Iron Fitting, Indoor vs Outdoor Difference

On 5/3/2022 at 1:14 PM, JohnSmalls said:

Have any of you noticed a drastic difference from your fitting results to on course performance?

... Indoor fittings just don't work well for me. Golf is a game of distance and direction to a specific target. For me at least, hitting indoors is golf swing not playing golf. Add to that hitting off a mat instead of grass is not natural or golf. I am much more of a feel player so those that are more analytical probably do better with indoor fittings and I applaud those that can make the same swing indoors on a plastic mat as they do from the fairway to a back pin. Kinda like standing in one spot and throwing football to a stationary net at practice or hitting a receiver in stride after dropping back or rolling out. I am better when I move. 

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

I’ve never hit a bad shot into a net. 🥺

I also never did any client fittings indoors. I need to see the ball flight in addition to the data. 

Anecdotally, I retired from clubfitting 8 years ago. I went to get personally fit at Club Champions. Indoors. I was not at all happy with the irons that were specked out after playing with them for 2 months. Wound up going back and they remade them with different shafts. Better, but still not right. Never again will I do an indoor fitting. 

• Like 1

Professional club maker/club fitter, retired

Founding member, former President, International Clubmakers Guild

1 hour ago, 1puttpar said:

I’ve never hit a bad shot into a net. 🥺

I also never did any client fittings indoors. I need to see the ball flight in addition to the data. 

Anecdotally, I retired from clubfitting 8 years ago. I went to get personally fit at Club Champions. Indoors. I was not at all happy with the irons that were specked out after playing with them for 2 months. Wound up going back and they remade them with different shafts. Better, but still not right. Never again will I do an indoor fitting. 

I asked my instructor (who is getting 1 start on the PGA tour this year) how he gets fit for irons. He said he hits them on the course and looks at the trajectory to make sure it is what he wants. 

Definitely a personal thing! 

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler hybrids some combo of 2H-5H

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

:ping-small: G700 4i, Glide 2.0 54, 58*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

All the fittings I performed were in doors, however, best results are on a mat. I personally don't like hitting off a mat, but we're talking consistency. When I fit I always repeated the fitting three times to be sure before I placed the order.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter/1996 Original Odyssey (not Callaway) Dual Force Rossie Blade

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

That's interesting.   I'm the opposite.   For some weird reason, I can't swing well on an indoor simulator.   It's completely in my head, and I think it has something to do with the fact that the ball smacks into a screen 15 feet in front of me, instead of soaring out onto the range.   The first iron fitting I ever did was at a Club Champion that is right next to a driving range.   I warmed up on the range with my 6 iron, and was consistently hitting about 165 (which, sadly, is my typical 6-iron distance).   10 minutes later indoors, the simulator was showing 145 with the same club.      Anyone else cursed with this bizarre quirk? 

On 5/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, JohnSmalls said:

This video came up on my recommended list and with the title I had to give it a watch.  In Crossfield manner, it provided an interesting and potentially controversial take.  I need to give it another watch, but in short, it covers the variation between ball performance numbers (launch/spin/distance) from hitting irons indoor off of synthetic turf vs. outdoor and real grass.  Ultimately, the question begs does an indoor iron fitting give a misconception or an incomplete fit because of a potential change in numbers?

Have any of you noticed a drastic difference from your fitting results to on course performance?   Did it lead to a bad experience and/or buyers regret? 

After watching the video. I have to wonder what the results would have been IF he had hit all of those shots off a short tee, like most of us do when playing a Par 3. Would he then get new data that was much closer indoors and out?  My guess would be he would.

It could also be said that the main reason for his numbers being different is that Mark is NOT that GOOD at hitting his irons off the grass. Pretty good off of a "Mat" but not so good off of grass. Could that be the "REAL" issue here? 

13 minutes ago, BrenkJ said:

That's interesting.   I'm the opposite.   For some weird reason, I can't swing well on an indoor simulator.   It's completely in my head, and I think it has something to do with the fact that the ball smacks into a screen 15 feet in front of me, instead of soaring out onto the range.   The first iron fitting I ever did was at a Club Champion that is right next to a driving range.   I warmed up on the range with my 6 iron, and was consistently hitting about 165 (which, sadly, is my typical 6-iron distance).   10 minutes later indoors, the simulator was showing 145 with the same club.      Anyone else cursed with this bizarre quirk? 

Yes. I have had this same exact issue at Club Champion. I do think it was where the mat was uneven/severely worn and I felt like I was going to hit the sidewall on my swings.

But for context, this was 3 years ago on a trackman and before the RCT balls. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White TX

:titelist-small: TSi3 15* w/ Tensei AV Raw White TX

:srixon-small: ZXU 18* w/ Ventus Black 9X

:titelist-small: T100S 4 Iron - 9 Iron w/ KBS C-Taper S+

:vokey-small: SM9 46 F-grind / 50 F-grind / 54 F-grind / 58 M-grind w/ True Temper Gold Onyx Tour S400

:scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select 35 Inch Del Mar

:titelist-small: Pro V1

Vessel Player III DXR Stand Bag

Fit indoors to eliminate outside variables (wind, temperature, range balls, etc) but then verify outdoors.

In my history of being fit and fitting others, it was usually from the launch monitor set to normalized, different altitude, or roll settings. Therefore I rarely ever pay attention to total distance as well. 

When I recently got fitted for new irons, I was fit indoors, had a 7-iron built so that I could take outdoors. My outdoor numbers on trackman varied only slightly from the indoor trackman (normalization was off) Now that I've had the whole set built and practice indoors and outdoors often, so at least in my situation, the numbers are close to each other. 

On 5/3/2022 at 6:58 PM, ParFore74x said:

My iron fitting was about 90% indoors. Once I had things narrowed down to a few different irons, we went outside to hit off the the real grass and see true ball flight. I did not see any drastic differences, still do not today, from the indoor fitting numbers that I received. 

Agreed. The biggest advantage of outdoor fittings is to see the ball flight, and of course wedges really can only be fit well outdoors. If there is a major discrepancy between mat and grass stats, then perhaps it may be the quality of the mat. Only a few of the most premium mats have turf that behaves similar to grass. A low quality mat can affect your numbers.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 9*, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60
:ping-small: G425 Max 5W, Accra FX 2.0 150 M4 shaft
:ping-small: G425 Max 3H, 4H
:mizuno-small: JPX921 Hot Metal 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i70
:vokey-small: SM8 56*, 60*
:EVNROLL: ER2V, +1* loft
:titleist-small: PRO V1

I've been fit indoors with Club Champion and at Edwin Watts.  I've been fit outdoors at TPC Sawgrass and Sea Island Resort.  I've found all of the fittings to identify the same issue with me...too much spin on my driver. All of the fittings have produced similar results with the irons.  The only identifiable difference in the indoor vs outdoor was consistency of the contact.  I was more consistent with solid contact outdoors than indoors. I assume everyone has some "throwaway" shots that don't fit the typical shot pattern. I have more throwaways indoors than outdoors.  Claustrophobia maybe? 

TaylorMade Stealth 9* Ventus Blue 60 R

TaylorMade Stealth 15* 3W R

Mizuno CLK 19*

Mizuno CLK 22* > 24* 

Srixon X5 5-PW Aerotech Gener8 R +1/2"

Vokey SM8 48* 10* bounce

Vokey SM9 54*  10* bounce

Vokey SM9 58*   8* bounce

Edel putter 34.75"

Shot my age for the 1st time on 7/9/2022 with a 69

17 hours ago, JohnDoglas said:

Hello to all.
I started with golf not long ago and am looking for a place where I can get quality equipment. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Someone to answer me?

39 minutes ago, JohnDoglas said:

Someone to answer me?

Any golf store has quality equipment. Places like 2ndswing, golf galaxy, Callaway preowned, pga superstore all sell quality used equipment. There’s and entire internet full of places that sell quality brand name equipment 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/3/2022 at 4:14 PM, JohnSmalls said:

This video came up on my recommended list and with the title I had to give it a watch.  In Crossfield manner, it provided an interesting and potentially controversial take.  I need to give it another watch, but in short, it covers the variation between ball performance numbers (launch/spin/distance) from hitting irons indoor off of synthetic turf vs. outdoor and real grass.  Ultimately, the question begs does an indoor iron fitting give a misconception or an incomplete fit because of a potential change in numbers?

Have any of you noticed a drastic difference from your fitting results to on course performance?   Did it lead to a bad experience and/or buyers regret? 

I've been fit for irons on a mat and it was fine. Having said that, I went into a fitting planning on getting new irons. So, for me it wasn't about total distance or total dispersion. It was all about relative distance and dispersion comparing different options. 

If you want to compare how "good" certain clubs are compared to your usual gamers, well then you need to do apples to apples. But if you are going to buy new clubs getting fit for them on a mat is fine. Possibly better in that you remove at least one or more variables. 

1 hour ago, JohnDoglas said:

Someone to answer me?

Dude, you are off topic. 

You should start a new thread to discuss your question. 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Any golf store has quality equipment. Places like 2ndswing, golf galaxy, Callaway preowned, pga superstore all sell quality used equipment. There’s and entire internet full of places that sell quality brand name equipment 

Thanks to you for the recommendations.