Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

CG15 Tour Zip Grooves FORGED Wedges?

GQMike

These are spy pics from another site (sorry MGS, but they're not as big as you anyways) of a Japan only release CG15 Tour Zip Grooves FORGED wedges. No one really knows about these. I am just wondering if they'll ever be released in the U.S. Word is, they won't be. Also wondering why none of the tour guys are gaming these. But nonetheless I. WANT. THESE.

dsc08441.jpg

dsc08443.jpg

dsc08444.jpg

dsc08445.jpg

dsc08448_001.jpg

Here's a link to more info on the CG Japan website. I'm not a fan of the bounce options for these, but they are made for Japan guys who don't take much of a divot. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a U.S. version in 2011! I think there's a niche market for them here since they would be a bit pricier.

www.clevelandgolf.co.jp/club/wedges/cg15forged.html

• SPY VIP

Very nice, and not laser milled graphic on the face. a +1 for my eye.

Seems like a big product line not to have in the states.

Where is our cleveland rep? 

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Sign me up!!! I'd love to game some forged Cleveland Product..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The face is Laser Milled. It just doesn't say "Laser Milled" in script all over the face, but neither do the Tour Zip Groves CG15's here.

Oh. It doesn't look like it has the tiny mill marks between the grooves.

On 3/12/2010 at 6:29 PM, sactown said:

Very nice, and not laser milled graphic on the face. a +1 for my eye.

Seems like a big product line not to have in the states.

Where is our cleveland rep? 

All these companies put out big product lines in Japan only. A Ping rep just the other day was talking to me about that when I asked about the new forged Ping Anser Blades. He said they are just willing to spend more on clubs and expect higher end, flashier stuff.

Oh. It doesn't look like it has the tiny mill marks between the grooves.

I see what I think is the mill marks. They just aren't paint filled with the text along the toe like they are here.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

• SPY VIP

I see what I think is the mill marks. They just aren't paint filled with the text along the toe like they are here.

It looks like the text may be there too. Just not filled. There is some visual texture at the edge of the grooves in the first image.

Volvo Intorqueo

It looks like the text may be there too. Just not filled. There is some visual texture at the edge of the grooves in the first image.

I didn't see it at first but I think you're right.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

• SPY VIP

I didn't see it at first but I think you're right.

Kind of bummed me out. I think that is a mistake adding the text. It does suggest the good option of buying the wedge and removing the paintfill though.

Volvo Intorqueo

Kind of bummed me out. I think that is a mistake adding the text. It does suggest the good option of buying the wedge and removing the paintfill though.

Yeah it just looks too busy with the text. good to see that they didn't paint fill the micro grooves, if they are there at all.

On 3/13/2010 at 12:26 AM, NGage said:

You guys are picky. 

Agreed. I played around with the retail CG15's the other day. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, but the lettering isn't as distracting as everyone is making it out to be. Sheesh.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The CG15 will be a Japan only release. They retail for $199.99 and according to Cleveland, there isn't enough demand to add them to their US product line.

Well, at $200, I'm not surprised. Those are custom wedge prices. Where is that "shocked" eye twitchy emoticon when you need it..

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

The CG15 will be a Japan only release. They retail for $199.99 and according to Cleveland, there isn't enough demand to add them to their US product line.

Geez....what's the deal? Is everyone in Japan a gazillionaire or something? I mean, who's buying all that high end stuff?

The U.S is supposed to be one of the richest nations in the world, and yet they don't even choose to put that stuff out here.

• SPY VIP

Thank you for the pricing. The US wedge market does seem quite saturated right now, and at a lower price point. The average consumer would not understand the premium price of a forged club. Cleveland is very savvy. They have a better chance of selling 2 CG14's or normal CG15's in the us than one forged CG15. A player who truly wants one of these will pay the premium to get it. As would the person who just wants it for status.

Volvo Intorqueo

Geez....what's the deal? Is everyone in Japan a gazillionaire or something? I mean, who's buying all that high end stuff?

The U.S is supposed to be one of the richest nations in the world, and yet they don't even choose to put that stuff out here.

No, but golf is VERY expensive in Japan. There are very few courses and the clubs charge a premium for the privilege to play there. Mostly who you'll see are wealthy Japanese business men, celebrities, and gaijin. Tee times are difficult to come by without some advance planning or the right contacts.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

$200 for a forged wedge? Mizuno makes forged wedges here for $100.

• SPY VIP

No, but golf is VERY expensive in Japan. There are very few courses and the clubs charge a premium for the privilege to play there. Mostly who you'll see are wealthy Japanese business men, celebrities, and gaijin. Tee times are difficult to come by without some advance planning or the right contacts.

Exactly. This topic is already under discussion in another thread. Japanese "golf" for the average player can differ significantly from the US experience.

Volvo Intorqueo

Exactly. This topic is already under discussion in another thread. Japanese "golf" for the average player can differ significantly from the US experience.

On the plus side, they have some really bitchin' start of the art driving ranges. :angry:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Some are three and four stories with beverage services.

Starting to see more of that here in the US. They opened a TopGolf near my house. Double decker range, drink service, food, etc, and you hit your balls into dart board looking targets on the range and the chips in the balls report back to your monitor about where your ball landed. Pretty fun, particularly a good way to get your friends who don't golf seriously out to the range.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Some are three and four stories with beverage services.

There was a 2 story range near me when I was a kid, but it closed down after a couple of years. It was fun to see how much distance you gained from the top floor.

• SPY VIP

Starting to see more of that here in the US. They opened a TopGolf near my house. Double decker range, drink service, food, etc, and you hit your balls into dart board looking targets on the range and the chips in the balls report back to your monitor about where your ball landed. Pretty fun, particularly a good way to get your friends who don't golf seriously out to the range.

Is this outdoor or indoor? It sounds like a great beverage after work kind of bucket with the boys.

Volvo Intorqueo

Is this outdoor or indoor? It sounds like a great beverage after work kind of bucket with the boys.

It's outdoor, but they have the backside covered, there's a roof over each level, and space heaters. The way you described it is 100% on point. To just go and hit balls, it's ok, but you always feel like you have to hit shots that will go to the targets which limits you severely.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived