TESTERS WANTED! ×

Short legs Oh My!

Shottmaker

I've got short legs (27" inseam) and its hard finding putters that I can try if I get in a comfortable putting position. Any ideas on how to deal with this problem in trying out putters? Didn't PING used to have adjustable shafts for fitting?

23 minutes ago, Shottmaker said:

I've got short legs (27" inseam) and its hard finding putters that I can try if I get in a comfortable putting position. Any ideas on how to deal with this problem in trying out putters? Didn't PING used to have adjustable shafts for fitting?

Ping does have adjustable shaft putters which I believe can be adjusted as short as 32 inches. 

With no intent to be rude, are your arms short, average, or longer than typical for your height?  I ask because I'm 5'9" tall but have somewhat longer arms and I find a 33 inch putter is, as Goldilocks would have said, "juuusst right" for my physique.

If your arms are normal in length I'd suspect a 32 inch putter would work pretty well and, hence, you could test Ping models with that shaft with confidence.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

22 minutes ago, Shottmaker said:

Lots of things to consider;  inseam really doesn't matter but based on your experience you do better with shorter putters.  Some stores do carry 33" putters but generally you won't find much shorter than that.   Ping did have an adjustable putter for fitting and for a while they also had putters that you could adjust the shaft length; they may still be available.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another thing to consider is that with the advent of the oversize Super Stroke type grips the putter grip is pretty similar in dimension from the butt  of the putter to the base of the putter grip.  With that thought in mind you could simply "choke down" on the grip to test drive the putter and have it shortened by whatever amount makes sense once you find a head design that works for you.  The caveat with that approach is going to be that the shortened putter is going to feel a bit lighter at its reduced length because you'd now have a shorter "lever" with the same head weight at the end of it.  Translation: a 35 inch putter, cut down to 33 or 32 inches is going to feel lighter when you make the putting stroke.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Ping has adjustable length putters in the Sigma lineup 

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/putters/sigma-2

I just cut down an old Zebra Z3 to 32” for a friend. Typically your standing length from wrist break to the ground will give you an very close idea of comfortable ideal length for a putter.

Edited by Motoboss

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

I have had multiple fittings and i fit into a 31 to 31.5" putter. I have short legs but normal length arms proportionately, so my wrist to floor measurement is 31". Every putter i play is cut down. i have never gotten to demo a putter that short except when I was at Ping HQ and they cut down one of their demo putters for me to try (part of the Ping PLD custom experience). 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Yep - 31" is about right for me. Tried a 33" ladies Odyssey today at my club's pro shop which was close enough to play around with.

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have had multiple fittings and i fit into a 31 to 31.5" putter. I have short legs but normal length arms proportionately, so my wrist to floor measurement is 31". Every putter i play is cut down. i have never gotten to demo a putter that short except when I was at Ping HQ and they cut down one of their demo putters for me to try (part of the Ping PLD custom experience). 

1 hour ago, Shottmaker said:

Yep - 31" is about right for me. Tried a 33" ladies Odyssey today at my club's pro shop which was close enough to play around with.

let me know if you ever have any questions about fitting for us shorter folks. i may not have the answers, but at least we can share experiences.

there has been some trial and error on my part, a lot of times from fitters i get the "we never fit anyone in a club that is less than X length". 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4