TESTERS WANTED! ×

Trying to get friend back into golf

Took my buddy out for his first round in easily a decade. He had some bad experiences with golfers in general. For some reason he was feeling the game was turning more into a stuffy rich man’s sport. And felt like he just never could fit in with the golfing crowd. So fast forward to a week ago. And I convinced him it will be just fine. The game is more open to every diversity of individuals now 

We head to the first tee and they match us with two businessman with the biggest egos on this side of the planet. Both were immediately saying how well to do they are. They asked my friend what he does for a living and he told him he is a carpenter. They immediately treat him like an outcast. Sadly , he took his clubs off the cart after the 5 th hole and left. How do I get him out again ? This golf snooty stigma holds strong with him and golf. It really bothers him 

Try taking him to a muni where it's highly unlikely you'll run into "snooty businessmen". 

Second, tell him to grow a thicker skin. Seriously. If he wants to get out there and enjoy the game with his friends, he can ignore bozos and hang out with you and enjoy being out on the course. Although I do have to admit, in 10 years of being paired up with folks, I have yet to play with someone who brags about how well off they are. Really interesting that your buddy gets that in his very first round in over a decade....

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Try taking him to a muni where it's highly unlikely you'll run into "snooty businessmen". 

Second, tell him to grow a thicker skin. Seriously. If he wants to get out there and enjoy the game with his friends, he can ignore bozos and hang out with you and enjoy being out on the course. Although I do have to admit, in 10 years of being paired up with folks, I have yet to play with someone who brags about how well off they are. Really interesting that your buddy gets that in his very first round in over a decade....

It was such bad luck. And if all could go wrong it did on this day. The course was packed, if I could I would’ve had the other two some go ahead.

it was a medium scale public course. And my next attempt will be a small executive course we have in the area. He so so stigmatized by his ideology of golfers in general. It’s hard to explain to him times have changed 

16 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Wow, unlucky. I have rarely run into that situation, and really feel like golf is a place where people from all walks of life can mingle. Where did you take him? Is there a scruffy muni somewhere nearby? Take him there. You'd be far less likely to run into the snob set, and those courses are usually a blast to play as long as you don't expect country club conditions.

Just bad luck. He actually started getting the big again last year. And was going to the range regularly and hitting it pretty decent. I tried… he is somehow so stigmatized by his perceptions of how golfers used to be. Or how they are perceived by him. He is more a nascar, fishing type of guy. If that sums up his demeanor. For some reason he doesn’t feel like he fits in with the sport 

That is a shame. I only play public courses, and whenever I’m paired with other golfers, it seems always that work is the last thing anyone wants to talk about. 

I do remember one time, a guy in my carpool had become interested in the game, so I invited him out to play a round. He decided to invite a couple guys from his work to join us to make it a foursome. That’s fine. But when they showed up, they had invited a third guy. I remember feeling pretty angry about it, scrambling for another tee time behind the original group, at the same time realizing that I became the fifth man out of a round I invited people to.

I was pretty pissed, but it wasn’t all bad. His co-workers were bioengineering snobs anyway—and I channeled all that anger into my game. I broke 100 with a resounding 93.

And that taught me a great lesson: If I don’t like the people I’m playing with, put it all in my game. In the right mood, I can get pretty competitive.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

Is your friend 7 years old getting intimidated by big bad businessmen and storming off after 5 holes?

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
3 minutes ago, PBH3 said:

Is your friend 7 years old getting intimidated by big bad businessmen and storming off after 5 holes?

People of all ages have anxiety and find situations like that very stressful.   I was playing in my companies golf league and had to switch tee times with someone because they were paired with companies VP and felt too much pressure.    Some people can just dismiss those attitudes and others can't.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, PBH3 said:

I can understand leaving the game before its complete. I left after nine holes because I just couldn’t stand playing with a messy drunk. I’m usually conflict avoidant, and I’ve never had a good experience confronting a drunk about his behavior. If that makes me 7, so be it.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

People of all ages have anxiety and find situations like that very stressful.   I was playing in my companies golf league and had to switch tee times with someone because they were paired with companies VP and felt too much pressure.    Some people can just dismiss those attitudes and others can't.

I’ll be honest playing with guys in the Ohio group from the forum has helped me the anxiety you referenced. Everyone deals with it differently. Hopefully the OP can find a laid back course with guys who just love golf. Sugar loaf social style. Doesn’t matter the clubs you play with, or your “status” just go out and enjoy the game!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

1 minute ago, Riverboat said:

And people with depression, social anxiety, OCD, etc, should just suck it up and get over it, right? You are a thoroughly modern, well informed man, aren't you?

No, they should seek treatment for their conditions and avoid triggers.  If being asked what he does for a living is such a trigger he should avoid situations where that is a pretty common conversation starter.

• Arccos 
28 minutes ago, PBH3 said:

No, they should seek treatment for their conditions and avoid triggers.  If being asked what he does for a living is such a trigger he should avoid situations where that is a pretty common conversation starter.

Question being asked with tone A and tone B are two different things. 
I know these type and it’s not as black and grey as you’re portraying. 
also not everyone has the ability to seek treatment from a therapist.

@Goober it never hurts to have folks move up to or ask the course if ya can and explain the situation. If they don’t understand then they can afford to lose the business.
Have you tried weekday early? Always the best time for me anyway can get out as a single or double majority of the time.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

6 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

not everyone has the ability to seek treatment from a therapist.

There are lots of free and low cost resources for mental health care.  https://www.healthline.com/health/therapy-for-every-budget.  I would suggest that he check some of them out instead of spending money on golf.

• Arccos 
1 minute ago, PBH3 said:

There are lots of free and low cost resources for mental health care.  https://www.healthline.com/health/therapy-for-every-budget.  I would suggest that he check some of them out instead of spending money on golf.

From experience quality is not as simple as this article portrays. Support group might not be efficient enough and who knows what his health care is. 
I think you simply saying this person (and generalizing what you are insinuating) has mental health issues and should seek therapy  instead of spending money on golf is a little absurd. Maybe the guy can’t stand douche bags and going the course shouldn’t force you to deal with those people. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Just want to add. My buddy has a heart of gold. He is just a blue collar, quiet, hard working family man. He was a weekend golf warrior for many years. He told me so many times how he would never felt like he fit into the true die hard  golf community. Mostly comments about his old pickup truck he still drives. Too outdated clubs and golf attire. And just the looks from people can offset many in this game and make a 4-5 hour round absolutely miserable for him and others. Personally I think this is still the great divide that keeps many away from this great game. When the above poster said seek therapy ? I would say you are most likely the arrogant one who would belittle others of the blue collar groups who feel like they don’t fit in. Or don’t belong at your club and should only play the goat ranch munis. Your comment is a prime example of this divide that i thought was diminishing but truly still exists. Some think they actually own the course. Being a member at a country club or high end public course doesn’t entirely mean “you” own the course all to yourself.

It was just an unfortunate day. For some it is hard to block things like this out. The group in question may have felt like they did nothing wrong. Sadly this is normal behavior for so many. I guess he does need thicker skin. Really depressing one needs that just to hit a damn white ball around an open field. I’m going to try this one more time at a 18 hole executive course we have that has little to no play. It hurt me as much as it did him 

6 minutes ago, Goober said:

Just want to add. My buddy has a heart of gold. He is just a blue collar, quiet, hard working family man. He was a weekend golf warrior for many years. He told me so many times how he would never felt like he fit into the true die hard  golf community. Mostly comments about his old pickup truck he still drives. Too outdated clubs and golf attire. And just the looks from people can offset many in this game and make a 4-5 hour round absolutely miserable for him and others. Personally I think this is still the great divide that keeps many away from this great game. When the above poster said seek therapy ? I would say you are most likely the arrogant one who would belittle others of the blue collar groups who feel like they don’t fit in. Or don’t belong at your club and should only play the goat ranch munis. Your comment is a prime example of this divide that i thought was diminishing but truly still exists. Some think they actually own the course. Being a member at a country club or high end public course doesn’t entirely mean “you” own the course all to yourself.

It was just an unfortunate day. For some it is hard to block things like this out. The group in question may have felt like they did nothing wrong. Sadly this is normal behavior for so many. I guess he does need thicker skin. Really depressing one needs that just to hit a damn white ball around an open field. I’m going to try this one more time at a 18 hole executive course we have that has little to no play. It hurt me as much as it did him 

@BIG STUcan easily tell him no set is too old. If I had an old truck I would still bring it right to the course. Park in the VIP spot too and chuck 🦅 to anyone that says otherwise 😂

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Just now, Lacassem said:

@BIG STUcan easily tell him no set is too old. If I had an old truck I would still bring it right to the course. Park in the VIP spot too and chuck 🦅 to anyone that says otherwise 😂

They don’t realize when things break down. My buddy is the guy you call to fix it. And then they have to tolerate him for hours or days in their homes. Like he has to tolerate them on “ their” golf courses. 

If any doesn’t think a big divide doesn’t exist. Than we are more blind (me included) than we think for sure 

5 hours ago, Goober said:

They don’t realize when things break down. My buddy is the guy you call to fix it. And then they have to tolerate him for hours or days in their homes. Like he has to tolerate them on “ their” golf courses. 

If any doesn’t think a big divide doesn’t exist. Than we are more blind (me included) than we think for sure 

I hate that your friend was in this situation. Heck, when I started playing golf 44 yrs ago, I was young and somewhat a country redneck. I just fell in love with the game and learned the proper etiquette over time. Just didn't let these type people bother me. It's a shame, but he's probably going to run into these type people all during his life.

Not sure where you live, but maybe you could find a remote golf course to get him back out to.

Good Luck to him.

Edited by GaDawg
Correct Spelling

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I think everyone is on the right track with finding a local muni to get out on.

I've  been playing for over 30 years and that only happend to me one time. The jerk was the same type bragging about his job, cars, and formula speed boat. After the 4th or 5th hole I had enough and said "well with all your money I think  you could afford some golf lessons too". He was quiet the rest of the round! In your case I would have said something similar like "with all your money I would have thought you could have afforded to be a member at a private club"   

I'm a member at a private club. I'm not a silver spooner. I'm from a blue collar upbringing. My dad was a carpenter, I was a machinist for a good portion of my career. I played golf as a blue collar and nobody had an issue. Guess what, the course doesn't care either. They just want your money and for you to have a good time and come back.

But it was unfortunate that you and your friend wound up with these guys. The perception of golf being for white collar groups is outdated. This is exactly why there are so many options. Public courses, town run muni's, executive courses, resort courses and private clubs. 

Another suggestion is to find two others that you know to make it a foursome. This way you have controlled the experience to the fullest. That will make him feel at ease.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

6 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Another suggestion is to find two others that you know to make it a foursome. This way you have controlled the experience to the fullest. That will make him feel at ease.

I think there has been a lot of sound advice given in this thread, but I especially love this. I know it may not be possible to find two other friends free to play often, but I think the positive experience from this would lay a good foundation for getting your friend playing more often. 

As someone who plays a lot of solo rounds, I can tell you that anxiety creeps in thinking about getting paired up with someone else because you never know what they'll be like. Most of the time I've really enjoyed it, but I think the prospect of an abrasive personality scares me. I'm a talker here on the forum, but am usually reserved in real life so keeping a conversation going with a stranger. My social anxiety is real.

I'm very sorry your friend had a bad experience on the course and I hope it doesn't affect him going forward. 

@Goober tell your mate that some people are just arseholes, but he already knows that. I don't know where you guys are, but if you're near Ohio, give us a yell and we'll play and have a great time.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

7 hours ago, Goober said:

For some reason he doesn’t feel like he fits in with the sport 

I completely understand how he feels. I'm a Cabinetmaker by trade. I don't wear $80.00 polo shirts and $60.00 shorts/pants to play golf in. I've been told I'm not the kind of guy that should be playing this game. I've been playing for about 25 years. It is better now than it was when I started playing.

My home course is a family owned public course that caters to anyone that wants to play. Most times you'd be hard pressed to find any "business types" out there. It's mostly guys like me. We have a city muni where I live, that I flat out refuse to play. The city was sold a bill of goods and lies in order to get it passed and built... along with the citizens. It costs way too much and the snobbery is off the hook. I played there 3 times... all 3 times I almost got into it the "business snobs" that thought my kind souldn't be allowed to play on "their" course. Fine... I don't! I still play nicer courses but, I don't care what anyone has to say to me, I just tell them to f*** off!..... you get the respect you give.

Find a small public course that caters to "working" people. Your buddy will have a much better time.

I find it funny that Golf still has this problem... perceived or otherwise. Without "us" the wealthy players could not sustain the game.

Edited by silver & black
Spelling

I guess the other question i have is why is one forced to play a public course? Why can’t one play where they want if they can. It’s just an open field smacking a white ball around for gosh sakes. It’s like one is just categorizing blue collars , or bottom dwellers to lowly goat ranch public links. Where the upper echelons are behind their rod iron gate courses. So if one can pay$ they can play em. But no guarantees that the inmates in the asylum will play nice 

This world is really in some dire straights 

8 hours ago, Riverboat said:

The good guys of the world are too polite. The asshats above need to be called out. Racists, sexists, those who can't keep their political craziness to themselves, snobs...I call them all out. Amazing how quickly they get quiet when they realize that not everyone who looks like them shares their warped view of the world. There's plenty of fun topics to share on the course, I don't need their bigoted, self centered views. As mentioned above, it's also fun to kick their butts on the course.

I am the same way I do not back down from anyone period. I am a pretty laid back guy and try to get along with anyone but do not get on my bad side. John Wayne in The Shootist summed up my philosophy in life perfectly

I won't be wronged

I won't be insulted

I won't be laid a hand on

I don't do these things to others

I require the same from them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, Goober said:

I guess the other question i have is why is one forced to play a public course? Why can’t one play where they want if they can. It’s just an open field smacking a white ball around for gosh sakes. It’s like one is just categorizing blue collars , or bottom dwellers to lowly goat ranch public links. Where the upper echelons are behind their rod iron gate courses. So if one can pay$ they can play em. But no guarantees that the inmates in the asylum will play nice 

This world is really in some dire straights 

It really does stink that certain people will act better than others, there is no need for that.  It is also a shame that it impacts your friend to the point he is not able to enjoy himself.  

However I think we need to re-calibrate the "world is in dire straits" meter if we think where we play can golf comfortably is red lining the meter.  There are a lot bigger issues to resolve first.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Blows my mind that people pass judgment about who should be on a golf course based on their profession or for any other reason. I usually play solo and will end up playing with other solos that I meet up with in course. I’ve played with blue collar guys, college guys, executives, and retirees. I’ve never cared what they did for a living or how well off they are and to my knowledge they have not been concerned with what I do or make either. 

It sucks that this happened to your friend OP. Hopefully you can convince him to get back out there. There are way more laid back golfers than snobby golfers out there. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

15 hours ago, ParFore74x said:

Blows my mind that people pass judgment about who should be on a golf course based on their profession or for any other reason. I usually play solo and will end up playing with other solos that I meet up with in course. I’ve played with blue collar guys, college guys, executives, and retirees. I’ve never cared what they did for a living or how well off they are and to my knowledge they have not been concerned with what I do or make either. 

It sucks that this happened to your friend OP. Hopefully you can convince him to get back out there. There are way more laid back golfers than snobby golfers out there. 

Yep as a norm I get along with anyone regardless of age race national origin  etc as long as they act like a human being. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up. We went out last week as a two some. And had a spectacular time. Played just a ho hum public course. I know many may have read my original post in this thread and think it was odd. But this does happen on any golf course in the world. Never bothered me, but it does offend many many others. I think many just like to boast  their ego and have this entitlement above others. I don’t get it really… but maybe at my age I don’t get a lot anyways. Maybe I was just born in a different era 

A member on here messaged me and his post made sense to me. Next time it happens tell the group or individual get the F out of here. And if they refuse take out my club and start swinging. Honestly what would they do ? Not sure if that is really radical .. but a private message I received on here . What do you think ? Made me laugh anyways. But In todays world this could and probably did happen 

Edited by Goober
4 hours ago, Goober said:

I don’t get it really… but maybe at my age I don’t get a lot anyways. Maybe I was just born in a different era 

Guess I'm there with you - as I age I find it easier and easier to keep my attitude of.. "you be you and let me be me" ...

Gotta tune out the distractions and noise .. *especially* on the golf course!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One potential option might be to find 2 more golfers that you know that are not tosers and book a 4. I would advise the guys that you are simply going out to have fun. 

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 5/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, PBH3 said:

May be that he just sees his time as more valuable than to spend hours with obnoxious people. 

My approach would be to find 2 other people who are easy to get along with and who might click with his personality and make your own foursome so that you don't risk getting paired with those stereotypes who bother him.