harvey Penick

1 minute ago, CWR said:

Dag nab it, these young uns and their new fangled thing-a-ma-hickeys.  I didn't realize metal spikes was showing age.  I feel old now, guess I better take a nap. 👴😴

Dont forget the loose pants!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I have not been around golf long enough to have experienced the metal spikes first hand so I really cannot chime in on that. Plastic spikes work just fine for me. 

As for the attire, it’s not uncommon to see guys show up with basketball shorts and tank tops around here. I’m a golf shorts/pants with a polo or 1/4 zip so some days I’m the one that is sticking out like a sore thumb. 😆 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I have to admit that I didn't realize you could still buy metal spikes.

Most courses seem to have outlawed metal spikes.  Do I missed it?  Not really.  

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I remember back about the big deal when Davis Love III won the PGA Championship in soft spikes and how before that tour players scoffed at them and thusly so did the amateurs. I got them as a replacement when my metal spikes had worn down from walking on concrete, pavement, flagstones, you name it. The looked alien on my smooth sole Foot Joys and I did miss the clickety clackety of the metal as I walked, but traction wise, I for one could not tell a big difference.

- Harvey Penick