Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Pre round routines

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on pre round warm-ups

Trevor 01 

Taylormade driver @ 9.5 x flex, 3 wood @15, 5 wood @ 21, golfpride cord 

Taylormade p770 irons D7 swingweight lie angle @ 1 upright, Titleist wedges @ 2 flat  with KBS 120. 50,56,60, 

Taylormade spider putter.

An old pro once told me, "Golf is a game of routines that strings together 72 shots over 18 holes that creates a routine that allows you spend time out doors with old friends or new ones.  But without a pregame warmup routine of stretching, pitching, and putting your routine round will quickly become anything but." That was my only advice from him and since then I try to arrive 30 before my tee time, take care of the business side of the round and begin stretching, then either hit the pitching green or just take some practice swings with my wedge, then hit the putting green and stay there until called for 1st tee.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

My thought is you should ideally do one; however, some people don't and still play well.    Professionals spend an hour plus prior to their rounds to include stretching, range time, short game, and putting.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I always warm up on the range if I can. The key for me is to get loose stretching and hitting some wedge shots to get a feel for my swing. After that, I only swing a couple lower lofted irons and driver swings. I have to see one decent one from the driver before I leave. After that, I usually go putt and chip (if I have time). 

I’ve found that no warmup on the range costs me in the first 4-5 holes every single time.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I usually don't have make enough time for pre round range time. With nagging elbow and knee issues, range time isn't necessarily helpful like it used to be. My priorities in order are a) always three types of stretches and warm up with Orange Whip b) almost always practice putting, c) usually practice chipping, d) maybe a half dozen full swings on the range (with errant balls laying around), and e) almost never actually buying a bucket and hitting them all. Things change with age - sigh. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Getting loose and getting the blood flowing aren’t a bad thing. It doesn’t take a lot, some stretches for the hips, back and shoulder are all that’s needed. 

I also prefer to hit balls on the range before going out to see what my swing and ball flight are

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I hit maybe 10 short iron shots on the short range and then some putts and possibly some chips.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

If possible, I try and get 30 minutes of warm up time. I have to hit quite a few driver swings to get going plus of course wedges and irons. And of course I want to putt for a few minutes to feel good about the speed. But of course I just want to play golf so if I have to come into the course on two wheels to get the round in that’s what I’ll do. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

I've gone to having a very consistent pre-round plan, and it's help me get back to looking like I sort of know how to play golf. We generally play in the morning, between 7:30 and 8:30 am, so here's the routine for that kind of a day. Honestly, I struggle a little more when the tee time is later in the day, since I have more time to kill before my routine starts ....

• Wake up around 2.5 hours before tee time
  • Coffee and breakfast around 1.5 hours before tee time. Breakfast is usually berries and a sugar-free cereal (Shredded Wheat, etc.)
  • Organize water, golf cart, etc.
  • Leave for course in golf cart about 1 hour before tee time 
  • Arrive at course 50 minutes before tee time
  • Putt for 10-15 minutes. Lag putting ladder drill uphill and downhill, gate drill on 3 footers, 2/4/6 foot ladder drill. Sometimes a sidehill or multi-tier drill
  • Chip for 10 minutes. Simple chips to different flags with different wedges and trajectories. Focus on contact and trajectory control. Finish with "3 balls inside 3 feet"
  • Practice range - 20-25 balls with wedges, mostly half to three-quarter swings. Focus on contact.
  • Practice range - odd or even irons, maybe 3-5 balls with each iron, until contact is crisp and consistent.
  • Practice range - a few balls with hybrid and fairway woods
  • Practice range - Drivers until I am confident and happy with ball flight, shape, and contact. Some days, that's 5. Some days, it's 15.
  • Finish with two good shots with the club I'll be using on the first tee
  • Head to first tee, and play away ....

Once in a while, I'll add a few bunker shots, if it's a course I haven't played before, or my bunker play has struggled a bit.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, Trevor 01 said:

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on pre round warm-ups

I normally try to get ready 3 hrs before My round starting with a good breakfast normally yougurt muesli and blueberries, then some stretching at home then would head to course and maybe a little more stretching if required depending upon how long it takes to get to the course. Then would start with some short putts and some long lag putting maybe 15 minutes then head to range I normally hit a lot of wedges then some 8 irons, 6 irons, 4 irons, 5 woods, 3 woods, a couple of drivers, then some bunkers and short game. Then head back to putting green hit some more short to medium putts, then head to the 1st Tee. 

I love every opportunity I get to play a game of golf so I normally try give my self the best opportunity to play the best golf I can on that day, knowing I have done everything I can to succeed for that game. Knowing that you can only get out what you put into it. 

Trevor 01 

Taylormade driver @ 9.5 x flex, 3 wood @15, 5 wood @ 21, golfpride cord 

Taylormade p770 irons D7 swingweight lie angle @ 1 upright, Titleist wedges @ 2 flat  with KBS 120. 50,56,60, 

Taylormade spider putter.

Retired over 10 years now and trying to play 4 to 5 days/week has changed my round warm-up routine.

The body does not want extended practice range time along with 4 to 5 rounds per week, so I hit 2 or 3 clubs after the normal stretching/warm up exercises for flexibility. Choose the clubs based on the course (we have 3 different courses) that Shot Scope says are the most frequently hit on that course/tee box.

Then, I select one club each day to finish out the small bucket. I practice that one club to different yardages (50, 100, 125, etc. depending on the club) and work in a couple of fades or draws the best I can. Today's equipment wants to hit everything straight so working the ball is not as big of a deal as it was in the blade/ballata years. But still like to practice the swings needed to fade or draw when desired and I still like to be able to hit a specific yardage with 3 different clubs (for all middle yardages). Helps in club selection on approach shots to account for daily conditions. 

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

On 5/7/2022 at 11:42 AM, Mtbryant01 said:

I’ve found that no warmup on the range costs me in the first 4-5 holes every single time.

Same for me. You can get warm a few holes in, but without a warmup I tend to struggle early. And the big issues tend to not just be physical or technique, but mental. And depending on how bad the round is going those first few holes, it can take a lot longer to dig myself out of the mental hole I dug myself into early in the round.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.