TESTERS WANTED! ×

Be more like Matt Wolff

TCUfrog

Ever played a round who sucks the ever living fun out of every minute because they think they should be a tour pro (while being a 25 handicap)? Hand-up, I've been that guy. I'm known amongst my group of guys to be a bit of a hot head. In my younger days, I used to let that drag on for holes after the bad shot. In recent years, I still run hot, but now it goes more like "Oh that was a s&*# shot, come on" and then I'm able to move on. Golf is and should be fun (also should be fast, you should play fast). Take Matt Wolff's advice for it if you don't trust me.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

Good for him.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Really really like that kid a lot - can't wait to see him put it all together and win again, but these steps are the important ones and the ones that will make that not only possible, but enjoyable.  

Hoping he finds the fun again soon.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Great to see. I enjoy watching him play when he’s on so hopefully this helps him get back into form. Being able to enjoy what your doing makes a huge difference in anyone’s job even if their job is our hobby. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I can relate to this a lot. I used to be unbearable to play with - temper, snapping & throwing clubs, etc. I've had a few guys tell me they weren't playing with me ever again. Well I finally learned to keep it under control on the course. Also, a few years ago I was diagnosed with anxiety and have been on medication to help with that. It's made a huge difference, and I am much happier on the course and in control of my game. I put too much pressure on myself, and I feel like this year, for the first time in a long time, I am feeling good on the course.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

It certainly helps that from where we sit, he appears to be a super likable guy. 

Quite a load of pressure at that age to be a featured star and have to perform week after week. I love this hard reset. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This is great to see from a professional athlete. So often they are surrounded by folks who support them to the point that the athlete rationalizes their poor behavior. Good on Matt to recognize it and take actions to improve. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

I had a similar epiphany while watching my beloved Utah Utes blow a football game.  I was sitting in the basement by myself absolutely seething about how bad they were playing.  I was just in a toxic mood about it.  Then it occurred to me that this was something that I was doing to have "fun."  So if my "fun" activity was putting me in a terrible mood.... was it really worth doing?  Now when I watch, I get excited about the good plays and only a little bummed when they lose.  However, that mood ends when the game does.  I have decided not to outsource my emotions to a bunch of 18-25 year old kids and I'm a lot happier because of it.  

Golf is similar, I play to have fun.  If it puts me in a terrible mood or I get angry... well that isn't fun for me.  So, I usually just laugh at the ridiculousness of the bad shots.  Sure I get frustrated by the bad shots, but I don't let that stop me from enjoying the time with my friends on the course.  I'm out there for fun after all.  

Thanks for posting!  

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

When I day dream about what I would be like if I was a pro golfer, I want to say that I would be this humble and down to earth ("Ya, what happened sucks... But my day job is playing a game so why would I get so upset") and I would actively work to be that way, but the other side of me would care deeply about improving myself and my game. 

That being said... It take a big person to realize that sometimes you can be a dick  less than an angel to be around, and this makes me like him that much more.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I can relate to this a lot. I used to be unbearable to play with - temper, snapping & throwing clubs, etc. I've had a few guys tell me they weren't playing with me ever again. Well I finally learned to keep it under control on the course. Also, a few years ago I was diagnosed with anxiety and have been on medication to help with that. It's made a huge difference, and I am much happier on the course and in control of my game. I put too much pressure on myself, and I feel like this year, for the first time in a long time, I am feeling good on the course.

Appreciate you sharing that - glad to hear the meds are helping, especially when it comes to your enjoyment factor.  I'm a big believer in letting medicine be a help where it can be, that's for sure. 

I also wonder, and this is from someone who JUST broke 90 for the first time, if the better you get the MORE likely you are to feel anger/frustration at bad (stupid, in my case) shots. Like, I'm not EVER expecting to be near scratch, so a duffed shot can be laughed at.  But if I was expecting (near) perfection, I could see how a big miss could be pretty hugely disappointing.  Not looking to enable bad behavior, mind you, but I definitely think MY reactions to bad shots does not equate to what EVERYONE'S reactions should be - I can laugh, because I know I'm on the road to getting better and more consistent.  Sure, it sucks, but a duff's bound to happen.  But if I were a scratch golfer, and knew how good I COULD be, well, that might be a different thing entirely.

Now add to that the idea that this is your profession, and you bringing home money is actually dependent on it, well...crap. That's a huge amount of pressure.

So more power to Matty for redefining his focus to be "fun", and hopefully that will help redefine his successes, too. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Back in my comp and gambling days I had a terrible temper that made Tommy Bolt look like a choir boy.

Now days since I do not play comps and big money matches anymore the temper has subsided. But back in the day no joke that is how I learned to repair clubs because I broke so many shafts. Since my accident 2 years ago I feel lucky to be even attempting to play golf.

And yes I have realized that a temper and cussing etc can carry over into the rest of the group. I have had to get onto a Shootout partner because he does not throw clubs but cusses really loud when he misses a shot. He is one of those that plays only on weekends rarely practices and expects to play like a pro. We have houses all around our course and last week we had some complaints about him. Our Pro had a talk with me about him because he got some complaints from residents with Grandkids etc playing in the back yard. Also had a couple of members pull me aside and talk to me because it was their grandkids who heard the verbal barrage. I had a "Come to Jesus Southern Baptist Prayer Meeting" with him this week. What is bad is he is a nice guy off the course. Told him flat out if he did not muzzle it some he was out of our group.

For me these days if I can complete a round pain free regardless of the score then it is a win win for me----- Planning on playing a all out vintage round today with the persimmon and older blades. First time I have felt confident body wise to do that in 2 years. Playing with one of my Shootout partners who is 80 yoa who is still a good stick. I will play from the Super Senior tees with him.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've never been one to throw clubs (maybe toss them towards my cart a little 😁), but I am not a pleasant person to be around when my game goes south.  Unfortunately, since my wife is usually riding with me, she takes the brunt of it, and I have to apologize; after which I sulk and get very quiet.  It seems that if I say anything, it is taken in the wrong way and makes matters worse.  I think I have made improvements, but I'm sure my wife will disagree.  

I don't expect to make good shots all the time; I know I will mishit a lot of them.  However, when I don't feel well and my body hurts more than usual, I make more mishits than usual and I get frustrated.  I can play well with pain... done it for years, but some days I don't find the ways to compensate very well and my score balloons.  I think part of my problem is that I feel like I don't have much time left to play so any days that are bad make me think I'm closer to the end... and I hate that.  I'm not sure what will make me quit playing golf, but I am pretty sure that it will be something drastic!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I've never been one to throw clubs (maybe toss them towards my cart a little 😁), but I am not a pleasant person to be around when my game goes south.  Unfortunately, since my wife is usually riding with me, she takes the brunt of it, and I have to apologize; after which I sulk and get very quiet.  It seems that if I say anything, it is taken in the wrong way and makes matters worse.  I think I have made improvements, but I'm sure my wife will disagree.  

I don't expect to make good shots all the time; I know I will mishit a lot of them.  However, when I don't feel well and my body hurts more than usual, I make more mishits than usual and I get frustrated.  I can play well with pain... done it for years, but some days I don't find the ways to compensate very well and my score balloons.  I think part of my problem is that I feel like I don't have much time left to play so any days that are bad make me think I'm closer to the end... and I hate that.  I'm not sure what will make me quit playing golf, but I am pretty sure that it will be something drastic!!  

I have often thought of that the last 2 years since my accident. I had gotten frustrated because I had lost a lot of distance and could not play pain free. I darn near gave up the game entirely. The main issue for me was pain. I did a last minute Hail Mary thing and changed my swing all together by shortening the backswing and narrowing my stance. I had to relearn how to time it up. Took me close to 6 months to get it all together. For me it was mental for once I had to actually think and plot my way around a course. Also had to learn my limitations. Basically I adopted a Marine Corp standard saying--" Improvise adapt and overcome" Learned some advantages of shorter knocking. A lot of holes I can go at a hazard to set up a better angle because I know no way I can hit it far enough to hit the hazard. As long as I play pain free and hit some decent shots in the course of a round I am ok with it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G