TESTERS WANTED! ×

NPG Episode 101: Is the USGA trying to steal from YOU?

Duration: 00:31:28

Chris and Tony discuss what the USGA told equipment manufacturers regarding a likely ball rollback as well as the role of technology in the modern game.

Listen Here

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I haven't listened to this discussion yet but the title sounds like more of the same indecision, we need another study to evaluate the previous study, gibberish from the good folks at the USGA.  A ball roll-back seems rife with issues but will undoubtedly be entertaining to watch unfold.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Another good podcast by Tony and Chris. 

Might cautiously be back on the NPG bandwagon!

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

OK, the Podcast title/question... umm, no as there is no way any of this makes its way to amateur golf.  Average carry distances of 220 ish yards does not threaten the vast majority of courses around the globe.  As such, I solely view this whole issue/debate as it relates to professional golf.

Tony's analogy of the local rule being fine for play and not for equipment is good.  Would pros effectively need a bag (or three) simply for the chance that any particular event host decides to employ an equipment bifurcation rule?... sure sounds like that would be the case.  How many of you think a tour event host is going to be "the one" who employs an equipment local rule?  They also bring up the $64,000 question as to why non equipment based options aren't being employed first... grass cut height... HELLO.  Hats off to PING and Titleist for making their comments to proposed CT and MOI changes public 👏.  I'd love to read them if anyone knows how to access them?

Honestly, I think the USGA/R&A have kind of dug themselves a hole on this distance subject and they just keep digging.... and we all know the axiom regarding digging 🙂.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

They also bring up the $64,000 question as to why non equipment based options aren't being employed first... grass cut height

Does anyone propose that the USGA actually try to govern the height of the grass on golf courses?  Of course that could decrease the roll, but the USGA has nothing to do with course setup at almost every high-level event.  

I haven't listened to the podcast, I'll try to get a chance in the next day or two.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

30 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Does anyone propose that the USGA actually try to govern the height of the grass on golf courses?  Of course that could decrease the roll, but the USGA has nothing to do with course setup at almost every high-level event.  

I haven't listened to the podcast, I'll try to get a chance in the next day or two.

Tony and Chris simply mention that as something many, many have brought up as a way to reduce average distance... not that the USGA is proposing it. Yes, I realize that the USGA does not govern course set-up but they and the PGA could certainly influence event hosts to do so.  It's pretty well documented that fairway height has, in Tony's words" has gone from "shag to berber" over the decades.  Settings on the mowers involves WAY LESS churn and consternation than equipment roll-backs or lengthening courses where that is even possible.

The fans love bombs and bombs they will still get... just a little shorter to satisfy this magic max average distance target.  And, when the players start eclipsing that target through physical training and technique, just adjust the mowers again. 👍 

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

They could start by modeling sustainable mow heights at their own events…

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W