Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hybrids or Irons? Asking for a "Friend"

So I, um,  I mean my friend, recently got a full set of clubs that included 4 and 5 hybrids instead of irons.  He is picking up the game again after a 20 year layoff.   He was told the hybrids would be easier to hit and would be more forgiving than the irons which in turn would make the game more enjoyable.  He has used the hybrid clubs during a couple of rounds and has practiced with them at the range.  While there have been occasional moments of happiness after a shot, he would rather have irons instead of hybrids at this point as the consistency with the hybrid clubs just isn't there like it is with the irons in the set.  Not looking for tips for hitting them better, rather looking for honest opinions about if they have helped or hurt your game.  And if the hybrids have helped did it some time to get used to them.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

I carry 2 hybrids. A 19* and a 25*. The 25 is like my 5/6 irons, but I hit what feels more comfortable. My 19 on the other hand fills the 190-200 carry gap, but is more volatile on what shot I may get. It’s really about comfort with the shots you can make. Hybrids in theory are supposed to be easier to hit, but may not be the case for everyone.

I can only speak to my own experiences, which may or may not mirror your "friend's". I really did not get along well with hybrids because my brain wanted to sweep them like a fairway when they are designed to be hit like an iron. So I tended to hit them thin, or hook them off the planet, and I avoided them for years.

Now that I have that straightened out, I have a 3 hybrid (HyWood) and a 5 hybrid (Launcher) and have been hitting them both really well.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It all depends on what swing speed you... er, I mean "your friend", has with long irons.  Hybrids do fly higher which is an advantage coming into greens from long range.  With adequate speed, the irons might be a better choice, but remember that a 6i is easier to hit than a 4i, so be careful about basing decisions off how well the irons play.  Some people don't play hybrids well, some do.  I will also say that hybrids than long irons are better out of rough.  Personally, I have been very fond of hybrids over the years, however, I am in the process of changing to lofted fairway woods; now buying a 23º 9W.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have irons down to a 5 and a utility iron in the 4 iron spot then an 18 degree hybrid. I’ve play a 4 hybrid in the past. I like hybrids they are easy to hit and get up in the air. My previous hybrids could start to hook on me if my swing was a little off. I tried some other hybrids and the one I have now mostly goes straight for me unless I make a really bad swing. He may not have hybrids that fit his swing. I also like my utility iron. It may be the straightest club in my bag. I’ve tried 3 utilities and I don’t think I have quite the swing speed for one of those so the hybrid is a better fit for me. Sometimes it’s a matter of trial and error find the right clubs to fill a gap.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Only additional advice I would offer your friend, on top of what's already been posted, is that you can likely find reasonable compromises...in other words hollow-body "hybrid-like" driving irons that don't demand greater ball-striking prowess than a traditional hybrid.  The TaylorMade SIM DHY comes to mind, Mizuno Fli-Hi's...there are clubs like this out there.  Ultimately, get fit and see what gives you, or your friend, the right combination of spin and distance (not just distance).

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have both. But the hybrids live in the bag. They get a little on the loose side but my miss hits are at least pin high. Just changed the shafts in them to see if it helps with the loosey goosey. What i have found, for me personally, is that if im not hitting my hybrids all that well, i sure as heck am not gonna hit my 4 well.

I would also offer this. If you dont like it, dont play it. Confidence is huge. If you werent fit for it, it may not fit you in the least. Try something else. Go hit some other stuff.

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I currently game my Cobra Radspeed 4 hybrid. I 100% can hit this longer, more accurate, and have less mishits than I was having with my 4 iron. Swing your swing though. I too only go up to a 5 iron before going 4 hybrid, 5 wood, 3 wood. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

There are also different kinds of hybrids...

You have the traditional ones that look like a fat iron that needs a diet... like this...

Image result for adams golf hybridsImage result for adams golf hybrids

Then you have the ones I use that look more like a fairway wood that already went on a diet, lol... 

Image result for ts2 hybrid tour model

Is it Callaway that refers to these as "super hybrids"...?

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

I transitioned to lofted woods and hybrids in my bag last year.  While I am more accurate directionally with the long irons (3,4,5) (With a big caveat of "when I hit them well"), the lofted woods and hybrids keep me out of trouble more often - giving me more consistent carry distance.  At my course, we have several greens requiring a carry over water, and my success rate for long irons of being on or around the green (and not rinsing my ball) is much lower than even horrible "swipes" at the ball with a hybrid.  I carry the 5 hybrid and a 7 wood.. sometimes I add the 4 hybrid and take out the 7 wood.  I consider them stroke savers in my game... 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1